PDA

View Full Version : The Reason for Your Goal!

RavenMane
November 28th, 2015, 12:16 PM
If you would like to, please share with us the reason you want to get to your goal length! Or if you like your length, what motivates you to stay there?
Were you inspired by a character or real live person? Do you want to see your hair's potential? Do you find it the most visually pleasing?
I want to get to Classic length because it is so eye-catching! A teenager with her hair in front of her shoulders, that reached to the top of her thigh, inspired me to attempt great lengths. I wanted long hair from the moment I first watched Pocahontas as a child. She was just so pretty and I loved her long, free hair!

RebekahE
November 28th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks for this thread.
My reason is mainly because my hair is thick enough and has the genetics to go long and not that many people have long and I don't like to be like everyone else and long hair is so pretty and eye-catching when properly maintained. One person that has inspired me was Arwen from LOTR, she has dark hair and it's just gorgeous. I love it! Galadriel's is also very pretty.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 28th, 2015, 01:21 PM
The reason I chose Classic for my goal was because my maternal grandmother had classic length hair and my father always used to tell me how beautiful it was. He would sit and watch her brush it when he was a little boy. So I want to honour her by growing my hair like hers and it seems that I have the genetics to be able to do that.

Plus I think it is romantic and in a way, it is a link between myself and all the long haired ladies right throughout history, it's like I am continuing on with the tradition of long hair.

RavenMane
November 28th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Sarahlabyrinth I like the tradition of it too!

Zesty
November 28th, 2015, 01:32 PM
At the end of my last growth journey I reached my goal of TBL. I chose it then because I felt it looked properly long at that point and I think it's very pretty to have hair covering most of one's torso. I chose classic this time because I got to TBL before and I want to do myself one better, plus I also think classic is very romantic.

Phanaferous
November 28th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I've had long-ish hair for quite some time-- never shorter than BSL since my college days 15+ years ago. Over this time I'd go as long as hip length, then get annoyed with it getting stuck in the waist of my pants and cut it back. Around the time my son was born, I'd chopped it to mid-back, and then life got busy and I was too tired to even think about my hair, which of course just continued to grow, and then one day I notice it's creeping past my butt. I'd blown right through the previously annoying stuck in the pants stage, and found a new interest in my hair again.

So now, I want to see how long I can grow it, and have a tentative goal of knee length but may become terminal length. I also like the wow factor I get with extra-long hair, and the option to conceal it (if I don't want to stand out) with a bun. Apparently my hair compacts well when up as I often get "how did you fit all that length into that bun" or "it doesn't look like it could be that long when it's all piled on your head".

katiekittycat
November 28th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I have never had long hair, it's only ever been collar bone length or shorter. Right now it's APL. My final goal is waist length, maybe even hip! I decided to grow it long because I recently got into metal music... I feel like such a dork saying that, but I really want long headbanger hair! Recently I went to a concert where I got to be in front, and the lead singer's hair was so long that I got whipped in the face with it. It was pretty hilarious. She is definitely my hair goals embodied haha. (She is Vicky Psarakis, vocalist for The Agonist) Besides that, I guess I've just always envied long, healthy hair. It looks so gorgeous. And it would be a new experience, since I've never had hair that's long before.

lillielil
November 28th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Princess Leia.

Alastríona
November 28th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I don't have a length goal, just longer. We'll see! I too enjoy stealthing, and I used to get the 'how did you get all your hair into that bun' thing often lol
I always want longer hair than the people I'm with, which around here is regrettably not difficult.

turtlelover
November 28th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I am at APL, which was my original goal length after years of shorter hair, and I enjoy it and would be happy to stay at this length if my hair couldn't get any longer, though I would love to have my hair as long as tailbone length someday if it will indeed stay thick enough at the ends as it grows longer. I find the ritual of caring for longer hair to be kind of relaxing, and I've had a couple of mother figures that had awesome long hair when they were younger that I believe kind of imprinted me with a love for long hair.

cat11
November 28th, 2015, 02:36 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/yuz5zfeal53bip51ybes.jpg

and

http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/photo.goodreads.com/books/1400860110i/7047._UY200_.jpg

Thoughtcriminal
November 28th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Because it's out of the ordinary! Super-short hair on women isn't uncommon anymore, and tailbone length hair is still in the realm of normal (at least in my family). When I hit classic, it'll stand out. (and once I hit classic and clean up my ends, I'll consider moving on mid thigh)

Hair long enough to be out of the ordinary is also my way of showing that I can keep a commitment and put in hard work without instant gratification.

Nique1202
November 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM
It sounds odd, but ever since I was a kid, if I closed my eyes and thought about myself, I saw suuuper long hair in my mental self-image, something between knee and floor length. Even though I kept my hair short for a long time even after I had control over the length, that was still always in the back of my head. Then I got the shortest haircut I'd ever had on pure impulse, and that's when I just knew it was time to start trying to grow it out to the length I saw in my head. I don't know if I'll make it all the way past knee, but I need to get my hair as long as possible to see if that's really what I want to look like (and if I can handle the upkeep) or if it's just a misguided fancy that turned into an obsession.

longhairjenny
November 28th, 2015, 03:40 PM
I can keep a commitment and put in hard work without instant gratification.

That resonates with me too! It is a commitment. And I like that.

lapushka
November 28th, 2015, 04:01 PM
If you would like to, please share with us the reason you want to get to your goal length! Or if you like your length, what motivates you to stay there?
Were you inspired by a character or real live person? Do you want to see your hair's potential? Do you find it the most visually pleasing?
I want to get to Classic length because it is so eye-catching! A teenager with her hair in front of her shoulders, that reached to the top of her thigh, inspired me to attempt great lengths. I wanted long hair from the moment I first watched Pocahontas as a child. She was just so pretty and I loved her long, free hair!

I probably explained that before, as there were threads like this in the past. ;)

As a young teen I had classic length, and so now at 43 I have classic length again. I wanted to reach that goal again, because of the fond memories I had of my hair being that length.

Groovy Granny
November 28th, 2015, 04:28 PM
With short wurly silver, I looked like my Grandmother with a perm (love you Memere :wink:), and it was very hard to style.
Rather than stay miserable, I decided to go back in time, and grow my hair like it was in the 1960's.... MBL/WL.

Here they mostly 'curl up and dye' and go short for my age (63+) so I am going against the grain; you only see a few older longhairs here :p

While browsing pinterest for inspiration, I spotted Carina Amani and aimed to get to her length; the pics of other older longhair silvers also kept me strong in my potential and resolve.

Now I have gone way beyond my initial goal of Carina's BSL, and I loved it....so on I go.

I am already the longest I have ever been in my life at WL+, but wish to grow on to HIP.
It will cover my back, is sensual, and yet while being the longest I have ever been, it will be easily managed ...up or down; I love it down in the Winter :)

school of fish
November 28th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I have many reasons for choosing my length, but the heart of it is that long hair makes me feel feminine and attractive :) I'm a girly kind of girl, so long hair suits my personality.

But I'm also a very practical kind of girl, which means I refuse to grow to a length that makes me feel like I'm a slave to my hair. I wear it down most of the time, so my current length (which is hovering around BCL) is the best balance between aesthetics and practicality for me. It's long enough to get noticed but not so long that I have to treat it with kid gloves. I can enjoy feeling it swish around my body without worrying about sitting on it or getting it caught on doorknobs. It's unusual enough that it catches peoples' eyes but not to the point that I get unwanted stares or questions. It's a length that's very easy to care for but makes me feel unique.

I'm also in a line of work where long and dramatic hair is the expectation. With my texture I can't get drama from volume (not without considerable damage), but I can get it from length, colour, condition and shine - so I go for that :D

papayatree
November 28th, 2015, 07:28 PM
The reason why I want my goal length is because I want to find a length of hair that makes me the happiest! I hate having short hair, so the only way to make myself happy is to wait and grow!

Beckstar
November 28th, 2015, 07:31 PM
BLS+ because long curls are pretty. :)

neko_kawaii
November 28th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I don't know how long my hair can get, hence my goal is terminal. I've experienced all the short styles, now I'm checking out the long ones.

Silverbrumby
November 28th, 2015, 07:45 PM
I've never had long hair and I wanted to see if it was possible. Fast forward 4 years here (I think) and it's still at BSL. Turns out I can't grow it long. Also turns out aging is thinning my hair. I think my terminal is about 100 hairs going to waist. At least that's the longest it's been able to reach so far. That's also short lived because those 100 hairs are so straggly I usually cut them back to BSL.

