PDA

View Full Version : Help with hair at work!

MartinYYw95
December 12th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Hi everybody I'm a male who works in a engineering environment where there is lots going on. machinery, welding, burning, rotating equipment and such. Anyway my hair is currently not long enough to be put into a bun/ponytail without it hurting and feel like it will cause hair loss.
Picture for reference: http://postimg.org/image/940xhfmvz/

So I have to wear a hard hat all the time, and my boss tells me that I need to tie up my hair or get a hairnet or get a haircut. what can I do? are hairnets even a option? I need to get all my hair up so its kind of not visible e.g tying all the hair in a bun and putting inside of the hard hat, which I cannot do atm.

Thanks

Anje
December 12th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Hairnets are definitely an option, and it might be a good choice, since you do need to get your hair restrained and covered close to your head. They also will have the advantage of not being lumpy. A winter hat or doo-rag could also work, but depending on conditions that could be way too warm.

When your hair gets a little longer and can be ponytailed without being too tight, a "pony scrub" hat would probably be a great option. That will also cover your hair to protect it from debris and sparks, while keeping the length low enough that you can put a hard hat over it. I wouldn't try tucking a tail or bun under the hard hat, because that will create a lump where you'd concentrate the impact if anything hit you.

Edit: a Buff (stretchy tube head thingy, Google it) would be another good option for you.

MartinYYw95
December 12th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Hairnets are definitely an option, and it might be a good choice, since you do need to get your hair restrained and covered close to your head. They also will have the advantage of not being lumpy. A winter hat or doo-rag could also work, but depending on conditions that could be way too warm.

When your hair gets a little longer and can be ponytailed without being too tight, a "pony scrub" hat would probably be a great option. That will also cover your hair to protect it from debris and sparks, while keeping the length low enough that you can put a hard hat over it. I wouldn't try tucking a tail or bun under the hard hat, because that will create a lump where you'd concentrate the impact if anything hit you.

Edit: a Buff (stretchy tube head thingy, Google it) would be another good option for you.

Anje, you're a star! I think the buff thing is really good and cool. Bought one already. Thank you very much

TR
December 12th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Anje, you're a star! I think the buff thing is really good and cool. Bought one already. Thank you very much

Amazon sells packs of buff knock-offs for a fraction of the price of the Buff branded ones. I have both the "real" and knock-off versions and actually prefer the cheap ones. Under a hard hat the buff will absorb a lot of sweat, so if you have a large supply you won't have to re-use a sweaty one. They can be laundered with your regular clothes, no special cleaning needed. Oh, and if you don't like dealing with the length of the full-size buff you can just cut it to suit. I cut mine in half, which gets all my hair under control and leaves me a bit of ventilation at the back of my head.

I have ones like these:

http://amazon.com/snowboard-dominican-turquoise-snowboarding-sweatpants/dp/B00SSZQMS8/ref=sr_1_20?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1449937635&sr=1-20&keywords=exercise+hair+band&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Nini
December 12th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Hope the buff works out for you. I've been a dairy farmer for a number of years, and a low braided bun covered with a buff and a cap on top worked like a charm for me. I'd cast a vote for getting the original though. I've had mine, three of them, for at least ten years. With almost daily use for the last eight.

TR
December 12th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Hope the buff works out for you. I've been a dairy farmer for a number of years, and a low braided bun covered with a buff and a cap on top worked like a charm for me. I'd cast a vote for getting the original though. I've had mine, three of them, for at least ten years. With almost daily use for the last eight.

My cheap ones are also used daily and washed after every use and still look great after three years; I bought six of them for the price of one original buff, so even if they don't last ten years I'm still way ahead.

Thoughtcriminal
December 12th, 2015, 10:41 AM
If you're not afraid of looking a little silly, you could try 2-3 smaller ponytails; that way the hair doesn't have to reach as far. You could also try putting the lower 3/4 of your hair in a ponytail and bobby pin the rest back.

Anje
December 12th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks for that link, TR. I've got a few originals that get used regularly, but also tend to wander off. I'd love to stuff a few more in various coat pockets, because pulling one on under my hat is about the best thing ever when the wind is bitingly cold in the winter, and because I appreciate being able to cover my hair whenever I'm doing something potentially dirty. My hubby loves them for running.

TR
December 12th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Actually I just found an even better deal than the one I previously posted and couldn't resist the new ones. I don't *need* to buy new ones because mine are all still in great condition, but I wanted some new patterns. $18 for nine, and I'll most likely cut them all in half, so at $1 per half-buff I was unable to say no. :joy:
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B012JEPVBC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Kat
December 12th, 2015, 11:09 AM
French braid? Your hair won't need to be as long to be held, and whatever is left at the end, you can rubber band. (I assume this will work. I've never done a french braid except with hair well long enough to do it, but I do know it keeps back those little wispy bits that otherwise would fluff around my face much better.)

pastina
December 12th, 2015, 04:11 PM
TR! Thank you! I used your link and bought 2 packs of 9 for my husband! Wooo!!!

lapushka
December 12th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Our local Aldi sells these sometimes, when "bike riding season" is back (usually come spring time). They repeat their offers yearly, but the designs are different; keep an eye out for that. Well at least in Belgium they do this.

TR
December 12th, 2015, 04:47 PM
TR! Thank you! I used your link and bought 2 packs of 9 for my husband! Wooo!!!

:thumbsup:

trolleypup
December 12th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Blue Sky Scrubs also has pony scrub type covers for shorter hair. FWIW, the pony scrub does not interfere with hard hat wearing.

Hair nets are less protective than a full cloth covering.