PDA

View Full Version : Another should-I-cut-thread

kittenface
December 5th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Okay, so today I went to a new hair salon to get my roots dyed (I just moved), and while the hairdresser did a great job she of course mentioned that my hair was "really overdue" for a cut, and held up about six inches of my hair that she insisted "needed to go".
I told her I wasn't ready to cut my hair and she was pretty respectful about it and dropped the subject, but it did make me think - do my ends really look that bad? Should I cut off those six inches? Or at least a couple?

I know my ends are damaged - obviously I dye my hair, and I've been quite mean to it in the past. I do get split ends and I as much as I hate to say it I think those six inches she held up do look worse than the rest of my hair.
Of course I want my hair to be healthy and look good, but… as sad as it sounds, I would be very sad to see those six inches go, however damaged they may be. So I'm torn!
Of course I won't do anything impulsive just yet, I just wanted a second opinion from someone with more experience with long hair, so: in your not-necessarily-professional opinion, how bad is it? Should I consider a major-ish cut? Of course you can't decide for me, but I thought you might be able to share your experience and give me some guidance :) I've been on here for a few years now and I've learned a lot, but sometimes I still feel quite new to this!
PS: here's a blurry picture of my hair from today:
https://36.media.tumblr.com/2c874cf62115ddc4f4680e0d31c7b9de/tumblr_nyw5sv7mbR1rxcvrbo1_640.jpg

diddiedaisy
December 5th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I certainly don't think you need six inches off. You have got some taper but your hair is long, it's natural to get taper. If you feel your ends are damaged then just micro trim, which will also thicken up your ends, baby them and keep them moisturised.

cosmic crusader
December 5th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Hi!

First of all, your color and texture are so sweet!

I've been told the same thing by a stylist, and I definitely didn't want to hear it. Think about what your goals are...is your hemline a priority? I think most everyone could benefit from a microtrim, and if you do it yourself you can control how much goes. For me, I had several inches of damage at the ends. It took me two years to get the courage to cut more than a 1/2" at one time (I had done that twice in that length of time). Last weekend, I self trimmed more than 3" and my ends feel and look so much better! It might help you to pass a goal length first. I think it was easier for me to trim so much because I was at hip, and my trim left me at past waist still. So it's a somewhat psychological approach :]. You can S&D, microtrim to get rid of damage slowly, or do a couple more substantial (self possibly?) trims. Or if you don't care, don't do anything! Your hair looks lovely. I think you could benefit from getting rid of some of that damage though :] A friend once described hair with damage like string cheese, and the idea of the damage traveling up freaked me out! But like I said, it took two whole years to really do something about it (beyond S&D).

Good luck!

Mimha
December 5th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Hi kittenface ! :)

I have quite an easy way to deal with this kind of dilemma : I ask myself the question of what will make me more sad, lol. It is to loose my length ?... or is it to get mad anytime I see my "unsatisfactory hair" in a mirror ? If losing my length is more painful than dealing with unperfect hair for some time, I'd trim just a minimum and proceed with micro-trims until I can get rid of all the damages. And if I can't stand my unperfect hair, I'd cut all the necessary length until I feel "fresh". :wink:

You are the only judge of what is "necessary" to cut or not. It's your hair. You grow it because you like it. Hairdressers usually tend to cut as much as possible (and will try to convince you to do so). Don't let other people interfere with their own feelings, because you will have tons of different ones and you will end up not knowing what to to do. You "are not there to decorate their world" as we say around here ! ^^

lapushka
December 5th, 2015, 09:58 AM
You no way need 6 inches off, or any at all!

Amenahh
December 5th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Kittenface, I love your hair! The colour is gorgeous :)
I don't think you need to cut that much. If you are unhappy with your ends but want to keep your length, I would just trim a bit and maintain this way for a few months.

Beckstar
December 5th, 2015, 10:53 AM
1" or so to start with and then see how it looks. You can always take more off later but it takes months to put it back on. Pretty!!!

xbanannax
December 5th, 2015, 10:54 AM
What?! 6 inches is crazy talk. Maybe 2 inches at best IF you want to thicken the hem. I, however, think it looks just fine in the picture. I can't even say it looks damaged. If you are up for a trim, perhaps it is best to do a little at a time instead of jumping into the 6 inch commitment.

cat11
December 5th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I don't think you need to get a big cut. Do you want to stay at the same length or grow longer?

