PDA

View Full Version : Braided Chinese Bun tips mash-up

Wildcat Diva
December 10th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Hopefully I can explain this without a video or diagram.
ETA:
Added video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avl3ykSPaw4

There are a few variants on the braided Chinese Bun. I combined a few of the variants together into a method that works for me. This method allows me to wear some huge hairtoys like my Nightblooming swords, Quattro shillelaghs, and ONN axes without them drooping.
I also figured out how to cover the elastic in a way I liked better than some others I have seen.
I hope this helps someone.
Ok, here I go.

Start with a mid to low ponytail with elastic. I have to use the elastic to have the security for the stick to not droop if it is a top heavy one. Separate into two parts then braid each part. I will call these 1 and 2. 1 is the left and 2 is the right (when looking at the back of the head).
Insert stick behind elastic. Pretty much with stick a little lower than elastic.

Now we are gonna wrap these one at a time. Take either one, I will use left braid #1, for example. Go under and behind the stick on the left side, clockwise. Go over the top of the stick to the pony elastic, cover it up and wrap DOWN, to the right of #2, in between 2 and the stick. Keep going clockwise, wrap under 2, go under where you started, behind the stick on left side again. Go up across the top of the bun and behind the stick on the right side. This is where I have to tuck the end in and secure with Amish pin if needed. If you have more length, keep going around and around behind the sticks.

So, you still have braid 2. Braid 2 is simpler because you already did the little trick to cover the elastic with braid 1.
Braid 2 goes under the stick on the right side, counter clockwise. Wrap high across the top of the bun, and behind the stick on the left side. Keep going counter clockwise under the bun behind the stick and over the bun and behind stick, round and round until you run out of length and secure the ends under when you run out of length.

Hope you guys understand. I may make a video at some point.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/BD4281D7-E7FD-4762-9708-1C07520707D4_zpsnca5svdm.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
December 10th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure I understand all the wrapping instructions, but it gives a lovely result and - I hope you will make a tutorial at some stage :)

Entangled
December 10th, 2015, 09:35 PM
So basically doing it one half at a time, wrapping one braid in between the hanging braid and the elastic, then following suit with the other braid?
If that's what you mean, great! I always have trouble hiding the elastic.
What are the benefits of stabbing the stick behind the elastic as opposed to through it?

Wildcat Diva
December 10th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Inserting the stick under the elastic in the first place secures it to your head really steady.

No, the braids are wrapped differently. The first braid gets wrapped behind the stick on the left side , then over the elastic and down between braid 2 and In front of the right side of the stick (as opposed to behind the stick on the right side.)

Keep going round under where you started with braid 1, keep going behind left side of the stick and round the whole bun ,and behind the right side stick this time, always clockwise.

Then, Braid two simply gets wrapped Behind the sticks counter clockwise.

Entangled
December 10th, 2015, 10:12 PM
I'm not following too well. I guess I'll wait and see if a video comes up.

Wildcat Diva
December 10th, 2015, 10:26 PM
I'll see what I can do on that video tomorrow. Sorry if I am confusing you guys. If I had photoshop skills I could just draw two different colored swirlies on the picture of my bun and you would get it probably.

TR
December 11th, 2015, 05:35 AM
I get it, very cool! The resulting bun looks complex but actually seems easy to do from your instructions. I'd better figure out how to bookmark this thread, at only pixie length it will be a very long time before I can attempt it. I might be able to fake it with paranda braids in a year or so though...

DreamSheep
December 11th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I'm all up for hearing Chinese bun tips (I'm quite bad at them - although I learnt some great tips at the London Meet ^_^ sadly I haven't been able to replicate them). I must know though, what is the stick you're wearing?? It's amazing!!

Wildcat Diva
December 11th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I made a video that I am fairly happy with on the first try. It's not perfect. But. It's taking me all morning to upload to YouTube.
It's at 2 percent uploaded after two fails.
Sigh. I'll keep trying.

Dreamsheep, it's a Quattro Shillelagh. You can see them in the shop right now, and check the sold items more more listed recently and sold.

I can't keep uploading. I made it to eleven percent but I have to go to work and take my computer and I can't upload on the wifi there or access YouTube. I can't install any software to help convert the movie to a different format. iMovie doesn't recognize my YouTube sign in, although I am signed in on the YouTube app on the same phone with the same login info. Technology has beaten me for today.

