PDA

View Full Version : I SMTed

MeAndTheMaz
December 12th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Winter is experiment time for me since I work seasonal (swimming pools), and don't really need to go out in public so much.I've been thinking of doing an SMT for a while now, and today I finally did the deed. Also been intrigued by caffeine rinses/paste, so I incorporated a mashed up tablet into the mix.

I applied the goop, plastic bagged and hatted (:hmm: is that a real word?). Then watched a couple Xenas to pass the time. Now I'm just waiting to dry to see how it turns out. My scalp felt a little weird. Don't know if that was the caffeine or the fact that I was wearing a hat in the house.

Gods, I think I'm becoming one of you. :scared: If you're new here and reading this, run. Save yourself!

So anyway. :kitten:

Angelica
December 13th, 2015, 03:44 AM
I hope it comes out well for you. Good luck. :)

pailin
December 13th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I see you've come over to the dark side :)

sarahthegemini
December 13th, 2015, 08:50 AM
I never got great results from smts - they're a bit over hyped in my opinion.

Saldana
December 13th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Love SMTs. May do one today, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :) Welcome to the dark side.

Aingeal
December 13th, 2015, 09:26 AM
:happydance::happydance::happydance: Hope your hair loves it!

MeAndTheMaz
December 14th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I have to admit that I'm a bit. . .underwhelmed. My hair frequently has that velcro ends thing going on. My hair tangles if I turn my head. I was hoping that this might solve some of that. Can't say that I noticed much of a difference.

I really need the cones to keep me civilized looking, and going by Anje's fine thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) on the subject, cones don't seem to work well in the mixture. Maybe I can just slather on a dollop of a coney cond after I rinse.

I'll probably play with it for a while, but so far I'm with sarahthegemini, kind of meh about it.

sarahthegemini
December 14th, 2015, 08:37 AM
I have to admit that I'm a bit. . .underwhelmed. My hair frequently has that velcro ends thing going on. My hair tangles if I turn my head. I was hoping that this might solve some of that. Can't say that I noticed much of a difference.

I really need the cones to keep me civilized looking, and going by Anje's fine thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) on the subject, cones don't seem to work well in the mixture. Maybe I can just slather on a dollop of a coney cond after I rinse.

I'll probably play with it for a while, but so far I'm with sarahthegemini, kind of meh about it.

Yeah, I was underwhelmed and a tad disappointed. My hair thrives on protein though!

Anje
December 14th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I was underwhelmed and a tad disappointed. My hair thrives on protein though!

That might be the difference between the people who love it and the people who don't care for it. Mine passionately hates protein and loves moisture.

Nadine <3
December 14th, 2015, 10:49 AM
I was underwhelmed with them too until I nixed the aloe and added oil to the recipe. My hair doesn't care for aloe but loves honey and oil! Sometimes I add gelatin for a kick of protein and my hair loves that too.

Arctic
December 14th, 2015, 11:04 AM
That might be the difference between the people who love it and the people who don't care for it. Mine passionately hates protein and loves moisture.

My hair is like this too: loves humectants and moisture, rebels at the sight of proteins.

brickworld13
December 14th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Yeah. I don't think an SMT would agree with my hair. Heavy moisture without protein is a recipe for disaster on my locks. I needs the protein. Not every day, and not every week but at least once a month. My hair is a coney protein junkie.

school of fish
December 14th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I think Anje's assessment is a good one - all depends on what your hair likes and dislikes. If your hair is the type to crave moisture, I think the SMT is a great all-rounder that can be tweaked according to particular needs, whereas if your hair responds more to protein then the result will likely be underwhelming :)

I love my weekly SMT but I'll see if my hair continues to respond after I've grown out my damage - it's entirely possible that it's acting as palliative care to the damaged sections and that the new healthy growth will be 'meh' about it... I'll know in about 2 years ;)

MeAndTheMaz
December 15th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I guess that brings me to a very basic question. How do you know if you like proteins or moisture? In the limited experimenting that I've done, I can't really say that I've noticed a great deal of difference in my hair (then again, I'm not the most observant person in the world).

Lately, I've been ACV rinsing, and can't really say I notice any difference on the days that I don't. Also just finished a bottle of Main 'N Tail, and didn't notice any difference with or without.

Are they mutually exclusive (proteins and moisture)?

I clearly still have no idea what I'm doing.