PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going to cut it!

mamaherrera
December 8th, 2015, 09:08 AM
I was hoping to grow my hair long because I discovered three years ago that I had some type of curl to my hair, probably 2C. So I was excited to get rid of all layers and grow it out and see how curly it could get. But obviously I'm not the right kind of curl, because the longer it gets, the less curl it's getting. So I guess my "experiment" has come to an end. Plus, I was hoping to get super big buns/updos with "long" hair but I just don't have "enough" hair (pore-wise) to get any kind of "big" lwbs or braided buns, etc. to make it worthwhile for me. See here, how much curl I've lost. Oh well!!
first two are BEFORE:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=14045
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=14046

And now:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=20276
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=20275

sweetaj
December 8th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Wow, I love your hair! Have you tried any product changes to encourage your curl to come back? How much length will you cut off? I might not be looking at it right, but it looks like your hair is longer in your before pics?

ETA: nevermind about the length comment, I wasn't looking close enough.

mamaherrera
December 8th, 2015, 09:32 AM
you even made me recheck, it should be longer!! I hope! I did have a trim, but a small, trim.

And in the before pics, I didn't use product either, so I don't know what I would use to get curl.

mamaherrera
December 8th, 2015, 09:40 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=20277--current length
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=20278--10 months ago
You're right--not much length difference, but still it's obvious loss of curl. Don't know why.

sweetaj
December 8th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Do you clarify at all? Also, if your layers are growing out, it's probably pulling more curl out. I still think it's beautiful though, and I'm seriously envious! ;)

Nadine <3
December 8th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Why not have a few layers put back in? Layers can help encourage curls. When I got here I started CO washing and discovered my hair was very wavey, but as i grew out my layers and gained length they got more and more pulled out just like you're experiencing.

mamaherrera
December 8th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Do you think that Neutrogena DAndruff shampoo with salicylic acid would count as clarifying?? thanks. . . I just am hoping to get curl back, and it seems when I have those layers, the curls do pop more, but I hate how it looks with straggly ends, so I was actually hoping to get a blunt cut. .. . maybe not a good idea?

turtlelover
December 8th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Mamaherrara, I think my hair is similar in that is loses curl as it gets longer. I also don't like the thin ends that a lot of layers give. What seems to help me is to keep the layering more in the front and do some angling on the sides in a strong U shape. It does make updos harder, but looks much better down, sadly.

momschicklets
December 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Oh my gosh! Your hair is just so beautiful so my brain is screaming "nooooooo!!!!" Curly or not-so-curly it's just stunning. Just thought I should let you know :p

Agnes Hannah
December 8th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Don't Cut!!

Why not have a few layers put back in? Layers can help encourage curls. When I got here I started CO washing and discovered my hair was very wavey, but as i grew out my layers and gained length they got more and more pulled out just like you're experiencing.

This^^^^^ Pleeeaaasseeee!!!

spidermom
December 8th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Something else to keep in mind is that hair can change over time. One of the reasons I cut my hair from tailbone to waist with layers a year or more ago is because I wanted my 2C curl back. Nope. All I got was shorter hair, which was fine; I enjoyed the change. However, for whatever reason, my hair is no longer 2C. I have more of a 2A wave now. A little curl pops out every once in awhile, but my hair has changed, and that is that. There's no bringing back something I no longer have.

Kwantslonghair
December 8th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Why not give it a few more months, try some different products. It would be a shame to cut that gorgeous hair. Mine goes through periods where it just looks bad..like a month or 2. Whether it's long or not...then it goes away and I am so happy I didn't cut it

chen bao jun
December 8th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Wow, you're really pretty. With a whole lot of pretty hair. You will look nice whatever you decide to do, but I think its kind a shame to cut your hair which is lovely in both incarnations.

