PDA

View Full Version : Why do people get knots in their hair?

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 03:50 AM
I am wondering why it is that my hair is always knotting and what I can do about it?

I did a S&D and struggled to find any split ends at all - yet my hair is always knotting together at the ends.

I recently had 2 keratin treatments (a huge mistake - lost half my hair) and so am keen to preserve what I have.

My hair is wavy / curly, and so I only use a wide toothed comb, and comb from the ends when wet, but lately, I have taken a pre-emptive strike by detangling my dry hair with my fingers from the ends, ahead of wet combing it to further minimalse breakage.

However, I am amazed at how many tiny knots I have to untangle (a couple will need to be cut out but I'm waiting for my high quality scissors to arrive).

My plan, when the scissors arrive, is to cut 2 milimeters off the bottom of each hair. (So, I am not just trimming the ends, as that would miss about half my hair - I am trimming each strand.)

I realise this will take a very long amount of time - but I have time - and I think it is the best way to ensure my hair doesn't break or get knotty, and will give it the best chance of growing long.

Aside from how impractical this is, do you think this sounds like a sensible plan for the health of my hair and to avoid knots?

Once I've done this - I would then only ever do Search & Destroy and small trims of the ends. I just feel after the recent damage, each strand needs an initial trim.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Yes, single strand knots? Those are a PITA! The key is to detangle properly (comb/brush) *before* a wash and then to moisturize the living *heck* out of your hair once it gets washed, even if you have to do it multiple times. A good styling method (LOC) with good moisturizing products is key too. (links in signature)

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Yes, single strand knots? Those are a PITA! The key is to detangle properly (comb/brush) *before* a wash and then to moisturize the living *heck* out of your hair once it gets washed, even if you have to do it multiple times. A good styling method (LOC) with good moisturizing products is key too. (links in signature)

Yes, you're right - I've learned to detangle (then condition) before washing and conditioning (again). It's just annoying that my hair is so dry.

I am very interested in the trying the LOC method - but can you recommend a good cone free leave-in conditioner that might work well for 3B super-frizzy hair?

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 06:03 AM
I am very interested in the trying the LOC method - but can you recommend a good cone free leave-in conditioner that might work well for 3B super-frizzy hair?

No, but someone else might! I'm silicones all the way. :) Oh wait, I think the Shea Moisture line has amazing leave-in creams that are silicone free.

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 06:06 AM
No, but someone else might! I'm silicones all the way. :) Oh wait, I think the Shea Moisture line has amazing leave-in creams that are silicone free.

Funny you should say that - I am literally this minute reading about Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner!

Can I just ask why you're for silicones - what happened when you used cone free?

Seeshami
November 18th, 2015, 07:52 AM
His majesty ties knots in himself because he doesn't think I have anything better to do than untie him.

Arctic
November 18th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Are they single strand knots (fairy knots), multiple stand knots, or more like hairs sticking together like velcro type of knots?

The latter, espcially is often because of buildup, but probably buildup can affect other knot types too. I echo Lapushka, that moisturizing can help to prevent knotting. For some reason, some conditioners seem to encourage fairy knots in my hair, but I haven't really been able to identify why. (Also protein overload might cause knotting, and again, moisture should help with that.)

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Are they single strand knots (fairy knots), multiple stand knots, or more like hairs sticking together like velcro type of knots?

The latter, espcially is often because of buildup, but probably buildup can affect other knot types too. I echo Lapushka, that moisturizing can help to prevent knotting. For some reason, some conditioners seem to encourage fairy knots in my hair, but I haven't really been able to identify why. (Also protein overload might cause knotting, and again, moisture should help with that.)

Yes, it's definitely had protein overload - due to the keratin treatments that have lost me half my hair. Would Shea conditioner make that protein issue worse?

My knots are always multiple strand knots and they are always right at the ends of my hair - never anywhere else. Never had them prior to the keratin treatments.

Help! :-)

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Funny you should say that - I am literally this minute reading about Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner!

Can I just ask why you're for silicones - what happened when you used cone free?

Knot city, no joke! I can't with the tangles. I need the slip silicones give me. :)

Arctic
November 18th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Yes, it's definitely had protein overload - due to the keratin treatments that have lost me half my hair. Would Shea conditioner make that protein issue worse?

