PDA

View Full Version : Hair Style for Workout?

LillithTheFirst
December 5th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Hi! I'm curious how you style your hair to workout/exercise?
I do bodybuilding and martial arts.
The longer my hair has gotten the harder it's been. I was quite alright with just having a big bun clipped onto the top of my head but its been getting rather heavy, I've noticed my scalp also getting sore even when I'm not working out.
I've started making two dutch braids then forming them into milkmaid braids and finding it a lot easier as it distributes the weight of the hair a lot better. I found pony tails and braids would just get everywhere and smack me and hit me in the face.
I still REALLY suck using bobby pins and need practise securing everything. My hair is tailbone length atm and I'm looking to grow to classic if I can. I'm sure the longer it gets the more work I have to do to "get it out the way and comfortable" when I'm attempting to exercise.
I'm also thinking about starting heavy combat (shields and swords! Like a knight!) next year at the SCA and wonder how it fit it under and helmet!

lunalocks
December 5th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Lately I have been putting my classic length hair into a modified french roll held in place with spin pins. it does not move through an hour or more of aerobic dance. This fits under my bike helmet, too. But, my hair is not thick.

Nique1202
December 6th, 2015, 05:29 AM
If I know I'm going to be doing lots of physical work, I put my hair into heidi/milkmaid braids and secure them with spin pins. It still distributes the weight around the head, instead of concentrating it in a bun that can get jostled and pull, but you only need 2-3 spin pins to secure them instead of dozens of bobby pins and they shouldn't be too painful if your hair's thick enough to hide the spin pins inside. They might wobble around a bit but they do stay in place (especially if you start with dutch braids and catch the dutch-braided sections with the pins) and it's less work to put up and less trouble to take down afterwards than trying to do hair taping.

KittyCatCarrie
December 6th, 2015, 05:39 AM
^^^ Came here to say what Nique1202 put perfectly. Spin pins are life and milkmaid braids distribute the weight so you don't feel the tug of a bun or ponytail.

LillithTheFirst
December 6th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks ladies! I have to look into these spin pins. My hair is quite thick so hopefully it'll work. :)

dogzdinner
December 7th, 2015, 03:27 AM
I'm also thinking about starting heavy combat (shields and swords! Like a knight!) next year at the SCA and wonder how it fit it under and helmet!

can I just say that that sounds awesome!:D Although the idea of helmet hair probably explains why Brienne of Tarth has short hair.LOL

EbonyCurls
December 7th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Braided bun. The braid keeps the hair contained and tight. I'll also slip a small hairband around the middle of the bun to keep it even further in place.

trolleypup
December 7th, 2015, 07:56 AM
My go to for hard physical labor/exercise is a ponyscrub.