PDA

View Full Version : Wash my HAIR 2 times a day?

katarzyncia
November 18th, 2015, 01:45 PM
My HAIR is very thin, chin length, and scalp is very oily. Every morning I have to wash them and style. I don't use much heat, just cold air. Every evening I am working out hard, and my hair and scalp are wet. When I am taking a shower i have to wash them once again to be clean. I don't use shampoo - conditioner only, and then don't use anything else, and don't style. I am waiting to have them dry and go to the bed. Sometimes I put coconut then, and that is all. But after night I have to wash it once again to look like a human at work. I can't do any hairstyle, cause they are too short. I am wondering - is this ok or am I damaging them while washing 2 times a day this way?

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Can you just leave it at night, and wash it in one go in the morning? Consider the sebum at night an extra oil treatment, as if you had put oil in your hair to sleep with. I think that's a lot better than washing it at night as well.

Nique1202
November 18th, 2015, 02:17 PM
You mention that you're conditioner-washing, is that at both washes? Conditioner might be weighing your hair down and making it look and feel a lot greasier than it might otherwise be. If your scalp produces oil enough to make your hair look greasy, then you don't need conditioner above your earlobes. I know if conditioner touches my scalp, I look greasy within hours, but if I keep the conditioner to just my ends, my hair is fine for days.

Washing with a good, simple shampoo (with not a lot of oils or other things in it, just something to wash out the sebum) in the morning might make a huge difference even to how your hair feels after working out, to the point where you might be able to just rinse or or not touch it at all, or maybe you can try a dry shampoo (something professional or just some cornstarch or cocoa powder in a shaker might do, depending on your hair colour) in the evening.

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Nique has a good point about conditioner. I can't CO-wash as my hair is too oily and I normally need to wash 2/3x a week, and you're even oilier so consider ditching that altogether. And do only apply conditioner ears-down!

katarzyncia
November 19th, 2015, 03:45 AM
It is not how they look like after working out. It is about how they smell, and they are salty and I hate it. My husband tells me also they are smelling like dead mouse after my exercises. I usually wash with conditioner only, but sometimes i have to use a shampoo in the morning to clear a buildup. My hair was totaly damaged after my journey with indigo lightening ( I know stupid idea, but I had no knowledge then). I had to cut them from waist to the chin to remove green color. Nothing could help - henna, natural dyes, even black chemical hairdye. I still have some indigo (about 5 cm) but waiting to growing up and cut them all. But the most important - i am totaly scared to damage more hair. It is the shortest hairstyle I ever had.

Nini
November 19th, 2015, 04:08 AM
I can't do CO-washing, unless I have time to leave it on for at least an hour before washing it out. So I gave up on that years ago. Instead I use an SLS-free shampoo since my scalp reacts to SLS.

I don't use oils unless on special occations either, since it leaves me with stringy hair. No matter how little I use.

So, if I were you I'd trade conditioner for shampoo for a while. And either don't use oil, or limit it to a light oil once or twice a week.

pailin
November 19th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Since you want to wash your hair after working out (and I feel the same) I would try going back to shampoo. You may do better with a lightweight one, not creamy. Then conditioner below the ears only. See if that allows you to wash only in the evening. Then if you still need something in the morning, maybe a dry shampoo to reduce greasiness at your roots.

lapushka
November 19th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Since you want to wash your hair after working out (and I feel the same) I would try going back to shampoo. You may do better with a lightweight one, not creamy. Then conditioner below the ears only. See if that allows you to wash only in the evening. Then if you still need something in the morning, maybe a dry shampoo to reduce greasiness at your roots.

I like that idea. Yes, try ditching the CO - it is awful if your hair is oily! Well, that's my personal experience anyway, and my hair isn't even *that* oily.

missblueeyes
November 19th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Since you described your hair as fine, I doubt that CO-washing works well for your hair. You might want to try a sulfate-free shampoo instead. It's not as harsh as usual shampoos with sulfates but cleanses well enough. If you have to wash your hair twice a day, that might be a good alternative. :)

Verdandi
November 19th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Do you HAVE to wash your hair in the morning? Wouldn't it be enough to wash at night after your work out and then perhaps just style it in the morning?