My knots are always multiple strand knots and they are always right at the ends of my hair - never anywhere else. Never had them prior to the keratin treatments.

Help! :-)

Let us know the ingredients :stirpot:

pailin
November 18th, 2015, 08:43 AM
I always figured hair tangles because that's its nature :) like cats chasing the laser pointer. And the sky being blue. Although some things certainly make tangles worse.
I agree with Lapushka, cones are fantastic for detangling, and anything you can do to make it easier to detangle will help you to limit damage.

Llama
November 18th, 2015, 08:48 AM
I don't know how it would be possible to cut each strand of hair individually...I mean, how would you be able to effectively separate the hairs you have already trimmed from the ones you have not?

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 09:01 AM
I don't know how it would be possible to cut each strand of hair individually...I mean, how would you be able to effectively separate the hairs you have already trimmed from the ones you have not?

Well, as soon as I'd done a few strands, I'd hold them with a hair slide and keep adding, until it needs to be held with a band, and continue until I'd cut every strand.

I mean wouldn't cutting each strand be a brilliant way of ensuring that each strand would grow to its full length without breakage?

Hair grows at different rates and times, so snipping off the ends is only going to help about 30-40% of your hair unless you already have unbreakable hair that is as thick at the ends as the top sections.

Also, when you cut a whole chunk of hair - a lock or curl of hair - the hairs, if you look closely, are all of differing lengths. So, by cutting just the ends, you either cut too much off the longer hairs, or ignore the shorter hairs. With my way, each strand would lose just 2 milimeters each - long hairs wouldn't be compromised to suit short hairs.

I would do this quarterly, and then it is a case of waiting for all the hairs to reach their terminal length. But it won't look uneven in the meantime as you are removing the same amount from each hair - so it will be as even as it is now.

Anyway, rationally speaking it makes sense as a way of really thickening the hair and ensuring long term growth - for anyone who has that crazy level of patience to be able to do it!!

bunneh.
November 18th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Why would you cut a completely healthy hair though? Wouldn't it be better to just pick those that are split or thinned out at the end and cut only those o.O Would be less of work as well and judging by the amount of hair humans have on their heads it would be impossible to cut every single strand of hair one by one in a few hours...

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Why would you cut a completely healthy hair though? Wouldn't it be better to just pick those that are split or thinned out at the end and cut only those o.O Would be less of work as well and judging by the amount of hair humans have on their heads it would be impossible to cut every single strand of hair one by one in a few hours...

Maybe my hair is weird (I can believe it) but it is clearly all dry and brittle and likes to knot at the ends....but I cannot, for the life of me, see split ends.

I guess I would be trimming the ends of each strand for the same reason people trim the ends of their hair - to maintain length in the long term. My hair has a real tendency to thin at the ends, the longer it gets, so I think this would really help.

I wonder if there is a thread on here about how to spot split ends? I mean you wouldn't think it would be hard but I can't do it, or just don't have any?!

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Well, as soon as I'd done a few strands, I'd hold them with a hair slide and keep adding, until it needs to be held with a band, and continue until I'd cut every strand.

I mean wouldn't cutting each strand be a brilliant way of ensuring that each strand would grow to its full length without breakage?

Hair grows at different rates and times, so snipping off the ends is only going to help about 30-40% of your hair unless you already have unbreakable hair that is as thick at the ends as the top sections.

Also, when you cut a whole chunk of hair - a lock or curl of hair - the hairs, if you look closely, are all of differing lengths. So, by cutting just the ends, you either cut too much off the longer hairs, or ignore the shorter hairs. With my way, each strand would lose just 2 milimeters each - long hairs wouldn't be compromised to suit short hairs.

I would do this quarterly, and then it is a case of waiting for all the hairs to reach their terminal length. But it won't look uneven in the meantime as you are removing the same amount from each hair - so it will be as even as it is now.

Anyway, rationally speaking it makes sense as a way of really thickening the hair and ensuring long term growth - for anyone who has that crazy level of patience to be able to do it!!

Oooh yikes, that does sound like you're cutting way too much off for what it is. Can't you work through the tangles. Maybe try silicones, they are awesome for this purpose and automatically limit damage as pailin already mentioned!

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Oooh yikes, that does sound like you're cutting way too much off for what it is. Can't you work through the tangles. Maybe try silicones, they are awesome for this purpose and automatically limit damage as pailin already mentioned!

