PDA

View Full Version : Doing a six month stretch (rather nervous)

AutobotsAttack
November 27th, 2015, 10:48 PM
For starters, the term "stretching", is widely used by relaxed haired ladies, that refers to prolonging or "stretching" the amount of time between relaxer applications. Usually I relax my hair every two and a half months (just the new growth), not the length because that causes over processing. I usually have about two and a half inches of hair to relax (sometimes nearing 2 and 3/4 inches if I've been keeping up with my daily scalp massages). In most cases many women relax every 4-6 weeks, which is waaaay to often, so I try to make sure I never relax any sooner than two or three months.

Now i used to be natural for about four-five consecutive years, so you'd think I would know what I'm doing, but my mom would help me out a lot in caring for my hair (super young teenage years), and more often than not she would just completely take over. But ever since I began caring for my own hair when I was about 14-15 years old, I started getting relaxers because my natural hair was extremely difficult to manage dispite having read extensive care tips and manuals to gain knowledge. I'm not ignorant about natural hair care at all, and I loved caring for my natural curls and everything....I struggled a whole lot all of the time. Being relaxed is very easy for me and I know my hair very well.
And I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my natural hair

However, I'm wanting to give my hair a six month break because relaxers are chemical processes that can stress the hair, just like any other chemical hair service. I have been noticing a few more splits at my ends here and there so I figured I would let my hair rest for the next six months.

heres where I'm kind of wavering: I've never stretched for more than three months since beginning to care for my own hair, I will be dealing with two different hair textures, how can I combat my new growth from getting dry?, the longer my new growth gets, will I have to change products or methods? I've only ever been able to go for three months because after that my new growth gets dry and begins to cause my longer lengths to tangle up and get knotted together.

I know now ill need to do these four things as the months go by:
1. Keep tangles at bay
2. Increase moisture in hair
3. Manipulate the hair at the very minimal amount possible
4. Keep Protecting ends

These are the few main things I can think of, but am I missing anything else?
do you guys think this is a good approach? I've never done this before by myself without any help, and I've been able to care for two different hair textures when my new growth comes in, but not at more than 2 and half inches at a time. I get an inch of new growth every month round about, so at 6 months I will have six inches of rather fluffy hair and then straight hair the rest of the way down.

So I'd like any thoughts or opinions you guys have and a vote from you guys on whether or not I should do this:)

and just to give you guys a picture of my hair, it's rather fine but I have a lot of it. It's extremely soft, something equivalent to the feel of plush, it's a darkish sandy brown, it's protein sensitive, and I tend to get dandruff very very easily so I oil my scalp as needed. My natural curl pattern is like stretchy loose coils (think of like a slinky when you hold it at one end and drop the bottom and watch it stretch), my relaxed hair is just a soft wave pattern.

Soooo what do you guys think?

lapushka
November 28th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Soooo what do you guys think?

Dealing with 2 textures is *hard*! It's a whole different beast. Try looking at this YT'ers journey:
https://www.youtube.com/user/youngebz07

AutobotsAttack
November 28th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Ohh okay...thanks :)

MsPharaohMoan
November 28th, 2015, 12:25 PM
From what you've described your hair sounds lovely. I do wonder though whether the chemical that relaxes your hair gets ever so slightly overlapped on the previously relaxed hair? I don't know too much about relaxing but it seems like if you stretched then you would have less of those lines of overlap on your hair which would ultimately be a good idea. Taking care of two kinds of hair does sound intimidating, but I'm sure with patience and observation you'll be able to learn what works for you :) Wishing you the best in your journey! :flower:

chen bao jun
November 28th, 2015, 08:18 PM
When I relaxed I never did it sooner than six months, quite often stretched to nine or ten months. this was in the days before they called it
stretching. Honestly, the only problem I ever had with it was the hairdresser would get mad at me and sometimes try to claim that I now had 'virgin hair' again. i always figured the 'come every 6 weeks' thing was to make them more money--do the math as to how much more they would make.

