PDA

View Full Version : When you cut your hair- to sell or not to sell your hairtoys that is the question

Caraid♫
November 23rd, 2015, 05:46 PM
A while back I posted about making a pretty big cut- tbl to bsl. Well now I've gone and cut a "long angled bob"
No regrets. I used to be very devoted to long hair and enjoyed it very much but over time I simply have lost a desire to have very long hair. I've stopped identifiying as a "longhair" like I used to. I still love and hugely admire long hair in general though:D
Now the question is, despite not feeling attached to my hair length anymore, I feel deeply attached to my hair toys! Yet I cannot wear any of them anymore. Of course it's something I should decide for myself, but just out of curiosity, if you were in my position would you say a)that's silly, I should try to sell these expensive things I can make no use of! b)Keep them if you feel attached (with the thought that maybe someday I'll grow my hair back out again). c)keep one or two just in case and try to sell the rest.
I'm truly torn. It's silly but Im afraid I'll regret selling them, at the same time, I don't want the hairtoys lying around making me regret that I can't use them!
Love you all and your beautiful hair :inlove:

Zesty
November 23rd, 2015, 06:29 PM
I'd vote keep one or two. I sold a lot of mine when I cut my hair and then when I decided to grow again I REALLY wanted my redheart GTS fork back (I have since bought a very similar one). I didn't regret much else. Plus some of them are really works of art independent of their function. So keep a few, give it a while, and if you're really convinced you'll never grow long and wear them again, you can sell the rest.

vpatt
November 23rd, 2015, 06:40 PM
I don't have too many really expensive ones yet because my hair is not too long. But I have begun collecting and would probably hold on to them for a while and then if I didn't decide to grow again I would probably give them to my grown daughters who both have longish hair and could use them. But if I didn't have daughters who would like them I would probably keep a few and sell the rest.

Groovy Granny
November 23rd, 2015, 06:50 PM
Oh Caraid..it is gone?! :agape:
You were such an inspiration when I first was growing out 2+ years ago!
Sometimes we just need to change things up to see what makes us happiest.

I have never been in that situation, and have often wondered what I'd do if I had to cut for some reason!

I think I would hang on to them for a month or so, then slowly sort out 'must keep' pieces.
If you have relatives you can give them too...great; maybe they'd gift them back in the future if you go long again.:wink:
If not, them sell them.

Will you show us a pic of your new do? :popcorn:

I am sure you are gorgeous either way and wish you all the best with whatever you decide :flowers:

Amapola
November 23rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
Personally? I'd be cautious about selling them all because (personally, again) I'd no doubt want to grow my hair back and some of my toys are not replaceable. Plus the fact is, they are SO beautiful. I have them on display in my bathroom and just love walking in there and seeing them. They bring real joy to my heart.

Now, if you were not ever going to grow back? OK. I'd take some time, think it over and then start dispersing them as you felt ready to do so. But, I would caution you not to rush into it. You don't HAVE to use something to enjoy it. (Example: a painting.)

Caraid♫
November 23rd, 2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your answers! regardless of what I do, I'll wait a little while :)

Oh Caraid..it is gone?! :agape:
You were such an inspiration when I first was growing out 2+ years ago!
Sometimes we just need to change things up to see what makes us happiest.

I have never been in that situation, and have often wondered what I'd do if I had to cut for some reason!

I think I would hang on to them for a month or so, then slowly sort out 'must keep' pieces.
If you have relatives you can give them too...great; maybe they'd gift them back in the future if you go long again.:wink:
If not, them sell them.

Will you show us a pic of your new do? :popcorn:

I am sure you are gorgeous either way and wish you all the best with whatever you decide :flowers:
I know, it's hard to believe!! If I start growing again, tables will be turned, you'll be my inspiration! I really liked my hair, but I didn't like the way it made my face look if that makes sense- I think it's the smallness of my head being overwhelmed hahaha

Here is the new do' :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20020&d=1448332446

Caraid♫
November 23rd, 2015, 07:38 PM
Personally? I'd be cautious about selling them all because (personally, again) I'd no doubt want to grow my hair back and some of my toys are not replaceable. Plus the fact is, they are SO beautiful. I have them on display in my bathroom and just love walking in there and seeing them. They bring real joy to my heart.

