PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a hair care newbie

Cavy
November 30th, 2015, 05:46 PM
So, I've been trying to, for lack of better words, troubleshoot a couple problems I have with my hair for some time now. I've been perusing this forum and you guys all seem to have such lovely hair and are making great progress in growing it out. I keep reading conflicting advice and words I barely understand (how do you put a mask on your hair?!) so I decided to just ask you guys what you think I should be doing. I hope this is the right forum, and I'm sorry if it's not!

So, my first problem is that my hair is very, very greasy. Like, seborrheic dermatitis greasy. If I go more than 24 hours in between washes the grease drips down my face and gets my face even greasier than it already is, it looks gross, and it BURNS! Sometimes there are scabs (Hi! Nice to meet you all! Aren't I lovely?). It's easily controlled with daily washing and occasional use of dandruff shampoo, but I was wondering if there may be any tricks I haven't tried to reduce the problem? I tried shampooing less like every website seems to swear you need to do, but I've never been able to wait out any "adjustment" period due to the burning and general fact that it isn't socially acceptable to walk around looking like you haven't bathed in a month. I don't eat much in the way of oily foods, but is that a problem? Is my body producing oil to make up for the fact that I don't eat much? I really dislike oily stuff and get most of my fat from things that don't have an oily texture like whole yogurt and avocado. I've been toying with the idea of dying part of my hair an odd color, which kinda sparked me into trying to solve this. It seems like when you use something like Manic Panic it lasts longer if you don't wash your hair daily. I'm not sure it would be worth the time and money to spend every weekend re-applying the stuff.

OK, now my second (and more annoying) problem is the fact that my natural hair color fades. I have dark brown hair, but since childhood the tips just gradually fade to a kind of blond. It looks kinda like Fiona from Burn Notice (not that the actress isn't lovely, but I just really hate the way it looks on me!). A few years ago I decided that A. I wanted to finally have long hair and B. the sun is evil and is surely causing all of my hair problems. I bought a hat, tucked all my hair under it if I so much as walked from my car to the store, and figured I was good. Turns out, even with almost zero exposure to the sun my hair still fades, although mercifully not as fast. Also, I worked hard to get my hair this long and I wanna show it off, not hide it under a hat all the time! I don't even look GOOD in hats! I looked into some hair UV protection, but I can't find much and what I can find is mind-blowingly expensive.

So, um, I guess I'll tell you what I normally do to my hair in case that helps . . . I wash and shampoo it daily. I use (don't laugh!) V05 and yes, I have tried more expensive brands but it's had no effect on my problems. That's kinda where my hair care ends. I don't really style it with products; I just braid it or put it in a ponytail. I only use a blow-dryer on my bangs if they get greasy enough that I need to wash them over the sink. I don't use curling irons or blow-dry any other part of my hair. I think I saw someone on here say they don't comb their hair when it's wet? Is that bad? I do comb it after I shower, then I give it a quick brush if I need to style it later, but mostly I leave it alone. I'm actually really confused about when/how I should be brushing my hair! I keep reading conflicting data. Um, I tried putting coconut oil in my hair once. It didn't seem to do anything for me, but maybe I need to do it regularly before I see results? I appreciate any advice.

gthlvrmx
November 30th, 2015, 05:51 PM
For the burning and scabs, you should see a good dermatologist or some medical professional who knows what to do with that.

pailin
November 30th, 2015, 06:23 PM
If you're still having scalp issues, I agree you should get it checked out by a doctor if you haven't already.
You mentioned conflicting information, and I agree. The thing is, people just aren't all the same so the things that work well for some people won't work for others. For example, some people on this forum never use shampoo, only conditioner, and do great with that. But ithers try doing that and end up with hair loss. So basically you'll see here things that work for some people (or most) but they still may not work for you. And that's ok.
With seborrheic dermatitis, you're probably right to stick with regular shampoos. It's probably good to pay attention to others with it, and see what works for them. Some people here have really dry scalp; what works for them probably won't work for you. And what makes your scalp happy is important - it's alive. The hair itself is basically dead.
You mention daily washing, and while most people here seem to wash only once or twice a week, not everyone does. People have told me if I just stop washing so frequently my scalp will adjust.... But it never does, so I stick with what works, and wash daily. That way it doesn't start itching, and usually I can avoid using the dandruff shampoo.
So I'd say, get it checked out with a doctor if you haven't already, and otherwise, do what makes your scalp and hair (in that order) happy. And look at the advice you see here as a place to get ideas to experiment, but not as something that must work for everyone.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck figuring out your own hair!

pailin
November 30th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Also, regarding combing when hair is wet, I think you'll find that most people here agree you shouldn't brush hair when wet, but most if them will use a wide tooth comb. Basically hair is more easily damaged when wet, so you should be careful manipulating it then.
Many of the curly girls will comb when wet (or in the shower), but never when hair is dry.

