PDA

View Full Version : Baking soda clarifying shampoo

grecianmermaid
December 1st, 2015, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone!

I am hoping to try to make my first ever baking soda shampoo. I was originally looking to find a clarifying shampoo at my local supermarket, however they all had sulphates etc. in them and the more natural/high end ones I would have to purchase online.

I stumbled across a website saying 'DIY: Baking soda clarifying shampoo' and I really want to try it.

However I am unsure about how often i use it? I only wash my hair once a week. so can i use it every time i wash my hair? or if i use it too often will my hair dry out??

My hair is dry already, especially the ends, I don't really have an oily problem at all (hence only needing to wash my hair once a week) however the night before I wash my hair I put coconut oil and leave it over night.

thank you in advance! :D

sarahthegemini
December 1st, 2015, 02:27 PM
A clarifying shampoo will always have sulfates because its job is too, well, clarify. Why would you want a clarifying shampoo without strong ingredients?

I wouldn't opt for the baking soda. It could very well end up being far more damaging than simple shampoo and of course isn't formulated for use on hair.

Why do you want to specifically clarify every wash?

lapushka
December 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM
Baking Soda is not recommended for hair, it is very alkaline and not good for hair. You'd be better off with a clarifying or regular sulfate shampoo as that will be less drying and damaging than BS will be!

Welcome, BTW! :)

Ingrid
December 1st, 2015, 02:32 PM
Baking soda is very drying in my experience. If you have dry hair already it can be quite damaging.

gthlvrmx
December 1st, 2015, 02:43 PM
Baking soda and clarifying shampoos are too harsh to be used too often. They can be really drying, which is why they are used only as needed. Is there a reason why you're avoiding the sulphates? Allergy? Also, clarifying shampoo's aren't made to be used as regular every day shampoos. They are just to clarify. If your hair is already dry, I don't recommend using a baking soda or clarifying shampoo too often if it's not needed, like if there is no build up problem going on. Have you tried mineral oil? You can clarify your hair and then add mineral oil to your wet hair to retain moisture in your hair after your clarified it. I did that and it worked fine for me. Also, a clarifying shampoo I use that is not too harsh is Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo. Maybe you could look into that if you don't want to try the baking soda later.

Anje
December 1st, 2015, 02:54 PM
Unless you're allergic to sulfates, you're probably better off with the sulfate shampoo. You WANT harsh cleansers for clarifying, after all. Baking soda tends to make hair really rough and dried out, and I'm skeptical that it really cleanses very well.

katiekittycat
December 1st, 2015, 03:19 PM
I like to mix a bit of baking soda in with regular shampoo, and it does dry out my hair a bit but my scalp is really oily and build-up prone. I do that about once a month. I guess I've been avoiding sulfates under the assumption that they will destroy my hair... is this untrue?

lapushka
December 1st, 2015, 03:22 PM
I like to mix a bit of baking soda in with regular shampoo, and it does dry out my hair a bit but my scalp is really oily and build-up prone. I do that about once a month. I guess I've been avoiding sulfates under the assumption that they will destroy my hair... is this untrue?

Yes sulfates aren't the devil! If your scalp and hair can handle them fine, then you're good to go. But it is an absolute myth that it is "damaging".

Nique1202
December 1st, 2015, 03:44 PM

Baking soda is abrasive. It will destroy your hair, literally, if you use it regularly. Sulfates have been used for decades on hair, to no ill effect as long as you either condition the length (the parts that don't get oily) and/or use a bristle brush to distribute your sebum between washes.

RavenRose
December 1st, 2015, 04:59 PM
I tried baking soda for 9 months, hoping my grease slick would adjust, but it just destroyed my fine hair... *shudders* I would not recommend it.

People are told to avoid sulfates because it is a known irritant for many, and can be a bit harsh for those with dry hair since it will strip more oils away. If you use products that have heavy 'cones or build up easily- sulfates are good at removing all the gunk.

I myself have greasy hair, but am very sensitive to sulfates of any kind (hand wash, dish soap, laundry soap etc...) they all make me break out with minor rashes and itchy skin. I found a clarifying shampoo from sally's that is sulfate free- It is an ION brand for colored hair- http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-clarifying-shampoo/SBS-302315,default,pd.html

turtlelover
December 1st, 2015, 06:06 PM
I used baking soda on my hair ONCE, and only once! HUGE, HUGE mistake! That dried my hair out worse than anything I have ever done to it. It took awhile to recover. Not fun. I have no idea how anyone uses it without totally destroying their hair quickly.

grecianmermaid
December 2nd, 2015, 01:58 AM
thank you all for your advice :) i definitely will not be trying the baking soda! I might not even try any clarifying shampoo, as I don't want to dry my hair out even more. Thanks again!

lapushka
December 2nd, 2015, 06:50 AM
thank you all for your advice :) i definitely will not be trying the baking soda! I might not even try any clarifying shampoo, as I don't want to dry my hair out even more. Thanks again!

If you use conditioners with silicones in them, you will need to clarify once in a while. The buildup they cause can make your hair dry, tangly, brittle (after quite a while). A good clarifying shampoo is an essential!

spidermom
December 2nd, 2015, 06:56 AM
Believe it or not, sometimes it's the buildup on your hair that is dried out and making hair feel terrible. Clarifying occasionally can provide a huge benefit.]

If you feel shampoo is too harsh, mix it in some water. I have a squirt bottle in my bath area that I use for just that purpose. I use maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, add about the same amount of shampoo I would use without the water, shake well, and apply directly to my scalp in various locations, then massage over my scalp and rinse as usual.