PDA

View Full Version : Curious about one-day hair dye

Suguru
November 20th, 2015, 09:26 PM
So I just finished uni for the year and was thinking about dying my hair a fun colour with a temporary dye to celebrate (and also to get my mind off how slowly it is growing!) I stumbled upon this pastel purple dye in the local grocery store and decided (rather impulsively I admit) to buy it.

http://briteorganix.myshopify.com/products/new-one-day-colour-pastel-purple

The dye is made by a company called Brite Organix. This "One Day colour" dye describes itself as "a low transfer instant temporary colour system" and it claims to wash out with a single shampoo. If this is true it would be ideal (I had a bad experience last year with a red temporary hair dye that claimed it would wash out in eight washes but left my hair with a permanent pink stain).

I am curious if anyone has experience with this hair dye or any similar one-day hair dyes. I am interested to know:

1. Would this pastel dye show up on my unbleached hair (I have virgin "blonette" hair that is about level 6 or 7)
2. How many washes will it really take to get it out?
3. Is there a risk of it staining my hair?
4. Do you think this type of dye would be damaging or drying?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

pastina
November 20th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Is it a chalk? A spray? A gel? It's hard to tell! It seems like it's a mousse that you can apply heat to, so I'd assume it finishes like a chalk once the liquid that makes it a mousse evaporates.

So I've never used this exact product. Typically, though, these are true rinse out colors. They coat the hair similar to the way a hair spray would, and then they're gone with one shampoo. My guess (based on experience with seemingly similar products) is that, yes, it will show up in your hair.

I know that, even with those aerosol spray-in colors that used to be super popular (around Halloween especially) there was a slight risk of staining on light hair, dependent upon what color you were using. A friend had this happen using a fire engine red on her dirty blonde hair, but the residual color was gone in maybe three shampoos. ... And i think she was more the exception than the rule. But, I understand your fear. Since this formulation is specifically labeled for light hair, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it staining. The ones that are labeled as for dark hair, though-- I might steer clear of those.

You *could* always strand test it somewhere not overly conspicuous. :)

Suguru
November 21st, 2015, 04:14 AM
Thanks pastina for your response! I had considered posting this question in the colourful longhairs thread (where I have been lurking and admiring all of your gorgeous hair!) but I didn't want to derail :)

Yeah I chose the "for light hair" option even though my hair is probably on the border of light and dark to minimise any possible risk of it staining my hair. Your suggestion of strand testing is a good one. The only problem is that with my hair as short and layered as it is currently there really aren't any sections that aren't conspicuous! I might just do a bit at the back that at least won't be visible in my graduation photos!