My current goal is to grow out healthy shiny hair to terminal length OR the longest possible that still looks good. Whichever comes first.

bunneh.
November 29th, 2015, 08:23 AM
I had long hair pretty much my entire life but never longer than TBL. That's because I cut it back to waist thinking that I'd be able to do more styles with it... I've always seen videos on youtube of people doing different hairstyles and I just always felt like I have way too much hair for any of them to work and it was too long to deal with. Then I came on LHC and got really inspired by all the members here and decided to grow. My first goal was classic, but now I'm hoping I can get to FTL. The reason I chose FTL is because it looks so gorgeous and it seems the perfect length, it's long but not so long you wouldn't be able to live with it anymore (I'm sure you could get used to it but it seems high maintenance and dedication and I'm too lazy :whistle: ) and classic is just a tad bit longer than TBL on me so... It probably wouldn't bring me as much satisfaction as FTL... And I'm young and crazy and I have time to experiment and grow and learn different hairstyles to make my life in the future easier lol... When I get to FTL I'll see whether I'll keep growing it, maintain at FTL or cut it shorter...

ravenheather
November 29th, 2015, 09:25 AM
My goal is terminal because I have no idea how long my hair will grow. I didn't wanna to get my heart set on a particular length only to find out that my genetics are working against me. I truly want to be accepting of my hair as it's meant to be.

truepeacenik
November 29th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I probably explained that before, as there were threads like this in the past. ;)

As a young teen I had classic length, and so now at 43 I have classic length again. I wanted to reach that goal again, because of the fond memories I had of my hair being that length.

To be fair, the last time anyone posted in those goal threads was mid 2014. I had to use advanced search ,titles only, mane forum only to get them.
Maybe the goal setting/inspiration/idols threads should get a post of their own and be part of the FAQ.

One part of the question is new, to me.
If you are satisfied with your length, why do you stay?

While I'm not the sort to be satisfied with length, I can say why I stay, as I'm on multiple hair communities.
LHC is hands down the deepest reservoir of practical care tips on the web. It's PG rated and keeps the creepers out, or at least creepers without manners.
I go elsewhere for my creepy people, please and thank you. ;)
LHC is inherently welcoming. Even in real time, face to face meets.
Granted, those meets make me feel like I have short hair, but whatever.

We have our issues. We have room to improve.
We could be more welcoming to men, who often have a harder time on this journey.
We could understand African hair textures more. I know I'm getting an education in it as our Black members post.
We could be more welcoming to non binary and trans people, without the politics.
We could have more science based advice. And listen when people stand up and say, that's a really bad idea (biotin megadosing comes to mind).

lapushka
November 29th, 2015, 09:43 AM
To be fair, the last time anyone posted in those goal threads was mid 2014. I had to use advanced search ,titles only, mane forum only to get them.
Maybe the goal setting/inspiration/idols threads should get a post of their own and be part of the FAQ.

Maybe some of them can be merged... here's an idea. :)

truepeacenik
November 29th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Gads... They'd look like Ficcare threads... An abyss of information that can't be found!
Making one master thread, and linking all of them, but keeping only one open might work.
I personally find threads of more than 100 pages too daunting.
If I ran the zoo, and I'm heartily glad I do not, I'd have these recurring threads active until a certain post number, close it, opening a new one with the link to the previous one at the same time. Each new thread would link to the just pervious one, which would have the preceding thread and so on.

Radioduck
November 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I want to reach waist length because I'm curious how it will look on me. That's the only reason I have, actually.

VisionOne
November 29th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I am growing my hair long because ever since I was very little I have dreamed about long, princess hair. My mom however, had other ideas and kept my hair in a bob for my whole childhood ("short hair is easier to manage"). When I got a bit older I discovered flat irons and began abusing my hair with them. Long story short: I never had long hair even though I dreamt about it. But now, when I know how to care for my hair and have all of you ladies and gents to ask for advice whenever I am in doubt I think I will be able to grow the mane of my dreams.

When I first started growing my hair I thought waist would be a nice length, but like many others here at LHC I wanted to grow longer once I hit my original goal. Now I am aiming for the stars and my goal is classic or at least TBL.
Sorry for any errors in my text, I am writing on my phone.

Mavi
November 29th, 2015, 02:37 PM
I want knee length hair because I love the natural look and feel of extremely long hair. I have always been inspired by the portrayal of hair amongst first nations people and I see long hair as a reflection of a person's connection with the earth. The longer my hair gets, the more ethereal I feel.

RavenMane
November 29th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Sorry for posting similar to an existing thread. Truepeacenik, with the question about being satisfied with one's length, I meant to provide an opportunity for anyone to share why they want to stay at a certain length, not why they stay here on LHC :) sorry if that wasn't clear!

syndel
November 29th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Pure unapologetic vanity for me :p. I think extremely long hair is the epitome of beauty, and I want it for myself.

chen bao jun
November 29th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Waist.

The women on my father's side of the family in his generation all had at least waist length, natural (no heat, no chemicals) hair. My hair never grew past bottom of my shoulder blades, straightened and I believe this is because my mother insisted on straightening mine at age 8, in spite of my father's protests. I would like to grow the length of hair that my cousins and aunts with the same hairtype all had. Waist, natural, unstretched.

I probably started too late to manage this (and it turns out that I have slow growing hair) but I am having fun trying now, and love my hair, which I never did when it was straightened

My paternal grandmother had classic length but I think that's too much to hope for at this point. Oh well.

DaisyCake
November 29th, 2015, 06:57 PM
ever since I was a kid, if I closed my eyes and thought about myself, I saw suuuper long hair in my mental self-image

This!!! You put my subconscious thoughts into words!!

I have done a lot of drawing in my life, mostly fairies and the like. Not a single one with hair shorter than hip length. Different colors and textures of hair but always long. I hope I have it in me not to give up and succumb to discouragement or doubt when it comes.

Hypothesis
November 29th, 2015, 07:43 PM
When I was young, I had super long hair, almost tailbone length, but I really admired the short haircuts of my childhood heros (Scully from the x-files, Sam from stargate, Amy (Ami) from sailor moon and Sakura from Cardcaptors) so I cut my hair into a pixie at 7 and kept it short up until I completed high school. After high school I really wanted to be completely different to what I was, and what's the opposite of really short hair? Really long hair. So while my hair right now is still short to what I envision it to be, It is the longest it's been in more than 10 years. I now admire people like BeautyKLove and strive to have hair as long and even longer than waist.

KittyCatCarrie
November 29th, 2015, 08:28 PM
My goal is: as long a possible! I have had long hair since I was a kid. Growing up living next door to my cousin Windy (who had ankle length hair) always inspired and captivated me with her long hair. I want to see how long mine will get.

Cheyne
November 29th, 2015, 08:29 PM
When my daughter was born in '96, I never cut her hair during her childhood. It grew to FTL by the time she was 12. When she was 13 she decided to cut her hair to shoulder length and is now at a Pixie cut. Even though I started growing my own hair at that point, I believe my decision to grow my hair was in my subconscious. I never thought about it until I was at Hip plus when I joined LHC in Oct '13. Since joining LHC I have learned to take better care of my hair, made it to TB in Aug. '14, cut 7" off that month and am an inch past TB again. I want to get to Classic, and maintain there while the bleached ends grow out and the beautiful silver and grey become my only hair color :). Once that is accomplished (I estimate 3-4 years for all color to be gone) I will move on to FTL or term, whichever comes first.

Arete
November 29th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Initially I wanted waist length because i really liked long hair. By the time I hit waist, I wanted hip, when I hit hip, I decided to go for classic, see how I like it, and if I find it's too much, trim back up to TBL. Now that I'm about 4" from classic, I'm thinking I'll stay at classic for a bit to even out my hemline, then grow to somewhere between classic and FTL.
I just really like it, and being able to do all sorts of styles, especially braids. There are so many cool things you can do with long hair.

LauraAlaina
November 29th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Why? I have no idea. I've always been obsessed with long hair even when I was little. I used to wear turtlenecks on my head when i was little to pretend it was my hair. I guess it makes me feel feminine, pretty...who knows?

RavenMane
November 29th, 2015, 09:00 PM
It's lovely reading everyone's reasons! I'm happy to be growing with you all.

cadencesday
November 29th, 2015, 09:03 PM
I had my hair to my hip most of my life but I never learned how to keep it truly healthy before this site. I started cutting and using hair dye 5 years ago but I missed my big bun. This last June, I cut my hair from waist to mid back on my birthday. I was going to dye it when I came on this site again trying to learn curl types. Looking at all the treads that day made me stop. This year I decided to embrace my hair instead of being annoyed by it and let my hair grow out to where I can do endless buns again. Plus, secretly I missed my hair scarf in the winter.

Sparklylady82
November 29th, 2015, 11:44 PM
It makes me feel feminine and unique. I like that I can change my looks with my hair in the way I style it while long. I can wear it curly, straight, naturally wavy when down. I can create beautiful up-do's, braids or a simple swingy ponytail! I'm also curious of how long it will grow and I like the challenge. I've never been a very committed personality type so this pushes me to change. Lastly, it fits my personality.

