PDA

View Full Version : What is the most terrible thing to ever get caught in your hair?

maborosi
November 17th, 2015, 09:55 PM
What is the worst thing to ever get caught in your hair?

This summer, we had an huge infestation of these guys (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug#/media/File:Lovebugs.jpg)- lovebugs.
They were absolutely -everywhere- and when they get smashed (wherever it may be) they tend to leave a stain- their bodies are acidic, so anyone who had to deal with driving around these things can testify that they are not fun to clean off your windshield.

I was kind of a fool one nice windy day and...You can see where this is going.
Icky bug bits tangled up in my hair for a long time- not easy to get out, either.
It certainly made me think twice before ever wearing my hair down on a nice day, that's for sure.

syndel
November 17th, 2015, 10:14 PM
For me it was a small bird. I do not recommend it.

Vrindi
November 17th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Fish. (I was snorkeling.) But the worst would have to be a palmetto bug. If you live in the South, you know. If you don't, it's a 3-inch flying cockroach from Hell.

irodaryne
November 17th, 2015, 10:22 PM
For me it was a small bird. I do not recommend it.

I just... how?

Fish. (I was snorkeling.) But the worst would have to be a palmetto bug. If you live in the South, you know. If you don't, it's a 3-inch flying cockroach from Hell.

Oh god, at that point I would have shaved my head and given it the hair as an offering of peace. And then run away screaming.

The worst thing I ever got stuck in my hair...... A toy truck or something (you could tell how well a person knew me by if they got me barbies or hotwheels) and my hair got stuck in the wheels. Can you say ouch? Almost as bad are those circular brushes from hell. My mom had one and I went to use it and then I couldn't get it out.

maborosi
November 17th, 2015, 10:25 PM
I just... how?

Oh god, at that point I would have shaved my head and given it the hair as an offering of peace. And then run away screaming.

The worst thing I ever got stuck in my hair...... A toy truck or something (you could tell how well a person knew me by if they got me barbies or hotwheels) and my hair got stuck in the wheels. Can you say ouch? Almost as bad are those circular brushes from hell. My mom had one and I went to use it and then I couldn't get it out.

Those evil brushes...I remember getting one caught in my sister's hair when I was a little kid.

Ohhhh god thinking about it makes me cringe.

syndel
November 17th, 2015, 10:41 PM
I just... how?

My friend got a parakeet, it took a liking to me and after sitting on my shoulder peacefully for a while, it suddenly decided to burrow itself into my hair and got tangled. The bird and I both awkwardly realized what had transpired. It panicked. I panicked. I tried to gently and delicately save it from my tresses. It unleashed winged chirpy death upon me in response and started flailing. My friend and I managed to get it out sometime later with no physical damage to the animal or myself... but suffice to say the bird and I are no longer on speaking terms.

Nadine <3
November 17th, 2015, 10:55 PM
An RC car. My brother thought it was funny to mess up my hair by holding the car to my head and turning it on so the wheels spin. My hair got soooo wrapped around the wheels... had to cut it out right at the scalp and I ended up with a pixie cut.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 17th, 2015, 11:14 PM
A bee flew into my hair whilst I was driving. I figured that it got itself in there, it can get itself out. And it did, and I was happy and the bee was happy and no harm done.

Oh and Nadine, your hair is growing so fast! :)

jazzhands
November 17th, 2015, 11:21 PM
A thistle. My neighbourhood is teeming with tall thistle bushes, they're the bane of my dog's existence (and mine). Impossible to get out once they really get in there, had to chop off some of my hair.
Also a bat this one time, but the wee fella managed to untangle himself fairly easily so it wasn't a big deal.

goneJackal
November 17th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Fire. Twice. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_ajuda.gif http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_facepalm.gif

jazzhands
November 17th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Fire. Twice. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_ajuda.gif http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_facepalm.gif

Good god, how did that happen? :scared:

irodaryne
November 17th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Those evil brushes...I remember getting one caught in my sister's hair when I was a little kid.

Ohhhh god thinking about it makes me cringe.

They aren't so bad if you've got a pixie cut with a longer top, but once the top bit gets too long they go back to being pure evil.

My friend got a parakeet, it took a liking to me and after sitting on my shoulder peacefully for a while, it suddenly decided to burrow itself into my hair and got tangled. The bird and I both awkwardly realized what had transpired. It panicked. I panicked. I tried to gently and delicately save it from my tresses. It unleashed winged chirpy death upon me in response and started flailing. My friend and I managed to get it out sometime later with no physical damage to the animal or myself... but suffice to say the bird and I are no longer on speaking terms.

That must have been traumatizing for both you and the bird

shudder:

goneJackal
November 18th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Good god, how did that happen? :scared:

Power loss. Lights went out.
Me and my sister were alone at home.
The candles were in the bathroom, in a drawer we had to crouch or bend to get to.
I bent myself, picked one up, put on top of the sink, lightened it up.

Then I bent myself again.

When I stood up, I saw myself in the mirror.
Myself, my flaming hair and my sister screaming.

http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_gargalhada.gif

That happened twice, months apart.
And never again. Not that I got any smarter since then - we just moved the candle box elsewhere!

Fortunately, that was about 15 years ago and I had a buzz cut back then. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_sorriso.gif

diddiedaisy
November 18th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Never had any insects or small animals stuck hehe but I did used to get my heated brush stuck in my hair. One time it was so tangled I had to go next door and ask my neighbour for help. It took about 15 minutes to remove it!!! Oh the joys of heated tools :)

pailin
November 18th, 2015, 12:21 AM
I lit mine on fire from a birthday cake. My own. At 19, not 5!

Shia
November 18th, 2015, 01:00 AM
I cut a motorised Thomas train out of my three year old's hair just last week. He wasn't phased by it, but it was well and truly stuck in there! I had to cut a chunk off at his scalp :S

hanne jensen
November 18th, 2015, 02:08 AM
A rose bush. The whole bush. I was visiting my neighbor who had a very tall climbing rose that filled an archway into his garden. When I walked under it the thorns caught in my bun. I had to stand there and holler for help as I couldn't move at all.