Now, if you were not ever going to grow back? OK. I'd take some time, think it over and then start dispersing them as you felt ready to do so. But, I would caution you not to rush into it. You don't HAVE to use something to enjoy it. (Example: a painting.)

Exactly why I am so hesitant to sell them- they are just so beautiful and still so special to me! Im sure I could part with some of them but I'm thinking maybe not all, especially my Elymwold forks!

Groovy Granny
November 23rd, 2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks for your answers! regardless of what I do, I'll wait a little while :)

I know, it's hard to believe!! If I start growing again, tables will be turned, you'll be my inspiration! I really liked my hair, but I didn't like the way it made my face look if that makes sense- I think it's the smallness of my head being overwhelmed hahaha

Here is the new do' :

I know right?!
Who'd have thought it would be reversed!lol

That looks very cute on you; I like it!

Is that your natural color?

I had a feeling this was coming after you told us about your first cut :wink:

You are pretty no matter the length girl :thumbsup:

Caraid♫
November 23rd, 2015, 07:43 PM
I know right?!
Who'd have thought it would be reversed!lol

That looks very cute on you; I like it!

Is that your natural color?

I had a feeling this was coming after you told us about your first cut :wink:

You are pretty no matter the length girl :thumbsup:

Thanks! :D Nope, though no longer a longhair, I'm still proudly a hennahead for the longhaul! :D (the colour looks strange in this picture, it's got one of those instagram filters on it)

Groovy Granny
November 23rd, 2015, 07:45 PM
Ah ok.... lol; henna looks great on you!

You're still a long hair :flowers:
Just not as long as you were :wink:

It must feel so light and free?

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
November 23rd, 2015, 08:46 PM
I'd pick a few of my favorites to keep and get rid of the rest, but that's just me. I tend to feel guilty about "clutter" or just having a lot of things around that aren't being used.
Your new cut looks great, you're very pretty. :flowers:

Arete
November 23rd, 2015, 10:34 PM
Love the new style, Caraid! It looks lovely :crush:

spidermom
November 23rd, 2015, 10:41 PM
I'd keep my favorites and perhaps even find another use for them.

pailin
November 23rd, 2015, 11:55 PM
I've never had really long hair (BSL-ish) but I never got rid of things I didn't use when I cut my hair short before. And sooner or later, I'd get them out again. In your position, I'd wait 6 months or a year, because when I cut my hair short the last 2 times, I started growing it again after about a year of short hair. After 6 months or a year, then I'd consider choosing a few things to keep and selling/ giving to family what I didn't want to keep. I wouldn't just get rid of it all quickly unless you needed to raise the money or really needed the space.

bunneh.
November 24th, 2015, 02:57 AM
The new hair looks really good on you. :D If I was you I'd keep the hair toya that I like the most and am the most attached to and try to sell the rest. You don't have to rush with selling though. Or you can pack them in a box and store them in the attic or somewhere so you can wear them again if you decide to grow out your hair again. :)

lapushka
November 24th, 2015, 04:31 AM
If it were me, I would go through my entire collection, and decide which items I'm really wanting to keep and get rid of. It would not be an all or nothing thing with me. Pretty cut! I like it. It's not long hair according to LHC's standards, but it's not that short either that you couldn't grow it back out with *ease*!

Don't leave. I happen to think this site is about good hair care as well, and you need that at every length!

Mimha
November 24th, 2015, 05:00 AM
Caraid, my bun inspiration !! :thud: :heartbroken:

Well, anyway I can understand your choice : I have been making the same three times in my life, now. Which means that I always ended up growing my hair back again !^^ So considering this, I would keep my hairtoys for the future. (Precious collection pieces such as Ficcare will become more pricey with time :wink:). Or second option, I would offer some to a long hair relative that I love (like my Mom or my niece :love:) and keep my most beloved ones as souvenirs. I'm not so much into selling items that I have loved :( ... well maybe at a reasonable price to some friendly LHCer who will be able to appreciate it as much as I have. :)

Caraid♫
November 24th, 2015, 05:40 AM
I think you all have definitely convinced me it's a good idea to wait a little bit- In fact, I've discovered I can actually use some of my smaller forks to hold up a french twist!! And my large ficarre will do the same! I have to get it just right and it'll take some practice but it is quite secure! I'm over the moon about this! I will definitely wait to sell. There are just a couple items I didn't wear much anyways that this might be a good pooportunity to pass on, but I'll stsill wait a little bit. I'm also less atached to my sticks and those definitely dont work for me now, so we'll see...