Dessi
November 30th, 2015, 12:39 AM
I choosed Classic length as my goal because I feel like this is where fairy hair begins! There's something magical about this length.
And as Sarahlabyrinth mentioned, I also link this length with the longhaired ladies throughout history. :)

KittyBird
November 30th, 2015, 03:27 AM
I wanted to grow to terminal, but can't grow much longer than hip without getting headaches and scalp pain when I wear my hair up. I got to classic stretched, and couldn't take it anymore. I tried cutting back to tbl, but my hair was still too heavy, so I keep it between waist and hip length nowadays. I'm a bit sad that I won't be able to grow to knee and maybe beyond, but waist/hip is a nice length, and I can wear my hair down a lot more than I could at tbl +.

Estrid
November 30th, 2015, 03:44 AM
I like the look of long hair, I also like the thought of having something that is different.

First my goal was hip length, but I've changed my mind a bit there, I think I might go for classic of ftl. Hip just seems too short to feel special, but it felt like it would be more practical.

I can't say for sure when I will stop or feel that "this is it", my hair still has some years to go before I get close to those lengths. All I know is that this (BSL) is waaaaay too short.

/Margo

school of fish
November 30th, 2015, 05:35 AM
...I've always been obsessed with long hair even when I was little. I used to wear turtlenecks on my head when i was little to pretend it was my hair...

I used to do this too!!! With knitted ponchos - those were everywhere at the time, haha! I had a pixie throughout my childhood - my mom has always kept her hair in a pixie and cut mine the same way because she felt it was easier to care for. There's another reason for me choosing long hair now, because I never had it as a child and wished so much that I did back then :)

In the last couple years since I've truly learned what my hair wants and how to care for it, I've been asking myself how is it that it's taken me so long to learn how to properly care for my hairtype... I recently realized it's probably because my mom didn't know how herself, I had no sisters, and only one female cousin my age who lived far away, so no one to learn from/with. And almost all my friends had completely opposite hair to mine, so their care habits never seemed to work for me :)

My mom has one of those poncho-hair pictures floating around somewhere - it's pretty funny-looking, although of course in my child's imagination it was majestic and flowing and glorious!! Haha!

Mavi
November 30th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Initially I wanted waist length because i really liked long hair. By the time I hit waist, I wanted hip, when I hit hip, I decided to go for classic, see how I like it, and if I find it's too much, trim back up to TBL. Now that I'm about 4" from classic, I'm thinking I'll stay at classic for a bit to even out my hemline, then grow to somewhere between classic and FTL.
I just really like it, and being able to do all sorts of styles, especially braids. There are so many cool things you can do with long hair.

I totally identify with this. When I first started growing out from chin, I would say to myself "My hair will feel long enough once it's at APL", then APL came and went and I wanted BSL, then BSL was too short, then waist wasn't long enough, now I'm at hip and I'm telling myself classic is a nice place to stop, but I have a feeling once I get there I'm going to decide to go for even longer :P

luvlonghair75
November 30th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I have always had BSL for as long as I can remember. (my avatar is my usual length) Why? Because every time my hair got longer and easier tangled, I'd get all the split ends that were causing the tangles cut off. Well, now I have been here on this site almost one full year and I've learned how not to get so many tangles and how not to run for the scissors every time there's a knot! My hair is now waist length and I love how it is and where it's at! :0 I just want it to grow as long as it possibly can and staying strong at the same time! So far, so great! :D Thank you, LHC! :blossom:

chen bao jun
November 30th, 2015, 09:42 AM
To be honest, I'd have floor length as a goal if I thought it was remotely possible. Floor length looks so beautiful and I love to go over to that thread and stare at them. I also kind of like the idea that you can't wear it down easily at that length. I think its romantic to be like the 19th century, the periods in it when women had their hair plain in the front, but from the side, you see this big, heavy bun and their necks look so graceful, like flower stems, and then what a surprise, when they take hair pins out, they have this cascade of hair to their feet, so feminine and lovely.

Even at my length, I love the fact that people cant tell I have hair of any appreciable amount when its in a bun and when I take it out, they are so surprised and admiring. And I can keep it private if I want,and not have people admiring my curls, which means pulling at them usually :(

If my hair would ever grow to floor length (it wouldn't, I am sure of that), I would still have curls, since they are the smaller kind of curls which don't disappear with weight and hair length. That would be awesome.

Komao
November 30th, 2015, 10:03 AM

I'm at BCL right now. I'm enjoying it. I'll be thrilled at classic length but I must say there is something about thigh length that is outstanding to me. I would like to see my hair's potential. I do wonder what might be my terminal length. I've been inspired by many on LHC and I love looking at knee length and beyond but not sure if I would be able to handle lengths like that? Time will tell.
I've loved long hair all my life. Whenever I'm out I'm always on the quest for beautiful, long hair sightings. It's just such a pleasure to look at. :)

Komao
November 30th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Why? I have no idea. I've always been obsessed with long hair even when I was little. I used to wear turtlenecks on my head when i was little to pretend it was my hair. I guess it makes me feel feminine, pretty...who knows?

I saw your post and had to laugh. My sister and I use to borrow my mothers half slips and put them on our heads and pretend it was our long flowing hair. Once my sister pinned belts in her hair to look like long braids. She fell asleep like that and I'm sure it was a mystery to some but we were obsessed re: long hair. :)

MeAndTheMaz
December 1st, 2015, 10:21 AM
I'm going for something around MBL. I think much more than that would be unmanageable for me. I'm lazy. I don't bun or braid. I work outside in the summer, so the sun is kinda brutal.

But, you never know. Mine wouldn't be the first length goal to slip.

:scissors:

LHC is hands down the deepest reservoir of practical care tips on the web. It's PG rated and keeps the creepers out, or at least creepers without manners.
I go elsewhere for my creepy people, please and thank you. ;)
LHC is inherently welcoming. Even in real time, face to face meets.
Granted, those meets make me feel like I have short hair, but whatever.

We have our issues. We have room to improve.
We could be more welcoming to men, who often have a harder time on this journey.
We could understand African hair textures more. I know I'm getting an education in it as our Black members post.
We could be more welcoming to non binary and trans people, without the politics.
We could have more science based advice. And listen when people stand up and say, that's a really bad idea (biotin megadosing comes to mind).

I don't think us men folk are treated particularly bad. . .that is. . .I don't think us men folk are treated particularly bad Mistress truepeacenik.
:run::couch:

Anje
December 1st, 2015, 10:30 AM
No goal right now. I wanted to make at least tailbone, then see what it would be like to wrap a braid around my head. (The answer is: unbalanced. I've got too much taper for that to work out.)

So I'm letting it grow for a while. Maybe I'll get to knee. Maybe I'll decide that past fingertip is too hard to deal with. Maybe I'll bleach streaks in it and dye it to look like flames. I don't really know yet.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 1st, 2015, 12:58 PM
I love this thread, it's so interesting! Not that others aren't, but - you know.

Arctic
December 1st, 2015, 02:42 PM
I don't really have goal lengths anymore. Originally I think I was actually inspired by a anime character with mid-length hair. Now I just want to be happy with my hair, whether it's short or long. When I first joined here I went through the typical growth of the goal length ideals, and I think the longest I ever wanted to grow was to hip. I don't dream such length anymore, and would be happy with mid-length hair - although I don't think it would make me more happy than what I am right now (or what I would be with a flattering pixie). One of my motivations has been the ability to make different hair styles, but I have already achieved that, and I can do more hair styles and looks than I realistically have time to make. I don't know, there isn't really anything to keep me from cutting shorter, and I probably will do so again, some day. Right now this is a good place to be with my hair, slowly growing it while also growing out some layers and hopefully some re-growth from my hair loss. In the past my hair has reached its longest at the top of my BSL, and getting back there, maybe even a bit past it to the bottom of my BSL, would be a nice goal-ish. The length (or any length) itself isn't really motivating me though, I would rather have my thickness back, and in general to be happy about what I see in the mirror.

Sweets
December 1st, 2015, 04:26 PM
Because I miss the long hair I had when I wasn't wearing a pixie or growing it out. Now that I know how to take care of it and be nice to it, I feel empowered to have the most beautiful hair I've ever had. I'm also wildy curious about how long I can actually get it, too, with daily mindfulness. I am a person who loves extremes...and I'm tired of the pixie extreme, because it required so much maintenance and cuts every few weeks. Now I have mostly healthy, virgin hair (still recovering after a long illness that made me very underweight, so my hair suffered).