Huh?! I haven't done it yet so I can't have cut off too much hair! I haven't cut any at all! :confused::D

I don't think 2 millimetres is too much in anyone's book, though? That's less than half a centimetre.

I use silicon conditioner already - I use Aveda Invati conditioner - (I've never not used a silicon conditioner but I was thinking cone free would be better for my hair, but sounds like it would just increase the knottiness).

Sounds like given I've tried silcon conditioners, that isn't the solution. My hair must be damaged at the ends - hence the knotting? That's why I want to trim the ends of each strand.

Never had knots prior to keratin, so it's not my normal hair's behaviour, you see - must be damaged. Not sure you can repair damaged ends.

Arctic
November 18th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I like the method where you take a lock of hair, twist it, and snip any hairs that are sticking out.

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Huh?! I haven't done it yet so I can't have cut off too much hair! I haven't cut any at all! :confused::D

I don't think 2 millimetres is too much in anyone's book, though? That's less than half a centimetre.

I use silicon conditioner already - I use Aveda Invati conditioner - (I've never not used a silicon conditioner but I was thinking cone free would be better for my hair, but sounds like it would just increase the knottiness).

Sounds like given I've tried silcon conditioners, that isn't the solution. My hair must be damaged at the ends - hence the knotting? That's why I want to trim the ends of each strand.

Never had knots prior to keratin, so it's not my normal hair's behaviour, you see - must be damaged. Not sure you can repair damaged ends.

Oh my bad, I thought you'd already cut it. :o

One silicone conditioner isn't like the next. It depends, sometimes. The Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is an excellent detangler for me personally. YMMV, of course. Just to compare notes.

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Oh my bad, I thought you'd already cut it. :o

One silicone conditioner isn't like the next. It depends, sometimes. The Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is an excellent detangler for me personally. YMMV, of course. Just to compare notes.

Well, you know what? You mentioned Shea Moisture -which I happened to be looking at on Amazon at the time (you may be psychic!) - and... guess what? My hair heroes - C.H. (3B) and Spring (3C/4A) both were discussing this line and enthusiastic about trying it, specifically the Restorative Conditioner.

I've taken it all as a sign - I've bought it and will report back!

It did have fantastic reviews on Amazon. And they both have my dream hair (although they haven't updated their profiles in a while) and since I'm a 3B/3C what they have feels achievable. Have sent Spring a private message to see if she'll share her latest secrets!

Both C.H. and Spring have long shiny, healthy straightened hair. I do not know how they do it. But I'm so eager to learn!

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I hope you have a great result. Keep us posted!!!

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I like the method where you take a lock of hair, twist it, and snip any hairs that are sticking out.

That's very interesting. Does the fact that the hair sticks out when twisted mean that those bits are damaged then?

That would be an easier method as long as I only twist small sections so I don't miss anything.

Christine_O
November 18th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I don't know an awful lot about dry hair, since mine tends toward greasy, but I never ever comb or brush my hair when it's wet. I finger comb while the conditioner is still on and while my hair is still under water and that's it until the whole thing dries. The mats that I find from combing wet hair don't exist after it's dried. Of course if you're having problems from using the wrong thing on your hair it will be brittle feeling and tend to velcro together. I did that to my hair when I was experimenting with different products. It took about a month of extra time between washings, extra conditioning, and oil treatments for my hair to recover.

Arctic
November 18th, 2015, 12:24 PM
That's very interesting. Does the fact that the hair sticks out when twisted mean that those bits are damaged then?

That would be an easier method as long as I only twist small sections so I don't miss anything.

So they say, that damaged ends stick out. I don't really believe it, to be honest - on the other hand I don't really have damaged hair, only occasional broken end, fairy knot, or bent end). On me, it's my coarse, wiry hairs that stick out, they are healthy but can feel and look a bit rough. I find it helpful for the overall feel of my hair to snip these sticking out, shorter hair strands every now and then a little. Makes my hair feel really good to the touch. I'm a big fan of regular trims, but of course the short hairs aren't getting trimmed with the hemline, and this method helps to keep them fresh as well.

Yes this method is really easy and fast (compared to normal S&D or the method you were considering). I don't even stop to see if the sticking out ends need it or not, I just snip a little bit of them all. You can go slower too, and snip only damaged ends. Not every hair gets dusted at one session this way (same can be said of the normal S&D), but if you do it regularly, eventually more and more different hairs are likely to get dusted.

