PDA

View Full Version : For how long your hair can be braided without combing?

rockkcor
October 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM
This is in response to ‘No combing challenge’. I find that combing breaks my hair way to often and I think that combing should be kept to a minimal if one is going to the extreme length.
For how long can your hair be braided without combing? I wonder if hair can be shampooed without unbridling in order to avoid combing?
Do you think that in long time it would improve the thickness and speed up the growth?

mira-chan
October 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
It can be kept from wash to wash, especially if you cover with a silk scarf or similar at night. There is a possibility of damage from keeping a braid too long without re-braiding. How long is too long depends on the hair. The same hair are exposed to the outside for a long time, thus damaged more.

Another draw back is that once you unbraid you'll have a tough time removing the shed hairs. That could give bigger more damaging tangles. You technically can wash with a braid, but again tangling will increase.

Another note, you can re-braid without combing or with minimal finger combing. I do this all the time.

I've combed 1-2 times a week for a couple of months, and I combed 2 times a day while. I've had no difference in growth.

kowlrea
October 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
i have kept my hair braided in small plaits for 4 weeks before ...and i washed it about twice every week

florenonite
October 11th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I think the longest I've kept plaits in for was a week when I was canoe-tripping a few summers ago.

Xanthippe
October 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think the higher the number of braids, the longer you can keep it in without tangling issues.

Two French braids I have kept in for maybe two days? After that they started getting very frizzy. I've never tried more braids than that, but I've seen others have success for weeks at a time with mini braids.

Gumball
October 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I usually keep braids in no more than a day, but that's usually because they rub against my back and get all fluffy. That I take care of in the evening when I braid it again before bed. Now if I wear braids and bun them up somehow then tangling is really kept to a minimum (no rubbing against anything) and I can keep them in for longer if I wished. That was really apparent to me when first trying out the braided chinese bun. The braids didn't look fluffy at all when I'd take the bun down. I do think it depends on hair type, how it's worn and hair personality that really makes a difference on how braids work out over a certain period of time.

Buddaphlyy
October 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
i have kept my hair braided in small plaits for 4 weeks before ...and i washed it about twice every week

I think the higher the number of braids, the longer you can keep it in without tangling issues.

Two French braids I have kept in for maybe two days? After that they started getting very frizzy. I've never tried more braids than that, but I've seen others have success for weeks at a time with mini braids.

I agree with these two posts. My hair has been braided for about 12 days now and I plan on keeping them for another 10-12. I have about 25-30 mini braids all over and I wash at least once a week with shampoo with occasional co washes in between. My hair is has a nice sheen and seems to be tangle free.

ItalianFlower
October 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I leave one braid in for a day and when I get multiple braids put in, I leave it for a week or two. Depends on your hair. Experiment. It's fun. :)

Elenna
October 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
My braids won't last more than a day. Probably because my hair is fine and slippery.

Forever_Sophie
October 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Like Elenna, 1 day for me. Very silky locks.

Honigwein
October 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Good afternoon! About my hair I only comb it after I wash it (twice a week)and that´s because it´s curled and thick(you have no idea because I have do dominate it like you do to wild horses, and even then with no conditioner). I take care not to break it, I use a comb with very large teeth made of wood. There´s no way to comb volumous and thick curled hair if not only after washing it. This way my hair acquires a more defined aspect and breaks few. When I oil my hair it´s the only time I brush it with a comb made of natural material. And then it slips easily to the ends. I braid my hair twice a day because it´s a simple kind of braid and I do physical exercises that forces me to rearrange my hair. But I do not comb it. I just slip my fingers over it to divide a new braid. I hope I helped you.:D

Honigwein
October 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ah another tip: try to "mash"(oh how to say it in English?)your hair ends after combing it(after washing). Mine gets nicer ends this way. ;)

FrannyG
October 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Ah another tip: try to "mash"(oh how to say it in English?)your hair ends after combing it(after washing). Mine gets nicer ends this way. ;)

Could you mean "scrunch", Honigwein? Words like that are difficult to translate, but I think that might be what you mean. :)

Honigwein
October 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks for your help, FrannyG!

Friesiangirl
October 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
If I have nowhere to go, and nothing to do, and i'm house bound- a week. However, they will get untidy after a while to it's best to re-do them, for me anyhow, every day.

Hayley

blue_nant
October 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
If I have nowhere to go, and nothing to do, and i'm house bound- a week. However, they will get untidy after a while to it's best to re-do them, for me anyhow, every day.

Ditto:

If I want the hair to look presentable, a day.

If I'm not going anywhere besides my yard, I'll go three days before my scalp really really really wants a combing. Usually I'll put the brain in an infinity to prevent further fuzzing of the hair. (I can go longer in winter.)

Regarding combing I think my scalp is in charge! Part of the yay bit of combing is the scalp rejoicing.