PDA

View Full Version : how to stop constant hair shedding?

grecianmermaid
December 3rd, 2015, 12:01 PM
As the title says, i'm experiencing ALOT of hair shedding constantly! I can't even run my fingers through my hair without losing at least 5-10 hairs!

does anyone have any advice, or any reason why this might be happening??

thank you in advance!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 3rd, 2015, 12:40 PM
It's normal to shed anywhere from 50 to 150 hairs every day. Are you shedding more than that?

Silverbrumby
December 3rd, 2015, 02:17 PM
Ponytail circumference, health, is hair thinner?

meteor
December 3rd, 2015, 02:44 PM
5-10 hairs is a very low number, but I don't know how many times a day you run hands through hair and get this amount.

100 hairs a day is often cited as pretty normal, but some people shed more or less than that habitually. Knowing your ponytail circumference and typical daily shed as the baseline to compare to is probably going to help, to know if there is a problem or if it's normal.

If you think you are shedding more than normal, getting regular bloodwork done is probably the best thing to do. :flower: Excessive shedding can be a symptom of many health issues, as well as a side effect of many types of medication.

Also, make sure the things you use on your scalp (e.g. shampoos, conditioners, oils, scalp tonics/rinses, dry shampoos...) don't increase the number of shed hairs. Sometimes people report excessive shedding from CO-washing, oiling the scalp, rinses with stimulating but irritating ingredients... So if you've noticed excessive shedding from any recent hair experiments, it's definitely best to stop and see if the shedding will go down.

TrapperCreekD
December 3rd, 2015, 02:49 PM
How long is your hair? Long lengths can make hair balls look scary huge. I'm also ii/iii and shed quite a bit, I always have. It could be a seasonal shed, but if it's been going on for months it sounds like some underlying problem. Have you been super stressed about something for a prolonged time? Excess shedding can also mean health issues, probably a good idea to have your blood checked to make sure.