I want healthy, long hair so that I can feel healthy again in that respect, after being so sick. My goal at this point is WL, but I wouldn't mind resetting my goal to hip after I make it to waist. When I had long hair, I used to rip a brush through it and hot-blow-dry it and bleach and dye it - no more!

hannabiss
December 1st, 2015, 06:13 PM
Another vote for vanity. Plus I missed the swishy feeling from when I'd walk and it bounce behind me

Chocowalnut
December 2nd, 2015, 12:20 AM
My hair goal is hip-tbl, because I think this length is very long without being too long (for me). I think I would love how it feels and looks at this length and remind me of a mythical creature like an elf or mermaid, or anime character.

ThrowNormanAway
December 2nd, 2015, 02:05 AM
I wish I could say I were in it for any kind of deeply personal reason, but I think vanity wins this one! i love having things that make my look very unique, perhaps even provocatively so. When I had short hair, it was a buzz cut. When I got a tattoo, it was a full backpiece. Yknow what I mean? So now that I want to beat my personal hair length record, which is somewhere between hip and tailbone (back in my freshman year of high school... Things get a little fuzzy trying to remember) I'm just going to go for the gusto and see how long I can get it. Plus, I think I look really good with long hair so that's yet another benefit, and my husband likes (as I do) when I do more traditional braiding hairstyles too so that's a win.

I'm trying to get to classic so that I can maintain and eliminate my layers. Till then I'm just going to S&D, so I really don't think I can say I'm satisfied with my current situation. Oh, how I regret my last "real" haircut... I digress. I really can't foresee a length that will satisfy me for any prolonged period of time. Headed for terminal, but who knows. the goalposts are always changing.

Wosie
December 2nd, 2015, 03:20 AM
Oh, I guess I have several reasons for my hair goal, come to think of it... First and foremostly, I think classic length hair is the most visually pleasing one there is. :) Second of all, I want to see how long my hair can get while still looking nice and thick, this is really interesting to me... Thirdly I've never gone beyond hip-BCL length hair before, so it's like conquering new terrains. :graduate:

astrid92
December 2nd, 2015, 08:24 AM
Before my last year in high school I had always kept my hair between shoulder length and apl, though I only cut my hair once a year. I had always thought that my hair was short even though it has always been the longest in my family. When I went to university I decided it was time to start growing my hair. It is now just about hip length and I am determined to grow it to at least classic. I also believe that I want to grow my hair to be an open rebellion against the ideology that my father's family has about not having hair longer than neck length (my father however dislikes this ideology).

Sparklylady82
December 2nd, 2015, 11:56 PM
I wish I could say I were in it for any kind of deeply personal reason, but I think vanity wins this one! i love having things that make my look very unique, perhaps even provocatively so. When I had short hair, it was a buzz cut. When I got a tattoo, it was a full backpiece. Yknow what I mean? So now that I want to beat my personal hair length record, which is somewhere between hip and tailbone (back in my freshman year of high school... Things get a little fuzzy trying to remember) I'm just going to go for the gusto and see how long I can get it. Plus, I think I look really good with long hair so that's yet another benefit, and my husband likes (as I do) when I do more traditional braiding hairstyles too so that's a win.

I'm trying to get to classic so that I can maintain and eliminate my layers. Till then I'm just going to S&D, so I really don't think I can say I'm satisfied with my current situation. Oh, how I regret my last "real" haircut... I digress. I really can't foresee a length that will satisfy me for any prolonged period of time. Headed for terminal, but who knows. the goalposts are always changing.

Hey friend!!!
Yeah vanity!!
:hifive::hifive::hifive::hifive:

ThrowNormanAway
December 4th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Hey friend!!!
Yeah vanity!!
:hifive::hifive::hifive::hifive:

Hey, I know that avatar!! :)

Elizabeth E
April 20th, 2018, 02:51 PM
I will be very pleased if I can make it to knee-length. According to some calculations I made a while ago, my terminal length could be between classic and knee. Even classic is fine - anything long enough to sit on. Long enough to be 'not-your-average-long'. Though I really dream of knee, I would never want it longer than that. Knee-length is a very...aethestically pleasing length for me, if I could put it that way.
It's long enough to be considered 'super long', yet not so long that everybody calls you Rapunzel. Being a bit of a tomboy, I'm not always such a fan of the Rapunzel comment, sorry. But yeah, I really hope that I can get there one day. We'll see!

ravenskey
April 20th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Partially curiosity and part because I think it looks nice.

Glitch
April 20th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Ooh, good thread :)
I'd like to reach hip length because on me, that would be where my hair would visually appear pretty long and I would be satisfied. My current waist length hair does not look that long on me with my height. And I was inspired by a friend who had stunning hair. It was the first time that I felt a strong desire to seriously grow mine out. Her thick, blunt hemline and gorgeous free-flowing hair really exuded her beauty and delicate personality. That look will always be my favorite!

I'd love to see my hair's full potential once all of the old heat and bleach damage has been cut off over time :) While hip length is very appealing to me, I've seen all sorts of lengths that make me wish I had it like them, so I don't have a fixed preference.

JennGalt
April 20th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Because for the first time in my life I believe it's actually possible. I have always loved the look of TBL hair and once thought that was insanely long (pre-LHC), believing it was simply something I'd never have. Once I hit TBL and microtrim out some old heat damage, I will likely try to find my terminal length just to see what it is. I've already decided I will never cut back shorter than HL just because it's so much easier to deal with when it's longer--though I suspect my "minimum length" will get longer as my hair grows.

Glitch, I have the same problem: WL doesn't look very long on me. Shorties unite!

Glitch
April 20th, 2018, 05:25 PM
... Glitch, I have the same problem: WL doesn't look very long on me. Shorties unite!

Definitely feel you on that! Well said, I would describe it as short too lol -we'll get there, though ;)

lithostoic
April 20th, 2018, 05:27 PM
I like the versatility of long hair. So many buns, braids, and in between that only work on long hair! But I think hip will be my limit as I'm already having difficulty wrangling my hair with waist+.

lucid
April 20th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I have always loved the look of a long braid. A simple braid is my go-to style, and I really want a TBL long braid! :D

I have had short hair most of my childhood (my own wish) and never really had super long hair before (bsl tops). When I first started growing it out about 7 years ago (from bsl, but I have cut away tons of damage on the way), I realized that I just really loved my hair long! I didn't think I could have super long hair though, because of the feedback I got from people always telling me my hair looked to thin for the length. But after joining here I got more confident, and now I don't care - no, I don't have the thickest hair, and it probably looks thinner than it is because of 1a with no volume, but it still looks nice! And that's when I set my first big goal of TBL length braid (which is somewhere between tbl and classic length for me, my braids doesn't eat up lots of length).

Aredhel
April 20th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Little I do in life takes too much thought beyond impulse... my reason is just because I love long hair... that's all there is to it. :p

AutobotsAttack
April 20th, 2018, 06:43 PM
I’ve always admired long hair as a child. And for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why my hair wasn’t long or didn’t seem to grow. As I’ve gotten older I’ve found out that Afro-textured hair needs a whole different approach and plethora of hair care. Especially if it’s chemically treated.

Im hoping to be Classic at the end of the year, stretched. I want to showcase how all hair grows, and how genetics tend to be very graceful and giving to all Ethnicities, once you allow your hair to flourish with some patience added in. I want to showcase how beautiful Afro-textured hair can be, and how it can be extremely long, but can also shrink up to shorter styles and be worn short. The versatility of hair textures such as mine.

And hopefully I can inspire another younger lady such as myself, to learn to love her hair, and work with it, in whatever form she chooses to have it in, because all hair is beautiful.

Dark40
April 20th, 2018, 08:00 PM
The reason why I choose ankle length for my goal is because a girl inspired me with ankle length hair at my church during childhood. It was brown for a while then during her teenage years she dyed it red. Ever since I was little I had always wanted classic length or beyond hair. Because, I love extremely long hair!!! It helps me look and feel more feminine rather than having shorter hair.

shaluwm_agape
April 20th, 2018, 10:15 PM
My goal is classic. I had my hair as a child this length & miss it. But i am really doing it for faith reasons. I have had a lot of lengths over the yrs and honestly i believe longer will be lower maintainance which i am. I need more time to focus on more important things. Myself my faith my hubby. Its also out of respect for my love & i just love it

leayellena
April 21st, 2018, 01:32 AM
My goal is classic and beyond. Floor length would be amazing! I grow my hair very long because my family lied to me about going bald if I keep my hair longer than ear length (Angela Merkel's hair).

Milady_DeWinter
April 21st, 2018, 01:51 AM
Not a particular reason in my case... My goal is Classic stretched, about TBL curly. I think that's the longer I can deal with in "real life", working/studying and enjoying my hair both up and loose :) We'll see when I get there!

poli
April 21st, 2018, 02:32 AM
I was led to believe fine hair can't grow long (rl long = waist) so I decided to try it. Eventually I would like blunt full hemline at waist + That might take some time because I'm at waist with still layered ends.