If it were me, I would go through my entire collection, and decide which items I'm really wanting to keep and get rid of. It would not be an all or nothing thing with me. Pretty cut! I like it. It's not long hair according to LHC's standards, but it's not that short either that you couldn't grow it back out with *ease*!

Don't leave. I happen to think this site is about good hair care as well, and you need that at every length!
Thanks Lapushka!! I dont post much anymore, but I don't plan to completely up and leave! I still completely believe in good haircare at any length to keep it looking its healthiest and honestly don't plan on changing my "routine" much for this length :) It's also still a great place to talk about henna since I'm still into that. Not to mention lurking other's beutiful hair pics just for fun! ;)

earthybee
November 24th, 2015, 06:38 AM
I love your new hair cut! I did the same exact cut in July. I sold most of my hair toys and kept a few special to me. No regrets at all there. I'm growing again but more so because I miss it bsl. Thankfully my hair grows quickly. I think you can't go wrong with whatever you chose. Hair toys seem to multiple pretty quickly in their box. :lol:

Caraid♫
November 24th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Caraid, my bun inspiration !! :thud: :heartbroken:

Well, anyway I can understand your choice : I have been making the same three times in my life, now. Which means that I always ended up growing my hair back again !^^ So considering this, I would keep my hairtoys for the future. (Precious collection pieces such as Ficcare will become more pricey with time :wink:). Or second option, I would offer some to a long hair relative that I love (like my Mom or my niece :love:) and keep my most beloved ones as souvenirs. I'm not so much into selling items that I have loved :( ... well maybe at a reasonable price to some friendly LHCer who will be able to appreciate it as much as I have. :)
I know it's sad, no more buns for me!! but I'll keep all my old pics up so I get sniffle over them every once in a while when I'm feeling nostalgic :p
I can definitely understanding not wanting to sell items that you've loved, it would seem a little strange to me too which is why I'm so reluctant. The idea of passing them on to family is quite nice though!

Caraid♫
November 24th, 2015, 06:58 AM
I love your new hair cut! I did the same exact cut in July. I sold most of my hair toys and kept a few special to me. No regrets at all there. I'm growing again but more so because I miss it bsl. Thankfully my hair grows quickly. I think you can't go wrong with whatever you chose. Hair toys seem to multiple pretty quickly in their box. :lol:
Thanks earthybee! Hair toys definitely have a way of doing that, I'm sure if one were to start "collecting" again in the future, you'd have a decent few things to wear in no time! I'm thinking I'll have to decide what's replaceable in that sense and keep the items that are more unique

LadyLongLocks
November 24th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Tuck them away where you won't see them. OR keep your very favorite ones and sell the rest.OR Make a shadow box display out of them with the hair you cut...maybe you will grow it back someday when you miss long hair!

cat11
November 28th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Caraid I would say B, keep them.

You might grow your hair again, even ten or twenty years from now. And then you'll be upset you sold your collection.

two_wheels
November 28th, 2015, 06:48 AM
I would keep my very favourites too. And your new look is gorgeous!
Anyway, everyone has said those things already, but I wanted to add - if you can manage a tucked French braid then forks hold those really well and the style hides even big prongs :) like this (http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140709_zps0a49f38f.jpg)

Aingeal
November 28th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I've been on a hiatus from long hair for the past year, but I kept all my hair toys. I'm so glad I did. I'm growing my hair out again and can't wait to be able to use them!

omega
November 28th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I would give mine away :)

Caraid♫
November 28th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Tuck them away where you won't see them. OR keep your very favorite ones and sell the rest.OR Make a shadow box display out of them with the hair you cut...maybe you will grow it back someday when you miss long hair!

Caraid I would say B, keep them.

You might grow your hair again, even ten or twenty years from now. And then you'll be upset you sold your collection.

