PDA

View Full Version : Does a BBB make you shed more?

Entangled
December 10th, 2015, 10:10 PM
My normal detangling routine is just using my tangle teezer. I have a very low shed rate when using it. When I use a BBB, my shed hairs in the brush soars. I like using a BBB because it make my scalp feel cleaner, but on the other hand, it doesn't really distribute any oil past my ears and seems to be causing an increase in shedding. I also notice a big increase in shedding when I go three days without a wash rather than two, but with a BBB I see no significant difference between day two shed and day three shed, but all are higher than a TT shed. I don't have a significant shower des to my knowledge. So, to use a BBB or not? What am I doing wrong with the oil not going anywhere past my ears?

school of fish
December 11th, 2015, 05:00 AM
I seem to get far less shedding using my TT than using anything else, I don't know why. There's less hair collected in the TT and there's less that falls on the floor or in the shower as well.

I ended up having to abandon my BBB because what I had thought were shed hairs being collected in it was actually breakage - it took me months to realize it. That was about 2 years ago, and I still have a lot of canopy and underlayer damage to show for it, but it's growing out. It made me sad to have to give up the BBB because I had really wanted it to work for me, but it just didn't.

As it turns out, my hair doesn't like its own sebum - I know that sounds counterintuitive but in my case it seems to be the case. I have to go to lengths to *prevent* any sebum collection on my strands, otherwise I get tiny, tight sticky tangles that result in damage and breakage. So someone else would likely be better qualified to address that part of your question ;)

lapushka
December 11th, 2015, 05:54 AM
I used to use a mixed BBB (with nylon) in the past to detangle after combing the hair. I have a TT now, for almost 10 years (ever since they came out, I mean). I noticed a lot less "pulling" on the scalp and so yes, I lost less hair. The BBB is heavier in the tugging dept., I find.

school of fish
December 11th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I used to use a mixed BBB (with nylon) in the past to detangle after combing the hair. I have a TT now, for almost 10 years (ever since they came out, I mean). I noticed a lot less "pulling" on the scalp and so yes, I lost less hair. The BBB is heavier in the tugging dept., I find.

Yes lapushka, this makes sense to me too! The BBB definitely created more 'pull' on my scalp, and along with it that little popping sensations of strands being pulled out at the root. This was even with a very gentle touch, soft pressure and slow patient brushing after thorough detangling. There just seems to be more drag on my strands and pressure on my roots with the BBB than with the TT, so I'm going with what works :)

Ve
December 11th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Me too - had a lot more hairs pulling out with the BBB and breaks on the last 1 to 2 inches. No matter how much I like it I can't seem to use it on my fine hair.

spidermom
December 11th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I think it would take more than a BBB to actually pull hairs out by the roots. It's not that easy to do; try it with fingers. The little popping noises complained of above may be of shed hairs being pulled from still-attached hairs.

Of course I don't know for sure. This is merely my opinion based on my experiences.

Chromis
December 11th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I had more breakage with the TT than a BBB. I don't like to brush all the way to the ends though, I like the BBB to smooth my scalp and only maybe half of my length. I also only use it after my hair is completely detangled and not every time.

lapushka
December 11th, 2015, 09:39 AM
When you're 1, I say go for a BBB, but once you're firmly in the 2s, no way. It *so* messes up your wave pattern and because it needs to go through a pattern it tugs more.

Entangled
December 11th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I haven't felt anything unpleasant or even noticed any breakage. My BBB feels great on my scalp. It's just that when I empty it, I notice waaaay more shedding.

Chromis
December 11th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I haven't felt anything unpleasant or even noticed any breakage. My BBB feels great on my scalp. It's just that when I empty it, I notice waaaay more shedding.

I do notice a lot more shedding when I use a BBB, but if I pull out hairs to look at them, they have root bulb, so I know it is not breakage. You might try the same experiment to check. I have looked a couple of times and concluded that it just seems to remove those hairs that had either already shed or were about to at least for me. Different hair types will vary of course!

school of fish
December 11th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I think it would take more than a BBB to actually pull hairs out by the roots. It's not that easy to do; try it with fingers. The little popping noises complained of above may be of shed hairs being pulled from still-attached hairs.

Of course I don't know for sure. This is merely my opinion based on my experiences.

Not popping noises - popping sensation, feeling, and at the root :) The snap of a breaking hair has a different feel & sound.

I actually do lose hair at the root quite easily - if my skin is damp and a hair gets stuck to it, if I'm not careful to release it with my fingers that 'suction' to the skin is enough to pull the root out of the follicle! This may well be a unique phenomenon to me :)

school of fish
December 11th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Double post, sorry!

Entangled
December 11th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I do notice a lot more shedding when I use a BBB, but if I pull out hairs to look at them, they have root bulb, so I know it is not breakage. You might try the same experiment to check. I have looked a couple of times and concluded that it just seems to remove those hairs that had either already shed or were about to at least for me. Different hair types will vary of course!
I do know it's shedding, because the hairs are full/length with root bulbs attached. I'm just noticing a lot more falling out than with a brush, but I'm not sure if it's just cumulative, or if will actually cause a decrease in thickness, because even when I BBBed everyday, I still noticed a higher shed rate.