My sister also had problems with hair so greasy that she though she needed to wash twice a day, turned out her scalp was panic-ing because of over washing. That could be the case.....

spidermom
November 19th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I agree, try washing and drying after the workout but not in the morning. You can use a spray bottle to spritz your hair if you need something to get sleep kinks out. Also, you can dilute shampoo in water to make it more gentle. I do that nearly every time and wash about every 3 days.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 19th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Yes, I was just going to suggest diluting shampoo, it is not as harsh using it that way. I always use diluted shampoo, except when I am clarifying.

RavenRose
November 19th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Can you work out in the early morning, and then wash?

I too have very greasy hair, and conditioner or oils anywhere near my scalp results in a grease slick within a few hours. It is even worse in the drier heating months. As others have said I would ditch the CO wash. The frequent washing may be causing you to over produce sebum also. It may be worse because you are switching back and forth between Co-wash and a possibly harsh shampoo... If you are having issues with build up it may be you are using a conditioner that has a lot or silicones and proteins that are not water soluble, which I know make my scalp produce more sebum also, since the hair under the buildup is actually dry.

Switching to a diluted or SLS free shampoo may be better for you. I would start stretching washes on days you don't have to look so presentable, to help your scalp adjust.

meteor
November 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM
You could replace CO-wash with a stronger (e.g. "for oily hair" or "clarifying", etc) cleanser to see if it helps you stretch out washes further.
The more cleansing shampoos and adding dry shampoos sometimes to stretch washes might help if the hair tends to get oily super fast.

If your need to wash twice a day is just about re-styling hair or rinsing out sweat after a workout, you could just rinse your hair with plain water or use plain water or heavily diluted shampoo to do a scalp-only wash (while keeping length braided/bunned - if it's long enough - and covered with a plastic cap).

katarzyncia
November 19th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Thank you for all suggestions. I can't workout in the morning, cause I wake up at 5 a.m. I should stand up about 3:30 a.m. to don't be late :/ I will try with shampoo before going to the bed tomorrow and we will see what I can do with my hair next morning. But I suppose they will be flat and nothing could help me to look like a human. I have to look very good at work do that's the biggest problem to me. When I had longer hair I could make updos or even braids, but now I can't. I was trying to use pins, but no luck - every hairstyle looks awfull.

nalgena
November 19th, 2015, 05:42 PM
How about dry shampoo? You could use it in the morning instead of washing and it would also give you some volume. I have very fine hair and it makes a big difference for me. I made a very simple diy dry shampoo (corn starch, some cacao powder coz I'm a brunette and a few drops of rosemary EO) which is very effective and cheap too.

Or maybe don't wash your hair in the evening and wear silk/satin bonnet if the smell bothers your husband so much.

OT: how do professional swimmers take care of their hair? I think mine would just melt away if I soaked them in chlorine everyday, not to mention all the washing and drying on a daily basis.

lapushka
November 20th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking how bad can it really smell after just working out a regular amount? I think the reaction to this is quite strong! Why not use a dry shampoo for the evening. I would just wait until the morning to wash. Nevermind what your husband says. He'll learn to live with it!