Katsura
April 21st, 2018, 02:59 AM
I had long hair as a child up to when I was about 11 and wanted to cut it to change something about myself. Now I want it back.
I also think about my grandmother, who's been gone for decades now, but who I can remember having a long straight nearly black hair up to when she was at old age. For me it was fascinating, as she pulled all these pins from her braided bun, let down her long hair and completely transformed from this plainly dark dressed strict religious person, who did no flaunt with her appearence in any way, into a long haired creature who looked like she was about to fly out the window with Peter Pan. That particular memory of her has kind of stuck in my mind.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 21st, 2018, 03:00 AM
I was led to believe fine hair can't grow long (rl long = waist) so I decided to try it. Eventually I would like blunt full hemline at waist + That might take some time because I'm at waist with still layered ends.

Not true - happily! My hair is fine and I'm at knee.

Margarita
April 21st, 2018, 03:16 AM
The reason for my goal is to finally see a different image of my hair after all this time. I've had the same hair all over again and now this is where i want a new image of my hair. I've never had very long hair, nor very healthy hair in the past. Thats why i want all of these to become the image on my hair, and the one already it is depicted on my hair(the healthiness). Now, i want to see my hair grow long as fast as possible and beautiful =D

Lumienkeli
April 21st, 2018, 05:49 AM
I had long hair as a child up to when I was about 11 and wanted to cut it to change something about myself. Now I want it back.
I also think about my grandmother, who's been gone for decades now, but who I can remember having a long straight nearly black hair up to when she was at old age. For me it was fascinating, as she pulled all these pins from her braided bun, let down her long hair and completely transformed from this plainly dark dressed strict religious person, who did no flaunt with her appearence in any way, into a long haired creature who looked like she was about to fly out the window with Peter Pan. That particular memory of her has kind of stuck in my mind.

My grandmother had her hair between BSL and waist. She always wear it in a bun but i loved to see when she let down her hair in the evening. It was a silver waterfall. When she got a pixie cut because health issues i cried for her long hair. She was a long haired lady, even after that pixie cut in my eyes. I miss her so much, but my reason to grow my hair to waist is not she.

I had pixie hair as a child because my parents wish. Then once a little girl thought I am a boy and started to cry because i was in the girl's toilet in school. I started to grow out my hair because i hated that moment. I choosed waist length as a goal because I had it in 2005-2006 when i started to mess up my hair with permanent dyes and layered cuts. I am not sure waist is my final goal. Let's see.

Joules
April 21st, 2018, 05:59 AM
I want my hair to touch my butt, so I'll be a happy camper the moment it reaches BCL. No particular reason, I just love how it looks.

I put classic length as my ultimate goal because, again, I love how it looks. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. I don't know if my hair can even get there, I plan to microtrim and maintain BCL for a year or two when I reach it (it should happen by the end of the year with no/minimal trims). But maybe one day I'll join the group of Rapunzels with classic+ length!

I don't think I want hair longer than classic, to me it looks kinda uncomfortable and unmanageable. But who knows, right?

chomsky
April 21st, 2018, 06:38 AM
I think hip to tailbone will look nice on me.

I do have an long-term goal of classic, but obviously I don't know if I'll ever be able to get there, so hip is a more obtainable goal.

It also depends on how manageable my hair will be at these lengths. I've never had hair longer than my elbows, so if it becomes unmanageable at hip, I'll cut back. If I think my hair can grow more and I'd be comfortable handling it, then I'll grow it some more.

My ultimate goal is healthy, shiny hair. :lol:

Stray_mind
April 21st, 2018, 09:01 AM
I imagine myself having TBL hair with a soft V or U hemline someday.. I think it will look pretty and i love all the styles i will be able to make :)

cjk
April 21st, 2018, 09:21 AM
I don't have a specific goal length, though I do want to achieve a few specific styles like a ponytail (done), a French twist (done), a French braid, and so forth.

But ultimately the answer to the question is that I wanted to.

And since I have some thinning at the crown, I'd better do it now.

Luna Starsetta
April 21st, 2018, 10:36 AM
After reading all of these I find it truly inspiring. No one in my family has super long hair. My garndpartents all have short hair. As a child anytime I saw these: :scissors: I bassicly ran and locked myself in the nearest place that had a door that locked. As long as I can remember I had long hair. Little did I know it was possible to have such super long hair. I had never seen anyone with long hair other then my mom. Who was basically around the same length as me all her life. I guess you could say I have a few reasons about keeping my hair long. Ive been growing it all my life. Only ever trimming when really having to.

One thing from my childhood I remember distinctly almost perfectly like yesterday. I went to the hair salon and got a trim maybe an inch. Or half and inch. I was very not okay with scissors still. My Pappy waiting in the waiting area and when I went back to him with my straightened hair. Ill never forget how confused he looked. He said what happened to thoes curls of yours. Thinking back on it I think that's why I embrace my curls so much. my pappy still has very curly black hair that touches the bottom of his neck unstreached.

As of recently I thought of the anime charters I loved so much with there long hair. And super long hair. All this time I thought it impossible. Till a long hair page on instagram contacted me wanting me to be posted on there page and hence opened my eyes to the possibilities of the LHC. It was real life repunzels that I found first. And when I saw a girl with hair down to the bottom of her butt and when in front the top/ middle area of her thighs. All I thought was wow that is beautiful. Evebtually finding out that length was between classic and knee. And that became my goal. Then I found another picture of a female on her wedding day her naturally red hair curled and in an amazing hairstyle and it still went to her knees. And I knew if I ever got there I would stop.

Now at TBL and dreaming of mid thigh hair righ now. Next goal Classic.. Terminal or not I think knee will be my stopping point.

Luna Starsetta
April 21st, 2018, 10:42 AM
I am deciding to subscribe to this amazing thread!:o

njrb
April 21st, 2018, 04:13 PM
My goals have been a moving target. Mostly they have been motivated by seeing how long I could stick it out, or what a few more inches would look like, or being able to do a particular style. Currently thinking about cutting a bunch of it in part to be able to experience something new.

ThrowNormanAway
April 21st, 2018, 05:10 PM
Then I found another picture of a female on her wedding day her naturally red hair curled and in an amazing hairstyle and it still went to her knees. And I knew if I ever got there I would stop.

Wow, I'd love to see that picture!! It sounds stunning.

Luna Starsetta
April 21st, 2018, 05:38 PM
https://s19.postimg.cc/7fd7vmtnj/Screenshot_20180208-122244.png (https://postimg.cc/image/7fd7vmtnj/)

Beautiful isn't she? I think her hair is incredible!

The original picture that inspired me is this lovely long haired friend below:

https://s19.postimg.cc/v7r4l088f/IMG_20180121_152739_049.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/v7r4l088f/)

I think they are both beautiful long haired ladies! 😍👸💙

Wendyp
April 21st, 2018, 07:10 PM
I had really long tbl as a kid, but once I hit adulthood I struggled to keep my long hair as healthy as it was. Enter bleach lol. Sone health issues too. Now I have all that addressed and I’m getting my hair back the way it was. Plus I love long hair on most people, long hair of all types is so pretty.

Dark40
April 21st, 2018, 09:00 PM
https://s19.postimg.cc/7fd7vmtnj/Screenshot_20180208-122244.png (https://postimg.cc/image/7fd7vmtnj/)

Beautiful isn't she? I think her hair is incredible!

The original picture that inspired me is this lovely long haired friend below:

https://s19.postimg.cc/v7r4l088f/IMG_20180121_152739_049.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/v7r4l088f/)

I think they are both beautiful long haired ladies! ������

Yes, both of their hair is beautiful! Yours is beautiful too! I love the thickness and waves! :)

Luna Starsetta
April 22nd, 2018, 12:01 AM
Thank you! I'm sure your natural curls are beautiful too Dark!

Dark40
April 22nd, 2018, 11:55 AM
You're welcome! And, thank you! Your hair texture looks similar to mine. Especially, I've had it braided in 2.:) You are so lucky to be at Tailbone right now! Congratulations! :) I'm hoping to be there for the end of the year. i'm at between MBL and WL right now.

Luna Starsetta
April 22nd, 2018, 09:05 PM
Dark40, Best of luck, and happy Growing! You can do it! I have a natural texture of Whurls a combo of waves and ringlets!

MoonRabbit
April 23rd, 2018, 08:00 AM
I always wanted to know what it was like to have long hair. I also was tired of using heat daily.

spirals
April 23rd, 2018, 09:15 AM
I was inspired by people I knew who had princess hair but the real reason was to cover my back fat and maybe draw some attention away from my overall chunkiness. That's the real let's get down to it reason.