Zwaluw
November 18th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Fire as well here, thankfully before I started growing it out.

Stray_mind
November 18th, 2015, 03:04 AM
A circular brush from hell.... Had to cut it out. It was horrible.

Night_Kitten
November 18th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Velcro rollers :run:

I put Velcro rollers in my then BSL hair... After a while I attempted to take them out to see if my hair already has nice pretty waves... Only the rollers had other ideas...
It took me hours to get them out, fortunately I managed to do it without having to cut chunks of hair (though a good amount of hair was ripped mid-strand in the process)... The "do" I ended up with was certainly unusual, even though not cute or pretty, lol, detangling that mess was no fun either...
NEVER going anywhere near those again, EVER!

Shock and D'aww
November 18th, 2015, 04:18 AM
A comb. I was a kid and had the brilliant idea to twist it so my hair wrapped around it multiple times. Of course then I couldn't get it out again and we had to cut it out...:rolleyes:

dogzdinner
November 18th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Probably a lit match.

Although maybe a rat?? Some people might find them terrible but I used to keep pet rats and they would love to snuggle and fall asleep on your shoulder all tangled in your hair! (so cute I could even forgive the odd accidental pee!!LOL:o).

hennalonghair
November 18th, 2015, 05:28 AM
Gum..........

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Err, a spider, while in a bun. Try getting that out when it's somewhere in the thickness of your strands. Ouch, ouch, pulling, ouch.

Pol
November 18th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Circular brush for me too - also had to cut it out. Also, a degu (I have four pet degus - sort of like a cross between a chinchilla and a gerbil!), but that was more amusing than alarming. I think he was trying to build a nest! I also got gloss (wood) paint in my hair once, just smallish specks thankfully, but that took ages to wash out! I'm talking months!

sweetaj
November 18th, 2015, 09:37 AM
An incompetent stylist's scissors! (Thankfully, the universe paid her back when my father-in-law accidentally smashed into her pretty Lexus, no injuries to either!)

restless
November 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Im sorry to hear you and the little creature are no longer friends, but... this story is hilarious :D

On topic: I thought I had repressed this memory long ago, but its all coming back to me now as I read this thread. As a kid I once decided I wanted to make beautiful curls in my APL-ish hair by using a round brush blow dryer. I took a huge strand of hair, wrapped it up as much as I could and turned on the heat. Then it was time to remove it... :shake:

TheAmberWing
November 18th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Chewing gum back when I was little, we got most of it out but my mum still had to cut a bit of hair to remove the last of it :(

Dewdrop
November 18th, 2015, 10:48 AM
A parandi braid from hell! I am usually too cheap to buy actul wool and not just the acrylic 'knitting yarn' but my mom had this beautiful duksy pink yarn left over and I figured I could make a parandi out of it. And it was pretty glorious, only our shower wasn't working properly so I couldn't wash my hair. I therefore left my French braid in for a little over a week because the grease was not visible 'on the outside' and it still looked presentble in a bun. My gosh... Let's just say that natural fibers want to felt together!
That was the last parandi I've ever used. My hair is still terrified :P.

Deborah
November 18th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Bubble gum. I was a child, and that great big pink blob had to be cut out, along with a substantial chunk of my hair. I had, of course, tried to pull it out myself before showing Mum, making it much worse than if I had gone to her right away.

Ah, childhood.

Razzles
November 18th, 2015, 11:27 AM

This happened at my joint 18th birthday party to my friend. She had her hair curled and hair sprayed, mine was up, we leaned over to blow out our candles and her hair went POOF! We got a great photo of it too, as the flames licked up her head. She was ok but the smell of singed hair was gross.

The worst thing to get stuck in my hair was bubble gum at age 8. EDWARD WITHERSPOON (I will never forget!) was sitting behind me and decided to stick it in my hair. The teacher tried so hard to get it out but eventually had to cut that bit of hair off :(

Vrindi
November 18th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I just... how?

Pretty much. Although not as bad as the banana spider that landed on my head. Since it didn't get tangled in my hair, I didn't include it. But I was ready to drown in a spring just to try to get away from it. For reference, here (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5d/42/ae/5d42ae41d2e442d1ab9776cc6affeb1a.jpg)is a Florida banana spider. That link is NOT for the faint of heart!

A thistle. My neighbourhood is teeming with tall thistle bushes, they're the bane of my dog's existence (and mine). Impossible to get out once they really get in there, had to chop off some of my hair.
Also a bat this one time, but the wee fella managed to untangle himself fairly easily so it wasn't a big deal.

I got hit in the head by a bat! We both fell backwards on the sidewalk. I screamed, he screamed, we both flew off in opposite directions. No one was injured.

turtlelover
November 18th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Mine got caught in a bed frame cleaning underneath my bed.

Hairkay
November 18th, 2015, 11:48 AM
I really can't recall anything stuck in my hair. I do however remember the time I had to help unstick my niece from the black berries bushes when she got caught by her hair. We were berry picking at the time.

Olavi
November 18th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I think spruce resin :/ Sticky and pretty much impossible to get out.

Arctic
November 18th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Only a boring round brush. :) And I'd like to keep it that way in the future too, ha ha :D

Christine_O
November 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Err, a spider, while in a bun. Try getting that out when it's somewhere in the thickness of your strands. Ouch, ouch, pulling, ouch.

Which reminds me of why the high Marie Antoinette-style hairdos didn't last.

For me it was a tree. I know my hair was only tangled in a few branches, but I'd climbed halfway up the tree before getting myself in that predicament, so yes I had the whole tree to contend with. I believe I ripped the hairs out and left them as an offering to the tree.

Anje
November 18th, 2015, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I've gotten the latch mechanism of a screen door at least once.