JustPam
November 20th, 2015, 04:34 AM
I think a mild shampoo at night would be fine, the CO washing is probably what's making you feel the need to wash again in the morning. I always wash at night with my 2-in-1 and only condition the very ends once a week because my hair is low-porosity and too easily weighed down by conditioner. I think at chin length your ends are still close enough to your scalp for natural oils to keep moisturised, so you might even get away with not using conditioner at all. I also just use dry shampoo after lighter workouts.

syndel
November 20th, 2015, 04:41 AM
I can vouch for dry shampoo on fine hair! :agree: I workout nearly everyday of the week and I only wash my hair once a week. I dry shampoo whenever it's getting a bit rank or needs a volume boost. Alternatively, if I've done a super intense workout and sweat has built up at my nape, I just rinse that part off in the shower with no shampoo or conditioner, and just scrub at it with the water. Does the trick for me. :p

renia22
November 20th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Is there a chance there might be a scalp issue going on? Perhaps once you stop or reduce the co-washing and go back to shampoo, the scent that your hair/ scalp are giving off won't be so bad? I agree with others to try washing the scalp. Maybe try a regular shampoo, maybe even one with one of the gentler sulfates (SLES/ ALES), but without a bunch of moisturizing ingredients added. Then you could use a nice conditioner on the length that you are trying to grow out. Hopefully that will take care of the odor, and the dry shampoo suggestions will be enough for nighttime. You might also want to look into using a hydrosol on your scalp/ hair after working out. Good luck!

dancingrain91
November 20th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I am with the others on wash only after a workout or only in the morning. Just rinse at most after a workout and don't tell your husband. I do hard workouts and sweat like a whore in church, but if I rinse off the sweat in a cool shower (I usually just rinse the nape and temples and don't get my hair wet at all, I find those areas to be more problematic). I can get away with not washing my hair for three days. Just after workouts and after work (my job is smelly) I spritz my hair with a rosemary infusion and apply a leave in that smells good. I end up with nice smelling hair that's greasy. If my hair weren't so oily I would stretch my washes further.

Arctic
November 20th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I am someone who needs to wash, really wash my hair after workout (sweating), otherwise the sweat will irritate my skin (this goes to my whole body and not just scalp).

You might like a styling product called hair powder (or volume poder, etc). It's like is backcombing and dry shampoo had a baby on steroids. :thumbsup: I think you could get away with not washing in the morning with the help of it, if dry shampoo isn't enough.

katarzyncia
November 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Today I had day off so I have washed my hair only once with a shampoo and conditioner only on ends. Right now it is ok, we will see tomorrow morning. I am wondering if dry shampoo everyday is good idea? I think the one I have contains alcohol, so it can be damaging too. I am confused...hate my hair so much!

lapushka
November 20th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Today I had day off so I have washed my hair only once with a shampoo and conditioner only on ends. Right now it is ok, we will see tomorrow morning. I am wondering if dry shampoo everyday is good idea? I think the one I have contains alcohol, so it can be damaging too. I am confused...hate my hair so much!

Depends on what alcohol it is. Is it a drying alcohol or not? There is a difference, although when it comes in a spray can I doubt it's a moisturizing alcohol. Alcohol can be drying (which is good if you are oily), but that's all, it's not really damaging.

katarzyncia
November 20th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Alcohol denat. :( it is Aussie dry shampoo. But i haven't found a dry shampoo without it in Poland.

meteor
November 20th, 2015, 01:56 PM
^ Yes, it's the drying kind. And when dry shampoos *do* contain alcohol, it's the drying kind (the moisturizing kind would have to contribute to emollient texture, incompatible with dry shampoo).
You could actually make your own dry shampoo with something like clay (kaolin, bentonite, etc), cocoa powder (for brown hair), dried and powdered herbs... or you could buy dry shampoos (Etsy and health stores have lots of them, for example) that don't work like aerosols, but powders, in order to avoid alcohols and propellants.

It's still best to try not to leave it on for too long (more than a day or 2 max, preferably), because of build-up risk on scalp. Personally, I find diluting shampoo with water and scalp-only washes as a more hygienic alternative to dry shampoos. But dry shampoos can be more convenient when there is no water available or no time for drying.

Also, I think drying alcohols are fine if used in small enough amounts (and at low enough concentrations in well-formulated products) and maybe not too frequently...

