PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's time to try something new again, I suppose.

Parisian Dozen
December 1st, 2015, 05:02 PM
Well, the semester is ending and at this point I fell like if I'm going to be stressing over something it might as well be my hair... And Christmas eve is approaching swiftly so I need something to every so subtly brainwash my friends and family with for my birthday. So if it's products you recommend, know what cause you're contributing to. It's noble.

So, my last few attempts at trying something new have failed rather... well, not spectacularly, just very, very underwhelming. You see, I've grown tired of using devacurl for damn near 3 years now. I've also been trying CO washing for about 1 and a half with marginal, if not worse results. I've tried switching conditioners up to no result - or at least not a measurable result.

So... yeah, I don't know what else to try. Occasionally I've have one of those days where my hair just looks and feels bloody fantastic. And then most days I just look horrible. :/ Such is life.

Recommend me products, or routines. I've got nothing better to do... Except study for finals and play Fallout... or something... I just like to pretend what I'm doing is productive.

pailin
December 1st, 2015, 06:44 PM
Well, what is your hair not doing that you want it to do? Give us a direction. What's wrong on the days that it's not fantastic?
Hair can definitely make a nice distraction from other stresses! But I hope the end of semester stresses get unstressful soon.

Parisian Dozen
December 1st, 2015, 07:09 PM
Well, what is your hair not doing that you want it to do? Give us a direction. What's wrong on the days that it's not fantastic?
Hair can definitely make a nice distraction from other stresses! But I hope the end of semester stresses get unstressful soon.

Basically my wave pattern keeps getting messed up so I'm perpetually a fluffball... more or less... I think that's what up. I dunno. My hair is weird.

Obsidian
December 1st, 2015, 08:31 PM
Do you clarify regularly? I switched to a sulfate free shampoo a few months back and it seems I have to clarify twice a month or so to keep my curls happy. I use loreal evercurl and really like it, so far its the best sulfate free poo I've tried.
I also stopped using conditioner, a dab of argan oil works better then any conditioner to soften my hair and define curls.

Parisian Dozen
December 1st, 2015, 09:01 PM
Do you clarify regularly? I switched to a sulfate free shampoo a few months back and it seems I have to clarify twice a month or so to keep my curls happy. I use loreal evercurl and really like it, so far its the best sulfate free poo I've tried.
I also stopped using conditioner, a dab of argan oil works better then any conditioner to soften my hair and define curls.
Hmmmmm, come to think of it I haven't clarified since August 28th of this year... Might be a little overdue... :/

You know... I think that's something that never came to mind, though. I've never actually thought about dropping conditioner and switching to argan oil. I also have tried anything Loreal yet.

brickworld13
December 1st, 2015, 09:43 PM
If you went swimming at all this summer you might want to look into chelating. My hair was all kinds of misbehaving from chlorine all summer even with regular use of swimmers shampoo.

On oils, try several. Just because argan works for Obsidian doesn't mean it will work for you. You may like something else better. Or you may prefer a coney serum. The serums tend to be really heavy and weigh down curls. It only takes one tiny drop of coney serum for all of my hair and I don't even have curls to worry about losing their shape. I just try to avoid the oil slick look.

Uhhhh, what else? Some people love aloe vera. Others hate it. Some love SMT and protein treatments. Others hate them or prefer other moisturizing methods. A rough pillowcase will cause fuzzy hair. Unless I wear a sleeping cap in the winter, my flannel sheets turn me into a fluffy ball of silly hair. I'm woefully useless at troubleshooting curls and waves.

pailin
December 1st, 2015, 11:27 PM
Between days that your hair is fantastic and not fantastic, is there any difference in how much you brush/ comb? Or in the humidity?

Parisian Dozen
December 2nd, 2015, 12:08 AM
Between days that your hair is fantastic and not fantastic, is there any difference in how much you brush/ comb? Or in the humidity?
Honestly, if I could nail down exactly what I did when I have those fantastic days I would. It feels completely arbitrary to me, unfortunately. It's quite bewildering and I'm frustratingly lost.

pailin
December 2nd, 2015, 02:23 AM
Ok, I can see that. I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe one of the curlies could chime in. For me, I almost always need more moisture. But I think clarifying /chelating souns like the best place to start.

picklepie
December 2nd, 2015, 02:41 AM
Do you brush dry? Posting a photo or two would help.

Parisian Dozen
December 2nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
Do you brush dry? Posting a photo or two would help.

Pre-shower selfie: http://imgur.com/bPwYMo3

Post-shower selfie: http://imgur.com/RahizHa

Only time will tell. In this instance, and on most instances, I finger detangle dry and wide tooth very gently wet.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2015, 10:26 AM
If you're tired of the no-sulfate or CO routine, you could go back to regular sulfates (if hair/scalp handle it well). I use the method WCC (link is in my signature) which means I double condition (to combat the drying effect of the shampoo).