Otherwise, cat puke.

missblueeyes
November 18th, 2015, 01:01 PM
My hair got caught behind the centerpiece of a flexi. I didn't get it out, not even with the help of two friends. :/ I ended up ripping off a couple of hairs.

Rushli
November 18th, 2015, 01:13 PM
My hair got caught behind the centerpiece of a flexi. I didn't get it out, not even with the help of two friends. :/ I ended up ripping off a couple of hairs.

the only thing that has taken me more than a min to undo was a flexi... well, unless we are counting puke... TMI but triscut puke takes FOREVER to get out.

irodaryne
November 18th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Fortunately, that was about 15 years ago and I had a buzz cut back then. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_sorriso.gif

At least it was before you started to grow out your hair?

A circular brush from hell.... Had to cut it out. It was horrible.

They're evil. Pure evil.

Pretty much. Although not as bad as the banana spider that landed on my head. Since it didn't get tangled in my hair, I didn't include it. But I was ready to drown in a spring just to try to get away from it. For reference, here (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5d/42/ae/5d42ae41d2e442d1ab9776cc6affeb1a.jpg)is a Florida banana spider. That link is NOT for the faint of heart!

Hahahahaha nope, I'm outtie. I'm from Arizona, so we don't have banana spiders, but I've heard stories. However palmetto bugs, tarantulas, black widows, and bark scorpions we have aplenty. Thankfully I've had the good fortune of never having one of those in my hair. (Though a few years before I moved from Arizona to Oregon, my house would get regular bark scorpion invasions. Finding one of those anywhere near where you sleep is bad enough, I don't even want to imagine finding one in my hair)

Only a boring round brush. :) And I'd like to keep it that way in the future too, ha ha :D

Hey those things aren't boring, they're terrifying. They make young girls, long haired dogs, and longhairs shiver with fear in all corners of the world. (My dog once got one stuck in her fur. There was a horrible incident involving a round brush, my dog's tail, and a lot of yarn. I don't think she fully trusts me to this day)

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Which reminds me of why the high Marie Antoinette-style hairdos didn't last.

For me it was a tree. I know my hair was only tangled in a few branches, but I'd climbed halfway up the tree before getting myself in that predicament, so yes I had the whole tree to contend with. I believe I ripped the hairs out and left them as an offering to the tree.

Who knows, maybe the birds can make a nest from the hair you left behind. ;) :p :D

Vrindi
November 18th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Hahahahaha nope, I'm outtie. I'm from Arizona, so we don't have banana spiders, but I've heard stories. However palmetto bugs, tarantulas, black widows, and bark scorpions we have aplenty. Thankfully I've had the good fortune of never having one of those in my hair. (Though a few years before I moved from Arizona to Oregon, my house would get regular bark scorpion invasions. Finding one of those anywhere near where you sleep is bad enough, I don't even want to imagine finding one in my hair)

I live in AZ now. I saw one tarantula when we were on a night shoot and spent the rest of the shoot on top of the car. This summer I found a 1" scorpion in the bathroom sink and informed my husband that we were moving that night. hahaha. I've been fortunate in the number of creepy-crawlies I haven't seen here, and fortunate enough to see plenty of really cool creatures. Except for that one time I nearly stepped bare foot into a nest of vipers (again, another video shoot.) I saw the ground move under where my foot was about to go. Ugh.

And those round brushes! NO! Why do they even exist!

A while ago I tried to do headband curls on classic-length hair. I ended up having to cut the headband apart to get it out. Do not attempt if your hair is longer than maybe waist-length.

irodaryne
November 18th, 2015, 03:05 PM
I live in AZ now. I saw one tarantula when we were on a night shoot and spent the rest of the shoot on top of the car. This summer I found a 1" scorpion in the bathroom sink and informed my husband that we were moving that night. hahaha. I've been fortunate in the number of creepy-crawlies I haven't seen here, and fortunate enough to see plenty of really cool creatures. Except for that one time I nearly stepped bare foot into a nest of vipers (again, another video shoot.) I saw the ground move under where my foot was about to go. Ugh.

And those round brushes! NO! Why do they even exist!

A while ago I tried to do headband curls on classic-length hair. I ended up having to cut the headband apart to get it out. Do not attempt if your hair is longer than maybe waist-length.

If the 1" scorpion was a light tan color with a slightly darker body, it was a bark scorpion. Try not to get stung, it's not fun. They do, however, taste delicious. They've got this nice nutty flavor.

Usually if you keep up with regular visits from Mr. Exterminator you're fine and won't see many bugs. The reason my house would get invaded was because some idiots down the street would sweep their grass clippings into the gutter and made a nice swampy environment for cockroaches (which scorpions love to eat). And then some neighbors moved in next to use and put date palms in their front yard, AKA the cockroaches natural habitat. Which brought the cockroaches and scorpions our way, no matter how often Mr. Bug Spray came by.

Arctic
November 18th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Hey those things aren't boring, they're terrifying. They make young girls, long haired dogs, and longhairs shiver with fear in all corners of the world. (My dog once got one stuck in her fur. There was a horrible incident involving a round brush, my dog's tail, and a lot of yarn. I don't think she fully trusts me to this day)

Ha ha, somehow I just gained new respect to both round brushes, and to myself. I mean, I was a hero back then, fighting against the Mighty Round Brush!

lapushka
November 18th, 2015, 03:14 PM
If the 1" scorpion was a light tan color with a slightly darker body, it was a bark scorpion. Try not to get stung, it's not fun. They do, however, taste delicious. They've got this nice nutty flavor.

Nooo. Really? OMG. Yuck. I can't bear to think of that. :lol:

Vrindi
November 18th, 2015, 03:28 PM

Usually if you keep up with regular visits from Mr. Exterminator you're fine and won't see many bugs. The reason my house would get invaded was because some idiots down the street would sweep their grass clippings into the gutter and made a nice swampy environment for cockroaches (which scorpions love to eat). And then some neighbors moved in next to use and put date palms in their front yard, AKA the cockroaches natural habitat. Which brought the cockroaches and scorpions our way, no matter how often Mr. Bug Spray came by.