DaveDecker
December 8th, 2015, 11:48 AM
I see nothing wrong in any of the pictures. Just beautiful hair. No need for cutting. :flower:

littlestarface
December 8th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Your after pictures look like my hair from the back, so I know I feel you. Your before picture with the curls is just so gorgeous tho!

gthlvrmx
December 8th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Do you think that Neutrogena DAndruff shampoo with salicylic acid would count as clarifying?? thanks. . . I just am hoping to get curl back, and it seems when I have those layers, the curls do pop more, but I hate how it looks with straggly ends, so I was actually hoping to get a blunt cut. .. . maybe not a good idea?

The Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo counts as clarifying.

mamaherrera
December 8th, 2015, 12:29 PM
so I don't need clarifying. Thanks for that and thanks for all the compliments and ideas and feedback. Here's the other thing. my ponytail circum has dropped down like .25-.5 inches, which has me stressed (and it's not just a day-to day thing, it's the new measurement) so I'm paranoid and my family insists it's probably just the extra length that doesn't allow it to "poof" like before which could change the measurement. So I'm tempted for that reason too, as my braids look smaller as well. I am just so amazed with your "big braided buns" that you all have with long hair and mine just don't motivate me much to keep it there. I will think some more though. And maybe some layers on just the sides.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 8th, 2015, 12:31 PM
My hair has lost wave with length too. If I had your beautiful hair, there's no way I would cut it. If you want bigger buns, then growing it longer will help with that because you will be able to bun it more loosely. More hair = bigger buns. Not less hair.

vpatt
December 8th, 2015, 12:40 PM
That is some really beautiful hair! I definitely would not cut.......I understand your disappointment, but remember many people want what they can't seem to have. If only we could learn to love what we have.....I am still trying, :)

FallingDarkness
December 8th, 2015, 01:01 PM
I'd recommend getting layers first, or cutting just an inch or two, or using different, volumizing/curl enhancing products. Change up your routine before you cut off your hair! I know that you personally might like having your really curly hair more, but your hair looks GREAT either way.

missblueeyes
December 8th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Your hair is gorgeous, though! I wouldn't cut it, except for layers, like many already suggested (will result in smaller buns tho), and experiment with products to bring out the curls more. :flower:

sarah.j.xx
December 8th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Woah, your hair is beautiful! Please don't cut it! Like what everyone else is saying, maybe you should try getting layers again. Layers could help bring back some of the curl. :)

lapushka
December 8th, 2015, 02:23 PM
so I don't need clarifying. Thanks for that and thanks for all the compliments and ideas and feedback. Here's the other thing. my ponytail circum has dropped down like .25-.5 inches, which has me stressed (and it's not just a day-to day thing, it's the new measurement) so I'm paranoid and my family insists it's probably just the extra length that doesn't allow it to "poof" like before which could change the measurement. So I'm tempted for that reason too, as my braids look smaller as well. I am just so amazed with your "big braided buns" that you all have with long hair and mine just don't motivate me much to keep it there. I will think some more though. And maybe some layers on just the sides.

Circumference doesn't go down with length.

x0h_bother
December 8th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I do like the original length or maybe in between. Go for it! Love your curl!

MsPharaohMoan
December 8th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Um if you ever need validation for your buns :eyebrows: post some pics in the bun pic thread! You have gorgeous hair. Perhaps consider cutting a negligible amount off each curl clump - micro-devacurl-trim :P

Ingrid
December 8th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Your hair looks amazing!! And so thick! Love the texture. I think it looks great either way. As for the circumference with curly hair it can probably get reduced if when you first measured you didn't compact the hair tightly and now it's less poofy because of its own weight.

mamaherrera
December 9th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I appreciate all of your remarks, and considerations. I've decided I"m gonna get face framing layers and just start with that. So you all think a blunt cut wouldn't be the best for my hair type?? I am trying to make a hair appointment right now. I will send my pics over to the buns thread so you can take a look. Just beware, that in my pics, my hair looks "thick" but it's all mostly poof. But thanks, and I do appreciate your point Ingrid. That perhaps my ponytail got a tad smaller, because the length causes it to be less poofy, so in general, the ponytail number went down a tad. I'm gonna hope positively that it is that. Thanks so much --now I do realize there are some positive people in this community!!

