PDA

View Full Version : Article on longer hair- Agree or disagree?

Sweetalexandria
November 25th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Just had a read of this article and thought it was an interesting read (as well as the actual study they did), just wondering if this is true? I think both short hair and long hair can look equally beautiful, but I truly think it just depends on the person, the facial features and shape. Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor suited short hair very much and it enhanced their already beautiful faces and both very feminine :).

.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3328920/Men-women-longer-hair-sexier-suggests-good-health-experts-say.html.

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3328920/Men-women-longer-hair-sexier-suggests-good-health-experts-say.html)

littlestarface
November 25th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Amal doesnt even have long hair tho its so short but she is a beautiful 3arab girl.

Nellon
November 25th, 2015, 02:39 PM
yeah, if it says it one the internet it must be true! ;)

I would guess some men and women like short haired women, and some like long hair. And some inbetween. I would hate to think the male population is a homogenous group with all one over taste :p

But that's why I'm growing my hair anyways, to have someone pick up gloves I drop! ;) Good to know it works!

lapushka
November 25th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I think it's BS. What is it really based on? Sounds iffy to me. :)

Nique1202
November 25th, 2015, 02:53 PM
The Daily Mail is like the Fox News of Britain, printing anything that they can "prove" by taking facts out of context. I try not to pay any mind to anything they publish.

I maintain that any length of hair can look good on any person, if they get it styled in a way that makes them happy.

Hairkay
November 25th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't pay much attention to that claim. For one they haven't said how big the sample test group/survey was. They also haven't mentioned if these men were all from the same country, state, county or neighbourhood and socio-economic group. Men/people aren't necessarily homogeneous in their attractions.

papayatree
November 25th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Its trends, not fact. :bs:

teddygirl
November 25th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Amal doesnt even have long hair tho its so short but she is a beautiful 3arab girl.

Most regular (ie non LHC) folk would consider her hair long.

I don't know about the science, but pretty much all guys I know prefer apl - waist hair. It's not too long, which can get in the way, but still long enough to be styled various ways. Few males I know prefer longer than waist or shorter than shoulder.

Lucibel
November 25th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Well, many men are attracted to women with long hair. And many are attracted to women with short hair as well. I have been approached by men equally as much, when I had a pixie cut, and when my hair is long. I often find studies dubious at best; results can be manipulated and cherry-picked to prove any point. I also dislike the focus on evolutionary psychology as the end-all, be-all of attraction, because it is a phenomenon that extends far beyond the physical aspects of a person.
Looks like the Daily Fail is just cranking out clickbait.

lillielil
November 25th, 2015, 03:09 PM
There is no point in posting this here.

Mufasa
November 25th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Does anyone have a link to the actual study? I couldn't seem to find it, but I'm interested into how it was done (it doesn't seem reliable from the way that it was presented in the article...)
I don't really believe in these sorts of "studies" because hair length and color depends so much on other factors of an individual. According to this article, red hair is associated with less attractiveness, which I don't agree with: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/redheads-psychology_b_1911771.html

turtlelover
November 25th, 2015, 07:32 PM
I think I get as much male attention w/ bob length hair as I do longer hair, but there is a drop in male attention w/ a pixie cut. I've never met a man who says he likes pixie cuts! So, I think short-short hair can be a turn off more so than slightly longer short hair.

chen bao jun
November 25th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Guys just want you to look easily distinguishable from a guy.

If you have the kind of face where they can tell you're not a guy with short hair, it doesn't bother them. That's probably why most women who get a pixie start wearing big earrings, a lot of makeup--and low-cut blouses.

Come to think of it, if the blouse is low cut enough, your average guy could not say if you have hair or not. They never looked that far up.

as for picking up your gloves, I'd say that has more to do with if you look available or not, than if you look attractive. I have noticed before that the exact same woman, dressed more or less the same will get doors opened for her if she is alone--that is either without another man who is an obvious date, or with small children. As a young mother, I used to get severely pissed at the way guys would let doors slam in my face when I was pushing the baby carriage with the two kids howling, and obviously needed help, while everybody and his brother would fight to open the door for me when I had my arms free and did not need this.

IN my opinion, it was a silly article, and the study was silly and obviously not in the least scientific. It's fun to discuss though, so long as we stay on the subject and don't say things that start straying into politics, which is rightly forbidden on these forums. The debate about the value of Fox News is very political and your opinion on this definitely depends on whether you're conservative or liberal, so sort of does not belong here, IMO, no offense to the person who posted that, I've just heard one too many arguments about that of late to feel comfortable hearing it compared to the Daily Mail, which is really much more like the National Enquirer--.

turtlelover
November 25th, 2015, 09:19 PM
I agree that this isn't the forum to talk politics in -- there is enough of that elsewhere, so this is a nice escape!

bunneh.
November 26th, 2015, 01:22 AM
Even if there are countless studies made, there will still be exceptions. Personally I don't think health has anything to do with long hair. You can have long hair and not be healthy, or you can be healthy and have short hair. The condition your hair is in though does depend on your overall health and even more so your routine. You can be the healthiest person on the planet, but if you abuse your hair it won't look nice, shiny and moisturized.