Mlarmour
April 23rd, 2018, 05:09 PM
A long time ago, about 16 years ago, I had waist length hair which I cut into a bob. Since then the longest it has been is BSL. I’ve been dealing with a chronic illness for a long time, at the minute I’m doing miles better and now I want my long hair back so I’m growing it back.

Xan
April 23rd, 2018, 05:12 PM
I'm with you on this. :)

Jas
April 24th, 2018, 03:50 AM
The reason for my goal (classic for now) is because I want princess/mermaid/elven hair, let's be honest. Also because I like the way it feels on my back :D

spidergoat
April 24th, 2018, 05:04 AM
I've never taken very good care of myself, hair or body, for a good part of my life. Not out of laziness, but from low self-esteem and depression. Over the past few years, this has started to change, and I feel that, beyond what I do for my body (eat healthily, exercise, sleep enough, etc.), caring for my hair and growing it long is a way to show myself that I am beautiful and that I deserve the same kind of loving attention I want to give to my hair.
Another reason for me is that I'm experiencing some pretty major upheavals in my life at this time, and my hair is kind of a comfort to me. To be able to take it down and feel how soft it is, then bun it up again with a pretty hair stick is such a stress-reliever, for some reason.
I don't know what my length goal is. As of last night, I'm at 28.5", which is about an inch beyond the bottom of my bra strap. I know that's definitely not long enough, as I would love to be able to do more of the buns that I see on youtube, and those seem to require waist length hair for the most part. I don't think that even waist length is quite long enough for my own preferences, though. I guess I'll just have to see how my genetics are, but I'm hoping for at least waist, and preferably hip, and then who knows?

peachyleshy
April 24th, 2018, 06:55 AM
I'm kinda going back and forth between Tailbone and Classic. It's kind of a wait and see thing. I am close to bcl, so surely I can get to TBL. Can I get to classic? Would that be too long for me to manage? I do want to have uniquely long hair. I think TBL would still look unique.

Pumpkin3826
April 24th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Sarah Nagel from Holistic Habits on youtube is my inspiration for my goal. :happydance: I discovered her years ago when I had a chin length inverted bob. Her hair is long and so thick. We have very similar hair colors so I saw her as a perfect inspiration. Her hair at the longest I would say was maybe fingertip length, then she trimmed it and just recently got blunt bangs. When her hair was all one length and so long it just looked to effortlessly beautiful. I will get there one day!

Zombee
April 25th, 2018, 10:46 AM
My reason for wanting to grow my hair long is that I've never been happy with my hair and I feel that long, healthy hair will give me the confidence I've never had. I can't remember ever being happy with my hair, I've dyed, bleached and cut it since I was 12 and it's always been a mess. This may sound cheesey but growing out my bleached hair (attempts at changing and fixing my appearance) and eventually having long, natural hair symbolizes self-acceptance for me. And I know I'll be happier for it. My ultimate goal is waist length, for now anyway. :)

elfynity
April 25th, 2018, 12:37 PM
I want long hair because I honestly truly believe that inside I am a long haired person. Does that makes sense?! Unfortunately I have never been able to grow my hair because I only learnt recently about how modern methods actually damage our hair. when I eventually have long hair (at least classic) I will love how it feel on my shoulders, and being able to run my hands down it forever, as well as the heaviness of it when you move it, and it will be totally rad to have a nice chuncky bun on top of my head!

cjk
April 26th, 2018, 10:49 AM
The true answer is this. BECAUSE I CAN.

I can dance around it, offer rationalizations, and so forth. But that really is the honest answer.

nycelle
April 26th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Because I like long hair.

fhairyqueen
April 26th, 2018, 01:30 PM
This is THE most beautiful reason to grow your hair EVER

The reason I chose Classic for my goal was because my maternal grandmother had classic length hair and my father always used to tell me how beautiful it was. He would sit and watch her brush it when he was a little boy. So I want to honour her by growing my hair like hers and it seems that I have the genetics to be able to do that.

Plus I think it is romantic and in a way, it is a link between myself and all the long haired ladies right throughout history, it's like I am continuing on with the tradition of long hair.

Reyn127
April 26th, 2018, 02:49 PM
My solid goal is about knee length, although I haven’t updated the numbers for that on my profile here yet. I originally wanted to just reach classic, but I’m really close to reaching that goal now, and it just doesn’t feel like enough. I think it’s because I discovered the LHC less than two years ago, but I’ve been growing my hair for over 7 years, so after this little time (relatively), classic doesn’t feel like a real achievement. I think knee will feel like a much bigger milestone, but it’s also (I think) not too long to realistically handle. But we’ll see.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 26th, 2018, 03:49 PM
This is THE most beautiful reason to grow your hair EVER

Thank you! :) Of course my goal has changed, but the rest still applies...

CopperButterfly
April 26th, 2018, 04:39 PM
My current goal is waist. I had long hair when I was a teen, varying from waist to hip, but I had no idea what to do with it. I'd just cut off around 6 inches one a year to get rid of damaged ends, and I'd wear it loose a lot, or ponytails, English braids and half ups.

Having recently discovered this place, and seeing so many amazing hair styles and buns that can only be done with long hair, I want to grow it to experience long hair with more knowledge, and use all these cool hair styles and buns. If I'm enjoying my hair at waist, I may keep going, but if it feels burdensome instead of fun, I'll likely go back.

Anyway, right now I'm enjoying the look of my hair getting longer and hope to reach bsl by end of the year.

LadyArwen
May 23rd, 2018, 05:39 PM
If you would like to, please share with us the reason you want to get to your goal length!

My goal length used to be to cover my chest...and then it kept growing. I wanted to walk down the aisle with hair that long, and thought it would be so romantic for my husband to see me in my wedding dress with long hair. Well I didn't get married (yet) and kept growing growing growing. The princess look has always been appealing to me, so now I want terminal if I can make it :)

Or if you like your length, what motivates you to stay there?

I like my length but I am open to letting it grow or maintain to thicken up, let it do its thing really

Were you inspired by a character or real live person?

I was inspired by the band parousia...here is a link to them here: https://www.parousiaband.com/gallery

Do you want to see your hair's potential?

Sure do...I was not as gentle with it as I should have been in the past with brushing and heat styling. Have been kinder to it for two years now.

Do you find it the most visually pleasing?

Yes, my natural hair actually looks best on me. The more I make it do unnatural things, the more forced I look. I used to think longer hair would make me look strange, but it actually fits my personality far better than shorter flipped hair with hi lights. I look more flow and relaxed and feel that way too.

Queenofpigeons
May 24th, 2018, 12:04 AM
My eventual goal is probably somewhere between hip and classic, but my first goal is to get to waist and maintain until it’s all one length, with no more layers. I chose waist because that’s firmly in the “long” category, but I’ll be able to get rid of the layers sooner rather than later.

lakhesis
May 24th, 2018, 02:30 AM
My goal is waist right now, because before I ruined my hair it was that long, so I know it should be possible. When I used to wear extensions, they were close to hip length, so if my ends will look okay at waist, I will try for hip too :)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 24th, 2018, 02:46 AM

My first LHC goal was waist before I decided to go for Classic.

Once I reached Classic (such a lovely length) I wondered if I would be able to reach the Knee milestone (also I heard that Laura Ingalls of Little House on the Prairie fame had knee length hair in real life, so, being a fan of hers I wanted to see if i could achieve that, too). Also, I had been admiring it on Seeshami for so many years.... I never thought I would be able to reach knee.

Now, out of pure curiosity as to how long my hair might grow if I let it, I plan on attempting ankle length and hope I will be able to make it before old age strikes. Plus I think ankle length hair is stunningly beautiful and eye-catching and I will be like those Victorian ladies with looong hair in those old photographs. All going well I hope to reach it at around the end of 2020...it's not that long to wait and time flies by so quickly... :D

Astrid Carlisle
May 24th, 2018, 03:04 AM
My goal is WL. But I wouldn't mind growing to HL or fingertip length. I feel that the longer my hair is, the more 'fairytale' and feminine I will feel. And I like the feeling of the weight of the hair on the back, when it touches my hands from behind, and 'flips' around when you walk. I always liked long hair, but never managed to "stick" with growing it out. One of my inspirations is Ruslana Korshunova, a model from my mother country that passed away in 2009. She has always been my favourite and she had incredible long hair.
Pictures of her:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0d/54/db/0d54db2e386e0b5b5ef4ed99503cd415.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/90/bf/f090bfb912d1ab9f1e19297ee029dd91.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/fb/2d/d7fb2dda39b8b169dcd558be59e37c87.jpg
And some other ladies with long hair + Galadriel.