In this study, drying alcohol was compared to SLS and it turned out to be less irritating:
How irritant is alcohol? - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17578437

Single and repetitive patch testing with 60-100% alcohols [ethanol, 1-propanol, 2-propanol (synonyms: isopropyl alcohol, isopropanol)], a positive control [0.5% sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS)] and negative controls (empty chamber and water) were performed. Wash tests were performed with 80% ethanol and 0.5% SLS on the forearms with each agent alone and with both agents in a tandem design. Skin hydration, erythema and barrier disruption [measured as transepidermal water loss (TEWL)] were evaluated.

[...]

We found no significant change in skin barrier or erythema induced by the alcohols in the patch tests, whereas skin hydration decreased significantly. Application of alcohols to previously irritated skin did not show a stronger skin barrier disruption than application of SLS alone. Wash tests demonstrated that alcohol application caused significantly less skin irritation than washing with a detergent. Even on previously irritated skin, ethanol did not enhance irritation. By contrast, a protective effect of ethanol used after skin washing was observed.
[...]
CONCLUSIONS:
Alcohol-based hand rubs cause less skin irritation than hand washing and are therefore preferred for hand hygiene from the dermatological point of view. An alcohol-based hand rub may even decrease rather than increase skin irritation after a hand wash due to a mechanical partial elimination of the detergent.
And here is a discussion on this study between Paula's Choice (in the "alcohol is bad for skin" camp) and TheBeautyBrains (who disagree) on this: https://www.facebook.com/notes/paulas-choice/the-alcohol-skincare-question-with-the-beauty-brains/10153538045479004

katarzyncia
November 20th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I mean it would be hard to apply dry shampoo only at scalp as long as I have short hair. But will see tomorrow morning what can I do. IF my hair look just a little fine it would be ok. But usually dry shampoo makes them dry and rigid and can't style this way :/

lapushka
November 20th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I mean it would be hard to apply dry shampoo only at scalp as long as I have short hair. But will see tomorrow morning what can I do. IF my hair look just a little fine it would be ok. But usually dry shampoo makes them dry and rigid and can't style this way :/

When I had pixie length hair, I needed to wash 3 times a week. When it hit APL-BSL, I could go 2/3x a week, and now at classic length I managed to stretch to one wash a week. It also gets better with length.

I would concentrate the dry shampoo on the scalp only, it's good that it dries out the oils there.

Obsidian
November 20th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I never could use dry shampoo, they leave my hair a tangly, nasty mess. I can however, use plain arrowroot powder and it only takes a tiny bit to cut down the oily appearance. My hair is blond so you can't see the powder, not sure how well it would work on darker hair. I have heard coco powder works ok on dark hair.

Co washing left my hair similar to yours, by then end of the day my hair was a gross greasy mess. I switched to a low sulfate shampoo for awhile then to a sulfate free, so much better now. I can go 3 days between washes if I can manage to keep my hands off my scalp.

RavenRose
November 20th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I never could use dry shampoo, they leave my hair a tangly, nasty mess. I can however, use plain arrowroot powder and it only takes a tiny bit to cut down the oily appearance. My hair is blond so you can't see the powder, not sure how well it would work on darker hair. I have heard coco powder works ok on dark hair.

Co washing left my hair similar to yours, by then end of the day my hair was a gross greasy mess. I switched to a low sulfate shampoo for awhile then to a sulfate free, so much better now. I can go 3 days between washes if I can manage to keep my hands off my scalp.

I too have used arrowroot and/or cornstarch in the past to absorb oil and odors... And 3 days is about right for me also with no sulfate poo...

katarzyncia
November 20th, 2015, 05:06 PM
I had deep depresion few months ago because of my hair. They were waist long, healthy, but black coloured with chemical dyes. Then I realized I would love to stop using chemical dyes and tried henna, indigo. I realy liked it, but few months later I decided I want to back to my natural color. I am medium blonde so I decided to lighten them a little and them stop coloring and growing out my natural color. I came to my hairdresser, she told me about this new Olaplex and told me that even IF they would be green she will neutralize this shade and I will have lighter HAIR. And what happen? My hair were totaly damaged and green. Nothing could cover this shade. I had to colour it black once again but most of them still were green. So to look like a human I had to cut them to chin length. They still aren't in the best condition. I have to cut them inch by inch every two months. So now I am totaly depressed.