This is very true- I very well might start growing again and I would definitely kick myself for getting rid of my whole collection! Especially if I start growing in 20 years or so, who knows what the availability of certain hairtoys will be

I would keep my very favourites too. And your new look is gorgeous!
Anyway, everyone has said those things already, but I wanted to add - if you can manage a tucked French braid then forks hold those really well and the style hides even big prongs :) like this (http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140709_zps0a49f38f.jpg)
thank you!! Thanks for the picture- that is definitely a good option for using forks with short hair! This and a french twist will be my go to's for using my forks I think

I've been on a hiatus from long hair for the past year, but I kept all my hair toys. I'm so glad I did. I'm growing my hair out again and can't wait to be able to use them!
That's lucky you kept them! How long is your hair now? You might be able to wear them again slready with hairstyles like the one two_wheels posted! :)

I would give my away :)
You are a very generous person! I get so attached to certain belongings, wish I could be more "zen" about it!

Upside Down
November 28th, 2015, 09:42 AM
I would keep them for a while. After a year or so it will be much more clear whether you'll be growing again and whether you will miss them.

I did this with lots of clothes pre pregnancy. Didn't want them gone just then but kept them and a year after I gave birth I looked at thise things and couldn't remember why I was so attached :lol:
I gave those away but honestly I would probably be selling hairtoys cause thise are just too expensive.

PS you look really lovely with your new do!!!

turtlelover
November 28th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I say keep them. You might want to grow again someday. I understand feeling overwhelmed and wanting a change, but sometimes even something small like a few bangs can make long hair feel more wearable if you want it again someday.

truepeacenik
November 28th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Id definitely keep any customs that cannot be redone. Like TTs.
Anything more mass market, including Ficcare, France Luxe, even the two French crafters of metal, I'd sell those.
Acrylics? Sell.

I like the idea of a shadow box but with a photo, not your cut hair itself.
Any accessories you picked up for wood grain or whatever, should be kept if you still love that grain.
I'd personally have a limitation of space, such as a shadow box less than 20 inches by 30 inches (I've a few canvases of this size and I could easily display my treasures, but not the collection)

I've toyed with laying all my acrylics in a pattern, color fading and by contrasts, and photographing them as art.
Many sticks and forks function as shawl/scarf pins.

Alastríona
November 28th, 2015, 02:10 PM
My two cents - keep them. I throw stuff away all the time then find myself looking around for it/them... as in one day it's windy/rainy/Christmas/something and you really want to wear *...*..... but you can't.
The things you never wore anyway, that's different, but your go-tos I'd keep:-)

Caraid♫
November 28th, 2015, 02:14 PM
I would keep them for a while. After a year or so it will be much more clear whether you'll be growing again and whether you will miss them.

I did this with lots of clothes pre pregnancy. Didn't want them gone just then but kept them and a year after I gave birth I looked at thise things and couldn't remember why I was so attached :lol:
I gave those away but honestly I would probably be selling hairtoys cause thise are just too expensive.

PS you look really lovely with your new do!!!

Thank you!! Waiting a year is a good idea. It's always good not to be too hasty- I'm just imagining if I'd decided to sell everything the day I cut my hair. It would've been a horrible mistake because I'm already discovering that I can still use all my forks even at this length!!

Id definitely keep any customs that cannot be redone. Like TTs.
Anything more mass market, including Ficcare, France Luxe, even the two French crafters of metal, I'd sell those.
Acrylics? Sell.

I like the idea of a shadow box but with a photo, not your cut hair itself.
Any accessories you picked up for wood grain or whatever, should be kept if you still love that grain.
I'd personally have a limitation of space, such as a shadow box less than 20 inches by 30 inches (I've a few canvases of this size and I could easily display my treasures, but not the collection)

I've toyed with laying all my acrylics in a pattern, color fading and by contrasts, and photographing them as art.
Many sticks and forks function as shawl/scarf pins.
I agree about keeping the beautiful wood toys- they are somehow more special. I've already swapped out one acrylic and am trying to swap out the rest because I don't feel the same attachment to them, but using them for something else like a shawl pin is also a good idea!

omega
November 28th, 2015, 08:08 PM
You are a very generous person! I get so attached to certain belongings, wish I could be more "zen" about it!
Generous? Yes! Zen? More like minimalist!

