PDA

View Full Version : "midlife crisis" leads to long hair

gregh
December 5th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I have wanted to grow long hair since I was in high school, but never really made an attempt. When I turned 40, as I am fortunate enough to still have all of my hair, I told my wife I was going to grow it out. I am glad she was ok with it or I probably would have caved; her only condition was that I grow a beard as well. And subsequently I have been growing for a little under 2 years. I am glad to say I left the awkward stage behind not all that long ago, and have become a cliched "ponytail guy" for better or worse. Hopefully it should be smooth sailing from here!
I have found some great haircare advice and inspiration on this site and thought I would register since I have seen some other guys on here and figured I was welcome regardless. So you can add a nearly 42 year old guy to your number.

gthlvrmx
December 5th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Welcome! Maybe you can look through some new buns and braids for yourself to add variety other than having just a ponytail. :) If your hair is short, you might only be able to do mainly braids and mainly peacock twists and french twists, or maybe a cinnamon bun.

MeAndTheMaz
December 5th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the fold, brother. Yes, us men folk are tolerated here just fine.

Like gthlvrmx says, you'll be able to find many more ways to do your hair than ponytailing.

Post some pics, so we can see what you're sporting (you will have to go through a picture hosting site and link to it until you have the requisite number of posts).

EdG
December 5th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I used to joke that on reaching the midlife crisis, anyone can buy a sports car or go sky diving. Those are much too mundane.

Only a few grow long hair. Welcome! :)
Ed

Amapola
December 5th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Welcome! So happy to see you here!

Where I live there are many Native americans who grow their hair long so it seems perfectly normal to me to see men with long hair. I do hope that everyone here will welcome *anyone* who has decided to join, no matter what their own personal hair goals are. So welcome again! :blossom:

lapushka
December 5th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Welcome! :)

gregh
December 5th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Welcome! Maybe you can look through some new buns and braids for yourself to add variety other than having just a ponytail. :) If your hair is short, you might only be able to do mainly braids and mainly peacock twists and french twists, or maybe a cinnamon bun.

Thanks! Haha, not sure if I am quite that adventurous, but maybe in time. For now the ponytail hits me just fine.

Welcome to the fold, brother. Yes, us men folk are tolerated here just fine.

Like gthlvrmx says, you'll be able to find many more ways to do your hair than ponytailing.

Post some pics, so we can see what you're sporting (you will have to go through a picture hosting site and link to it until you have the requisite number of posts).

Thanks! I will try and get a picture posted at some point in the not too distant future.

I used to joke that on reaching the midlife crisis, anyone can buy a sports car or go sky diving. Those are much too mundane.

Only a few grow long hair. Welcome! :)
Ed

Very true! Definitely requires more patience and determination.

Welcome! So happy to see you here!

Where I live there are many Native americans who grow their hair long so it seems perfectly normal to me to see men with long hair. I do hope that everyone here will welcome *anyone* who has decided to join, no matter what their own personal hair goals are. So welcome again! :blossom:

Thank you.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 5th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Hi and welcome! Enjoy growing your hair long. As you get older you tend to add "while you still can" :p

gregh
December 5th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Hi and welcome! Enjoy growing your hair long. As you get older you tend to add "while you still can" :p

Thanks. That is definitely a sentiment I can relate to.

Llama
December 5th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Welcome! What length do you plan on growing it to?

gregh
December 5th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Welcome! What length do you plan on growing it to?

Thanks. I've been thinking somewhere in the armpit to mid back range.

Circe Invidiosa
December 5th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Welcome Greg!

chen bao jun
December 5th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Congrats, I think men look great with long hair although the men in my life do not seem to be interested in doing this. Definitely not my husband.
I'm 58, I'm not a man but I decided to grow my hair when I was 55.
My son and I were watching a cape and sword movie in French, the men always have long hair in them as they are generally set in the 1700's, I was surprised how intrigued my son was with the men's hair (which was shoulder to armpit length). Even the guy with receding hairlines all had long hair and looked good, especially while swordfighting (my son said that, not me).

spidermom
December 5th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your hair-growing adventures.

Wildcat Diva
December 5th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Welcome! I'm glad you are here.

Islandgrrl
December 5th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Welcome! :)

spirals
December 6th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Welcome! I'm also 42. I guess I had my midlife around 30, though.

There's nothing wrong with being "ponytail guy" but I'm thinking doing a pony every day could be damaging, so I second the braid idea. And I think man-buns are great, though I'm sure not everyone agrees. They look nice with a stick in an understated color/material, like a dark wood. Wish my honey had a man-bun, but he doesn't have hair anymore! :D

longhairjenny
December 6th, 2015, 12:53 AM
My Dad grew his hair long around his 40's. I though he looked great! He had fun with it for a few years and eventually went back to his usual cut. But I've always thought it was neat that he gave himself the freedom to try something new. Good for you!