I think either way you should microtrim. It will fix your ends while you gain or retain length at the same time. If you want to stay at the same length the cuts would be bigger every month or other month or so and if you wanted to grow they'd be smaller... the idea is small, frequent trims that gradually let the hair thicken and get rid of bad ends. You should check out the "microtrimming and maintaining" thread.

turtlelover
December 5th, 2015, 12:24 PM
If it were mine, I'd take off maybe 2 inches to thicken the hemline. It doesn't need 6 inches off.

spidermom
December 5th, 2015, 12:36 PM
My first reaction was that I would cut 4 inches if it were me. How much are you fighting with your hair? When I get a lot of damage, all those bad ends get very grabby and simple combing becomes a hassle. My hair tangles and knots until I get a bunch cut off in frustration.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 5th, 2015, 12:41 PM
If you don't want to cut 6 inches off - don't. If you want to improve the condition of your ends, do a small trim. Your choice - NOT the hairdresser's.

Micro trimming does wonders for improving ends and you don't lose length that way :) Your hair is very pretty :)

Deborah
December 5th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Maybe do it in stages. Cut off two inches and see how that looks and feels. Then later cut off two more if you think it will look better, until you are happy with your hemline. It probably would look and feel better with six inches cut off, but you don't need to do it all in one day.

lapushka
December 5th, 2015, 01:21 PM
All of you guys saying she needs a bit off of the length, like 1 to 2 inches, even 4!? Why? I mean. The hemline looks just perfect, not even fairytaling going on.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 5th, 2015, 01:28 PM
All of you guys saying she needs a bit off of the length, like 1 to 2 inches, even 4!? Why? I mean. The hemline looks just perfect, not even fairytaling going on.

Hey - not me :p

cat11
December 5th, 2015, 01:45 PM

I think her hair looks great but I do think it could use a small trim. Just because you can tell the texture on the end is different and I think there is some fairytailing. I would trim in a similar situation but not chop. I think if your hair looks good you don't need to chop (like hers).... but if the ends are starting to taper and change texture then I think they need trimmed.

Lapushka I know you never (or veeery rarely) recommend trimming and cutting... I have noticed this trend :tongue: I think there are certain things that to many others signal it is trim time that you just do not mind/notice.

lapushka
December 5th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Lapushka I know you never (or veeery rarely) recommend trimming and cutting... I have noticed this trend :tongue: I think there are certain things that to many others signal it is trim time that you just do not mind/notice.

Yep, I do tend to do that, don't I? I like hair in its natural state - very much. Even when there is fairytaling. Comes down to personal preference, I guess. ;) :)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 5th, 2015, 02:12 PM
I did notice the different texture on the last few inches but I'm sure that could be dealt with using a little oil or serum of some sort, so no need IMO to cut inches off unless she wanted to.

As lapushka says, it is of course down to individual preference.

ashyash
December 5th, 2015, 02:32 PM
It's hard to say for sure if there's damage because it's a far away shot and there's no way to see the individual strands, but I think it looks really pretty! I love the color, cut, and length. If you did decide to get some cut off, I would say three inches max just because I can see a little bit of tapering/unevenness toward the ends (but that's also natural).

I think six inches is crazy talk! If you are concerned, you could always get several stylists opinions. (Even then, don't cut it if you disagree.)

Obsidian
December 5th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Being a shorty, I'm not against cutting as much as some of you longies are (is that even a word lol) I've noticed many members say not to trimming for no reason except to hold on to length, even if its damaged or dry length. I think some of you overlook the damage and only see length.

OP, maybe I'm a bit more likely to recommend cutting because I don't know whats its like to grow and maintain all that hair but if it was me, I would take around 4" off. The reasoning? I see dry damaged ends. You hair is lovely and I really like the color but the dry ends take away from the over all appearance. Its not that its fairy tailed either, thats a look I quite like.

cat11
December 5th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Yep, I do tend to do that, don't I? I like hair in its natural state - very much. Even when there is fairytaling. Comes down to personal preference, I guess. ;) :)

Yup. That's what I was trying to say. Its good though. You are the voice for that preference.

Entangled
December 5th, 2015, 05:20 PM

I was actually also going to suggest four-ish inches, because the taper visible looks like it might be splitty in person. It's not the taper itself, but but the way it stands straight in fairytales, which can come from damage which the OP mention do. Obviously we can't tell from one fuzzy picture, but the texture on the last bit of the hemline.

OP, did you feel dissatisfied with the conditions of the ends before the trim? It sounds like the hairdresser hit a sore spot, but you didn't anticipate that degree of confirmation. I think six inches is excessive, but three or four inches could be satisfying if you were previously concerned. If the hairdressers words came as a complete shock and you weren't anticipating a big trim at all, keep it! It's all what you like. You've got a lovely color, and it's about weighing length versus condition. Sold mainaining the length or less damage on the ends bring you more peace of mind?