humble_knight
November 26th, 2015, 03:17 AM
Men who were raised well would pick up a handkerchief for whomever dropped it. If by chance that person is young, female and long-haired, the man could just say, "Excuse me, you dropped this," hand it to her (smile :)) and continue going about his own business rather than using it as a come on.

iYaap
November 26th, 2015, 04:28 AM
One point they make is that men prefer health but I think this goes for women too.
As a biologist I've had a interesting discussions about why evolution gave us hair that can grow very long.
I can understand short hair, but long hair is just not logical.
My own personal conclusion so far is that the eye wants something. Eyes are very complicated anyway. :D
Some say: "I don't believe in evolution because the eye is too complicated." and they are dead serious.

syndel
November 26th, 2015, 05:14 AM
I can guarantee you that what you read in the news does not reflect the actual science behind the experiment they cited. The news is a business, not a credible source of information, and they want views; so they will take a lot of 'creative liberties' with the findings of any study to make it sound much more interesting than it actually is. Before drawing conclusions I'd like to see the scientific methods this study used and what their actual statistics looked like. It might just paint a different picture to what was reported by the news :p

bte
November 26th, 2015, 05:19 AM
First of all it's in the Daily Mail, so it is probably bs.
There may be men who judge a woman on how "healthy" she looks, but I hope men like that keep away from lhc.

lilin
November 26th, 2015, 06:36 AM
The Daily Mail making things up to reinforce gender stereotypes? Gee, I'm shocked.

Obviously men conditioned to expect women to have long hair will respond differently to them. This says nothing about "biology." It's just our cultural norm. Some cultures have different norms, and their expectation of "femininity" will be different.

I know men who like or even prefer short hair on women. I know others who like and prefer long hair. Not that this should matter to any woman. Human beings are diverse and not everything in the world comes down to some sort of social evolutionary mumbo jumbo that implies humans are no different from cats. In fact, almost nothing does. Evolutionary psyche isn't even accepted as a valid model by most of the profession in the first place.

Women should wear their hair however they like, regardless of what "men" as a whole supposedly think of it. Although it's worth noting there is no "men as a whole" anyway, regarding these sorts of things.

HairPlease
November 26th, 2015, 08:28 AM
The hair doesn't make the woman. The woman makes the hair.

MsPharaohMoan
November 26th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I got really excited about an actual study... Then saw it was the daily mail :wigtongue

Men who were raised well would pick up a handkerchief for whomever dropped it. If by chance that person is young, female and long-haired, the man could just say, "Excuse me, you dropped this," hand it to her (smile :)) and continue going about his own business rather than using it as a come on.

:crush:

EdG
November 26th, 2015, 10:13 AM
I stopped reading after the first two words: "Men find..." :lol:
Ed

HairAbuse
November 26th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I agree about politics having no place here, but you don't need to be a liberal to think that Fox news is not the highest quality news source. It may not have been a political statement at all :)

luxurioushair
November 26th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I don't take the Daily Mail seriously.

spidermom
November 26th, 2015, 01:54 PM
If it's true, it's probably a subconscious thing. Lack of health will usually show up in the quality and thickness of the hair. I doubt it's anything most people think about, however. But there might be a kernel of truth.

Night_Kitten
November 27th, 2015, 10:18 AM
From the article: "Men were almost twice as likely to pick up a glove dropped by a woman with shoulder-length hair"
So now shoulder-length hair is considered as long out there??? I always thought APL or just past it starts being referred to as "long", and between chin and APL is "medium" in the "real world"...

turtlelover
November 27th, 2015, 11:07 AM
I don't know.....I'm barely APL and my hair gets called "long" all the time! :-)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 27th, 2015, 01:43 PM
My sisters call shoulder length hair "long". My hair, they call "just gross". :rolleyes: :lala:

So men all think alike, like sheep? Not the ones I know. What a ridiculous article. My SO would pick up a glove no matter who dropped it, it's called manners.

lapushka
November 27th, 2015, 03:17 PM
My sisters call shoulder length hair "long". My hair, they call "just gross". :rolleyes: :lala:

So men all think alike, like sheep? Not the ones I know. What a ridiculous article. My SO would pick up a glove no matter who dropped it, it's called manners.

Yes! Common sense! :applause

humble_knight
November 29th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I think that whilst the media does seem disapproving of long hair, there is the rare occasion when they get it right and try at least in small part to offer their readers a balanced picture. The two links below illustrate this, I hope :

An article from the same Daily Mail, this year, about older women with Rapunzel hair :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3051179/Meet-real-life-RAPUNZELS-cope-hair-long-sit-it.html

This one is on Jean Burgess, a 70-something English lady who has tresses which still reach her knees

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/weird/grandma-is-real-life-rapunzel/story-e6frev20-1111117153149

vpatt
November 30th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Silly......that's a big leap ....I'm gonna pick up her hankie because she looks like healthy breeding stock....lol

palaeoqueen
November 30th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I haven't read the actual study but I can guarantee that no-one has said that it is because men consciously associate long hair with health, it probably says that there may be a subconscious association. Which might be true. Obviously the Daily Mail is a load of rubbish anyway and not to be taken at all seriously!