It was red and evil-looking. And I will not be eating them! :P

irodaryne
November 18th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Ha ha, somehow I just gained new respect to both round brushes, and to myself. I mean, I was a hero back then, fighting against the Mighty Round Brush!

Exactly! You fought and vanquished the evil round brush

Nooo. Really? OMG. Yuck. I can't bear to think of that. :lol:

It was red and evil-looking. And I will not be eating them! :P

You can buy little scorpion suckers in most convenience stores in Arizona. They cut off the stinger and the first tail segment from the stinger (where it goes number one and number two from) and they're raised in sterile environments. They're really not that bad, and it's satisfying to make them go crunch. Kind of like a "take THAT you bastard! You see this? This is what happens to scorpions who get in my way!" I like to think it makes them think twice about bothering you.

I've still got a scorpion sucker or two somewhere.

Then again, I've always very adventurous when it comes to food.

Ashflower89
November 18th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I always thought gum was the worst thing to get in your hair, sounds like 99% of victims of that problem absolutely have to cut some hair to get it all out. But if you're asking for personal experience, getting the muck from stagnant lake water out was pretty awful a few summers ago. And fire is never fun, I've burned my hair several times from the sparks at my factory job.

kikuhoshi
November 18th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I went to sleep at my ex's house one night, with my hair down because my hairtie had broken earlier and I couldn't easily fetch another one. Well, during the night, I woke up swearing my ex has bern playing with my hair, but he was fast asleep. When I woke up, I brushed out my hair and found a dead little wolf spider. I freaked out, called a friend into the room and we searched my hair (and hers) just to be safe. At that point, I went home & took a nice hot shower. Nope nope nope.

Clarkie
November 18th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Velcro rollers :run:

I put Velcro rollers in my then BSL hair... After a while I attempted to take them out to see if my hair already has nice pretty waves... Only the rollers had other ideas...
It took me hours to get them out, fortunately I managed to do it without having to cut chunks of hair (though a good amount of hair was ripped mid-strand in the process)... The "do" I ended up with was certainly unusual, even though not cute or pretty, lol, detangling that mess was no fun either...
NEVER going anywhere near those again, EVER!

Yes!! This just happened to me last week. I lost about 50 hairs in my estimation. Threw the evil rollers in the garbage.
I also remember years ago being at a hockey game and some a**hole threw his massive wad of gum and it landed in my hair. I can't remember the exact concoction that eventually removed it, peanut butter maybe?? At least I didn't have to cut a chunk of my hair out.

goneJackal
November 18th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Otherwise, cat puke.

Forgot about that. Happened once here, too.
She was sleeping next to my head in bed and regurgitated over my freshly washed hair.

At least it was before you started to grow out your hair?

Yes, four or five years before starting!

ooglipoo
November 18th, 2015, 08:20 PM
The contents of my dog's infected anal glands. :puke:

irodaryne
November 18th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Yes, four or five years before starting!

See? It could have been all of your current hard work literally going up in flames.

Speaking of terrible things caught in hair......... Look what I had to attempt to extract from my little sister's hair today. I tried everything I could to get the hair out uncut, even using a paperclip! Sadly, I did have to take scissors to it. Good news, the cut bit is in the underneath part of her hair, so it's really not all that visible. (This picture doesn't do justice to just how tangled up in there it was. The other side was a hot mess)

https://40.media.tumblr.com/4b036877659ba840499bc193c304453f/tumblr_ny1l70ggOV1th6riso1_540.jpg

TheLuckyLurker
November 18th, 2015, 08:29 PM

I'll regret this, but I have to ask: how the hell does that happen?!

-Fern
November 18th, 2015, 08:56 PM

I declare ooglipoo to be the winner! (...Dubious honor though it may be. :rolling:)

spidermom
November 18th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Python musk. PeeeeeeeeeYuuuuuuuu! It took 3 washings to get the smell out. Whatever you do, don't piss off the snake.

Seeshami
November 18th, 2015, 10:25 PM
I dunno I am not the most careful delicate flower so blood, mud, spiders, and bugs are not so big of a deal. Paint, nail polish, stickers from a bush of some kind, sand, keiky, myself, Muffin, a random stranger.....

Probably the stranger because she didn't know and I had to figure out how to get unhostage taken while chasing her through the haunted woods and hissing. :D

AspenSong
November 18th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Bugs are kind of a given for me. I've had spiders caught in there and grasshoppers. Maggot...I find that way worse than any spider or regular bug. *gag*

And the velcro roller and roller brush....oh yeah, been there, done that....lost some hair.

Chocowalnut
November 18th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Back when I was younger and my hair was the longest it ever was, like MBL, blonde and straightened, someone sprayed a ton of silly string in it at a haunted house. Took forever to wash it out that night.

Chocowalnut
November 18th, 2015, 11:08 PM
See? It could have been all of your current hard work literally going up in flames.

Speaking of terrible things caught in hair......... Look what I had to attempt to extract from my little sister's hair today. I tried everything I could to get the hair out uncut, even using a paperclip! Sadly, I did have to take scissors to it. Good news, the cut bit is in the underneath part of her hair, so it's really not all that visible. (This picture doesn't do justice to just how tangled up in there it was. The other side was a hot mess)

https://40.media.tumblr.com/4b036877659ba840499bc193c304453f/tumblr_ny1l70ggOV1th6riso1_540.jpg

this looks awful

irodaryne
November 18th, 2015, 11:13 PM
this looks awful

It was pretty bad. I sat there for a good while trying to get it out, but because of the rubbery texture of the thing it refused to release it's grip on her hair.