Aleahcim
December 5th, 2015, 05:41 PM
OP, did you have your hair braided before taking this picture? I'm just asking because I find after my hair being braided I have kind of "dead" looking ends because of the sudden difference in texture. It is hard to really tell what is going on in the picture, but some people are picking up on the texture differences near the bottom.

for me personally, if you are finding your tend to be grabby, and tangle prone because of the damage, that is when I would be more aggressive with trimming(Maybe taking half an inch to an inch off, wait a week or two to see if there is any difference then reconsider if more needs to come off or not, repeat till satisfied.).

When my ends start to get damaged, I can feel the difference. If I notice they are feeling bad for a few weeks (so after perhaps 8-12 washes) and I have clarified that is when I feel more the urge to trim.

Personally, I find once the ends are getting damaged and unmanageable, its better to go for small trims and get rid of the problem rather then letting the damage spread.

Buttercup1223
December 5th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Maybe do it in stages. Cut off two inches and see how that looks and feels. Then later cut off two more if you think it will look better, until you are happy with your hemline. It probably would look and feel better with six inches cut off, but you don't need to do it all in one day.

This is what I would probably do or even start with an inch. And by the way, you're hair is just beautiful, and I love the color. :blossom:

Wildcat Diva
December 5th, 2015, 08:40 PM
I find that moisture makes a huge difference in how my hair looks. I could post one picture that would have you all saying my goodness TRIM those fuzzy ends, and then another picture from a few weeks later where ends are nice and moist (not trimmed at all) and my ends look lovely.
http://imageshack.com/i/nf3mglzj

See how moisture (and humidity changes in environment) makes a difference in the texture? No trim needed.
http://imageshack.com/i/nfghiu4j

It is so hard to really say from a picture what one should do.

I am reluctant to suggest anything. Your hair
Looks nice.

Silverbrumby
December 5th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Okay, so today I went to a new hair salon to get my roots dyed (I just moved), and while the hairdresser did a great job she of course mentioned that my hair was "really overdue" for a cut, and held up about six inches of my hair that she insisted "needed to go".
I told her I wasn't ready to cut my hair and she was pretty respectful about it and dropped the subject, but it did make me think - do my ends really look that bad? Should I cut off those six inches? Or at least a couple?

I know my ends are damaged - obviously I dye my hair, and I've been quite mean to it in the past. I do get split ends and I as much as I hate to say it I think those six inches she held up do look worse than the rest of my hair.
Of course I want my hair to be healthy and look good, but… as sad as it sounds, I would be very sad to see those six inches go, however damaged they may be. So I'm torn!
Of course I won't do anything impulsive just yet, I just wanted a second opinion from someone with more experience with long hair, so: in your not-necessarily-professional opinion, how bad is it? Should I consider a major-ish cut? Of course you can't decide for me, but I thought you might be able to share your experience and give me some guidance :) I've been on here for a few years now and I've learned a lot, but sometimes I still feel quite new to this!
PS: here's a blurry picture of my hair from today:
https://36.media.tumblr.com/2c874cf62115ddc4f4680e0d31c7b9de/tumblr_nyw5sv7mbR1rxcvrbo1_640.jpg

I think she might be right but not all at once. Cut and inch (you can do it yourself or get someone. I get hubby to cut mine straight across), wait 2 months. Then if you feel like it cut again. In the meantime your hair will be thickening up and the bad ends will be dealt with. You have lovely hair btw. I love the color and length.

Kherome
December 5th, 2015, 08:49 PM
If it were my hair, I would definitely cut back to hip. But that is no where near 6 inches. Maybe more like 4.

yvsa
December 6th, 2015, 03:55 AM
I think Wildcat Diva has a great point. My ends almost always look a bit dry and fuzzy. Even at my short length and even after I just had a trim. My hair is wavy and looks different every day:hmm:.
If your hair is really damaged maybe trim a little. But if it's "only" dry, then there is no need for a trim in my opinion.

Lianna
December 6th, 2015, 04:04 AM
I had a similar situation when I had medium blonde hair and decided to lighten about 3 inches of ends to light blonde. I didn't like the look and it was so much dryer. I cut about half the lightened part and that was enough for some months, then I cut the rest.

