PDA

View Full Version : Do you leave the house with a DT in your hair?

Nadine <3
December 12th, 2015, 12:23 PM
So, this morning I noticed the avocados I bought for guacamole where half bad, so I did what any normal, hair obsessed person would do. I threw one in the blender with some oil and honey and mashed it onto my hair. Now that I've done it I realized I should have at least waited until I went to the health food store! I live a few blocks away so I always walk over, but I don't want to go after dark, but I also want to leave this on for a good solid couple of hours.

Anyone just leave the house with weird things in their hair? It's wrapped up well in plastic...and I have a huge knit hat on over it to keep in heat, so you can't see the bright green in my hair at all. I DO smell strongly like guacamole, but I bet I could get away with it...

Anje
December 12th, 2015, 12:35 PM
I don't, but I don't leave much in for very long, other than dye or henna. Besides, I can't seem to avoid drips!

meteor
December 12th, 2015, 12:36 PM
:lol: Ha-ha, I haven't done anything as fun and extreme as that yet :lol: , but I have definitely gone about my day with hair heavily oiled, sometimes even with with oil+honey. But you know, a compact braided bun hides oil pretty well. If anything, oily buns look strangely better to many people (at least, from my experience, they seem to attract more compliments), they look quite polished, shiny and smooth. ;)

I've also seen some people condition their hair under plastic wraps, cover that with a wig and go about their day. I thought it was pretty clever, because the wig covered everything nicely and probably kept the heat, helping conditioning treatment penetrate hair more. I think this approach or using a hat to cover the wrap might work for people who have henna color treatments on (which can take hours) but don't have much time or can't sleep with henna treatments on.

neko_kawaii
December 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Hehe, only oil. I have however answered the door with a mud mask on. That was pretty funny.

Chocowalnut
December 12th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Yes I have before only late at night though and I didn't get out of the car.

Nadine <3
December 12th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Well, I did it LOL! I covered my head with a huge knit hat, but man you could really smell those avocados! Haha! Just ran in and out really quick for what I needed, but I couldn't make eye contacts with the guy at the register. I felt like everyone know what I was up to...lol

Now I can finish my DT with my feet up and a good book...

luxurioushair
December 12th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Strangely I've never had to leave the house while doing that. But if you have it well-hidden, why not go for it. You are hundreds of times better than the ladies who trudge down the street in their nightgowns, proudly displaying several big curlers!

Well, I did it LOL! I covered my head with a huge knit hat, but man you could really smell those avocados! Haha! Just ran in and out really quick for what I needed, but I couldn't make eye contacts with the guy at the register. I felt like everyone know what I was up to...lol

Now I can finish my DT with my feet up and a good book...

Pretty much guaranteed that nobody knew what was under there...lol good job and you've probably had a nice little adventure...

Hairkay
December 12th, 2015, 01:05 PM
I tend to keep the conditioning treatments to around 20 minutes to an hour. I may put a hat over the plastic wrap/bag but I stay home. If I'm conditioning my hair at the local leisure centre then I just sit around for 10 minutes with a plastic cap on.

Swan Maiden
December 12th, 2015, 01:10 PM
I do. However, I usually only heavily oil the length. It hides easily in a bun or a knit hat. I like to go to the sauna with oiled hair so I have to venture out of my house for that.

AutobotsAttack
December 12th, 2015, 01:24 PM
I do this entirely TOO much. Lol. As a college student, I find myself balancing a bunch of things, and y classes and study time take up a majority of my life. When I'm not working I have family matters to attend to as well. So often times I funny hobby of taking care of my hair meshing into other things I do. I've had deep conditions, hot oil treatments, and protein treatments in my hair while in class, at the grocery store, at the library, driving to see y dad, at my grandmas house, at my friends house lol. I deep condition so often that it no longer bothers me. I am a beanie person, and have a vast collection of them so I just slip one on over my plastic cap, and no one suspects a thing. My mom knows when I do this because she's around me the majority of the time and finds it funny lol. But yes, I have been out and about with a deep conditioning treatment slathered over my head lol

school of fish
December 12th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Yes. Yes I have.

Only occasionally, but I have run over to my brother's house when I have my henna/smt on. I always cover the treatment with a cheap plastic shower cap and over that goes a black jersey scarf that I wind around as a headwrap - with earrings and full makeup it looks quite deliberate ;)

lapushka
December 12th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, right? ;)

No, just kidding...

I don't think I dare go out with my hair "unfinished". Wash day is Sunday for a reason. I don't plan on seeing people that day, and my mom has the time to do my hair in all peace and quiet. It has time to dry as well.