Yarrow
November 18th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I know it sounds really odd, but for me its definetly those cheap polyester filled pillows. It doesn't matter if there is a satin cover on it or not, those things cause my hair to tangle like crazy. Once it was so bad, I had to ask my mom to detangle it for me and she spent like half an hour on it at least.
If I wear a silk head cover for sleeping, it does help but it still tangles, although not as bad. Oiling also helps. But for my hair its best just to skip those pillows and use different ones. combined with oiling, my hair will hardly tangle at all and is much easier to handle and comb through.

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 01:53 PM

No those bits sticking out are normal, something that you'll always have - so it's useless cutting into them. There's only damage if there is a split or white dot up the shaft of the hair.

Hairkay
November 18th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I do s & d, I have my hair plaited/braided and I check the ends to see what needs cutting. I also check part way up the plait to see if any sticking out ends that are split and get rid of them. I get single strand knots. My hair curls are tighter in spirals/corkscrews. I don't use manufactured hair products due to allergies plus I water wash so I stick to using a few oils on damp hair. I tend to keep my hair plaited/braided or tied up rather than leaving it loose most times because that will make the ssks more likely to happen. I finger detangle carefully on wet/damp hair. Curly hair is naturally easy to knot up.

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I do s & d, I have my hair plaited/braided and I check the ends to see what needs cutting. I also check part way up the plait to see if any sticking out ends that are split and get rid of them. I get single strand knots. My hair curls are tighter in spirals/corkscrews. I don't use manufactured hair products due to allergies plus I water wash so I stick to using a few oils on damp hair. I tend to keep my hair plaited/braided or tied up rather than leaving it loose most times because that will make the ssks more likely to happen. I finger detangle carefully on wet/damp hair. Curly hair is naturally easy to knot up.

This is a bit random of me, but I've noticed on this forum we're very keen on plaits as well as other hair styles. I was talking to my NHS dermatologist yesterday and explaining that I don't do anything damaging to my hair right now - as she was advising me to be careful.

Her response was to say - yes, but often people think they are not doing damage by doing things like plaiting their hair and actually that is damaging to your hair.

I don't plait my hair, but I was surprised to hear this as I understood that plaiting hair was a protective style. I'm sure it's okay once in a while, but if you want to keep your hair in good condition maybe don't do it too often?

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 03:12 PM
This is a bit random of me, but I've noticed on this forum we're very keen on plaits as well as other hair styles. I was talking to my NHS dermatologist yesterday and explaining that I don't do anything damaging to my hair right now - as she was advising me to be careful.

Her response was to say - yes, but often people think they are not doing damage by doing things like plaiting their hair and actually that is damaging to your hair.

I don't plait my hair, but I was surprised to hear this as I understood that plaiting hair was a protective style. I'm sure it's okay once in a while, but if you want to keep your hair in good condition maybe don't do it too often?

It all depends on how you braid. Tiny braids all over are potentially damaging, depending on how they are done, but one loose braid over the entirety of your hair, can't be damaging.

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I know it sounds really odd, but for me its definetly those cheap polyester filled pillows. It doesn't matter if there is a satin cover on it or not, those things cause my hair to tangle like crazy. Once it was so bad, I had to ask my mom to detangle it for me and she spent like half an hour on it at least.
If I wear a silk head cover for sleeping, it does help but it still tangles, although not as bad. Oiling also helps. But for my hair its best just to skip those pillows and use different ones. combined with oiling, my hair will hardly tangle at all and is much easier to handle and comb through.

Interesting! I'm sure you're right. I have switched from a cotton pillowcase to a silk one, and it has helped my hair a lot - but I don't doubt that using a different type of pillow would help even further.

You don't mention what type of different pillows you use. I would definitely try it if you can recommend a particular type.

It's amazing the useful and unexpected stuff you learn on here!

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 03:20 PM
No those bits sticking out are normal, something that you'll always have - so it's useless cutting into them. There's only damage if there is a split or white dot up the shaft of the hair.

I am sadly all too aware that pretty much the bottom third of my hair is all damaged. I know I don't have split ends or white dots everywhere, just a few knots - but - it's the texture - it is so dry and brittle feeling.