RebekahE
December 9th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I can't see the pictures. Why not?
I want to see the awesome hair everyone is begging you not to cut.

cat11
December 9th, 2015, 07:24 PM

Your hair is thick and curly so it will take you longer to get those buns. But you will get there....there's also technique involved in making them look bigger like making the bun looser, and certain styles look larger than others.

Also I think the ponytail thing is affected by length a bit. I have felt like my pony got smaller with length but I don't think it's really true, I think it's an illusion due to weight making the hair compress. Weight also affects the curl. There's stuff you can do to counter act that though... if you cant figure out what works for you here there is a site called Naturallycurly that has great advice.

I agree wiuth everyone else your hair is so beatiful and hasnt lost that much curl. If you arent even using curl products and techniques, I think that minimal change could be counteracted...

Also, all your hair goals, big buns and big long curly hair... you cant get there if you cut. If you arent there and you still want it, all you can do is push forward.

I appreciate all of your remarks, and considerations. I've decided I"m gonna get face framing layers and just start with that. So you all think a blunt cut wouldn't be the best for my hair type?? I am trying to make a hair appointment right now. I will send my pics over to the buns thread so you can take a look. Just beware, that in my pics, my hair looks "thick" but it's all mostly poof. But thanks, and I do appreciate your point Ingrid. That perhaps my ponytail got a tad smaller, because the length causes it to be less poofy, so in general, the ponytail number went down a tad. I'm gonna hope positively that it is that. Thanks so much --now I do realize there are some positive people in this community!!

I think this will look good!

I dont think its that a blunt cut isnt good for your hair type, but its not the best for encouraging curl. If you want it big and curly then a cut with long layers would help! It could be a good idea to search for threads about layered curly hair, long layered cuts, ect, or start one of your own asking people about theirs, I know we have members here who cut in layers to encourage curl :) Me, I dont want to encourage curl, so I am slowly trimming it into a blunt cut.

mamaherrera
December 10th, 2015, 12:20 AM
very smart analysis CAt11, very detailed and thoughtful. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, at least someone else HAS noticed the change in ponytail (although you just "feel" it's smaller, mine actually measures smaller) but the same thought. Gosh I already scheduled my cut, but maybe I'll just trim. . . but one question: why does thick/curly hair take longer than "other types" to get big buns, because of shrinkage?? You just caught my curiosity!!

lapushka
December 10th, 2015, 06:20 AM
very smart analysis CAt11, very detailed and thoughtful. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, at least someone else HAS noticed the change in ponytail (although you just "feel" it's smaller, mine actually measures smaller) but the same thought. Gosh I already scheduled my cut, but maybe I'll just trim. . . but one question: why does thick/curly hair take longer than "other types" to get big buns, because of shrinkage?? You just caught my curiosity!!

Yes, OTOH it is totally normal for hair to taper towards the ends. ;)

It seems as though you have made up your mind. Good luck. :)

StellaKatherine
December 10th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Firstly I think your hair is beautiful!

Secondly, I think our minds are little bit screwed up after been for a longer time on LHC. You see all the amazing huge buns and think that you will have a bun like that when your hair is longer. And then when it doesn't happen - you feel disappointed. Unfortunately this is the case. The less amount of hair you have then smaller your bun will stay compared to the thicker haired folks.

Still it doesn't mean that we can't have a beautiful buns even if they are not huge :)

cat11
December 10th, 2015, 06:55 AM

You're welcome!! Glad you decided to just try trimming :)

Its not really because of shrinkage, its because the initial "log" (for lack of better word) of your hair when you twist it to make a bun will be less compressed and bigger than someone with thinner hair or hair that compresses more than curly hair does. So it will take more length for it to be able to wrap around itself in the shapes that make buns. Especially wide bun styles where you wrap it around the outside a lot like cinnamon buns and infinity buns with all the loops. So a lot of buns will take you longer to do and maybe the ones you can do right now aren't the biggest but with more hair/length to wrap around the outside they will get that way. Maybe instead I should have said when you have thick curly hair, it takes you longer to make buns in general.