Sterlyn
December 6th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Welcome :). I'm also one that decided to grow my hair long later in life.

I think at some point the realization hit home that if there was something I wanted to do in my life I needed to get around to it. The first 50 years went by pretty fast, probably won't have another 50 to get to the things I still want to do........

MeAndTheMaz
December 6th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Welcome! I'm also 42. I guess I had my midlife around 30, though.

There's nothing wrong with being "ponytail guy" but I'm thinking doing a pony every day could be damaging, so I second the braid idea. And I think man-buns are great, though I'm sure not everyone agrees. They look nice with a stick in an understated color/material, like a dark wood. Wish my honey had a man-bun, but he doesn't have hair anymore! :D

Over in the man bun thread, there's rumor of clip-on man buns. Maybe he can glue one on? :cool:

spirals
December 6th, 2015, 11:14 AM
^ That's awesome! Men should have more hairpiece choices than toupees.

Wosie
December 6th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Hello there and welcome! Good to have you on board and I hope you will like it here. :D

browneyedsusan
December 6th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Welcome!
I started growing out at 45, but I'm a girl, so I don't stand out as much as a fellow. :)
Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

reilly0167
December 7th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Welcome:cheer:

gregh
December 14th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Sorry I don't reply quickly, but wanted to say thanks for the welcome. I'll give some thought to trying out styles other than a ponytail when I have more length and if I'm feeling adventurous (and depending on what my wife has to say), but for now the ponytail feels mighty adventurous to this first time longhair. Also wanted to add a quick picture. Thanks again.
http://s3.postimg.org/3nsy08ykz/322201.jpg

-Fern
December 14th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Sorry I don't reply quickly, but wanted to say thanks for the welcome. I'll give some thought to trying out styles other than a ponytail when I have more length and if I'm feeling adventurous (and depending on what my wife has to say), but for now the ponytail feels mighty adventurous to this first time longhair. Also wanted to add a quick picture. Thanks again.

Nice!! Your hair looks really thick and healthy! I think a lot of guys can rock wearing their hair down, but man-buns are pretty awesome, too (plus practical).

spirals
December 14th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Yes, gorgeous hair, Greg. Wow.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 14th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Greg, your hair is STUNNING!

gregh
December 15th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

I think a lot of guys can rock wearing their hair down, but man-buns are pretty awesome, too (plus practical). Perhaps it's just my age but I am not a big fan of the man bun on me, but I do wear it down from time to time. Wife does prefer the tied back look though (as do I most of the time).

MsPharaohMoan
December 15th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Oh my lord. For some reason I wasn't expecting much from the thread title but you have some seriously glorious hair! And your ponytail makes it look thick :eye: do you know your stats yet?

Bergelmir
December 15th, 2015, 04:49 PM
^ That's awesome! Men should have more hairpiece choices than toupees.
*cough*
Last time i was detecting a toupee was on a girl... :sad

gregh
December 15th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Oh my lord. For some reason I wasn't expecting much from the thread title but you have some seriously glorious hair! And your ponytail makes it look thick :eye: do you know your stats yet?

Thanks! No idea about that. I think it looks like a iii for thickness I think, from a rough guesstimate I think my ponytail is about 4.25 inches around, but that could be off a bit either way. The one for straightness I have no idea. Always thought I had "straight" hair but turned out it has some waves as it got longer.

Bergelmir
December 15th, 2015, 06:07 PM
I didn't measure any values of mine, so it's just guessing. Without measuring it i tend to be careful but most likely it could be iii. The waves are very inconsistent as they tend to expand on the ends, so the judgement about waves is incredibly hard, could even get some 3a on the ends but only partially. t

Surely i can say, especially at your age you got a awesome man-mane, certainly adorable and with big potential, simply need to add more length for more options indeed. We can be glad you made the right decision.

gregh
December 15th, 2015, 07:39 PM
I didn't measure any values of mine, so it's just guessing. Without measuring it i tend to be careful but most likely it could be iii. The waves are very inconsistent as they tend to expand on the ends, so the judgement about waves is incredibly hard, could even get some 3a on the ends but only partially. t

Surely i can say, especially at your age you got a awesome man-mane, certainly adorable and with big potential, simply need to add more length for more options indeed. We can be glad you made the right decision.

Thanks. Maybe sometime I'll try figure it out or post a better picture for that. And I definitely hope to add some more length.