PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To My Hair On Keto

LaurelSpring
December 9th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Here is a link to someone I have been following. I have been using her program for awhile and I like it. She puts out a video every week and this one is on hair so I thought that I would share it in case it would be helpful to anyone.

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/12/video-what-happened-to-my-hair-on-keto/

Buttercup1223
December 9th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I've been doing low carb and Carb Nite Solutions since May, but I don't really a notice in my hair. I do believe that when I was eating a lot of healthy greens and drinking lots of water that it helped my skin.

Sterlyn
December 9th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I've been doing a high fat, very low carb diet since early spring. The only hair related change I've seen is a drastic decrease in how oily my scalp is.

My scalp has always been extremely oily, even approaching 50 didn't change it. I had to wash daily, I managed to stretch to every other day washes, my scalp and hair didn't look great but since I wasn't heading out to work everyday and needing to look professional I could get away with it.

When I made the diet change within a very short time, I was able to go a week between washes. To say I was floored was an understatement. I was able to use dry shampoo's to correct the cowlicks and bedheadedness I get in the morning but really didn't need them to clean my hair. The scalp itchiness I usually experienced if I skipped more than one day between washes vanished too. The only time I will experience a bit of extra oiliness is a few days before my cycle, if it's making an appearance, but even that isn't even close to what I dealt with daily most of my life.

I didn't notice any changes in shedding or hair quality to speak of. I couldn't give an honest opinion on whether is affected my hair growth positively or negatively as I've done so many things to my hair since summer/fall (3 trims and a perm) that it would be impossible to judge.

Anyway my experience for what it's worth and it's a topic I find interesting.

lapushka
December 9th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Sterlyn, you had a perm, didn't you? When I had my perm I could go for a few weeks without washing for a few months since I had the perm, until my roots started growing out. Might be that.

Sterlyn
December 9th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I would agree with you on perms drying hair and scalp Lapushka, but the diet changes came in April/May and my hair changed really quickly after that. I got the perm in Sept.

It could be approaching menopausal related changes, but still not technically in menopause yet. I've gone 3 month stretches with no cycle and hair was still pretty oily, as I remember it. So who knows maybe just quirky body changes that could have happened for any number of reasons.

I'm not willing to add carbs and starches back in at this point to see if my scalp would revert back to the way it was. :p

lapushka
December 9th, 2015, 02:08 PM
I would agree with you on perms drying hair and scalp Lapushka, but the diet changes came in April/May and my hair changed really quickly after that. I got the perm in Sept.

It could be approaching menopausal related changes, but still not technically in menopause yet. I've gone 3 month stretches with no cycle and hair was still pretty oily, as I remember it. So who knows maybe just quirky body changes that could have happened for any number of reasons.

I'm not willing to add carbs and starches back in at this point to see if my scalp would revert back to the way it was. :p

You're right - could be anything, but if you feel great on a particular method / diet, don't change it for anything.