Entangled
November 30th, 2015, 06:58 PM
The color fade is inevitable, though you can reduce it. Basically, long hair is old hair and hair is dead. It will never be in healthier condition then when it grows from your scalp. Damage, such as the fading from UV rays, is cumulative. So, with that in mind, the basic rule of long hair is great it gently and have patience. As for fancy UV protectors, they're not really all that spectacular. Igor ran an experiment on hair fading a while back; I'll see if I can find it. Her results were that skin sunscreen was overall the best UV ray protection.

RavenMane
December 1st, 2015, 01:47 AM
I too think you should see a doctor to make sure your scalp is ok. If you decide to continue shampooing every day, you could try putting the shampoo only on your scalp and the hair close to your scalp. Lather it up and rinse it out, and the shampoo will rinse down the length of your hair. Washing this way is less damaging than using shampoo to scrub the length of your hair. Also, another idea of something to try: I don't know how the ends of your hair are, but if they get dry or frizzy-feeling, you could try a boar-bristle brush (often called a BBB here). They can cost from $3 and up. Using a BBB on greasy hair before you wash it can help move those natural oils down your hair all the way to the ends. The oils your scalp produce really are good for your hair and help protect the strands. Just brush gently from the scalp down the lengths, parting in different areas as you brush (Do this on dry hair, as in -before you get in the shower). Then if you lather just your scalp and roots of your hair as I said above, you should end up with a clean scalp - without stripping all the oils from the ends of your hair. Also a light rinse-out conditioner after you wash can help protect your hair, and is probably a good idea since you are washing everyday. Good luck and keep asking questions on LHC, everyone is happy to help!

RavenMane
December 1st, 2015, 01:52 AM
P.s. Apply conditioner only to the lengths of your hair, so -from your ears down. Or just the hair that would be in your ponytail. So that you aren't adding to the greasiness on your scalp and roots.

lapushka
December 1st, 2015, 04:37 AM
So, my first problem is that my hair is very, very greasy. Like, seborrheic dermatitis greasy. If I go more than 24 hours in between washes the grease drips down my face and gets my face even greasier than it already is, it looks gross, and it BURNS! Sometimes there are scabs (Hi! Nice to meet you all! Aren't I lovely?). It's easily controlled with daily washing and occasional use of dandruff shampoo, but I was wondering if there may be any tricks I haven't tried to reduce the problem?

Stretching washes is counterproductive with SD, only if the flare-ups are totally under control could you possibly try stretching, and only under the condition that it doesn't make it worse (flare-up). I would try a real anti-fungal shampoo (such as Nizoral 2%, you need to see a dermatologist for this as it is prescription, the 1% is OTC but might not be strong enough). DO NOT use any oils or conditioner on your scalp (ears down).

OK, now my second (and more annoying) problem is the fact that my natural hair color fades. I have dark brown hair, but since childhood the tips just gradually fade to a kind of blond.

Everybody has lighter ends than roots - it's *normal* and THE way to tell that it's dye or natural hair.

Also, using cheaper brands is quite normal - a lot of people on here swear by cheaper drugstore items. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Obsidian
December 1st, 2015, 06:33 AM
If you can't find Nizoral shampoo, you could always try a sulfur based one. My seborrheic dermatitis will flair if I use conditioner of any kind or regular shampoo, sulfate free poo is best at keeping mine under control but many other find they need a good cleansing with sulfates.

Even with my SD, I can go 2-3 days between washes IF I'm not having a flair and I keep my hands out of my hair. I have a tendency to run my fingers through my hair, a lot. If I do this then I get really oily and need to wash daily. So if you are touching your scalp a lot, try to stop. Same goes for brushing, try to only brush/comb your hair when it really needs it.

A hair mask is simply some sort of thick concoction that is slathered on the hair and/or scalp, usually done for deep conditioning. Since your scalp is so oily, you probably want to stay away from any kind of deep treatment unless you just do the ends.