My hair never fell out. I honestly think that stretching is only a problem if you are one of those people who like their hair to look bone straight. It won't. I would suggest washing in braids and wearing your hair up a lot. I'd fingercomb definitely rather than comb or brush. I don't think you need to worry too much about the two textures needing different products, just don't use anything harsh on ANY of it. Honestly, six months worth of roots (virgin hair) isn't going to need any special products for natural hair, there won't be enough of it to make a difference and it won't have the texture you had a natural because at BSL the rest of the hair will be dragging it down, or affecting it somehow, i can't explain. But I know that from my own experience stretching and also from transitioning from a perm to natural without a haircut (a process that took 2 to 3 years). Till the relaxed hair was completely gone, my hair did not show its true texture.

I wouldn't stress too much about this. Just pay attention (fingercombing helps a lot with this) and you will notice if your hair starts breaking (which isn't likely at all). What is likely is that you won't like the way it looks so much out and down by the end of the stretch. It won't have the straightness of relaxed hair but it won't have your natural texture either, It will be super puffy--but should look fine up.

Hope this helps.

Note; my hair isn't fine, over on the type 4 thread where I have seen you you may find 'fine' ladies to further help you out.

luxurioushair
November 29th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I don't know anything about relaxed hair care, but why not have a look at how Jenn did it (http://www.justgrowalready.com/). This lady is an expert at growing her hair. She had successfully grown out her hair while relaxed, and then transitioned so that now she has 100% virgin hair.

AutobotsAttack
November 29th, 2015, 09:00 PM
From what you've described your hair sounds lovely. I do wonder though whether the chemical that relaxes your hair gets ever so slightly overlapped on the previously relaxed hair? I don't know too much about relaxing but it seems like if you stretched then you would have less of those lines of overlap on your hair which would ultimately be a good idea. Taking care of two kinds of hair does sound intimidating, but I'm sure with patience and observation you'll be able to learn what works for you :) Wishing you the best in your journey! :flower:

Yea overlapping is always possible and I'm not going to lie and say I've never done it because I have and I'm rather terrible at precision. Which is why I'm wanting to stretch for longer periods. And thank you for your kind words :) and yea I think the only way I can figure out how this is gonna go is by patience and taking it one day at a time.

AutobotsAttack
November 29th, 2015, 09:04 PM
When I relaxed I never did it sooner than six months, quite often stretched to nine or ten months. this was in the days before they called it
stretching. Honestly, the only problem I ever had with it was the hairdresser would get mad at me and sometimes try to claim that I now had 'virgin hair' again. i always figured the 'come every 6 weeks' thing was to make them more money--do the math as to how much more they would make.

My hair never fell out. I honestly think that stretching is only a problem if you are one of those people who like their hair to look bone straight. It won't. I would suggest washing in braids and wearing your hair up a lot. I'd fingercomb definitely rather than comb or brush. I don't think you need to worry too much about the two textures needing different products, just don't use anything harsh on ANY of it. Honestly, six months worth of roots (virgin hair) isn't going to need any special products for natural hair, there won't be enough of it to make a difference and it won't have the texture you had a natural because at BSL the rest of the hair will be dragging it down, or affecting it somehow, i can't explain. But I know that from my own experience stretching and also from transitioning from a perm to natural without a haircut (a process that took 2 to 3 years). Till the relaxed hair was completely gone, my hair did not show its true texture.

I wouldn't stress too much about this. Just pay attention (fingercombing helps a lot with this) and you will notice if your hair starts breaking (which isn't likely at all). What is likely is that you won't like the way it looks so much out and down by the end of the stretch. It won't have the straightness of relaxed hair but it won't have your natural texture either, It will be super puffy--but should look fine up.

Hope this helps.

Note; my hair isn't fine, over on the type 4 thread where I have seen you you may find 'fine' ladies to further help you out.

Well thank you Chen :) and I've never had a problem with my hair not eve being bone straight, and most of the time when my new growth comes in I just rock a braid out or twist out, so that's probably gonna be my go to style. After a while I'm mainly gonna only stretch to six months or even more. Nothing before that. So far I've made it to three months so I'm just gonna go higher until I get to maybe nine or ten months. And okay, so I can mainly just keep my products I already have. And I'll be sure to finger detangle a lot more than I already do. And up just up my protective styling more too :)

Thanks for the help :)

chen bao jun
November 30th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Good luck. YOur hair does sound lovely.