Stormynights
November 18th, 2015, 11:43 PM
My brother hung up one of those fly catching strips under the carport. I didn't know it was there and ran right into it. I don't know what that sticky stuff is that catches flies but you can't even wash it off of your hands. It was just horrible and almost cost my brother his life.

hennalonghair
November 18th, 2015, 11:56 PM
My brother hung up one of those fly catching strips under the carport. I didn't know it was there and ran right into it. I don't know what that sticky stuff is that catches flies but you can't even wash it off of your hands. It was just horrible and almost cost my brother his life.

A stormy catcher :lol:

VisionOne
November 19th, 2015, 12:31 AM
I have set my hair on fire. TWICE.
Once when I was six years old and once when I was fourteen or fifteen. Both times i stood too close to a candle.

Other nasty things I have gotten stuck in my hair includes chewing gum and one of those round brushes.

Sweets
November 19th, 2015, 02:12 AM
When I was about four years old, I had hair that would dip in the toilet if I wasn't careful. One day I was happily playing by myself, and being the natural artist that I was, I crawled under my day-bed with a red pen to draw on the wall where my parents wouldn't see it. My beautiful hair got caught on the metal grid/springs that held up my mattress. I spent the next four hours screaming and crying for help underneath my own bed, and no one ever heard me or noticed I was missing. I got a big spanking from both of my parents, as if I didn't feel terrible enough, and no dinner, and my hair had to be cut out.

This kinda makes me sad, thinking back...

Vrindi
November 19th, 2015, 11:38 AM
When I was about four years old, I had hair that would dip in the toilet if I wasn't careful. One day I was happily playing by myself, and being the natural artist that I was, I crawled under my day-bed with a red pen to draw on the wall where my parents wouldn't see it. My beautiful hair got caught on the metal grid/springs that held up my mattress. I spent the next four hours screaming and crying for help underneath my own bed, and no one ever heard me or noticed I was missing. I got a big spanking from both of my parents, as if I didn't feel terrible enough, and no dinner, and my hair had to be cut out.

This kinda makes me sad, thinking back...

:( That's terrible! You'd think being trapped there for so long and having to cut your hair would be WAY more than enough punishment for drawing on the wall - which can be covered with paint. I think your parents went way overboard. Way way overboard.

chen bao jun
November 19th, 2015, 12:04 PM
I got a wasp caught in mine once, but I see that's a common thing here.
I also set it on fire once.
I used to regularly lose pens in there--they didn't caught, they'd get lost. I'd put one in there while I was writing and forget about it until I was combing my hair in the evening and I'd be like--Oh!! A couple of times, there were two pens or pencils in there. You wouldn't be able to see them and the curls hold them and yes, it is THAT thick.

Bobby pins actually get do get stuck as well as lost as lost. I don't use them much anymore, since discovering sticks and Amish pins and spin pins, but for some hairstyles, like the Gibson tuck, really only bobby pins will do. I actually use the 'roller pins'--the huge ones, because regular bobbies are way too small. I actually made a Gibson tuck today and remembered how carefullly I have to take the roller pins out and what a painstaking job it is not to yank out lots of hair with them. Probably why I don't Gibson tuck much.

Llama
November 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM
A bee got caught in my hair just last week. Shook out my hair and luckily he fell right out and onto the ground.
Velcro roller got very stuck in my hair recently as well.
I caught my hair on fire when I was a teenager, and I'm sure I've gotten other/worse things stuck in my hair in the past but I don't remember.

Nae
November 19th, 2015, 06:14 PM
One Christmas morning my son got a little remote controlled helicopter. My husband decided to buzz over my daughters head with it. He misjudged.

I spent over an hour trying to get it out of her tailbone length hair. Sometimes the males in my house are a little boneheaded.

BrightEyes
November 19th, 2015, 07:13 PM
When my son went through chemo he often slept with me because he didn't feel well. A few times he threw up and I ended up with vomit in my hair. But really, I didn't mind. I just wanted him to feel better.

earthybee
November 19th, 2015, 07:53 PM
The light up helicopter toys on a stick that you find at the check out. My daughter said MOM can I get this! Throws it up to me while on...Hair caught up to my neck at the check out. Umm yeah impossible and embarrassing to get out. :disbelief i most definitely didn't buy it. I have three younger daughters with bsl and waist length hair as well nope...not going there. Hairtastrophy waiting to happen.

Sweets
November 19th, 2015, 08:02 PM
:( That's terrible! You'd think being trapped there for so long and having to cut your hair would be WAY more than enough punishment for drawing on the wall - which can be covered with paint. I think your parents went way overboard. Way way overboard.

I've been looking back and seeing a pattern... oh well. I agree with you - if it was my child (I don't have any) I would NOT react that way, either. I couldn't even imagine.

MsPharaohMoan
November 19th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Probably a lit match.

Although maybe a rat?? Some people might find them terrible but I used to keep pet rats and they would love to snuggle and fall asleep on your shoulder all tangled in your hair! (so cute I could even forgive the odd accidental pee!!LOL:o).

I had a mouse on my shoulder a few minutes ago while detangling my hair and she peed and now I have to wash -.- nasty little Henna!

MeAndTheMaz
November 19th, 2015, 09:34 PM
A roto-rooter machine. I got a little close when I was cleaning out my drain line. Not fun. I was alone, under my house, without a phone. I could have died and no one would know it. :( Fortunately, I managed to extricate myself with no real damage done.

Christine_O
November 19th, 2015, 11:26 PM
When my son went through chemo he often slept with me because he didn't feel well. A few times he threw up and I ended up with vomit in my hair. But really, I didn't mind. I just wanted him to feel better.

:grouphug:

Jadestorm
November 20th, 2015, 03:48 AM
:shocked: Gosh, I'm amazed by what some of you have had caught in your hair! :grin: I don't think I've ever had anything spectacular caught in my hair (the other way around though, getting my hair caught IN things, that's a ridiculous list). Just things like bubble gum (bullies did that on purpose several times) and of course not so long ago that horrifying 'hot buns' tool I tested out for a video. :justy: (I will think twice now before I test out something that I already know will not end well when I see it!)

