PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Burning scalp!

Ponymad21
December 13th, 2015, 02:46 PM
My scalp feels like it is burning! It did the same last time i washed it and baby shampoo stopped it so i uaed that as my shampoo today but i have started using a new conditioner but only in the ends?

lapushka
December 13th, 2015, 02:53 PM
What's your routine like? What do you wash with? Sulfates, mild-sulfates, no sulfates, CO-washing?
Do you have a scalp condition?
A little bit more info would help here.

Bergelmir
December 13th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Hmm...
Well, obviously the new conditioner was causing it because you already used your baby shampoo once and you didnt have the effect the first time when it has been used. Since you only used the conditioner in the ends the effect should be minor but it's still possible causing problems with your scalp because the ends are still able to have minor contact with your scalp in a indirect way. In term your scalp is extremely sensitive or even allergic, only a few minor residues are sufficient in order to cause "burning", which is probably a rather strong form of irritation. I recommend washing your scalp with lot of cold clean water and most likely it may solve your issue. You may tell us the conditioner you was using so we are able to give you advise on what to use, especially when you have a very sensitive scalp it is important to chose your conditioner wisely and with zero risky ingridients

lapushka
December 13th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Hmm...
Well, obviously the new conditioner was causing it because you already used your baby shampoo once and you didnt have the effect the first time when it has been used. Since you only used the conditioner in the ends the effect should be minor but it's still possible causing problems with your scalp because the ends are still able to have minor contact with your scalp in a indirect way. In term your scalp is extremely sensitive or even allergic, only a few minor residues are sufficient in order to cause "burning", which is probably a rather strong form of irritation. I recommend washing your scalp with lot of cold clean water and most likely it may solve your issue. You may tell us the conditioner you was using so we are able to give you advise on what to use, especially when you have a very sensitive scalp it is important to chose your conditioner wisely and with zero risky ingridients

I somehow doubt that something applied to the ends can cause scalp irritation. Unless the conditioner somehow came into contact with the scalp.

Bergelmir
December 13th, 2015, 03:10 PM
In term someone is allergic to a certain ingridients, it will only take some "swirling" of the ends in a way that it may touch the scalp softly, and the scalp will already react. Contamination of the scalp while attaching it is possible too, of course. Because most likely there is residues on the fingers and then it may have been "burning" and itchiness appeared which can happen together with the burning, so the scalp me be touched too...

But anyway, i think we really need lot more information in order to hand out a truly useful advise... so i agree with you when it comes to this matter.

vpatt
December 16th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I didn't see the OP's hair length, did I miss it? Because with short enough hair it is hard to separate the ends from the scalp. If OP has long hair then please ignore me.

Ponymad21
December 18th, 2015, 11:56 AM
My hair is waist legnth, i was using herbal essences hello hydration
I do have very sensitive skin so will try using a conditioner and shampoo that I have used previously

Ponymad21
December 18th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I have just done a patch test as my hairdresser recommend and it was the conditioner, it started burning seconds after it came in contact with my skin

lapushka
December 18th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Yes, go back to what did work in the past. Maybe it's something in the conditioner. You might consider visiting with a doctor to sort out your allergies, so you'll know, and don't throw out the conditioner - take it with you to the doctor to show him/her!

luxurioushair
December 18th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I (think) that's an allergy, it used to happen to me in specific places as a teen. Is there any tree blossoming nearby, or any weird new thing in the air e.g. people burning incense?

I don't think it's the conditioner if you only used it on the ends...

Arctic
December 18th, 2015, 03:48 PM
I have noticed on my own hair, that just like sebum can travel downwards on the hairshaft, some ingredients - at least oils - can travel upwards too. So based on my experiences with my hair (which is granted shorter than OPs), I think it's very possible for conditioner used on ends causing problems at the scalp.

lapushka
December 18th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Guys, she just said she did a patch test. ;)

Obsessed1
December 18th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I get this but only if I don't wash regularly. My scalp hates oil, which sucks for the condition of my roots because they always have to be squeaky clean or I get burning, itching, dandruff, crusty stuff. Coconut oil, olive oil, my own oil or putting any leave in product or conditioner on my scalp causes major issues. It sucks because I want to take care of my regrowth but I can't cause my scalp won't let me use anything moisturizing, and I have highlights at my scalp that need toning with purple conditioner/shampoo/leave ins. But nope, scalp wont allow it. I have to clarify wash my scalp almost daily.

Ponymad21
December 19th, 2015, 04:04 AM
My mum is going to use it and i will go back to my old routine

lapushka
December 19th, 2015, 05:23 AM
My mum is going to use it and i will go back to my old routine

Aren't you curious to find out what it is in the conditioner you're reacting to? :)