PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Scalp Right Before Period Begins

Ellethwyn
December 7th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Does anyone else have this happen? Do you know why it happens? I've noticed for a couple years now, that right before my menstrual cycle begins I get an itchy head and sometimes itchy bumps. Is it an oil build up maybe due to hormones?

http://orig03.deviantart.net/1704/f/2009/307/0/e/_cantremember__by_theuncle2k.gif

brickworld13
December 7th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I get acne everywhere including on my scalp. It's definitely connected to the hormonal swings of having a uterus. Yay. -__-

turtlelover
December 7th, 2015, 12:00 PM
That time of month, a lot of women produce more oil. More oil = SD flare/itching. Try a harsher shampoo used more often at that point in the month.

lapushka
December 7th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I've never noticed I produce more oil during that time; odd. I get dryer in my face, though. A little; but that's it. Suppose hormones manifest themselves differently depending on the person. :)

TR
December 7th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I get acne everywhere including on my scalp. It's definitely connected to the hormonal swings of having a uterus. Yay. -__-

Yep, same here.

Ingrid
December 7th, 2015, 03:02 PM
The hormone balance at and after ovulation changes. Excess estrogen produced during that phase raises glycogen levels, which is a sugar that certain bacteria and yeasts naturally present in the body feed on. That's why many women experience yeast-type symptoms at ovulation which continue until menstruation and then disappear as the hormonal balance changes. Acne is not typically tied to oil blocking pores unless you've directly applied a comedogenic oil to your skin. Most acne is caused by inflammation in the body, whether hormonal or dietary.

I used to get acne on my scalp and also sometimes on my chin. I find when I take probiotics my skin improves.

Ellethwyn
December 7th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Ohhhh :agree: thanks! I think I am getting acne on my scalp... I do get it on my chin right before my period. I've wondered if I should be using soap on my face during this time, normally i only wash with water.

Ingrid
December 7th, 2015, 03:46 PM
I can't use soap on my skin... unless it's really additive-free, which is often hard to find so I usually just wash with water unless I've really got dirt all over my face :lol: I don't think using soap will solve the acne popping up but it might dry each pimple out a little so they might shrink and go away faster?

brickworld13
December 7th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Actually, drying out the acne may make it worse. The stuff on my arms goes away with oatmeal lotion. The stuff on my face however goes away with a decent amount of time in the sun. Do try the soap if you feel you must but it could make it worse.

Ingrid
December 7th, 2015, 10:04 PM
That's true too, brickworld13. Dry skin is more vulnerable which makes it more open to infection, so it's hard to say whether it'll help to use soap... Damn acne!

CurlyCap
December 8th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Yep. I just brush my scalp then. It feels good, exfoliates, and then it's done.

I just chalk it up to one of the many changes during that part of the cycle.

meteor
December 8th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Yes, it's normal to have oilier skin during the week right before the period begins (http://www.dermnetnz.org/acne/sebum.html), and accumulation of oil on scalp can contribute to itchiness.
The luteal phase of the cycle (the one right before the menstrual phase) involves a dramatic increase in progesterone hormone, which stimulates sebum production (https://www.otsuka.co.jp/en/health_illness/skin/01_mechanism.html). As the menstrual phase kicks in, the progesterone hormone drops again, leading to reduction in sebum production.

It shouldn't make a massive difference though, but if the excess oil bothers you, you can use the more cleansing shampoos in your rotation and/or exfoliate scalp (if that's what you like to do). :)

luvlonghair75
December 8th, 2015, 04:46 PM
No itchiness here, just slightly oilier. Adding tea tree oil should help.

calmyogi
December 8th, 2015, 08:07 PM
My whole body gets itchy before my period. I alwasy chalked it up to hormones.

Deborah
December 8th, 2015, 08:38 PM
I never noticed that, but people are just different in how they respond to hormone changes. I'm sure it is normal for you, and that's all that matters.

Ellethwyn
December 8th, 2015, 09:29 PM
My whole body gets itchy before my period. I alwasy chalked it up to hormones.

I pretty much get itchy all over, too!

Ellethwyn
December 8th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I never noticed that, but people are just different in how they respond to hormone changes. I'm sure it is normal for you, and that's all that matters.

You're lucky! :D

Joyce_Alison
December 16th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Sometimes my scalp feels itchy below my temples (right in front of my ears), which triggers my trich (compulsive behaviour to pull out hair). I thought that perhaps I was imagining the itchy feeling.... but apparently that itchy feeling is not random or imagined after all????? Perhaps it could be due to PMS???