PrincessBob
November 20th, 2015, 11:17 AM
When I was in elementary school I shared a very messy room with two sisters and I slept on the floor most nights.
I woke on more than one occasion with an actual mouse tangled in my hair. The paws getting caught and tugging is what woke me, I am lucky I never got bit in these incidences. We lived next to an empty field and had a pretty bad mouse infestation. I still have nightmares about it, but I adore domestic rodents.

Laurie3030
November 20th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Holidays in Hamburg/Germany -> a sea-gull sh*t on my hair <.< It was kind of red-white. Really disgusting.

Vrindi
November 20th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Holidays in Hamburg/Germany -> a sea-gull sh*t on my hair <.< It was kind of red-white. Really disgusting.

Ewwww! ...at least is wasn't a pelican. :P

hennalonghair
November 20th, 2015, 04:23 PM

Eeeeewwwwwww! Geez I think you have us all beat

jt623
November 20th, 2015, 11:23 PM
I had a mouse on my shoulder a few minutes ago while detangling my hair and she peed and now I have to wash -.- nasty little Henna!

Cockatiel droppings from CC

Elysianne
November 22nd, 2015, 09:22 AM
My family has a classic tale from when I was a child and my mother, with her long corkscrew curls, came to pick me up from playgroup. I was playing with a pull-string duck toy, not unlike the one in the picture. You pull the baby duck, and it makes the mother duck 'waddle' with her legs on an axel. I ran up to my mother waving this thing, she bent down to look, I pulled the string, and the duck wound itself tightly into her hair. In the end she had to cut it out, as the alternative was walking home with a duck attached to her head!

http://www.modip.ac.uk/sites/modip/images/large/001010_1.jpg

Spinder
November 22nd, 2015, 10:46 AM
Both cat poop and puke have happened a couple of times. One time I was holding a millipede and it mistook my hair for a plant.. luckily though, I freed it without hurting it, or my hair!

Hairkay
November 22nd, 2015, 12:21 PM
I ended up puking on my nephew's hair once. I was trying an new antihistamine and one of the side efforts was bad nausea. That got triggered off by motion so we were driving along and I hurled. It got all over the car. I glanced up and noticed some in my teen nephew's hair. I couldn't bring myself to mention it to him. They cleaned up the car. I told them to drop me home. I couldn't go anywhere if I kept puking. They did. I stayed home and they went to a family barbecue in another city. I was the only one notably absent. I told the doc that I couldn't use that med ever again.

Echileruwen
November 22nd, 2015, 12:47 PM

LOL, this reminds me of the time my last dog sat down on a sticky mousetrap. It got caught in the hair of his tail and butt and he was running around the house like mad.

I've had velcro rollers, pine sap, round brushes, a lilac bush, a spider, and hair clips get wound up and stuck in my hair.

Todd
November 22nd, 2015, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I've gotten the latch mechanism of a screen door at least once.

Our back porch has a screen door that has one of those long springs attached to it to pull it shut. Its right about at doorknob height. I've noticed a few times I've gone out the door with my hair down only to feel one or more hairs get yanked from my head - they got caught in the spring just as the door was closing and the spring was tightening. Probably a million-to-one type of occurance but its happened to me more than once.

As far as actually caught in my hair? Probably a dozen or more little green burrs from some sort of weeds. Not thistles - these were little and spiky. It was annoying but kind of funny since other than a half-hour or so of work to get them out the hair was mostly unharmed.

irodaryne
November 22nd, 2015, 11:12 PM
Today I got acrylic paint in my hair. I'm not actually sure how I managed that as it's somewhat past chin and not long enough to dangle in to my paint or painting.

littlestarface
November 23rd, 2015, 12:00 PM
I've had burrs get stuck in my hair, a car, a brush, those bobble hair thingies, rubber bands, hair ties, lemon seeds, a big huge grey spider, a earwig, gum cinnamon flavor ugh, my earring, necklace, iphone plug dangly thing I always get this stuck in my hair when im talking on the phone.

ooglipoo
November 23rd, 2015, 10:16 PM
Eeeeewwwwwww! Geez I think you have us all beat

This was pretty grim. I went to sleep on the couch, and he went to sleep on the arm of the couch, above my head. His, um, collection? burst and went all over the couch and my head. First thing I did was clean him up, then then couch, then I changed. But I kept getting a whiff of that distinct smell. I checked everything again, him, the couch, my head, but couldn't find any more. I was checking the length of my hair, but it was up near the crown. When I put my hand back there and felt it, I puked in my mouth, jumped in the shower with my clothes on, and freaked out even harder. It was a full-blown nightmare, I tell you.

I only found out I was nominated for worst when I came back to the thread to tell y'all about something else. I got up nice and early, went outside to gather clover and other yummies for my bunny. Fed her the basket of greens and went to sit down on the couch. Grabbed my hairbrush and went to town. Then I noticed a icky sticky and wet sensation across my scalp. Ugh! I had gotten a slug stuck in my hair, and then, THEN I brushed him into my hair. And by my best guess, it is exactly what would happen if you used a cheese grater on a slug... Bad news AND another shower...

vpatt
November 24th, 2015, 07:34 AM
This was pretty grim. I went to sleep on the couch, and he went to sleep on the arm of the couch, above my head. His, um, collection? burst and went all over the couch and my head. First thing I did was clean him up, then then couch, then I changed. But I kept getting a whiff of that distinct smell. I checked everything again, him, the couch, my head, but couldn't find any more. I was checking the length of my hair, but it was up near the crown. When I put my hand back there and felt it, I puked in my mouth, jumped in the shower with my clothes on, and freaked out even harder. It was a full-blown nightmare, I tell you.