In general I always found long hair super feminine and at the same time mysterious and magical. Fan of rapunzel, and when I was little, I was obsessed with finding a Barbie doll with very long hair. Sad story, when I was 5, my grandpa bought me a pretty Angel barbie with flappy wings (usual medium hair). I chose it. And as we were leaving the store, I saw a 'rapunzel' barbie with very long hair that I didn't see before... Of course I couldnt ask for a different doll or complain. I felt very crap. So crap, that this incident has stuck in my memory. I never ended up having a doll with very long hair, and it has always been my wish when I was little.

I don't see anyone with long hair around me, and I just really want long hair and to feel that femininity/ fairy tale:inlove:

Starchild494
May 24th, 2018, 09:31 AM
I love hair! Short hair long hair... All colors too! For me, I wanted to feel more feminine. I want to be able to do a plethora of updos. Plus I really want to see what my silver hair looks long!

pili
May 24th, 2018, 11:20 AM
I have dreamed of super long hair all my life. I've managed to get it to waist length a few times, but I never knew how to handle it. So off it came in ill-conceived fits of frustration. Finally, after years of lurking here, I decided to give it a go. I want to hit 50 with the hair of my dreams.

Long hair is so incredibly feminine. To me there is a power there, in having long, crazy, witchy hair. That is not to say femininity or femaleness is defined by hair. But I feel right in my skin when my hair is long. Hair is an expression of self, whether you wear it long or short. That expression is defined by the individual. Someone can feel ultra feminine with a pixie cut, just as much as I can with my long hair.

But this is my expression of me. I want super long hair. LHC-itis has definitely played a part is what I consider long and my goal, but I cannot wait to hit my first goal of TBL. It will be the longest my hair has ever been and it will be a cause for celebration.

LadyArwen
May 24th, 2018, 11:36 AM
But I feel right in my skin when my hair is long.

But this is my expression of me. I want super long hair. LHC-itis has definitely played a part is what I consider long and my goal, but I cannot wait to hit my first goal of TBL. It will be the longest my hair has ever been and it will be a cause for celebration.

You go girl! I know how you feel. I considered it a while, but it was so uncommon where I am from to have super long hair. What is common is shorter lengths with hi lights, or very professional styles. I thought it would feel unnatural having such long hair, but the fact that it is slow...it becomes a work of art. I had long hair when I was younger (3rd through 7th grade), then cut it to fit in with the popular girls, but I couldn't afford hi lights. Later I used sun in to lighten my hair, thinking it would make me popular lol

Over time I have just become more comfortable and relaxed into being myself...and it feels so much better. Love your pretty curls btw!

Guitargod
May 24th, 2018, 12:19 PM
This might sound a bit narcissistic and it probably is:) But I kinda enjoy it if people are doing double takes when they think I'm not looking haha:)

EdG
May 24th, 2018, 12:27 PM
This might sound a bit narcissistic and it probably is:) But I kinda enjoy it if people are doing double takes when they think I'm not looking haha:)Dianyla famously described this effect as leaving thudpiles in one's wake. :thudpile:
Ed

pili
May 24th, 2018, 12:28 PM
You go girl! I know how you feel. I considered it a while, but it was so uncommon where I am from to have super long hair. What is common is shorter lengths with hi lights, or very professional styles. I thought it would feel unnatural having such long hair, but the fact that it is slow...it becomes a work of art. I had long hair when I was younger (3rd through 7th grade), then cut it to fit in with the popular girls, but I couldn't afford hi lights. Later I used sun in to lighten my hair, thinking it would make me popular lol

Over time I have just become more comfortable and relaxed into being myself...and it feels so much better. Love your pretty curls btw!

Thanks. :blossom:

Guitargod
May 24th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Dianyla famously described this effect as leaving thudpiles in one's wake. :thudpile:
Ed

That sounds reasonable :)

siuil
November 29th, 2022, 06:50 PM
I've dreamed of TBL hair since I was 10 years old. So, I want to make little me's dream a reality.

BVU
November 29th, 2022, 07:06 PM
Originally it was term out of curiosity but now I'm aiming to ankle or floor length as term predictions are crazy

ArienEllariel
November 29th, 2022, 07:23 PM
I've basically always been told my hair was "unmanageable"/messy/not as pretty as others in the family just as it was. And because of that, it was kept short as a kid. So I've been on a mission to grow it as long as it will grow and enjoy the process since it's something I never had before.
I've gotten to waist length once in adulthood but then had a rough life situation that resulted in my cutting it back because I could barely take care of myself. And then wanting to stop henna, so chop again, tried going lighter blonde, decided it wasn't for me and here we are.

Dark40
November 29th, 2022, 08:33 PM
The reason why I've chosen ankle length is because an old church female friend of mine as a young girl had ankle length both brown and bright red hair just flowing, and every week as I would see her with her hanging flowing ankle length hair she had always inspired me to grow mine that long! And, once I reach that goal I am going to stay there for the rest of my life. I am not planning on cutting it. Now, to keep it from dragging the floor I will definitely trim a couple of inches off, and to also keep my hemline looking neat and sharp.

SeppV
November 30th, 2022, 01:23 AM
I think very long hair is feminine and beautiful, which is the reason I want FTL hair. I just think FTL is a beautiful lenght. I asked my husband how long is the longest he'd want me to go, and he prefered stopping at that lenght. If he hadn't, I might have reached for even longer. But on the other hand, I like to be able to trim my hair and keep a nice hemline once (if!!!) I reach my goal... :-)

Bri-Chan
November 30th, 2022, 02:48 AM
Longer becomes impractical.

sipnsun
November 30th, 2022, 12:17 PM
I always wanted long hair as a child but my mom wouldn't let me grow it because she said my hair was too thin to look good long. It took me many years to get out of that mindset and I finally started letting it grow in my 30's. Waist was my original goal because I thought of that as super long hair which isn't surprising never having hair past my shoulder blades. Once I reached waist length, it didn't feel long so I decided on TBL as my goal. It's finally feeling kind of long at hip so I'll reevaluate when I reach my goal and decide if I'll keep growing.

angel-baby
November 30th, 2022, 12:28 PM
Pure aesthetics, with a side order of LHC-induced length mania. I picked hip at first, because it didn't seem unreasonable to get there even with bleached hair (roots only) as long as I took good care of it. Hip length hair with blunt ends has always looked so pretty to me. Then it kind of changed to Classic again, bc I've always thought that length is gorgeous and it's universally flattering on almost everyone. Longer than that would probably be too much for me to deal with, but I'll be really happy if I finally make it to Classic! Longest I've ever had is tailbone.

mochichichi
November 30th, 2022, 01:22 PM
I really want to see how long I can get it! My original goal was waist, but when I discovered all the lovely people here with longer hair I thought "why stop there?" By the time I was brushing waist, I had changed my goal to classic, and now that I'm approaching tailbone I want at least knee. I know I'll just keep thinking "that's not as long as I expected it to be" so I'm just going to keep going until I decide I don't like it anymore.

I'm also not particularly tall, so my body markers are a little closer together than most.

Bat
November 30th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Hip initially because that looked 'long' to me
Since LHC land it fluctuates between mid thigh to Knee for aesthetic and sephiroth reasons 🤣

LongLocke
November 30th, 2022, 03:38 PM
Since LHC land it fluctuates between mid thigh to Knee for aesthetic and sephiroth reasons ��

*Latin choir intensifies*

momof3mary
November 30th, 2022, 05:14 PM
I feel like my reason is because I need to have long hair once more before I die. I'm absolutely not planning to die soon, but as I can't control fate I figure I can grow while I'm still on this planet at any rate. Hopefully I'll live a few more decades, I'd like to see my 104th birthday and die a crone with long hair :cool:

Bat
December 1st, 2022, 03:32 AM
*Latin choir intensifies*

Rofl one winged angel theme plays, but goth

LongLocke
December 1st, 2022, 05:00 AM
Rofl one winged angel theme plays, but goth

12 more days and we get Crisis Core Reunion, where Sephiroth canonically says he uses a bottle of shampoo and a bottle of conditioner on every wash day

LongLocke
December 1st, 2022, 05:05 AM
And the reason for my goal: originally i figured I’d stop at shoulder. But then I realized that shoulder length didn’t feel long at all, and I started taking inspiration from some truly long haired people and made the executive decision to find my terminal length. And I keep hoping that terminal isn’t too short on me

Lady Stardust
December 1st, 2022, 06:33 AM
I’m not sure what my goal length is, but I might know it when I see it :) Something that suits my figure, hopefully, where my hair doesn’t stick out at a tangent at the back (as it currently does at not quite MBL).

tuanyiji
December 1st, 2022, 09:02 AM
And the reason for my goal: originally i figured I’d stop at shoulder. But then I realized that shoulder length didn’t feel long at all, and I started taking inspiration from some truly long haired people and made the executive decision to find my terminal length. And I keep hoping that terminal isn’t too short on me

Me too, I'm aiming for terminal length, because I want to see where my genes would take me. I might maintain the hemline when I hit my knee (spring-summer of 2024) for thicker ends, but hopefully, I will go beyond the floor one day.