MsPharaohMoan
November 29th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I think you all have definitely convinced me it's a good idea to wait a little bit- In fact, I've discovered I can actually use some of my smaller forks to hold up a french twist!! And my large ficarre will do the same! I have to get it just right and it'll take some practice but it is quite secure! I'm over the moon about this! I will definitely wait to sell. There are just a couple items I didn't wear much anyways that this might be a good pooportunity to pass on, but I'll stsill wait a little bit. I'm also less atached to my sticks and those definitely dont work for me now, so we'll see...

Thanks Lapushka!! I dont post much anymore, but I don't plan to completely up and leave! I still completely believe in good haircare at any length to keep it looking its healthiest and honestly don't plan on changing my "routine" much for this length :) It's also still a great place to talk about henna since I'm still into that. Not to mention lurking other's beutiful hair pics just for fun! ;)

Absolutely ridiculous but it's late... er, early, and I needed to bomb this thread to announce the bolded miss-spell above made me snicker childishly. Your new haircut looks very sweet. Interesting that you mention not liking the look of a big bun on your small head.

<3

Caraid♫
November 29th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Absolutely ridiculous but it's late... er, early, and I needed to bomb this thread to announce the bolded miss-spell above made me snicker childishly. Your new haircut looks very sweet. Interesting that you mention not liking the look of a big bun on your small head.

<3
HAHAHA! oops! as a shameless fan of "potty humour" I cant stop snickeing either :o:laugh:

It's not so much the big bun that looked weird but more the volume of hair when it was down- my head just got totally lost!

pastina
November 29th, 2015, 08:24 AM
For the record, I laughed at pooportunity too. :D

truepeacenik
November 29th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Thank you!! Waiting a year is a good idea. It's always good not to be too hasty- I'm just imagining if I'd decided to sell everything the day I cut my hair. It would've been a horrible mistake because I'm already discovering that I can still use all my forks even at this length!!

I agree about keeping the beautiful wood toys- they are somehow more special. I've already swapped out one acrylic and am trying to swap out the rest because I don't feel the same attachment to them, but using them for something else like a shawl pin is also a good idea!

I use two fakkares to clip back curtains.
I'm not a fan of the hinge near my hair, but I am a fan of my paint jobs.

sugar&nutmeg
November 29th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Caraid, your new do is lovely (as are you).

I cut my hair short three years ago. I was absolutely convinced I would be a short-hair for (what's left of my) life.

I ditched all the scrunchies and plastic clips. Though I didn't have many 'quality' hair toys-- 3 Ficcare, 3 different sizes of flexi, some ketylos --I kept them all. Almost gave them away to a niece who has long hair, but...didn't. I use the ketylos as shawl pins at the moment.

Now, three + years later, I'm growing my hair again.

If your hair toys are not in the way, and you love them, maybe just put them aside and keep them. They won't go bad. And despite how you feel now (btdt), you may decide to grow your hair long(er) in future, and wish you had your beloved toys back.

Caraid♫
December 6th, 2015, 05:04 AM
For the record, I laughed at pooportunity too. :D
:redgrin::lol:

I use two fakkares to clip back curtains.
I'm not a fan of the hinge near my hair, but I am a fan of my paint jobs.
smart! that makes me want to but some cheap fakkares just for that purpose! (tying a rope around my curtains gets so annoying, I just end up leaving them closed hahaha

Caraid, your new do is lovely (as are you).

I cut my hair short three years ago. I was absolutely convinced I would be a short-hair for (what's left of my) life.

I ditched all the scrunchies and plastic clips. Though I didn't have many 'quality' hair toys-- 3 Ficcare, 3 different sizes of flexi, some ketylos --I kept them all. Almost gave them away to a niece who has long hair, but...didn't. I use the ketylos as shawl pins at the moment.

Now, three + years later, I'm growing my hair again.

If your hair toys are not in the way, and you love them, maybe just put them aside and keep them. They won't go bad. And despite how you feel now (btdt), you may decide to grow your hair long(er) in future, and wish you had your beloved toys back.

Thank you! I'm so glad you held on to your hairtoys!
I like my new cut, but I'm not attached to keeping it forever or anything so I very well might grow it out sometime!
Well I've decided on definitely keeping my collection. I actually swapped out some sticks for more forks!! Forks can still work for me whereas sticks dont. Even with very long hair, I was a fork person not a stick person, so I don't think I'll regret getting rid of them. My fork collection however, I would be silly to get rid of because I love them so much!!