1. Short hair (like never before)
2. Thin, fine and it doesn't look good. They always were, but now they look worst.
3. I can't grow them out cause I need to cut them all the time to remove those damaged parts.
4. I have to colour regrowths once a month.
5. I have damaged hair and still dark so I am standing in the same place but with dark and short hair.

I was crying few months and it is still hard to look at them. If they were thicker maybe they would look ok, but they are so thin, flat and lifeless that I don't realy know what to do now.

cat11
November 20th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Do you HAVE to wash your hair in the morning? Wouldn't it be enough to wash at night after your work out and then perhaps just style it in the morning?

My sister also had problems with hair so greasy that she though she needed to wash twice a day, turned out her scalp was panic-ing because of over washing. That could be the case.....
Yes this. I'd use a sulfate free shampoo and just wash at night. Getting it a little damp and combing it in to place should be enough to neaten it up in the morning.

RavenRose
November 20th, 2015, 05:13 PM
So sorry to hear about the hair dressor incident- did she not use a toner to correct the green?

Have you tried using a semi permanent or deposit only dye... these will be gentler on your hair, and will help soften a transition if you choose to grow out the natural.

lapushka
November 20th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Have you tried using a semi permanent or deposit only dye... these will be gentler on your hair, and will help soften a transition if you choose to grow out the natural.

This! ^^ I'd transition to a semi-permanent black, so you can grow out your natural color gradually.

Hope you'll be more happy with your hair shortly! It'll grow. Trust me, it will get better!

vega
November 20th, 2015, 05:25 PM
My HAIR is very thin, chin length, and scalp is very oily. Every morning I have to wash them and style. I don't use much heat, just cold air. Every evening I am working out hard, and my hair and scalp are wet. When I am taking a shower i have to wash them once again to be clean. I don't use shampoo - conditioner only, and then don't use anything else, and don't style. I am waiting to have them dry and go to the bed. Sometimes I put coconut then, and that is all. But after night I have to wash it once again to look like a human at work. I can't do any hairstyle, cause they are too short. I am wondering - is this ok or am I damaging them while washing 2 times a day this way?

What about dry shampoo?

Sparrowhg
November 20th, 2015, 07:59 PM
I had deep depresion few months ago because of my hair. They were waist long, healthy, but black coloured with chemical dyes. Then I realized I would love to stop using chemical dyes and tried henna, indigo. I realy liked it, but few months later I decided I want to back to my natural color. I am medium blonde so I decided to lighten them a little and them stop coloring and growing out my natural color. I came to my hairdresser, she told me about this new Olaplex and told me that even IF they would be green she will neutralize this shade and I will have lighter HAIR. And what happen? My hair were totaly damaged and green. Nothing could cover this shade. I had to colour it black once again but most of them still were green. So to look like a human I had to cut them to chin length. They still aren't in the best condition. I have to cut them inch by inch every two months. So now I am totaly depressed.

2. Thin, fine and it doesn't look good. They always were, but now they look worst.
3. I can't grow them out cause I need to cut them all the time to remove those damaged parts.
5. I have damaged hair and still dark so I am standing in the same place but with dark and short hair.

I was crying few months and it is still hard to look at them. If they were thicker maybe they would look ok, but they are so thin, flat and lifeless that I don't realy know what to do now.
Aww! My heart really goes out to you!! :flower::flower::flower: it will get better! It has to, it can't be so bad forever! I don't know how to help your hair problems, but there seems to be some good suggestions here to try. I know it's easier said than done.

papayatree
November 20th, 2015, 10:36 PM

3. I can't grow them out cause I need to cut them auull the time to remove those damaged parts.

Katarzyncia, I'm so sorry for you, I actually got a little depressed reading your story.