Does tea tree oil & scritching/massaging the area actually help? Would perhaps taking the pill (as to avoid hormone fluctuations & my period) help???

robert.brown987
January 9th, 2018, 04:30 AM
Does anyone else have this happen? Do you know why it happens? I've noticed for a couple years now, that right before my menstrual cycle begins I get an itchy head and sometimes itchy bumps. Is it an oil build up maybe due to hormones?

http://orig03.deviantart.net/1704/f/2009/307/0/e/_cantremember__by_theuncle2k.gif

Funny you bring this up.. My hair loss began December , My periods have been messed up since beginning of january. I was due to start 8 days ago and I know I'm not pregnant. I did take a few pills (https://justdoc.com/medicine/duphaston-tablet-10mg)for my irregular periods in between. But my head is itching like crazy today. It was yesterday as well. I never put the 2 together so I will pay more attention to this but when my scalp does this I use a spray bottle and mix 50 % apple cyder vinager and 50 % water and spray my scalp really well and gently massage it in for about 15 minutes and shampoo out / condition and rinse in cold water. Always seems to fix it right up. and now I think more about it, I usually do this about once a month. Hmmm now you have me wondering ....

Beeboo123
January 9th, 2018, 12:04 PM
The hormone balance at and after ovulation changes. Excess estrogen produced during that phase raises glycogen levels, which is a sugar that certain bacteria and yeasts naturally present in the body feed on. That's why many women experience yeast-type symptoms at ovulation which continue until menstruation and then disappear as the hormonal balance changes. Acne is not typically tied to oil blocking pores unless you've directly applied a comedogenic oil to your skin. Most acne is caused by inflammation in the body, whether hormonal or dietary.

I used to get acne on my scalp and also sometimes on my chin. I find when I take probiotics my skin improves.

That describes my symptoms from ovulation to my period to a t! My whole body itches. It magically resolves itself once my period arrives. Good to know I’m not alone!

Ellethwyn
January 10th, 2018, 11:27 PM
It turned out that i have autoimmune progesterone dermatitis...which means my body has an allergic reaction (itchy and sometimes painful rashes nearly anywhere, but usually on my legs, arms, tailbone, breasts, and my head gets crazy itchy) when my progesterone levels start to rise ( starting around ovulation). It's been horrible. Creams do not work, but allergy meds help a little. I've suffered for 13 years with this mysterious itchiness.There is nothing for it, but im glad to finally have an idea of what is going on...but still so many questions.

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 05:40 AM
It turned out that i have autoimmune progesterone dermatitis...which means my body has an allergic reaction (itchy and sometimes painful rashes nearly anywhere, but usually on my legs, arms, tailbone, breasts, and my head gets crazy itchy) when my progesterone levels start to rise ( starting around ovulation). It's been horrible. Creams do not work, but allergy meds help a little. I've suffered for 13 years with this mysterious itchiness.There is nothing for it, but im glad to finally have an idea of what is going on...but still so many questions.

That sounds tough to deal with, especially because you can't seem to do much about it. At least now you know you can take allergy medication for it to ease it somewhat. :flower:

spirals
January 11th, 2018, 07:45 PM
I think in my case the hormonal shift causes favorable conditions for the yeasties to grow. I get itchy scalp and an atopic dermatitis flare-up on my thighs. Every month yay. :shake:

andryssa
February 1st, 2018, 12:43 PM
It's quite weird but I have never thought that my itchy scalp and period could be connected together. But when I think of it now, yes it really is connected and it happens to me too.

Fethenwen
March 17th, 2024, 12:11 PM
Resurrecting this thread :)

This is something that I have noticed a couple of times, recently just today. Must be why I shed more during my period as well, a hormonal shift just before my period starts my scalp and skin gets pretty greasy.

lapushka
March 17th, 2024, 03:04 PM
I have just randomly "heard" on a ... yeah I know ... dog grooming channel that you have to rinse and rinse and rinse some more until all the suds are gone and then some after shampooing the dog / scalp because the tiniest remnant can cause an itch. I always "thought" I rinsed well, but ever since rinsing more after all the suds are gone (feels nice, what can I tell ya), my scalp has stopped itching. So maybe think of easier solutions to the issue rather than linking it. Mind you, I rinsed well already! I have to tell you that.

Messyhair
March 24th, 2024, 10:44 AM
I have just randomly "heard" on a ... yeah I know ... dog grooming channel

Are you watching Girl With the Dogs? :p I know there are a lot of grooming channels out there, but I love hers.

lapushka
March 24th, 2024, 11:43 AM
Messyhair, yes, Vanessa, she's a doll, and her nonno, she once mentioned him. He has his own channel and he is something else, that man can repurpose an old shoe! I love him too. She's amazing, that girl!