In short, it is so different to the hair growing near my scalp - it grew very fast thanks to Daktarin and / or castor oil, so I now have lots of thick shiny curly hair bulking up under my thin frzzy wavy keratin-ed hair.

I guess what I'm saying is - when hair is in bad condition generally, can you ever really go wrong by dusting the ends?

Even the hair that isn't split or knotty is destined to become so - since it's dry and frizzy and feels bad. Bent in funny ways too. I guess my thought is - if I stop it in its tracks by dusting it all over, it will prevent more havoc / knots / breakage.

I am being proactive perhaps!

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I am sadly all too aware that pretty much the bottom third of my hair is all damaged. I know I don't have split ends or white dots everywhere, just a few knots - but - it's the texture - it is so dry and brittle feeling.

In short, it is so different to the hair growing near my scalp - it grew very fast thanks to Daktarin and / or castor oil, so I now have lots of thick shiny curly hair bulking up under my thin frzzy wavy keratin-ed hair.

I guess what I'm saying is - when hair is in bad condition generally, can you ever really go wrong by dusting the ends?

Even the hair that isn't split or knotty is destined to become so - since it's dry and frizzy and feels bad. Bent in funny ways too. I guess my thought is - if I stop it in its tracks by dusting it all over, it will prevent more havoc / knots / breakage.

I am being proactive perhaps!

Could be. Otherwise, you may want to join the microtrimming thread? :)

Suzysu
November 18th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Could be. Otherwise, you may want to join the microtrimming thread? :)

Trust me, I'm reading it! It is one heck of a long thread....

Arctic
November 18th, 2015, 04:07 PM
You could try the twisting&snipping method for few small-ish locks of hair, and see how you like it. No harm done if you decide it's not for you. If you try it, pay special attention to how your hair feels before and after.

Hairkay
November 18th, 2015, 04:43 PM

Oh but I do use plaits often. All girls I grew up with also used this daily. I grew up using them every single day. Plaiting too tightly will cause damage and not changing up hair styles for too long will cause a problem. I don't do that so it's fine for me. Plaiting keeps my 3c/4a hair in good condition otherwise I'll get more knots and my hair dries out and the ends break off more easily. I guess that dermatologist is ignorant of caring for afro hair.

MeAndTheMaz
November 19th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Gosh. Four pages in, and no one has suggested clarifying. Might have missed something, or maybe it's just not indicated in this instance, but usually when my unruly mop gets that velcro-y thing going on, a good clarify helps a good bit.

Suzysu
November 20th, 2015, 02:06 AM
Gosh. Four pages in, and no one has suggested clarifying. Might have missed something, or maybe it's just not indicated in this instance, but usually when my unruly mop gets that velcro-y thing going on, a good clarify helps a good bit.

Hey, thanks! I have started using Aveda Shampure which I'm told is as good as a clarifying shampoo so maybe this will work in time - I've only used it once.

Yeah, prior to the keratin treatments, my hair never, never stuck together at the ends, so there is an argument for the idea that the products is still on my hair and causing this to happen. However, the way to get rid of keratin treatments is sulphate shampoos - and I'd done so and washed my hair at least 10 times since.

I've now slowed down to once a week and today will be washing my hair with Shampure for the second time - maybe it will help.

Suzysu
November 20th, 2015, 02:12 AM
Oh but I do use plaits often. All girls I grew up with also used this daily. I grew up using them every single day. Plaiting too tightly will cause damage and not changing up hair styles for too long will cause a problem. I don't do that so it's fine for me. Plaiting keeps my 3c/4a hair in good condition otherwise I'll get more knots and my hair dries out and the ends break off more easily. I guess that dermatologist is ignorant of caring for afro hair.

Well, yes, but I guess it's hard to plait without stretching the hair to some extent? But if you've been doing it for years without issue, it's obviously working for you. I do think my dermatologist made a fair comment because since she said that I've been looking around at anyone with plaits, and quite often they do have a receding hairline. And yes, it tends to be where there are multiple plaits - not just one or two.

Of course, you could argue that it could be from other things.

Also, why is it specific to plaits like she said? Tight hairstyles - like a tight pony tail - would surely have the same effect. But maybe she meant that plaits weaken the hair (just by virtue of being stretched hair) and wasn't talking about the hairline at all.

I will ask her next time as I'm curious.