Wildcat Diva
December 11th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I'm back home and uploading again. Up to 29 percent! The bun I made in the video held all day long.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/5C2BAAC3-6A33-453C-BCC6-24AD88BB5103_zpsw83ypwc0.jpg
Even though a ponytail elastic to start the bun is not my favorite thing, for large or top heavy sticks this IS a hassle-free, effective way to go.

I also thought of a little story that helps explain the first braid's journey. Kind of like if we learned about the little bunny when we learned to tie our shoes.

Here goes...
First braid is at first very shy and unsure of herself. At first, she ducks down and behind the stick on the left side. She looks up, and sees the second braid sitting there looking all cocky. She is jealous, and swings out and captures the second braid, right at its base before ducking back behind the stick again on the left side. Pleased with herself, first braid swings up with a mind to now move to conquer the whole bun. She swings up and around, claiming the whole top of the bun for herself, ducking behind the stick on the right side, and winding around and around the entire bun to claim her victory.

Clarkie
December 11th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Even if I never attempt this, I sure did enjoy the pics and the bunny story. :)
This actually sounds like something I could do! I'm anxiously awaiting the video as well.

Wildcat Diva
December 11th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Ok. Here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avl3ykSPaw4

Husband watches me previewing video... "Are you putting stuff on the fricking internet?" Snort.

Entangled
December 11th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Ohhh, now I get it. Wonderful!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 11th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Me too - a great video, thank you - and awesome daggers!

Wildcat Diva
December 12th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys. Usually teenaged son is good at videoing. And he is taller than me and it helps. He seems to hold the camera real steady and moves in close and back out to show stuff. I wish he would have stayed in close right at the end when I turned my head to show the bun.

Did y'all like it when my braid popped down when I was trying to get the second dagger in? Hahahahaha.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 12th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Yes;) I watched it a second time and you dropped your braid THE SECOND TIME TOOOO!!!! HAHAHAHA! Your son is a great photographer by the way!

PristineAllure
December 12th, 2015, 12:18 AM
The video was great.

meteor
December 12th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Wow, what an excellent, crystal-clear tutorial, Wildcat Diva! :applause Thanks so much for sharing your technique with us! :blossom:

I loved both the end result and the in-between style (where one braid is already bunned but the other one is still left hanging - it looks phenomenal and very warrior-like with that awesome hair dagger! :D).

And I must say: your hair weaponry looks incredible in your hair! :thud:

-Fern
December 12th, 2015, 05:00 PM
WD, I am COMPLETELY enamored of your double hair swords. And you wear them so well! :D

Vanilla
December 12th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Diva, you're adorable! I loved the video.

I will have to try this variation. I can't seem to get Chinese buns to ever stay in my hair, even with pins, using the traditional wrapping technique.

Wildcat Diva
December 12th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Hey! Thanks all of you. I had hoped you guys could see what I meant. I am glad y'all liked it.

Wildcat Diva
December 12th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Now, the next challenge... Can I get anyone besides me to post a pic?
I liked this pic but did notice the a smidge of the elastic is visable. I thought I had solve that problem but never mind.

Does anyone have an attempt they want to share?
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/C8EFA885-0A89-4C6B-9E40-AC48B42BBDF0_zpsmh1wdzab.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
December 12th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Yes, I tried it today, and thought it looked good :)

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6375.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6341.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6377.jpg

Wildcat Diva
December 13th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Oh Sarah! Hooray, that does look beautiful. Good job!

Vanilla
December 19th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I tried this last week, and I got a regular Chinese bun (not braided) to stay in my hair most of the day without pins. I did not get a picture yet unfortunately.

This hair style wins!

Wildcat Diva
December 19th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Oh yay! You tried it not braided and it worked well? That's cool Vanilla!
ETA: it worked non braided for me too.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/876C7789-6155-415F-81C7-067A2256F1B9_zpsxvaf8rux.jpg

Vanilla
December 19th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Yup! I think the separate wrapping technique actually holds down the ends at different places in my bun, and they don't escape as easily. I've never been able to wear a Chinese bun until now. Huge milestone!

I think this technique will be successful for me for braided buns when I get a little bit more length.