I agree with you Verdandi. Katarzyncia, I just don't see the point of washing your hair at night, then again in the Morning. I personally have always only washed my hair once a day, and I recently started Shampooing every other day, and I've noticed a difference in My Hair's Shinyness, and I did that through Marching Band Season. I recommend Less less washing and water only washes at least twice a week.

katarzyncia
November 21st, 2015, 01:34 AM
What do you mean about semi-permanent? Because i am using wella color touch right now and i though this is semi-permanent. But i wll still have to lighten it to start growing naturals :(

katarzyncia
November 21st, 2015, 02:54 AM
I just woke up and tried this dry shampoo and no luck. The biggest problem I think is when i wash my hair with CO or even shampoo and then put a conditioner they are silky, smooth and nice. After one night my hair are terribly dry at the ends and oily on the scalp. So when i used dry shampoo they are ok on the scalp, but those ends are terribly dry, lifeless and rigid. This is why i need to wash them and put conditioner. But today i don't change anything and will see IF they get any better with time or no .

Arctic
November 21st, 2015, 03:06 AM
How does your hairtype handle moistening your ends a bit in the morning (maybe mist with water or aloe vera juice, if your hair likes it) and adding little leave it on the ends. Maybe gently blowdry on cool. Then dry shampoo on scalp. This would help the ends stay moisturized. All hairtypes don't handle this well, though, when my air was fine, thin and straight with very oily scalp, my hair would have become dirty looking and limp. But my changed hair type (coarser, wavy) loves that kind of moisture boost, and it doesn't make it look dirty at all.

I also wonder about the products you use; maybe there are build-up issues or moisture/protein imbalances going on? They could all lead to weirdly behaving hair. Also what kind of water you have? Maybe that is effecting your hair too?

Did you have any of these problems before the hais catastrophe? Did you wash it twice aday even then?

(I'm sorry if I repeat stuff that has already been discussed: I have read the whole thread but it's been post by post, and not the whole thing right before writing this.)

lapushka
November 21st, 2015, 05:16 AM
What do you mean about semi-permanent? Because i am using wella color touch right now and i though this is semi-permanent. But i wll still have to lighten it to start growing naturals :(

A semi-permanent will wash out on its own after x-amount of washes. A permanent color won't do that, and you'll have to bleach it out. So make sure to use a semi-permanent. Do some research into what exactly you are using! And beware.

adrenaline
November 21st, 2015, 05:49 AM
Hey katarzyncia, first of all: Iīm sorry to hear your hair story! :flower: But I donīt think itīs something insoluble! :)

I know the problem about oily scalp and terribly dry tips only too good! Iīd join the advice to use diluted shampoo. I wonīt use conditioner in the washing procedure, but Iīd put afterwards some leave in (a nice cream or some pure butter/oil) onto the dry tips. You can try to apply it when the hair is still moist, but also when itīs dry (I donīt know which way may work better for you.) After the work out you can brush out the salts (that is what Iīm using to do after sports), and put some nice spray on your hair to get rid of the bad smell.

Btw Chagrin Valley has dry shampoos without alcohol: http://bit.ly/1XgwIYS

Best wishes for you and your hair! :heartbeat

nalgena
November 23rd, 2015, 04:12 PM
I just woke up and tried this dry shampoo and no luck. The biggest problem I think is when i wash my hair with CO or even shampoo and then put a conditioner they are silky, smooth and nice. After one night my hair are terribly dry at the ends and oily on the scalp. So when i used dry shampoo they are ok on the scalp, but those ends are terribly dry, lifeless and rigid. This is why i need to wash them and put conditioner. But today i don't change anything and will see IF they get any better with time or no .