Have you tried a semi permanent gloss to even out your color? It shouldn't be as damaging as regular hair color but it will wash out gradually.

lapushka
December 1st, 2015, 06:42 AM
If you can't find Nizoral shampoo, you could always try a sulfur based one. My seborrheic dermatitis will flair if I use conditioner of any kind or regular shampoo, sulfate free poo is best at keeping mine under control but many other find they need a good cleansing with sulfates.

I'm one of the ones who need sulfates to keep it at bay. I only use regular sulfate shampoo when I don't have a bout of SD, though, when there's itchiness and flakes, I *need* the Nizoral, bad. But in the last couple of years, I was able to stretch from 2/3 washes a week to just 1, in between flare-ups though. I do need double washes with a sulfate shampoo once a week, well I say "double". All that means is I put shampoo on my head once, and suds it up twice, by not rinsing it out fully and re-sudsing the lot. It works for me.

HairPlease
December 1st, 2015, 07:04 AM
Could it be that you're allergic to an ingredient in your shampoo(s) and or conditioner (s)?
My scalp feels much less greasy using a sulfate free shampoo, and only using a sulfate one to clarify weekly.

If you hate the faded ends so much, you could always use a semi/demi-permanent dye (or any dye that needs not developer to minimize damage) that matches your roots, it's not as damaging as lightening the roots to match the ends.

Cavy
December 1st, 2015, 11:09 AM
Wait . . . people DYE the ends of their hair to rid of the fading?! Hair gloss . . . I've never even heard of that! You guys are blowing my mind, hah! I thought there was something wrong with my hair, but maybe everyone else just dyes it? I also had to google sulfate-free shampoo. I'd heard the term thrown around but had never bothered to learn more. I've also never heard of using a boar bristle brush, but I think that's being added to my shopping list. I'll call around to some dermatologists and see how much they'll charge me for an exam. I've never bothered because, as I said, that problem is easily controlled and less annoying than the fading. However, if it doesn't cost too much and this fungicide shampoo could make a significant difference I may grudgingly part with some cash.

lapushka
December 1st, 2015, 11:41 AM
I'll call around to some dermatologists and see how much they'll charge me for an exam. I've never bothered because, as I said, that problem is easily controlled and less annoying than the fading. However, if it doesn't cost too much and this fungicide shampoo could make a significant difference I may grudgingly part with some cash.

If you go to one, don't use your dandruff shampoo vigorously before going, the doctor needs to see it for what it's worth, scaling and all. Don't bother making it "pristine" for him/her. S/he needs to assess the true situation. It's definitely worth going.

Anje
December 1st, 2015, 11:47 AM
Agreeing with the above posters, getting a doctor to check your scalp for issues is a good place to start. Nizoral or a similar shampoo is probably also something that you'll want to keep the worst of the irritation at bay.

I tend to use a lot of Suave Naturals products myself -- there's no shame in using VO5 if that's what's working for you. I've given myself dandruff a couple times using "better" brands of products, and I've concluded that it's better to listen to your body and do what works. There will always be someone raving about how awesome X treatment is, which does not work for you no matter how much you want it to. It's OK if your hair and their hair don't agree, and most of the advise given around here carries a stated or implied "but do what works for you."

Now I color my hair with henna (and other things when it amuses me to do so), so fading ends aren't an issue for me. I probably wouldn't be upset if I did have them -- I happen to think they're kinda cool. But if you want a more uniform color, I'd suggest using a direct dye (that is, it'll be one bottle and no developer that needs mixed in) to get it to match better. There are a lot of dyes like that in wild colors, but one brand that I've tried (Adore) makes a lot of natural shades as well. The stores that sell wigs and extension hair are great to check for dye; that's where I get mine.

Beyond that, it sounds like a lot of what you're doing falls under "benign neglect", which is a great way to grow hair. Most people can grow long just by not doing much that's damaging, and making sure their hair doesn't get rubbed to death on chairs. That's pretty much what I do (though I do braids and buns instead of braids and ponytails, because my hair's pretty long at this point and because I've got a history of having my hair break at the point where it's ponytailed). Make sure you don't "tighten" your ponytail by pulling chunks of it forward, by the way.

katiekittycat
December 1st, 2015, 03:51 PM
I'm probably repeating what everyone else is saying here, but you gotta do what's right for you. I know it seems like everyone else on here doesn't wash their hair often, but a lot of people do! Your scalp is the most important. I have always had a very oily scalp, and lately it's been very buildup prone, so I've been washing it every day with a cleansing conditioner and then shampooing it once a week. It really all depends on what you prefer. Just treat your hair very gently so you can avoid breakage.