PDA

View Full Version : Need Secure Hair Do Ideas

nastasska
March 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM
I'll hopefully be starting Flamenco Dance lessons next week:cheese:
So I need some ideas for keeping my hair out of the way.It tends to be fairly slippery so I'm not sure how to keep it up without it slipping down,equally I don't want to damage my hair but doing it up too tightly:confused:

icydove
March 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
I think a French braid or some variation would work best, and then, you could bun the tail if you wanted.

lora410
March 21st, 2008, 06:29 AM
Allot of people with slippy hair love the ficcares alot. maybe a french twist help with a ficcare?

Saldana
March 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Nastasska -
You and I have somewhat similar hairtypes, although you have more wave than I do....I do pretty vigorous countrywestern dancing on Thursday evenings, and last night, I think I found the perfect updo (I tried wearing my hair in a half-up ONCE - what a disaster....)

Anyway. What I did was French braid it as far down as I could get it, then put a friendly elastic on the end. Then I folded the braid up and over, and secured it with a large barette.

My hair stayed in place all night, no problems. It wasn't a tight updo, but it was very very secure and comfortable. Plus, I got several compliments on it! (bonus:)

My hair tends to slither out of anything I put it into (hence, my signature line...), but this stayed mostly put all night long. For the inevitable wispies on the sides, a couple of bobby pins sufficed.

HTH!

HeatherAngela
March 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
I also like french braids for keeping slippery hair back. The braid loosens up some over the course of the day, but it stays put. I don't flip the end up with a barette yet, but I'm only mid-back length right now.

TammySue
March 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Do you know how to make the Swirly Bun? I make this without using any ties or elastics and it holds VERY well. I remember having a test done at the hospital and I had to remove my hairstick from my bun. The nurse looked at me and said "How does your bun stay there and not fall down?" LOL! It's magic! :magic:

rhondalicious
March 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
For Flamenco, you could do the typical ballerina style, then put a crocheted bun cover on it - just a nice bun on the crown, and then the bun net would help keep the slippy bits of hair in (cotton ones are usually pretty good at that!)

I know that with me and buns, I do better with those small plastic crimped U hair pins, instead of any of the thin bendy metal kind you get at the drug store. Look at a dance supply store near you, you ought to be able to find them.

nastasska
March 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Thank You :flowers:

I don't know how to do that bun Tammy Sue do you have instructions:rockerdud
Rhondaliscious I forgot all about Bun Covers :flowers:

HeatherAngela
March 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Also, now that I'm practicing it more, ducth braids (inside out french braid) also stay well and don't loosen up as quickly as french braids do on me. Just thought of that while I was doing my hair a few minutes ago.

podo
March 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM
Do NOT leave your tail hanging in a braid or even ponytail. I used to do that when I first started ballroom and cut my husband's cheek after a turn.

I like any type of bun - just pin it well. Hairsticks are good only if they're quite secure. You can also twist it up into a bun and use a clip of some kind. That way you can redo it if needed.

AJoifulNoise
March 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM
My most secure 'do is a cinnabun with clips all around it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March172008Upload003.jpg

You just put it up in a cinnabun and clip the clips all around it. It's not complicated. You don't have to place them "just right."

This is basically the only style I wear to church on Sundays. We're a really hoppin' church (literally) and it has never fallen or slipped.

aprilmay
March 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM
I would try it in a bun with a sturdy stick or comb. I wear my hair like that quite a bit and no damage from that. Hair bands are another toy I use a lot, but they seem to be harsher on my hair.

Anje
March 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM
For working out, I've been known to do what essentially amounts to a crochet chain stitch with my hair, secured with a ficarre. It started out as a KarenLynn knot, or something like that (gather hair back, hold pony, loop hair around fingers, tie hair in knot but don't bring the ends through, but leave a loop), then brought the length through the loop again rather than wrapping it around. You've got a lot more length than me and could probably do this more than twice. Secure against your head with a ficarre and may look like you've got a big fat braid clipped to your head. For me, it definitely stays put.

aisling
March 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
A braided bun held with a Ficcare, then even if the bun would give in (not very probable), you'll still have your hair in a braid and it's fast and easy to redo.

Wavelength
March 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
Thank You :flowers:

I don't know how to do that bun Tammy Sue do you have instructions:rockerdud
Rhondaliscious I forgot all about Bun Covers :flowers:

May I second the request for Swirly Bun instructions? I think I know to which bun you are referring, but I can't get it to stay up and I suspect I'm missing some important step that got lost in translation. I've tried doing this bun a bajillion times but I can't quite seem to get the hang of it. I'd really like to learn though!

Pegasus
March 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
I'll hopefully be starting Flamenco Dance lessons next week:cheese:
So I need some ideas for keeping my hair out of the way.It tends to be fairly slippery so I'm not sure how to keep it up without it slipping down,equally I don't want to damage my hair but doing it up too tightly:confused:
Ah, viva el arte flamenco. I've been doing it for over ten years now. There's nothing like it. Just make sure you train with a good teacher, someone who knows flamenco puro and good strong technique. I've studied my whole dance career with Teo Morca, who is a brilliant dancer and choreographer. He's living in Taos, NM now, and I go there as often as I can.

Baile!

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I want some secure styles for work too...as i have puppies around that bit and tug on dangling braids as if they were tug rope....I also don't want to touch my hair all day as my hands are covered in germies (from cleanin cages) so i want something i to in the morn and it stays that way all day.
I tried a beak clip bun- didn't work. My first cinnabun- all the bobby pins fell out and at the end it was loose...But now i wear braided buns. I occasionally try something new but this one stuck and it works.... :)