Parisian Dozen
December 2nd, 2015, 10:40 AM
If you're tired of the no-sulfate or CO routine, you could go back to regular sulfates (if hair/scalp handle it well). I use the method WCC (link is in my signature) which means I double condition (to combat the drying effect of the shampoo).

I haven't touched sulfates in almost 3 years so I'm sort of reluctant to try, but I suppose it won't irreparably mess up my hair. Worst case scenario it actually helps.

Robot Ninja
December 2nd, 2015, 11:25 AM
What are you using to dry your hair? A terrycloth towel can cause frizziness.

What are you sleeping on? Cotton pillowcases, again, can rough up your hair and suck the moisture out. A satin pillowcase (ideally silk satin, but those are expensive and a lot of people are just fine with much cheaper polyester satin pillowcases; other people find they get too sweaty sleeping on polyester. A smooth silk scarf or shirt from a thrift store wrapped around your pillow or your head would also work.)

If you haven't tried any oils, you might want to try olive oil, coconut oil, or mineral oil before you start experimenting with the fancy expensive ones. They work for a lot of people and if they don't work for your hair you can always use them for eating. Except for mineral oil, don't eat that.

Do you have hard water? That might be causing poufiness. A chelating shampoo will help with that.

reilly0167
December 7th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Hi..as a curly girl (3c)...I understand the struggles of having good hair days and bad hair days....the only advice I can offer is what I do to my hair..I clarify my hair at least once a week..perhaps you should try there.

Anje
December 7th, 2015, 03:27 PM
I haven't touched sulfates in almost 3 years so I'm sort of reluctant to try, but I suppose it won't irreparably mess up my hair. Worst case scenario it actually helps.

Sulfates won't kill your hair by any means. As long as you're not allergic to them, I see no reason for people to not use them on occasion to get the hair really clean. It might make your hair a bit dryer, but it also might wash off something that's coating your hair and making it difficult. Just call it a good clarifying. :)

Do you leave any conditioner in your hair? Given how tight your wave/curl pattern is, I'm thinking that putting a dab in and only half-rinsing it out might give you a bit nicer clumping with minimal effort. Some more curly-haired folks leave in a bunch of straight conditioner, if you want to turn it up to 11.

sweetaj
December 7th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Some things I would try as a wavy (most previously mentioned): clarifying, adding honey to my condish, not fully rinsing out condish, spraying oil on hair while soaking wet, using flour sack towels to dry... You have awesome hair!! I would love for my curl pattern to be that strong!

allycat
December 7th, 2015, 05:36 PM
I just wanted to say that I really like your hair!

Parisian Dozen
December 8th, 2015, 08:33 PM
I just wanted to say that I really like your hair!

Oh my, apparently someone preformed ritual sacrifice and brought this thread back from the dead without me knowing. Well, anyways, tank you very much. I've never heard that in person but I'll still take it over the internet.

Sulfates won't kill your hair by any means. As long as you're not allergic to them, I see no reason for people to not use them on occasion to get the hair really clean. It might make your hair a bit dryer, but it also might wash off something that's coating your hair and making it difficult. Just call it a good clarifying. :)

Do you leave any conditioner in your hair? Given how tight your wave/curl pattern is, I'm thinking that putting a dab in and only half-rinsing it out might give you a bit nicer clumping with minimal effort. Some more curly-haired folks leave in a bunch of straight conditioner, if you want to turn it up to 11.

I do leave in normal conditioner, however I'm beginning to believe I don't leave in enough... Or something...

Just promise me next time ya'll bring the dead back to life you give me a hollar.

Anje
December 8th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Just promise me next time ya'll bring the dead back to life you give me a hollar.
Fair warning: I've got some zombie-goblins planned for Saturday's D&D session. :twisted:

Parisian Dozen
December 8th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Fair warning: I've got some zombie-goblins planned for Saturday's D&D session. :twisted:

Same here... sorta... I've got a Dicks and Dictator session coming up once we're all done with finals. I'm currently in the process of building a top secret experimental internment camp with the express goal of discovering quasi-immortality. I don't know how or why my DM allowed it but I'm just rolling with it at this point.

picklepie
December 9th, 2015, 04:23 AM
Your hair looks very curly indeed! Have you tried the full-on curly girl, with plopping and whatnot?

Parisian Dozen
December 9th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Your hair looks very curly indeed! Have you tried the full-on curly girl, with plopping and whatnot?

Not to much success, unfortunately. :/ I'll give it a shot again soon.