PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Hair Styling

Bunnehlvr22
November 25th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Today I got brave and tried two half up dos. One was a pull through French braid and the other was one that was sort of like a pull through braid but done in ponytails. As it's been mentioned before, I suck at styling my hair so they didn't look that great. I was so frustrated I was tempted to whack all my hair off then and there. But when I took the half-dos down I noticed my scalp was tender the rest of the day. Now I do have a sensitive scalp. Does it sound like my scalp needs to just get used to it being somewhere other than hanging down?

I tried those plastic goody elastic bands and ended up with a good portion of my hair on the floor. Is it normal for hair to get caught in elastics and get pulled out?

I so suck at styling my hair, did I mention that?

hennalonghair
November 25th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Just don't use elastics. They aren't good for your hair. You'd be better off using hair forks, hair sticks, clips, etc.
Theres all kinds of enablers here who can tell you all about the wonderful world of hair toys. :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Yes, if your hair is not used to being up, your follicles will hurt. You have to get them used to it little by little, a little longer each day.

Seventy7
November 26th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Not all elastics are gentle to your hair, that could be the cause of your sheds. How did you take the elastics out? You shouldn't pull them out at once, just unwind them carefully, exactly like you put them in, but the other way around.

But also, if you're used to having your hair down, you might not know how much you shed during the day. The sheds will just float away.
If you contain your hair in a braid, sheds will stay in there until you take it down. It might seem like more than you're used to.

Your scalp might need some adjusting, and you can play around with the tension of your updo. Less tension might be easier on the scalp.

Lastly, styling hair takes practice! Your fingers need to build muscle memory before getting it right every time. Be gentle on yourself and keep trying. I bet no one here got something nice on the first try. I know I didn't.

lapushka
November 26th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Today I got brave and tried two half up dos. One was a pull through French braid and the other was one that was sort of like a pull through braid but done in ponytails. As it's been mentioned before, I suck at styling my hair so they didn't look that great. I was so frustrated I was tempted to whack all my hair off then and there. But when I took the half-dos down I noticed my scalp was tender the rest of the day. Now I do have a sensitive scalp. Does it sound like my scalp needs to just get used to it being somewhere other than hanging down?

I tried those plastic goody elastic bands and ended up with a good portion of my hair on the floor. Is it normal for hair to get caught in elastics and get pulled out?

I so suck at styling my hair, did I mention that?

What length is your hair? At iii you will need a *lot* more length for it to start feeling somewhat comfortable in an updo. At APL, all I wore was a peacock twist and that got me through all the way to waist/hip, when I could finally start wearing a bun.