PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle for my wedding

Anabell
December 11th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Hello everyone,
I know I wasn't very active lately. But I'm getting married!
And I want your advice. I decided to do my hair by myself. My idea is to make a 5 strand dutch braid. It is relatively easy to me but still looks complicated. What do you think? Do you have any ideas what I can add in addition? I want it to look interesting from the front too. Also, and more importantly, I wanted to ask if any of you know were I can get good quality hair jewelries, preferably online with worldwide shipping (I'm not from U.S).

My hair is a bit longer than classic, ii\iii thickness, very tangly and heavy. Coconut oil do wonders. It is still tangly but it much easier to separate it. I consider put some of it before styling my hair. What do you think? Any other hair advices for the wedding?
I am very nervous (in general) :/

TR
December 11th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Hmmm. Five strand Dutch braids are so pretty! Are you thinking of putting the braid up or leaving it down? Either way you could braid one or two fancy ribbons through the strands, maybe ones with pearls or some other addition, in colors to coordinate with your dress or your bridesmaid dresses (if you're having bridesmaids). In the front you can do a few accent braids or a decorative comb, clip, or hairband. I'm sorry I can't help with websites that have worldwide shipping, I only pay attention to US shipping. Though I *think* I've seen a banner on the Lilla Rose website that they do international shipping.

meteor
December 11th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Wow, congratulations, Anabell, on the upcoming wedding! :joy:

I think Five-strand Dutch is super-gorgeous! :applause Since you want to make it more interesting from the front, I'd recommend accent braids. It's enough to do just one or 2 or 3 little braids from the hairline till it meets the rest of the hair. Lace-braiding in the front or twists in the front can look great, too.

Some other festive braids that come to mind are: the Pull-through Braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbVaJ509kA), Arwen's Battle Braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NC-R2iLNY), Rapunzel Braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvNHYdVVB0)

I'm not much help with bridal hairtoy vendors (I hope other LHC-ers will jump in on this :) ), but I think even using non-hair-related silver or pearl-based jewelry (e.g. necklaces) for weaving through your braid(s) can add a nice touch to the overall look.

I wish you a wonderful wedding day and a very happy marriage! :cheer:

TR
December 11th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Oh, I didn't even think of necklaces to weave through, very fancy! I was just thinking of pretty decorated ribbon from a fabric or craft store.

Anabell
December 12th, 2015, 02:59 AM
Thank you all for the advices!
Ribbon is definetly a good idea. I just need to figure out how long it will need to be. I tried today the rope braids- they look very interesting and the whole thing looks more complicated. It will require more practice to see how to make them flatter my face and also to make the sections more even at the end of the hair adding (some sections got more hair than the others). I thought maybe a flexy eight will be nice, and then I will be able to use it later. I will leave my braid down because it is very heavy and I don't won't to get a headache in my wedding. Also, I will be worried all the time that it will come apart and fall out. Wearing the hair down, in the other hand is also will be a disaster. I don't want to think about all the tangles I get in the morning. Also there will be a lot of people, some of them will hug me. And my hair will caught on their rings and clothes. I know it sounds like a little thing but it will be very annoying if it will happened multiple times. And it is easier to wear it like that than make them all long hair aware.
I wish I just could wear it down without any hairstyle and married in the woods like some elfish princess. But than not going to happened.

vpatt
December 12th, 2015, 06:16 AM
I just saw on LHC a member who made a garland for a wedding hairstyle. StellaKatherine made a garland for Sarahlabrynth.

I agree that a woodland wedding wood be awesome. Congrats.

TR
December 12th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Will you have much time between the wedding ceremony and the reception party? If so, maybe you could enjoy your hair down for the ceremony, then braid it before the reception so that you can enjoy the festivities without worrying about tangles or mishaps.

Anabell
December 12th, 2015, 08:56 AM
I just saw on LHC a member who made a garland for a wedding hairstyle. StellaKatherine made a garland for Sarahlabrynth.

I agree that a woodland wedding wood be awesome. Congrats.

Yeah, I know. But it too much logistic problems... I wasn't sure that the older members will be comfortable with that. I saw someone in LHC make a tread about her wedding- it was 3 camping days. I have to be honest, I wasn't able to sleep in the woods the night before the wedding, but still it sounds really cool.

Will you have much time between the wedding ceremony and the reception party? If so, maybe you could enjoy your hair down for the ceremony, then braid it before the reception so that you can enjoy the festivities without worrying about tangles or mishaps.
No, not much. And it will be too stressful to do it with limit of time. Even though it take me like 30 minutes which isn't very long (a salon visit with professional hairdresser will take longer) I have to take some spare time.

I saw the Lilith Rose site and there some really great hair toys (in general). I asked her if they ship worldwide. I really hope they are, it is really good excuse to purchase Flexy-8.

meteor
December 12th, 2015, 11:38 AM
If you worry about headaches and potential bun malfunctions, but still want to put hair up during part of the day, braided updos are best, because even if it falls down, you'll still have your decorated braid, with all the accents still intact. And it gives you the option of showing off your braid without any fuzziness that inevitably happens to braids if they are worn down all day long (keeping it up keeps the fuzzies at bay, until you are ready to take it down). Any braid can be turned into an updo within a minute or less. :)

TR
December 12th, 2015, 11:43 AM
True, and a five-strand Dutch braid with fancy things woven in would make an amazing start for an updo, especially if you use a flexi-8 to secure the updo.