PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil Everyday?

Soullurre
December 11th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Anyone here use coconut oil daily? I went to an allergist months ago and he told me I don't have severe allergies. Told me to keep my hair and scalp greasy and don't use shampoo.

Anje
December 11th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Usually not coconut oil for me -- it's not great on my skin or hair. Not terrible, just not great. But I almost always oil my damp hair fresh out of the shower, so it's got at least a little oil on it any time it's not actively being washed. I refresh that if it feels like it needs more. Ideally, I'd find an oil that skin and hair both love; emu is OK for me, so is sesame, and I'm starting to experiment with avocado oil right now. Some people really like sunflower oil, and it's generally regarded as non-comedogenic and non-irritating.

Your hair texture and skin may very well make you want to use more oil than I do -- my hair gets stringy in a bad way if I use much, and my scalp makes a decent quantity of sebum on its own. If yours just soak it up and still look good, reapplying between washes definitely would be a thing.

meteor
December 11th, 2015, 01:06 PM
I used to oil my scalp pretty frequently (every 2-3 days) with coconut oil infused with some Indian herbs (e.g. Vatika coconut oil, enriched with amla, neem, brahmi, etc) and I liked it a lot. It kept my scalp moisturized and problem-free, but it can be very YMMV, and I feel like everyone should look for their own solutions to match the skin's current needs. For example, SD can actually be fueled by oils rich in oleic acid...

In the end, I stopped oiling scalp because it got too involved for my benign neglect approach and I like to stretch washes more now. But it can be wonderful for some scalps. I'd recommend watching the shedding rates though: some people report shedding more with scalp oiling.

spidermom
December 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM
No - my scalp gets oily pretty fast on its own. I only use coconut or olive oil the day before or several hours before washing my hair.

Bergelmir
December 11th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I think, using a oil on the scalp every single day is simply overkill. Usually i'm not even oiling my scalp because i have a very greasy skin in general, so my skin including scalp is producing a high amount of sebum. In term i do oil my scalp or hairs i would be getting totally stick and shaggy hear with increased risk of felt. But this is just my own case and experience and everyone got different needs. I don't know how much of sebum your scalp is producing but aparently it seems to be very few, so even your doctor is recommending oiling it and not to use any shampoo. So i think, we all got very different conditions and needs, it's simply very hard to judge. At least one thing is clear: The scalp should never ever become dry, a thin film of oil or sebum is critical for its health. But i would not go insane oiling it, simply use a moderate quantity and use exactly as much as you feel comfortable with. Maybe every second day is sufficient without to much side effects on the hair.

Some words about coconut oil: Not a bad oil in general but it is a kind of oil which is very heavy/fatty because it is mainly containing saturated fat and those acids are known to be very dominant and long lasting. Olive and argan oil is less heavy/fatty than coconut oil but still pretty heavy and long lasting. Some people say macadamia oil is very comparable to the natural sebum and in that term a good option, but i can't verify it. Another oil with very high balance is known as sancha inchi oil, this type may have the best balance of any oil when it comes to Omega 3, 6 +9 acids. The advantage is the light nature of sacha inchi oil because a high amount of unsaturated acids will mean that the oil is thinner and in general will fade faster than a very heavy "fatty" type of oil. However, in term a oil got to much Omega 9 and not enough vitamine E, it can become very unstable and in that term not the best option for cosmetic or general skin care. Sacha Inchi is different because high vitamine E and not to much Omega 9 content.

Rwgarding "non-comedogenic and non-irritating", i would not place a bid on this matter because in general a body can react to almost any type of oil but naturally some oils may have improved risk. However oil with highest risk for irritations is usually oils containing essential oils, although those oils may have very high potential when used in a appropriate amount. For example rosemary is known to be a useful hair tonic, mainly because of its oil which is essential. Oil with high amount of saturated acids are genrerally more comedogenic than a oil with low amount. But just as i told, every body may react different, so it's almost unavoidable testing them out. Small samples may be great but hard to get (maybe trade with forum users). In term money is rather limited and no trade partner available i would be stick to the general rules i already told. When a body is having high acne issues i would generally not use oils with to much saturated acids and in term the skin or scalp is with high risk for irritation i would be careful with essential oils and oils with to much Omega 9.

Finally... every body may react different, you may have to try them out, there is much more useful oils of course but it will be overkill posting them all in a single post, i feel. You may post your ideas and experience and i may write some of my guessing, knowledge or simply how i feel. I hope you will be sucessfull at some point.

