PDA

View Full Version : Can coconut oil revive split ends?

anonymous_owl
November 27th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Since coconut oil is the oh so magical of things in this world (mostly lol), I was wondering if it can revive split ends? I need then trimmed badly, but I'm scared to do the ponytail technique on myself, and I'm too busy to go into my normal hair salon. Can is revive split ends?

Nique1202
November 27th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Coconut oil can't do anything but temporarily stick the splits together, and even that's not very likely since it's just an oil and has nothing sticky or gluey about it. If the split part hooks on something the wrong way as it moves around, even another hair, then it can open back up and split the hair further. You're better off using a product with silicones than coconut oil, but they're only slightly more effective than just oiling for hair that's already split. There's no fix for split ends except to trim them out.

If you're too busy to go to the salon and afraid of the ponytail technique, look up creaclip. It's very straightforward to use, I use a mini version to trim my fringe, and one clip and a decent pair of hair shears will last you for years.

Anje
November 27th, 2015, 05:42 PM
What do you mean, "revive split ends"?

No, coconut oil can't magically repair hairs to an unsplit condition. Once the hair has split, it's split.

However, it is pretty nice stuff on hair, has been demonstrated to reduce loss of protein when applied before shampooing, and many people find it makes their hair feel better even after it has been washed off. It's definitely something you might want to try (perhaps following a deep conditioning) to help make ragged ends feel better and be more manageable.

bunneh.
November 28th, 2015, 04:51 AM
Nothing can seal split ends, some things just make them appear less obvious but underneath, the hair is still split. The only thing you can do in order to not have a split end anymore is to cut it, and before getting one make sure you treat your hair nicely, detangle hair gently, wear protective hairstyles, moisturize hair, not use heat tools on it or use chemical dyes etc.

lapushka
November 28th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Oils can't "seal" splits, serums possibly can for once after washing (when you seal the ends on damp hair) - but that is a one-time thing and can't repair it forever. Nothing can! Oils are weaker than serums in that regard! And I somehow doubt they do a good job at it. Serums are a little more "sticky" due to their consistency and better suited towards patching a split up *once*. It is still better to just take a pair of hair shears and trim the hair above the split. Moisturizing your hair is key in helping prevent splits. So I'd do a S&D session and do a good deep treatment after, with some oil or serum on damp hair.

alimarie
November 28th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Coconut oil can't do anything but temporarily stick the splits together, and even that's not very likely since it's just an oil and has nothing sticky or gluey about it. If the split part hooks on something the wrong way as it moves around, even another hair, then it can open back up and split the hair further. You're better off using a product with silicones than coconut oil, but they're only slightly more effective than just oiling for hair that's already split. There's no fix for split ends except to trim them out.

If you're too busy to go to the salon and afraid of the ponytail technique, look up creaclip. It's very straightforward to use, I use a mini version to trim my fringe, and one clip and a decent pair of hair shears will last you for years.

I agree, I have had the creaclip for the past year and my dh trims my hair... I also use a tool called the "split ender" not sure if they sell it anymore, but I use it like every 6 weeks... I will attach a link if it works...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=creaclip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcVpmbaYIkM

Aubren
November 28th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Nope nothing fixes split ends, they just need to be cut off.

lapushka
November 29th, 2015, 05:07 AM
[/B]

I agree, I have had the creaclip for the past year and my dh trims my hair... I also use a tool called the "split ender" not sure if they sell it anymore, but I use it like every 6 weeks... I will attach a link if it works...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=creaclip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcVpmbaYIkM

A split ender is a torture tool (piece of rubbish actually to put it bluntly). It will get your healthy ends as well. It's not unlike a regular trim in that sense, as it gets *every* hair just a tad bit shorter. It can't distinguish between a healthy end and a split one; and if your splits are higher up the hair shaft, it will not get those.

truepeacenik
November 29th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Coconut will moisturizer and protect above the existing split.
If you need a week or so of leeway,go with a silicone serum. But make that appointment, if you are comfortable with stylists. Many here are not. Some actually are stylists. I've tried to get them to go on a private client tour.
Micro trimming yourself is an option. That's a millimeter at a time, so you cannot mangle it too badly.

ChloeDharma
November 29th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I don't seem to get splits anymore for some reason but when I was growing out chemical damage I got lots of them. I kept my hair oiled almost all of the time and could do an S&D session on oiled hair so no I don't think coconut oil even temporarily seals splits back together. That said, if your hair likes it then I think regular use of it will help to prevent them developing in the first place, or slow them down at least.
I would advise either making time to go to get a trim or at least doing some S&D sessions to remove them. If you get brave you could try self trimming but I've never done this myself without needing my hemline evening up but others do it with great success.

Daydreamer.
January 9th, 2016, 02:54 AM
I don't think anything can effectively repair split ends. You should trim them, then use Coconut Oil to keep them healthy.

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 09:28 AM
The best thing to do is to just cut the split ends off every 6-8 weeks. But coconut oil will help keep hair from splitting, because it adds moisture.