I only found out I was nominated for worst when I came back to the thread to tell y'all about something else. I got up nice and early, went outside to gather clover and other yummies for my bunny. Fed her the basket of greens and went to sit down on the couch. Grabbed my hairbrush and went to town. Then I noticed a icky sticky and wet sensation across my scalp. Ugh! I had gotten a slug stuck in my hair, and then, THEN I brushed him into my hair. And by my best guess, it is exactly what would happen if you used a cheese grater on a slug... Bad news AND another shower...

Oh my gosh, I actually gagged at the slug, but not the dog juice......I guess it was overload, lol.
All I remember from my long hair past is curlers and hair brushes. Tho once as an adult I did light a cigarette and caught my hair on fire. What was I thinking?

LadyLongLocks
November 24th, 2015, 07:51 AM
VELCRO closure at the back of a visor. I was at a 4th of July concert and it was stuck to my nape hairs badly. It resulted in ripping the hair out and I had short nape hairs for years! After we got the hat off we went to the first aid area and got some medical tape to cover the velcro.Velcro and hair don't mix well :(

MeAndTheMaz
November 24th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Geez, ooglipoo, you sure are brutal to your hair. :puke: I hope you buy it lots shiny things to make up for it.

Ellethwyn
November 24th, 2015, 11:00 AM
A wasp, for me!

Groovy Granny
November 24th, 2015, 11:25 AM
The only things I can recall are from when I was little... those pickie balls and 2 prong stick'ums (from weeds).
I was always playing in the woods and fields as a child :wannabe:

My mother would get very angry with me :disbelief
It was no fun having her detangle my hair to say the least,and I was very lucky she just didn't chop my hair! :p

Then again...compared to what some of you have endured....I was lucky period LOL

irodaryne
November 24th, 2015, 11:27 AM

Oh ew. I hate slugs so much, the thought of one being ingrained into my hair is terrifying. Squished slugs are hard to wash off, let alone "cheese-grated" slugs in HAIR.

TheLuckyLurker
November 24th, 2015, 08:06 PM

Oh, girl. You have, like, the WORST luck. You have my sympathies. ALL of them.

mindwiped
November 24th, 2015, 08:51 PM
ooglipoo-you win. Hands down.

I've done child care, so if it comes out of a human, I've had it in my hair, 'nuff said. As a child, mud, bugs, thistles, seed pods. I wasn't quite a tom boy, but I'd do all the tom boy stuff while wearing a skirt. The worst was a klutz thing I did to myself; never shake up rubber cement without making sure the lid is on tight. That stuff is brutal on your hair, and I did it to myself.

Arkadas
November 24th, 2015, 09:16 PM
leaning down next to a bush of awful weed stickers.. the ones in clusters then break apart,, Didn't think I would ever get them completely out having to do one at a time

Lauraes
November 24th, 2015, 09:36 PM
A bird pooped on my head while I was walking out to my dad's car when I was around 5 years old.

A few years ago, I was swimming when I suddenly realized I had a japanese water beetle in my hair. I have a phobia of insects, so I went absolutely crazy and ran to my mom who then had to untangle the bug from my hair. Ever since then, I will NOT get in the pool unless I've made sure there aren't any beetles in it. If there are, I get out immediately and make someone else get rid of it. We get a bunch of those beetles every year, so it sucks.

Last year a stinkbug flew into my hair. Yes, I'm also terrified of those. I just froze until someone else got rid of it. Though, that wasn't the worst incident I've had with stinkbugs. Those things are also everywhere around here. I mean everywhere, all year round. You can't escape them, because no matter what you do, you'll find them in the house every couple of weeks in some random spot. One day, I opened a window in my room only to uncover a HUGE pile of stinkbugs there (and my bed is right up against the window). And I mean a HUGE pile. I don't even know how they all fit underneath the sliding part of the window. There were tons and tons of stinkbugs, lots of them flipped on their backs, all squirming their legs. I had a panic attack over that and have never opened a window since. The image is burned into my mind.

My mom has found a centipede and a water beetle in her hair from getting into the pool.

MandyBeth
November 24th, 2015, 09:44 PM
I worked as a vet tech. The amount of various infected matter that got on me......

Rats. Many times. And they are still allowed on my shoulders.

Fire. And given a chance, I will do the damage again. :rockerdud

Sweets
November 25th, 2015, 02:21 AM
For everyone who gets pooped on by a bird, did you know that it's good luck? My question is...what happened after the bird pooped in your hair? Is it really true?

Angelica
November 25th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I had a spin grip that caught in my hair. The thing separated and I nearly had to cut a whole chunk of hair off. So I don't use them anymore. I also had a Velcro roller stuck in my hair. Both occasions my husband worked for a couple of hours to help me out. On one occasion many years back I was twirling a comb around my hair and it got stuck and it would not unravel, I had to resort to cutting :(

Lucibel
November 25th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Probably... fire? I had a bad run-in with a candle flame when I was 14.
Before becoming somewhat of a "purist" with my jewelry-making and going glue-free, I used super glue to hold things together. And foolishly I didn't tie my hair back before using it, resulting in a few globs getting stuck in shorter layers that I am trying to grow out. I ended up having to cut a couple inches off. No bueno. :p
I have a parrot, so bird poop in the hair is a regular occurrence, haha.

Echileruwen
November 25th, 2015, 09:42 AM

Here's a link to a news article about those things getting caught in kids' hair and how to get them out. They were never designed for hair, but kids will be kids....
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Toy-Bunchems-Gets-Caught-in-Hair-353035281.html?_osource=taboola-recirc

Stormynights
November 25th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Just a little tip, if you get a brush or comb stuck in your hair find someone to cut the tines or bristles instead of your hair. Nail nippers will work for this. Guess how I would know.

irodaryne
November 25th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Here's a link to a news article about those things getting caught in kids' hair and how to get them out. They were never designed for hair, but kids will be kids....
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Toy-Bunchems-Gets-Caught-in-Hair-353035281.html?_osource=taboola-recirc

It wasn't one of those bunchems, it was one of those squishy rubber toys with the tentacle looking things (the ones that have been around for forever), not hooks. It was impossible to get out because it was all rubber (and we all know how well hair and rubber gets along) not because of hooks.

