PDA

View Full Version : Does weight lifting increase hair growth??

AnnabelleLOVELY
December 11th, 2015, 09:52 PM
So I've been doing a lot of heavy lifting recently and was wondering if this helped hair growth??

PristineAllure
December 12th, 2015, 12:20 AM
So I've been doing a lot of heavy lifting recently and was wondering if this helped hair growth??

I would imagine that any type of physical activity that you're doing that causes you to break a sweat will help to trigger more hair growth, because when you're sweating on your scalp that means that the blood flow is stimulated in your hair follicles as well..Alas helping hair growth.

Arctic
December 12th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Not an expert, but if your heavy means HEAVY (like long-term, bodybuilding or olympic lifting type heavy), then it can increase testosterone hormones, which in the scalp can lead to accumulation of DHT, which can lead to hair loss. Many body builders suffer apparently from hair loss. If you google a bit you can find more, I don't have time to do a research for you now.

That being said, I never saw any negative changes in my hair when I went to gym and lifted weights. I probably wasn't using heavy enough weights for the effect I outlined above.

Agnieszka
December 12th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Once I met a girl in a gym who was seriously balding but she used to take some serious steroids, as she had massive muscles, wide jaw and deep voice like a man. But I see and know lots of women who lift very heavy (powerlifting) and are not on any illegal substances and haven't noticed any visible thinning. When you lift heavy you also must remember about providing enough calories and nutrients, as lot's is being used to build new muscles. Lifting weights surely raises testosterone levels, but not sure what quantity would cause hair loss in women. Women with androgenic alopecia very often have normal levels of testosterone but their hair follicle are sensitive even to those normal levels from what I learned from dr.Google.

-Fern
December 12th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Short answer, yes--regular exercise, including weight lifting is great for your overall health and metabolism, which boosts your hair growth. And your self-esteem. :D

If you repeatedly overextend yourself (e.g., over-exercise to the point that your period stops) it could have a negative effect. And I would avoid taking supplements with any sort of steroids in them. But I do not believe that weight lifting within a normal range would make your body produce enough testosterone to have a negative effect.

Amelia777
July 25th, 2018, 06:10 AM
I think, physical activity can cause hair growth because of blood flow and hormones, but of course, it is important to eat in a proper way. Personally I started attending gym not long ago and decided to make some parts of my body bigger. It turned out to be that I need not only a good and right complex of exercises, but also a proper nutrition. By the way, this source (https://getbigbutt.com/foods-that-make-your-butt-bigger/) provides me with all necessary information about the food. Maybe you will find it useful. As for my hair, I haven't noticed any changes yet, but as I've already said, I have only recently taken up some sports.

AutobotsAttack
July 25th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Not an expert, but if your heavy means HEAVY (like long-term, bodybuilding or olympic lifting type heavy), then it can increase testosterone hormones, which in the scalp can lead to accumulation of DHT, which can lead to hair loss. Many body builders suffer apparently from hair loss. If you google a bit you can find more, I don't have time to do a research for you now.

That being said, I never saw any negative changes in my hair when I went to gym and lifted weights. I probably wasn't using heavy enough weights for the effect I outlined above.

That’s concerning anabolic steroids. Women or men will experience hair loss when taking prolonged doses of anabolic steroids.

Those who don’t, won’t experience it, in healthy individuals, regardless of how they’ve been training.

AutobotsAttack
July 25th, 2018, 07:04 AM
I’ve been powerlifting for 4-5 years now, and compared to previous instances before I ever started training, I didn’t notice much growth, or it was extremely slow growth. Now I get an inch or just a little bit over every month or so. It’s gradual though, and my genetics more than likely play a role as well. If you decide to start weight training it’s going to have to be a life style change, and to be stuck with a for while. I’m talking well over 5+ years.

More than anything I try to eat at least 160-190 grams of protein a day, and adequate amounts of green veggies, and carbs. Fruits too.

Ive considered anabolic steroids but I feel like it’s not necessary, but I don’t judge those that do use them.