First, not all dry shampoos are the same. I remember using one which was really good, but then it got discontinued. After that I tried Syoss, but it made my hair even greasier. So now I'm making my own dry shampoo and works great.

Second, if you want to stretch time between washes you need to know it will take some time. I used to wash my hair every other day and wanted to wash it less frequently. So I added one day at first and yes, my hair looked greasy. But I didn't give up, that's the key! U need to be patient. I covered it up with some dry shampoo and started wearing hats to work (and discovered that I'm a hat person yay!). Ok, to be honest, my hair did look rather bad for a few months, but now I can easily go without washing 3 days or even more.

Third, why do u need to dye regrowth? I thought u wanted natural color? If so, now is the best time to grow out your natural color, because your hair is short. Even if you use semi permanent dyes, chances are it will never completely wash out. I've been growing out semi permanent dye for almost two years now. It has faded substantially, but it definitely hasn't washed out. And it has dried out my hair because my hair is very fine and it is very prone to chemical damage.

Also, if your ends are very dry, try oiling them. And maybe start using natural bristle brushes so sebum gets distributed evenly throughout your hair.

Good luck and be patient

whimsicalfaerie
November 24th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Katarzyncia, I'm really sorry to hear about the dye problems you've had. I'm sure that was totally traumatic having to cut that much of your hair off.

I also have very fine hair and it goes flat very quickly, especially when it starts getting oily. I made a sea salt spray and when I need to stretch my hair a little longer between washes, I spray it upside down with a little of the salt spray. It adds a little texture and volume, and I think it also dries up a little of the oil. It might help you skip that morning wash without your hair being totally flat.

I used this recipe. My mixture has only water, sea salt and epsom salt, and aloe vera. I did not add any oils or conditioner because I was going for maximum texturization. http://wellnessmama.com/5054/beach-waves-hair-spray/

katarzyncia
November 24th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I can't totaly stop dying my regrowth because my natural hair color is blonde, and actually I am black. I was trying but it looks ugly. It is easier to grow out natural color IF you are lightening your hair but light regrowth looks like i am bald :/

lapushka
November 24th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I can't totaly stop dying my regrowth because my natural hair color is blonde, and actually I am black. I was trying but it looks ugly. It is easier to grow out natural color IF you are lightening your hair but light regrowth looks like i am bald :/

That is exactly why a semi-permanent is a great solution, IMMHO. Maybe look into it?

RavenRose
November 24th, 2015, 03:56 PM
If you actually are interested in regaining your natural color, Could you keep the dye on for less time, or progressively use a lighter shade of dye when touching up the roots, to transition into your natural? It would look like an intentional ombre, and still be professional.

My blonde roots against my henna also had that bald looking issue before I bleached it, I also have to keep up an professional image, so I know how it can be...

Isilme
November 24th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Be aware that some semi permanent dyes will not wash out, especially the darker ones. I once used a black semi that was supposed to wash out in 24 washes, didn't do that.

cathair
November 24th, 2015, 04:11 PM

If your roots are really greasy and you ends are really dry, have you end tried rubbing your ends into your roots to spread it out more evenly? You might benefit from using a boar bristle brush and spreading the oils out. It might speed balancing things out up a bit.

I agree with everyone else, if you try and shampoo with something not too harsh one a day you will probably find your hair becomes less greasy over time. Doing it in the evening after you have exercised makes sense. I would try to cut out the morning wash if I was in your position. I can't co wash at all, it looks greasier than before I washed it.

katarzyncia
November 25th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I have decided to stop washing myhair after workout. I just use leave-in conditioner in spray and some coconut oil on ends then I wash only in the morning. Will see what happen in a week or two.