Platzhalter
December 13th, 2015, 01:23 AM
No, I don't... it seems weird to me. But if someone else does, I wouldn't judge. It's everybody's own choice and maybe things would be different for me if I had a knit hat to cover it up.

sarahthegemini
December 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Never. I only leave the house with wet hair if I'm not going to be getting out of the car so this is insane to me!

Saldana
December 13th, 2015, 09:00 AM
I've gone out with my hair heavily oiled (hadn't planned on needing to make a trip, but needed to go out). So, I put my hair up and put a big crocheted hat on top of it. Fortunately, I live in the PNW, where basically no one looks twice at hats, even in the middle of summer. :)

AnnaBell
December 13th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I don't, no. This is largely because if I'm going to leave a treatment on for longer than a half hour or so, I'm probably just going to sleep on it and make it an overnight treatment. :razz:

I suppose I've gone out with my hair oiled, but I mostly only do the length , so it's not too noticeable in a braid or bun.

MsPharaohMoan
December 13th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Yeah, sure I have! Why not? If it's all covered by a hat no one is the wiser...

Arctic
December 13th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't. I even take my dog out just before DT so she can do her business and is more likely to let me be in peace for several hours. Few times she has needed to go when I have DT slathered on, and I have popper out with her (for a minute, more or less, just needing to take few steps from the front door) with a hat on, but I feel really self-conscious and would be mortified if a neighbour would bump into us in the hallway.

tigress86
December 14th, 2015, 04:55 AM
I have gone running several times with heavily oiled hair. I don't care what I look like when I work out, and with the hair braided or bunned, it may look like I was just sweating a lot, which I do anyway when I run.
I have also gone to the store several times with oil or deep treatment in my hair. I just throw on a hat or a hoodie over plastic wrap. Noone will notice or care.

chen bao jun
December 14th, 2015, 06:55 AM
No, but only because DTs do me no good unless I'm under a heat cap. I have low porosity hair, I could condition till the cows come home without heat and it would have no effect whatsoever. Learned that on LHC after years and years of trying to condition to change how my hair used to feel (basically just like brillo) and never having any change post-conditioning.

I have been known to go out in my nightgown though. this was a regular thing when the kids were young (doesn't everybody drive their kids to school after they miss the school bus in a nightgown with a winter coat thrown on over it?) I also have curlers in my hair when outside a lot of the time. Regularly when we have long car trips my hair is in satin covered sponge rollers that I rush to take out jsut before the rest stops. I also take walks around the block for exercise with my hair in curlers, a satin cap on over that and in the winter, a big furry beret on over that. My mother used to rail about the tackiness of certain ethnicities walking around in their hair curlers all day on Saturdays, out in public doing their errands, prepping for either Sat night parties or Sunday morning church, but it seems quite practical to me. maybe because my aunts pretty much wore hair curlers constantly when they were neither at work or church? Big giant plastic ones. Or those giant frozen orange juice cans secured on their heads with roller pins--has any one ever seen that? It s a method of making curly or wavy hair straight without heat, but its not a very permanent one, so if you would like your hair to look straight all the time, you have to curler all the time. Especially when you live without air conditioning in muggy New York summers, like we did.

ETA: My aunts would sport the rollers with full makeup and be quite dressed up, high heels and all, and everybody could tell that they had not forgotten to take the rollers off but were keeping them in on purpose. As I said, its an ethnic thing. (mom and aunts not same ethnicity)

calmyogi
December 14th, 2015, 09:00 AM
I have gone through a McDonald's drive thru with a clay mask on. It was dark and I was with my sister in law so we are kinda just goofing off more than anything because she wanted a coke. I think I also made a trip to the store with my hair very heavily oiled, If I remember correctly I put a scarf on and wrapped it up like a Tichel. I would probably go out if I had a hat or something to cover myself with even if it was avocado or something.

ahall83
December 14th, 2015, 09:15 AM
I have. Then again I do not embarrass easily. I've walked behind my children as they were walking to school with a deep treatment on and in my robe dancing to embarrass them.

Upside Down
December 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Yeeeeah, I do. I put cling foil and a cap over it all and sometimes I'd go to the store or to a friends place, by car though. Only in summer though :lol:

Zebra Fish
December 14th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Yup. Oil, honey and similar stuff that don't get notice easily (aka can be masked), but also with henna well wrapped and under a hat (and an old t-short around my neck for drippings instead of scarf^^). Used to do same with manic panic. I just kind of don't care. I've probably gone with other stuff too, but just need to remember...