PDA

View Full Version : Protective/nondamaging hairstyles

lithostoic
December 8th, 2015, 01:36 AM
What are yours that you use? Do you do them during the day or just at night?

At night I put my hair in a very high pony, and the ends of my longest layer only reach my shoulders. I'm worried keeping it up in an elastic is causing breakage, but I have so many less tangles in the morning and my hair doesn't get in my face while I'm trying not to sweat my butt off as I sleep. Wow, that was long-winded!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 8th, 2015, 01:40 AM
I use hair forks or sticks to hold my hair during the day (no elastics) and for sleeping I wear my hair loose but confined inside a silk sleeping cap. Braids are protective too as long as the elastic is removed very carefully and not just pulled straight off.

bunneh.
December 8th, 2015, 02:30 AM
It's important to keep your hair in a protective hairstyle during the day when you're running around and buns with hairsticks or forks are the best option. At night i try to sleep with a braid most nights and during the day i prefer it loose but am gradually introducing buns and braids (my head hurts if i wear any hairstyle that pulls my hair even if it's just a little).

LillithTheFirst
December 8th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I make two dutch braids then form them into milk maid braids. I find it better distributes the weight of my hair on my head and keeps everything closer to the scalp. Great for workouts too. I haven't worn a pony tail in a long time, but just becasuse my hair is so thick and heavy that it just falls out, but it does cause breakage and damage if elastic is around the same area of hair all the time. I stick to braids and high buns with a large clip/fork. I always use the elastic at different lengths different days to make sure I'm not always "damaging" the same section of hair.

Zesty
December 8th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I wear my hair up daily, usually in a twist or a LWB, with all the usual suspects to hold it (Flexi, Ficcare, forks, sticks, etc.). If I wear a folded braid I use a small elastic and cut it out with nail clippers at the end of the day. I wear a side braid maybe once or twice a month. At night I don't style my hair, I just put it into a silk sleep bonnet because I'm convinced that anything else is damaging (at least on my hair and the way I sleep).

Anje
December 8th, 2015, 07:14 AM
I once had bad ponytail elastic damage (probably as much from "tightening" the pony as just from wearing it constantly), so I almost never do them. My daily go-tos are lazy wrap buns (usually secured by a stick or a fic) and braids. Sometimes braided buns.

I sleep with my hair loose in a sleep bonnet, as I find putting it up to be really uncomfortable and my scalp needs a break. Besides, I get zero tangles with it in the bonnet, and it keeps the kitten from attacking my hair.

lapushka
December 8th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Just make sure it's not a tight ponytail, as you otherwise might see breakage right at the elastic.

My hair is up in a LWB when I'm up and it's loose at bedtime and during the night.

dogzdinner
December 8th, 2015, 08:51 AM
High ponytails just give me a headache after a while. I go for sticky buns during the day and braids at night!

Deborah
December 8th, 2015, 09:55 AM
I think ponytails are pretty damaging because you need to use an elastic or something to hold them in place. I sleep in a braid that I flip up over the pillow at night. As long as the ends are held in place with a small, soft, not very tight scrunchie, no damage is done.

Agnes Hannah
December 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Hi welcome to LHC! I always wear my fine hair in an English braid unfastened at night inside a silk sleep cap. In the day it is put into a french pleat at present because I'm doing a 100 day wear a pleat challenge with Stonebridge. However, it is usually in some form of bun, pleat or braid, secured with a fork, ficcare or stick. Ponytails I very rarely do because I am afraid of the damage they can cause.

missrandie
December 8th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Perhaps instead of using an elastic, use a silky scrunchie instead.

I always left my hair loose at noght and bunned during the day when it was long, but I have been much more careful with it during this grow out. I wear my hair loose in my sleepcap, and sleep on a silk pillowcase. Sometimes one, or the other, or both.

During the day, my hair is still a little too short for most "up" styles, but I try to keep it all the way up with clips and my little ficcare.

meteor
December 8th, 2015, 12:15 PM
If you prefer ponytails for bedtime, try using a silky scarf, paranda, silky ribbon, silky scrunchie or a hairtie made of pantyhose maybe? Something soft and gentle. :) It won't hold hair tightly, but for nighttime tight hold is not necessary anyway.
I'd also recommend wrapping the ponytail in silky scarf or lining the area between pillow and headboard with silky smooth material and placing hair there.

Personally, I always sleep with my hair braided (without hair tie) and then coiled above my pillow or I just sleep with my daily braided bun but without any tools to secure it. I find that it keeps hair contained enough and tangle-free but doesn't pull anywhere because I use no hair ties/tools.
I use silky scarves to wrap my bun/length for the night, because silky materials are slippery and help prevent frizz/tangles/dryness in my case.

Elizabeth E
April 20th, 2018, 02:26 PM
I used to wear my hair in braided buns until I noticed that the elastic at the end of the braid causes breakage. So I switched to a regular cinnamon bun with the ends tucked safely underneath and kept in place with a few bobby pins. I cut the foot off one of my old pairs of black silk stockings and use that rounded, silk 'cap' as a hair net to put around my bun. It's very comfortable for daily wear and I keep it in at night too - even if I roll onto my back, the silk 'cap' over the bun prevents friction from the pillow case.
Another bonus is that it stays into place very well - I can literally go days without taking it down to brush my hair. Though I suppose that would not work well for someone with very tangle-prone hair.

lithostoic
April 20th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Yikes this is a really old one lol. These days I wear my hair however I want. The high pony drowns me in hair during the night.

ravenskey
April 20th, 2018, 03:20 PM
English plait - all day and every day except wash day - I am learning new plaits but buns do not work for me in the slightest - my hair is so thick I look like I have an animal nesting on my head and they inevitably fall down in a few hours ( at best but at worst I can't even get them to stay).