Joyful Mystery
December 1st, 2022, 09:41 AM
Me too, I'm aiming for terminal length, because I want to see where my genes would take me. I might maintain the hemline when I hit my knee (spring-summer of 2024) for thicker ends, but hopefully, I will go beyond the floor one day.

Same here. I’m closing in on waist and my hemline is still thick and pretty blunt from my last trim nearly two years ago. I’m unsure if I’ll stop and maintain for whatever reason at some point. We’ll see how it looks as it gets longer.

Bat
December 1st, 2022, 12:20 PM
12 more days and we get Crisis Core Reunion, where Sephiroth canonically says he uses a bottle of shampoo and a bottle of conditioner on every wash day

Haha he does and it's rose scented I believe or rose vanilla something like that

JasminxCat
December 2nd, 2022, 12:26 AM
I find it the most visually pleasing on myself. Longer lengths make me feel more confident in my appearence. Maybe it's because I grew up with short-medium length hair and had very low self esteem most of the time. So it's refreshing for me, makes me feel different and better from my old self and ways

fairy_hair
December 2nd, 2022, 09:18 AM
It's the most classic beauty, like Venus or like an angel, to have very long healthy hair <3 I can't wait to grow it long again, I really miss it being so long that it became its own entity. I think super long, healthy hair is the most beautiful feature or possession a woman could have. Plus it doesn't cost anything more than food and supplements for your own good health! It's also super satisfying to twirl into a bun and to let loose like an ethereal being.

Duroniel
December 2nd, 2022, 10:40 AM
My first goal is classic, just because that's the length I had when I cut off the very damaged ends a few years ago and ended up at waist. I loved classic and should reasonably be able to get even longer hair now that I take better care of it. After that I guess I'm going for terminal, just because I'm curious and because I love being able to have really long hair!

Abacus
December 2nd, 2022, 04:33 PM
It sounds odd, but ever since I was a kid, if I closed my eyes and thought about myself, I saw suuuper long hair in my mental self-image, something between knee and floor length. Even though I kept my hair short for a long time even after I had control over the length, that was still always in the back of my head.

This is so interesting, because when I read this I realized that I was the opposite -- even as a child with long hair, I imagined myself with short hair, and when I had short hair I was kind of in my "hot phase" or whatever. Like I got a lot of positive feedback about how I looked with short hair. And it has been an intense struggle to grow out my hair when I feel like I was at my "best" looking (according to the world) when I had very short hair. There's a lot about my gender identity wrapped up in that experience, but I don't feel like getting into it at the moment.

So what the heck is going on with me?! Why do I want to grow out my hair so badly? Why do I want to grow it to knee length specifically? I wonder about it all the time because it is such a strong drive, and I'm enjoying this journey so much.

I think part of it is I love touching my hair, I love how it feels, I love feeling it become healthier and healthier and softer and fluffier. It's a long-term exercise in self-care and self-love. My hair is my friend and my familiar in a way. I think also I'm attracted to extremes -- extremely short hair and extremely long hair. I love aesthetics that go hard in one direction or another.

And of course, if I'm honest, these two: https://pin.it/PSAcR1u

vampyyri
December 3rd, 2022, 04:51 AM
I'm not entirely sure what my end goal is this time around, but my first soft goal is WL because that's where I initially started when I joined LHC. I grew to FTL in the end, but ended up trimming back up to CL. I wouldn't mind getting there again, but I'm going to take it one mile marker at a time.

My original inspiration for growing my hair longer is my older & only sister who always had BCL/TBL hair as long as I could remember. Her hair is different from mine (1a/F), and I always brushed mine straight to emulate her hair. This time around I'm not fighting with my natural texture anymore and taking proper care of it... so who knows, maybe I'll like it better to have both the texture and the length this time!

Arcticfoxes
December 4th, 2022, 01:11 PM
It's something I've never done. I've never had hair past APL, not even as a kid. Always chin-shoulder length with the rare APL length.

I've done everything else under the sun to my hair, it feels like, except actually just growing my natural hair long. I've finally found a good shampoo and conditioner I like, and although I still have bleached hair, it's in pretty good condition. This seems like a good time to try.

cherrymerry
December 4th, 2022, 02:32 PM
I've always wanted to grow really long hair but because I am impulsive I never really stuck with it. Back in 2019 I almost had waist length hair which took me 5 years to grow out but I cut it short because it was thinning and I didn't know how to really take care of it. Then I dyed it red in 2020 after 7 years of virgin hair :( In hindsight, long hair is easier to deal with than short.

Now I just want to grow my hair long, as long as it can before my 30th birthday. It's a challenge in patience!

Arcticfoxes
December 4th, 2022, 03:58 PM
I relate, cherrymerry! I am also so impulsive. And also wanna see how long I can get my hair before I'm 30. :D

Pouncequick
December 4th, 2022, 06:11 PM
I always preferred long hair. I started from waist and I had read several stories about woman with hair "flowing past their hips" which I just thought sounded so pretty and attractive. I started with a goal of classic to hit that magical length and then it just felt shorter than I expected. Now I'm shooting for knee out of desire to be able to have a stable coronet and because it just feels interesting when I tilt my hair back and it brushes my knees. I don't know if I will go any further. My hair tangles so easily that I might get lost in one giant rat's nest if I do. But we'll see how knee treats me. Classic is so far my favorite length I've hit and mid thigh/tailbone tie for second so I think I'll be in the extra long range for the rest of my life if possible.

KwaveT
December 5th, 2022, 02:13 PM
I have wanted waist length hair since I started growing it in 2011. I think long hair is more feminine to me. I had short hair all my life to that point. I see no reason to ever have short hair. I probably associate it with my transition. It is a part of my identity and who I am.

0xalis
December 6th, 2022, 12:52 PM
I used to want somewhere classic - knee length because that's my favorite on other people.

Now I just want to be at a length that is manageable, comfortable, and looks good on me. That's why my current goal listed is "happy".
I think the longest I can have my hair is APL and after that I always seem to chop it all off. Maybe someday in the future I will surpass that length but it's long off.
I had waist+ length as a child, but that was over 15 years ago now.

I'm sorta shooting for a bob with an undercut currently, but taking it very slow. Any day I could decide to shave all of it off again without a care in the world.
(Okay I guess I care a bit, I don't like the way I look with hair shorter than a bob, but comfort is far more important to me.)

A lot of this has to do with my daughter. She's currently 1 year + 1 month (13 months) old. I also have sensory issues from being on the autism spectrum.
I'd gotten my hair to past APL but then I shaved it all off when she was 4 months old because I just couldn't handle it anymore.
The hormones had my hair getting greasy every other day and falling out like mad. She was also an extremely difficult newborn which did not help matters.

I might not be able to grow past my current pixie until she stops being a toddler though, she pulls on other mom's* hair violently when she's angry and I couldn't handle that. She already scratches and hits me, hair pulling is a huge Nope for me.
(*we're both girls, my partner is trans, we're both bio parents.)

0xalis
December 6th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Since LHC land it fluctuates between mid thigh to Knee for aesthetic and sephiroth reasons ��

I love and relate to this

Happymaman
December 6th, 2022, 03:25 PM
Hair long enough to be out of the ordinary is also my way of showing that I can keep a commitment and put in hard work without instant gratification.

I definitely feel this!

MsElizaRose
December 6th, 2022, 04:47 PM
My goal is knee, just because that'll be the longest it's ever been if I get there. My previous record was mid-thigh.

Good luck with your goals everyone!

Happymaman
December 7th, 2022, 08:19 AM
My goal is to grow my hair for 10 years.
1. I want to do something that's essentially just for me. Consistency over time. Caring for my hair will be self-care after years of just needing my routine to be the simplest possible (spending 2 minutes on my hair a day or less).
2. My mom started greying in her mid-40s. I'm 30 years old now. I will embrace greys as they come, but I figure this will be my last full decade without greys provided I'm not super stressed. So why not embrace my natural tawny color before I begin to say goodbye to it.
3. My youngest kid is now past the hair-pulling phase and all of my children can now be expected to give me a little space in the morning and evenings, so this is the right time for me to start growing.
4. My children and their gorgeous hair have given me inspiration to care for myself, and I look forward to the challenge of making a discipline for myself.
5. I love long hair on others and I can't wait to do intricate styles with buns and braids.