PDA

View Full Version : what is your haircare regimen?

reilly0167
November 30th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone.. Not sure where to post this either the henna thread or deep treatment one because it involves both...anywho...since I started henna-ing and reading the forums here I decided to really take better care of my hair...such as stop using box dyes, do oilings, deep treatments, and such but I had such a time of incorporateing all this into a regimen....so I finally sat myself down and actually wrote down what days would be wash day(s) deep treatment day and henna day etc....sounds simple but it was a time factor for me lol...so its been two weeks and its working out..so here's my regimen

Sunday-deep treatment of olive oil, honey,a bit of conditioner for ease of application...put on plastic cap then my terry turban and its on all day and all night.

Monday-wash day using favorite shampoo and conditioner.

Every four to six weeks I henna

Every six to eight weeks ( give or take)microtrim

I tried many DT's(deep treatment)..but this one works the best for me.
So what's is yours?

lapushka
November 30th, 2015, 10:28 AM
I weekly wash (WCC + ROOM + LOC --> all links in my signature). It's a nice routine for me!

reilly0167
November 30th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I weekly wash (WCC + ROOM + LOC --> all links in my signature). It's a nice routine for me!
Cool...I even designated Sundays as wine/spa day...😁🛀

school of fish
November 30th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Here's mine:

Sun - henna my roots and smt my length, leave in about 1-1/2hrs then rinse out with conditioner and finish with an ACV rinse.

Mon/Wed/Thurs/Sat - CO wash and then finish with the ACV rinse.

Tues/Fri - S&C, then finish with the ACV rinse.

I also microtrim once a month on the new moon and add henna to my smt quarterly to make it an smt henna gloss.

That's it! Pretty simple, easy to stick to, beautiful results for my hair :)

reilly0167
November 30th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Here's mine

Sun - henna my roots and smt my length, leave in about 1-1/2hrs then rinse out with conditioner and finish with an ACV rinse.

Mon/Wed/Thurs/Sat - CO wash and then finish with the ACV rinse.

Tues/Fri - S&C, then finish with the ACV rinse.

I also microtrim once a month on the new moon and add henna to my smt quarterly to make it an smt henna gloss.

That's it! Pretty simple, easy to stick to, beautiful results for my hair :)

I like the idea of microtrim on the new moon....I think I do that too....since I follow the path=)

Arctic
November 30th, 2015, 12:17 PM
My current routine is in my profile. I don't henna anymore, but I have lot of henna related writings in my blog, if someone wants to see my old (detailed) henna routines too.

DweamGoiL
November 30th, 2015, 12:18 PM
My haircare routine has become increasingly simple over the years. I basically wash (1-2 times a week, depending when it needs it). I have been cone/sulfate free for over a decade. I have discovered protein is my friend. My fine hair loves it. After washing, I do use a light gel and Monoi Oil. Out of the whole routine, a protein condish and my leave-ins are things I cannot do without. I trim once a year to maintain. I dust when I see a split end, which averages about the same as the trims. I henndigo with coconut milk every 8-10 weeks. I am currently experimenting with oiling every other week with castor oil since my dry winter scalp seems to be digging that!

ETA - I also use a BBB, but not nightly anymore. Now, I brush the day before wash day and bun it and in the Winter a bit more often depending how my scalp is behaving.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 30th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I wash my hair twice a week with diluted shampoo.
Stroke 12 drops of mineral oil over wet hair.
Rinse.
Condition.
Wrap in a microfiber towel for 20 - 30 minutes.
Detangle.
Air dry.

Deep treatments once a month and sometimes a light coconut oiling overnight before washing. Sometimes coconut oil on the last 3 inches of my hair.

Inverted brushing with a Boar Bristle Brush, and a scalp massage when I think to do it.

Currently micro trimming.

reilly0167
November 30th, 2015, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=Sarahlabyrinth;3128724]I wash my hair twice a week with diluted shampoo.
Stroke 12 drops of mineral oil over wet hair.
Rinse.
Condition.
Wrap in a microfiber towel for 20 - 30 minutes.
Detangle.
Air dry.

Deep treatments once a month and sometimes a light coconut oiling overnight before washing. Sometimes coconut oil on the last 3 inches of my hair.