Goatcraft
December 11th, 2015, 01:28 PM
My scalp seems to get oily after just a couple of days, so I only oil my scalp twice a month - but I use coconut oil on my ends everyday to every other day.

Bergelmir
December 11th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Some added stuff i forgot to tell regarding oils: I would recommend using food-grade oils for your skin, there is generally no need for "cosmetic grade" oils. But even some of the food grade oils can be worse so it doesn't mean it will be safe just to buy food grade. But in general, a great oil can be used absolutely everywhere, food, skin or whatelse. Don't be cheap on the quality of oils. Most sunflower oils for example are totally insufficient; A great sunflower oil is not refined, same will count for any other oil and in term a big bottle of oil is bad on your scalp it can still be used for food, it's never a waste paying some additional money because useful oils with health effects is a matter of quality, not just the type of oil. Ultimately this is my own approach on how i deal with this matter, but people should never forget that we all may have different needs.

lapushka
December 11th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Anyone here use coconut oil daily? I went to an allergist months ago and he told me I don't have severe allergies. Told me to keep my hair and scalp greasy and don't use shampoo.

Does it have to be coconut oil? Or is that the only oil you want to use?

What are you going to be cleansing your scalp with then? :)

Bergelmir
December 11th, 2015, 02:08 PM
I have to admit, using coconut oil daily and without using any shampoo sounds pretty hardcore and i would not recommend it in general. But just as i already told, i cant judge the individual situation and i try to avoid making some hard statements. I rather try to recommend some useful alternatives and advice without being to restrictive.

turtlelover
December 11th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I oil the length of my hair lightly right before a wash, usually every other time I wash. I don't soak it, but definitely put a noticeable amount in, enough to leave it a bit greasy looking. I never put oil anywhere near my scalp, and my hair goes flat if I use anything but the tiniest amount, so I save it for pre-wash only.

Hairkay
December 12th, 2015, 02:02 AM
I use coconut a little oil daily except on some cold winter days. I put it on the damp length of hair focusing on the ends of the hair. Oh and I don't use shampoo or any manufactured conditioner.

Soullurre
December 12th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Thanks everyone. :) I'll use it as a prepoo. I tried leaving it on for more than 24 hours and my scalp was so sore. Ugh never again.

lapushka
December 12th, 2015, 04:01 AM
Thanks everyone. :) I'll use it as a prepoo. I tried leaving it on for more than 24 hours and my scalp was so sore. Ugh never again.

Yes, but I thought you weren't supposed to use shampoo. Now I'm confused. :confused:
What will you use for a cleansing agent, then?

Platzhalter
December 13th, 2015, 01:27 AM
Not using coconut oil in winter, but I used the stuff almost daily when it was warm and washed my hair only once a week... didn't seem to be causing any problems.

betterhairday
December 13th, 2015, 03:25 AM
I prefer argan oil, less "heavy". Mine is Pro Naturals Moroccan argan oil that I apply it to the ends but not to the scalp after every shampoo & condition before hair drying and heat styling. Normally wash every 3 days and I find this works really well as a heat protectant.

woolyleprechaun
December 13th, 2015, 05:34 AM
I'm as oily as a mackerel- the thought of oiling my scalp that much worries me! I do oil the ends frequently, probably not daily though. As a weekly washer I try not to do anything that would necessitate in more frequent washes. A weekly scalp oiling tends to keep my scalp problems at bay.

Len
December 13th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Since my hair is short now I don't need to oil at all since the sebum coats my length in a matter of days. But when it was longer, I didn't oil my hair or scalp daily, only as needed.

sarahthegemini
December 13th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Yes, but I thought you weren't supposed to use shampoo. Now I'm confused. :confused:
What will you use for a cleansing agent, then?

I'm confused too......

Bergelmir
December 13th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Since my hair is short now I don't need to oil at all since the sebum coats my length in a matter of days. [...]
Sebum is not only procuded by scalp but the entire skin is covered with sebum. Because my skin is pretty oily all the time and i sleep with open hair they are in touch with my oily skin, even the ends. This way the hair is entirely picking up a lot of sebum in a very short time. But i don't know for how long im gonna sleep with open hair as it may not be the best option in long term. So far it seems to be non problematic and i usually keep the hair sidewards of me, so i do not put lot of force on them. I'm not a ruffian, i sleep in a gentle manner, it may help for not causing issues doing so.

@Lapushka & co.: Agree, sounds somewhat confusing... there is contradictions incompatible with what she said on first post.