Also I like what StellaKatherine said even if they are not ~huge~ there are other things that make a bun beautiful and your bun is also probably not as small as you think. I would also encourage posting a pic in the bun thread! Also some of the ladies with head eating buns here have knee length and classic length hair wrapped loosely around itself, so of course its huge.... or some of them are flatter buns, with layers of hair wrapped around itself flat to the head so it splays out more... if it takes your hair longer to get huge, thats good, cause you can wear more hair toys in the long run and you dont have to worry about outgrowing things.... once you out grow 6 inch length the options narrow down. Hasnt happened to me but it has happened to others. You can have too much of a good thing.

lapushka
December 10th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Also I like what StellaKatherine said even if they are not ~huge~ there are other things that make a bun beautiful and your bun is also probably not as small as you think. I would also encourage posting a pic in the bun thread! Also some of the ladies with head eating buns here have knee length and classic length hair wrapped loosely around itself, so of course its huge.... or some of them are flatter buns, with layers of hair wrapped around itself flat to the head so it splays out more... if it takes your hair longer to get huge, thats good, cause you can wear more hair toys in the long run and you dont have to worry about outgrowing things.... once you out grow 6 inch length the options narrow down. Hasnt happened to me but it has happened to others. You can have too much of a good thing.

Yes, why the focus on "thick" and "huge", anyway, and why feel any less when your hair doesn't do that? That is something I wonder about. It looks like it's an issue too, thinking about all the other threads you once posted.

I am classic length right now, layered, and a 5 inch fork just fits me. And I'm a iii, so that is not much for being iii, you could say. My bun isn't "huge" either. Some hair spews out, other hair compacts on itself. You have no control over what your hair does on its own!

DreamSheep
December 10th, 2015, 12:00 PM
You're welcome!! Glad you decided to just try trimming :)

Its not really because of shrinkage, its because the initial "log" (for lack of better word) of your hair when you twist it to make a bun will be less compressed and bigger than someone with thinner hair or hair that compresses more than curly hair does. So it will take more length for it to be able to wrap around itself in the shapes that make buns. Especially wide bun styles where you wrap it around the outside a lot like cinnamon buns and infinity buns with all the loops. So a lot of buns will take you longer to do and maybe the ones you can do right now aren't the biggest but with more hair/length to wrap around the outside they will get that way. Maybe instead I should have said when you have thick curly hair, it takes you longer to make buns in general.

This!! :) Also, I know most people think I'm Ms Big Bun and most people say they like my buns, but, if I'm perfectly honest, I think the normal sized and "supposedly-puny-but-actually-awesome" buns look way nicer because you can actually a) see the shape of the bun in all of its elegance and b) admire the hairstick (which are easier to find!). ((this is really a point to defend the awesomeness of a bun that aren't considered 'big')).

I also thought the before picture was longer than the after, but it is hard to tell. I know that with time the hair curl pattern can change naturally (I used to have really straight hair, and now it is much wavier - nowhere near curly but definitely a difference in length when I stretch it) - and also that longer hair can stretch curls out, but so can maybe stretching washes or wearing it in updos (not in a permanent fashion, just after wearing it up that way so it may not preserve the curls so well). I don't know what routine you follow, but many recommend the 'curly girl' routine to coax out the curls and take good care of them so that may help. ^^

Of course in the end what you choose is 100% your decision - but if you ask me I think your hair is 100% awesome both before and today. <3

mamaherrera
December 10th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks DreamSheep

cat11
December 10th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I just checked out your pics on the bun thread- I don't think your bun is small? To me it looks average or slightly larger than average for your length. I really like the middle pic with the stick.