Right now while dying my roots I am using semi-permanent. I had to read what semi-permanent mean and now I see that I am using this type of dye (wella color touch + 1,9% oxy). But it never rinse out :/ By the way 2 months ago I used 2/0 shade, and now I am using 3/0 shade and in few weeks i will try 4/0. SK maybe it won't look as bad as my natural regrowth.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2015, 11:58 AM
This is what I do to regain my natural colour - I am leaving the (permanent) dye on for less and less time (can no longer buy semi permanent dye here) and doing roots only each time I dye - always roots only. It is working beautifully and I don't really have a demarcation line. It is taking years, but I am just so happy at the way it is working for me. It looks natural, I think.

I am transitioning from blonde dye to my natural grey. All the grey you see in this photo still has blonde dye on it. Just it is only left for a minute developing time before being washed off, instead of 30 minutes like the instructions say. And it creates a more gradual transition/look.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF5626.jpg

adrenaline
November 25th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I have decided to stop washing myhair after workout. I just use leave-in conditioner in spray and some coconut oil on ends then I wash only in the morning. Will see what happen in a week or two.

I think thats a great plan, let us know if it worked for you :o

Sarahlabyrinth, your approach to grow out your dyed hair is very intelligent! I didnīt come to this idea explicitly, but I guess I did the same intuitively: I changed from chemical to herbal colours and so I created gradual coloured hair, too. But some day I just didnīt want to dye anymore, so I immediately stopped. :o Thats the radical way I think :D Is your hair really grey? My first thought was a beautiful ash blonde! The graduation looks very natural! :thumbsup:

lapushka
November 25th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Right now while dying my roots I am using semi-permanent. I had to read what semi-permanent mean and now I see that I am using this type of dye (wella color touch + 1,9% oxy). But it never rinse out :/ By the way 2 months ago I used 2/0 shade, and now I am using 3/0 shade and in few weeks i will try 4/0. SK maybe it won't look as bad as my natural regrowth.

Let us know how it goes in the mean time, check in once in a while, okay? :)

Semi-permanents don't rinse out, they wash out after x-number of washes *or* x-number of weeks, whatever comes first.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2015, 06:37 PM
I think thats a great plan, let us know if it worked for you :o

Sarahlabyrinth, your approach to grow out your dyed hair is very intelligent! I didnīt come to this idea explicitly, but I guess I did the same intuitively: I changed from chemical to herbal colours and so I created gradual coloured hair, too. But some day I just didnīt want to dye anymore, so I immediately stopped. :o Thats the radical way I think :D Is your hair really grey? My first thought was a beautiful ash blonde! The graduation looks very natural! :thumbsup:

I think it is grey/silver, whatever you want to call it. Whatever it is, I like the new/and old, colour. And thank you :flower:

katarzyncia
November 26th, 2015, 01:34 PM
It's great idea but grey/blonde are similiar colors and blonde/black not :/ but i will try to use lighter and lighter shades and maybe it would work.

JustPam
November 26th, 2015, 03:27 PM
It's great idea but grey/blonde are similiar colors and blonde/black not :/ but i will try to use lighter and lighter shades and maybe it would work.

I think that's probably the best idea, and I'm sure it will end up looking like a pretty sweet reverse ombre. In the meantime, why don't you join us over in the "growing out dye" thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155)? Lots of people there also transitioning back to their natural shade and sharing pics of their progress so you won't feel alone and weird :)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 26th, 2015, 04:40 PM

I'm sure it would work. I changed from dyeing my hair from a dark brown to the blonde so I could transition from the blonde to grey. If you look at my siggy pic you can see the ends of my hair still have the remains of the dark brown dye , though it is very much faded now. So I went from dark to light too, and am now gradually trimming off the darker ends.

Buttercup1223
November 26th, 2015, 07:03 PM

This is probably what I would do too and I have very fine, thin hair but there's no way I could do CO either. I would try just rinsing your hair in the evening to get the sweat out and see if that works. Some people also suggest to put dry shampoo on your roots before you go to bed so it actually works on soaking up the oils while you're sleeping. :)

Buttercup1223
November 26th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Oh and forgot to mention that I am very oily too. It's a struggle for me to skip a day washing.