Inverted brushing with a Boar Bristle Brush, and a scalp massage when I think to do it.

Currently micro trimming.[/Q
That's the one thing I need is a boar bristle brush=)

lapushka
November 30th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Cool...I even designated Sundays as wine/spa day...����

I get what you mean. My hairwash day is Sunday. Love it, and it's nice to have it on the same day every week. Even when I used to have it washed 2x a week, I would do that every Wednesday/Sunday.

reilly0167
November 30th, 2015, 02:32 PM
I get what you mean. My hairwash day is Sunday. Love it, and it's nice to have it on the same day every week. Even when I used to have it washed 2x a week, I would do that every Wednesday/Sunday.

It is nice and luv it too...before my new (a set regimen finally lol) I just winged it by OK its been awhile kinda thing...now so much easier of keeping track. And I don't have to change a thing when summer comes around...I'm naturally curly 3c and humidity is so bad here so I go curly and in winter I go straight because humidity is so low....happy hair happy me=)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 30th, 2015, 02:34 PM

I love hair wash days too, it feels so good to know I am pampering my hair! I do Wednesdays and Saturdays because of church on Sundays. I am currently wondering whether to go back to just once a week though, as it gets longer it all seems to take up so much time and I also worry about too - frequent washing affecting my old ends.

I always used to wash once a week, I started doing twice a week 'cos it just felt so good...

Hairkay
November 30th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I water wash every day or every 2/3 days in winter. I wash my hair plaited/braided. During the weekdays I just rinse and go. I'll do my version LOC/LCO (just layered oils, coconut/olive and almond) on damp hair daily to make sure it doesn't dry out.

Once a week (weekends) I'll do a deep conditioning treatment using fruit puree then the alternate week I'll do a protein treatment using coconut milk or yoghurt and fenugreek and then there's the henna glosses. Occasionally I'll had an oat water wash. Once every month or so I'll have a mild vinegar rinse. For a year I did henna glosses with coconut milk every month or so as a protein treatment. That went down to every 3 months. I do keep the conditioning treatments on Sunday so I can mostly do them after I've had a swim. That means I get the chance to sit in the sauna with a plastic cap on as long as my skin doesn't act up. No one but my friend knows I'm sitting there amongst strangers with baby food in my hair, lol. Hair plaits then get undone, preened and finger detangled then plaited/braided up to last the whole week.

Anje
November 30th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I wash maybe 2-3 times a week with diluted shampoo, rinse it out, put conditioner on the length for maybe 5 minutes, and rinse. Turban it, put a few drops of oil in the damp length, detangle, let it finish drying. Wear braids or buns. Repeat when hair near scalp starts to look a bit heavy.

Henna every few months when the roots annoy me. Or grab a wild color dye on a whim and stain hair and bathtub for a month or two. ;)

My hair doesn't need a lot of fuss. Just gentle handling and protective styles.

ChloeDharma
November 30th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I water wash every day or every 2/3 days in winter. I wash my hair plaited/braided. During the weekdays I just rinse and go. I'll do my version LOC/LCO (just layered oils, coconut/olive and almond) on damp hair daily to make sure it doesn't dry out.

Once a week (weekends) I'll do a deep conditioning treatment using fruit puree then the alternate week I'll do a protein treatment using coconut milk or yoghurt and fenugreek and then there's the henna glosses. Occasionally I'll had an oat water wash. Once every month or so I'll have a mild vinegar rinse. For a year I did henna glosses with coconut milk every month or so as a protein treatment. That went down to every 3 months. I do keep the conditioning treatments on Sunday so I can mostly do them after I've had a swim. That means I get the chance to sit in the sauna with a plastic cap on as long as my skin doesn't act up. No one but my friend knows I'm sitting there amongst strangers with baby food in my hair, lol. Hair plaits then get undone, preened and finger detangled then plaited/braided up to last the whole week.

I really like the sound of this routine!!