Dessi
December 6th, 2015, 04:05 AM
6 inches wow? No way, I'd say not more than 1 inch, only if you feel you need a trim.

restless
December 6th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Your hair was braided before the picture, wasnt it? I think people get the impression you need a trim based on those straight ends after the waves. Personally I wouldnt cut it based on looks because I think its lovely just the way it is :) However, if you can feel the damage (velcro-y, tangles easily) or see it in close-ups (splits, white dots), I would microtrim maybe half an inch at a time.

lapushka
December 6th, 2015, 04:37 AM
I find that moisture makes a huge difference in how my hair looks. I could post one picture that would have you all saying my goodness TRIM those fuzzy ends, and then another picture from a few weeks later where ends are nice and moist (not trimmed at all) and my ends look lovely.

Yep, I get that too. You just can't tell from a picture, can you? That's also one of the reasons why I stopped having pictures taken. I have my hair layered and sometimes it looks nice, other times, not so much. I hate having to deal with 1/a disability, 2/having a pic taken and 3/making sure the ends are perfect - just: NO!

vpatt
December 6th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Wow, I really think you have great hair! I certainly would not trim because of a stylist's comment. I tend to think of them as surgeons. A surgeon is trained to perform surgery and so they often recommend it. I think cutting is the biggest thing a stylist is trained to do. Unless you see them every week as my grandmother used to do then a trim every week would be too much. I think if they do a tiny trim they don't feel they have made an impact. They may feel they have failed. I wonder if they see long hair as an artist sees a blank canvas and they want to 'create' a masterpiece. Maybe they forget it really is not their choice how our hair looks because some people probably give them full rein to do as they like. Since I have joined here and read and thought about it I will only do self trims or let my daughter trim my hair. I'm not saying all stylists are like this, but I guess the very act of stepping into a salon may say to them that we trust them and want a makeover. Of course, all this is just my own thoughts.

If I were you I would do micro trims if I trimmed at all.

kittenface
December 6th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Hey, thanks everyone! I won't reply to everyone individually, but I really appreciate everyone's opinions and knowledge. It's really difficult to judge someone's hair, especially through poorly lit pictures, but I think a lot of what's been said is good advice generally regardless of how good/bad the hair looks in person. In my heart of hearts I know that those six inches need to go eventually, but what I'll probably do is finally take the plunge and learn how to self-trim - that way I can start taking off a little bit and work my way up. I normally get a little bit trimmed off at a salon every six months or so, but I always find it really scary and they always put in more layers than i really like, so might as well learn to do it myself :) Any tips for someone just starting out cutting their own hair? : O

lapushka
December 6th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Any tips for someone just starting out cutting their own hair? : O

Yes take it slow, look at Feye's self-trimming guide carefully (print it out) before you do anything and cut small amounts off at a time. And don't think you did a bad job, and need to "even it up". If you follow the directions to a T it can't be other than a straight, V, or U cut.

pamrlyn
December 6th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Hi Kittenface!

Your hair is so beautiful.. I love the color, length & sweet waves!. No way that you need 6 inches cut off. Everything I am about to say is probably a repeat of what other wise LCers have already said & I have learned from them.

At most I see 3 inches of fuzziness at the end. If it were me, I would baby those ends with oil or other leave-in that your hair loves. There is a treatment called Olaplex (don't know if I spelled that right) that sounds like a true miracle worker. If I could afford it - I'd give that a try. and micro trims using Feye's method. Since you like straight across the back, use a scrunchie to gather your hair in a low pony. It needs to be kind of tight, so it doesn't fall off as you slide it down. Carefully slide it down close to the end, then trim the amount you want. I would do no more than 1/2 inch. since my hair grows about 1/2 inch / month, it doesn't really affect length. you can do one trim per month until you are happy with your hem line.

Is your hair red? you might consider switching to henna to minimize damage to your hair. it doesn't lighten your color though, if that's what you need. there are threads here that help with coloring your hair with the least amount of damage possible. and keep babying those ends.

Best of luck to you

pam

spidermom
December 6th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I will suggest what for me is much easier than Feye's method. Part your hair down the middle. Comb it forward and combine the 2 sides into a ponytail under your chin. You want it to come smoothly forward, like this: \\\O/// (the O is your head). The hair will be coming across the front of each ear. Comb the ponytail straight down and close a book over it. Keep the book level and slide it toward the ends. Then cut straight across the bottom. Try a very modest trim first - maybe 1/2 inch.

This trim results in a slight U shape for me.

Carolyn
December 6th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I think your plan is a good one. Lots of moisture and small trims. Can you get a pic of your hair without braid waves? I think that might show the condition of your ends better. I've found that when you think you need a trim, half as much as you think you need is more than enough.