At least it wasn't intentionally put in her hair. She just didn't know it was there for a a while, and then when she did find out she thought she could get it out by herself.

lillielil
November 25th, 2015, 02:58 PM
So many ticks. After a hike in one of the civil war battlefield parks, DW and I were doing the customary tick check and realized that we didn't just have a handful. We had dozens if not hundreds of ticks all over us. We ended up stripping naked in the parking lot and picking them off ourselves and each other.

On the drive home I found some on my scalp.

The following day I found more on my scalp.

A week later I was still finding them on my scalp. They were flat and smooth and didn't feel like anything at all. Luckily not a single one of them bit.

HairPlease
November 25th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Sticky Tac. It was the really wet kind that you use to pop posters onto a wall. It made a mess.

Swan Maiden
November 25th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Ew ew ew lillielil. I loathe those parasites. I've had my fair share of ticks and picked hundreds off of rescue dogs. I couldn't imagine hundreds on myself. I would probably bathe in bleach.

Worst things in my hair...i had an ex boyfriend blow his runny nose in my hair when we were asleep, baby spit up, cockroaches, maggots (fml).

The maggots...I had a jenny turkey that had festering wounds on her back from mating. Lucky me had to catch her so she could be treated. Yeah.....that smell will haunt me forever. I ended up covered in those things. It was a nightmare.

Ashflower89
November 27th, 2015, 08:46 PM
This is definitely related (a yahoo article):
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/the-horrible-new-toy-that-might-be-on-your-kids-183245591.html

A toy that looks almost identical to what irodaryne posted, small toy balls with little hairlike things all over them, called Bunchems. It sounds like there's parent everywhere going nuts trying to get these things out of their kids hair. There are some pictures of pretty bad tangles on the article, and I found even more when I did a google image search. Those things look evil.

irodaryne
November 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM
This is definitely related (a yahoo article):
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/the-horrible-new-toy-that-might-be-on-your-kids-183245591.html

A toy that looks almost identical to what irodaryne posted, small toy balls with little hairlike things all over them, called Bunchems. It sounds like there's parent everywhere going nuts trying to get these things out of their kids hair. There are some pictures of pretty bad tangles on the article, and I found even more when I did a google image search. Those things look evil.

I think that's why people keep thinking that what my sister got in her hair was a bunchem (it wasn't, it was just a squishy rubber ball with little nubbins).

But I'm glad people keep mistaking the squishy rubber thing in my sister's hair for bunchems, now I know to warn my folks away from them.

Phanaferous
November 28th, 2015, 03:43 PM

Me too. It was my 14th birthday, and I didn't even realize it until my mom was screaming and beating my head with a kitchen towel.

Mavi
November 29th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I was camping in BC when a stick fell from a tree into my hair. That was.... until I reached my hand up to pick it out and it turned out to be an absolutely ENORMOUS flappy bug. I jumped so high :P

TheLuckyLurker
November 29th, 2015, 08:12 PM
I just remembered. When I was a little kid my hair was usually down (and a mess; it took a while for my mom to get hip to braiding it every day). I went on a fishing trip with some friends and their parents (the friends were brother and sister). The brother went to cast his line, and it turned out I was standing too close to him; the hook -complete with worm- went into my hair. I was grossed out then; now all I can think of is how lucky I was it hit my hair and not my face. It was high enough up that it probably would've hit me right in the eye!

Mavi
November 30th, 2015, 08:33 AM
I just remembered. When I was a little kid my hair was usually down (and a mess; it took a while for my mom to get hip to braiding it every day). I went on a fishing trip with some friends and their parents (the friends were brother and sister). The brother went to cast his line, and it turned out I was standing too close to him; the hook -complete with worm- went into my hair. I was grossed out then; now all I can think of is how lucky I was it hit my hair and not my face. It was high enough up that it probably would've hit me right in the eye!

TheLuckyLurker stuff like that scares me so much! I live in a harbour town and people always fish off of the docks where I walk back and forth multiple times daily. I also use my kayaks within range of the flying hooks. I have a legitimate fear of being maimed. There so small, it would be so hard to see them coming...

Mavi
November 30th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Apologies, "they're so small". I hate poor spelling, must correct it.

lillielil
November 30th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Ew ew ew lillielil. I loathe those parasites. I've had my fair share of ticks and picked hundreds off of rescue dogs. I couldn't imagine hundreds on myself. I would probably bathe in bleach.

Worst things in my hair...i had an ex boyfriend blow his runny nose in my hair when we were asleep, baby spit up, cockroaches, maggots (fml).

The maggots...I had a jenny turkey that had festering wounds on her back from mating. Lucky me had to catch her so she could be treated. Yeah.....that smell will haunt me forever. I ended up covered in those things. It was a nightmare.

:puke:

Hold on... just need to say it one more time

:bigeyes:

lithostoic
November 30th, 2015, 12:24 PM
A giant grasshopper!

RebekahE
November 30th, 2015, 12:32 PM
A fan.
I don't remeber how old I was. I was probably four or five and I got up in the morning and went to shut the fan off. I leaned over and zip all my hair got wound into the fan. I started screaming at my brother (year younger than me) to get Mom. He left in a hurry and returned with Mom, who unplugged the fan. We went downstairs and she surveyed the damage and decided this warranted a call to Dad.
Dad just walked in the door when Mom got my hair unwound. I never again shut the fan off without first grabbing hold of my hair and making sure it couldn't get sucked into the fan.

It is kind of funny when I come in after doing chores everyone will start picking at my hair and I ask them why and they say I have hay in my hair. It's a dead giveaway that I own horses. lol