My routine varies in that I do get lazy and start neglecting my hair for a while every so often. Generally though I wash once a week as my hair is fine and prone to dryness. Sunday is my preferred day to wash my hair and do a treatment whether that's fenugreek, henna or a honey based one. I oil before washing though the choice of oil varies but I always include at least some coconut oil on my length to protect it.
Day to day I just detangle my hair and give it a brush before putting it up and forgetting about it. I keep it oiled from about two days after washing if I can stay indoors but if I go out I oil at least my hairline before bunning to keep the whispies down otherwise the slightest air movement makes me look like Medusa!
Products, well being an indecisive type I vary but I go from very natural to things like mane and tail depending on my mood and how lazy I'm feeling. I do try to do a leave in rinse containing fenugreek seed, rosemary, neem, nettle, rooibos plus EO's of rosemary and peppermint which does a wonderful job of volumising and adding shine, plus it seems to act like a very light setting lotion so if I style my hair it stays straighter with less frizz but if I let it dry curly it makes them look nicer with more bounce.

lapushka
December 1st, 2015, 06:23 AM
I always used to wash once a week, I started doing twice a week 'cos it just felt so good...

If you can stretch that far without it feeling uncomfortable or oily, I say go for it! :)

lapushka
December 1st, 2015, 06:25 AM

I just love it how we're all so different! Your routine sounds so nice and nurturing. :D If I were to do this routine, it would be flake-city and itchiness galore and the fungi on my head would be having a party - yeah that's seborrheic dermatitis for you.

reilly0167
December 1st, 2015, 08:58 AM
One of the reasons posted this thread is to learn from each other and get ideas...this is great =)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 1st, 2015, 01:02 PM
If you can stretch that far without it feeling uncomfortable or oily, I say go for it! :)

I should be able to do it again ok, I will begin after Christmas when all the socializing is done with.

jazzhands
December 2nd, 2015, 10:35 AM
I don't have a set day for when I wash my hair, but now it's around every 5 days. Used to be once a week.
My current routine is gonna change as soon as I use up my shampoos and conditioners, but for now it's as follows:

Henna (Jamila with chamomile) roots as necessary
CWW
Conditioner: Syoss cone-free
Shampoo: Vichy Dercos Calming Sulfate-free shampoo
Finger detangle, air dry and pleat, occasionally brush with a bamboo brush

I keep it down most of the time and make sure to avoid fuzzy jumpers and scarves when I do but otherwise that's it really.

I'm probably gonna get some Urtekram shampoo after this as I don't really see a difference in SLS and non-SLS 'poos, get a BBB and wooden comb and go all herbal. Otherwise it's fairly simple.

Hairkay
December 2nd, 2015, 11:09 AM
I really like the sound of this routine!!

My routine varies in that I do get lazy and start neglecting my hair for a while every so often. Generally though I wash once a week as my hair is fine and prone to dryness. Sunday is my preferred day to wash my hair and do a treatment whether that's fenugreek, henna or a honey based one. I oil before washing though the choice of oil varies but I always include at least some coconut oil on my length to protect it.
Day to day I just detangle my hair and give it a brush before putting it up and forgetting about it. I keep it oiled from about two days after washing if I can stay indoors but if I go out I oil at least my hairline before bunning to keep the whispies down otherwise the slightest air movement makes me look like Medusa!
Products, well being an indecisive type I vary but I go from very natural to things like mane and tail depending on my mood and how lazy I'm feeling. I do try to do a leave in rinse containing fenugreek seed, rosemary, neem, nettle, rooibos plus EO's of rosemary and peppermint which does a wonderful job of volumising and adding shine, plus it seems to act like a very light setting lotion so if I style my hair it stays straighter with less frizz but if I let it dry curly it makes them look nicer with more bounce.

I like my routine too. It's not difficult and apart from the henna glosses I don't spend a lot of time on it.

I just love it how we're all so different! Your routine sounds so nice and nurturing. :D If I were to do this routine, it would be flake-city and itchiness galore and the fungi on my head would be having a party - yeah that's seborrheic dermatitis for you.

Yes my routine suits me well. If I were to try manufactured shampoos and conditioners than my scalp, face, neck and hands would be covered in eczema/dermatitis. I'd be in agony from the 24/7 itching which I would end up scratching at some point after loosing the struggle not to. I'll scratch until there's blood and skin come off. Then there's the risk of the rash getting infected which will bring up painful bumps with pus. The current steroid creams thin out the skin so my scalp would become more fragile and I'd be losing hair . I don't fancy being bald, itchy with weeping sores and pus on my head, face, neck and hands.