PDA

View Full Version : Silicones and sulfates: Inseperable?

Thoughtcriminal
November 16th, 2015, 07:14 PM
My hair loves silicones, I've tried going cone-free (CO washing, never tried cone free+shampoo) a few times and it's just not for me. I recently realized that I've never tried the sulfate-free side of things, so I picked up a bottle of sulfate free shampoo and just got out of my first shower with it.

My hair hasn't dried yet so I can't tell if my hair looks/feels any better than usual, but I was thinking: When I tried cowashing, all the articles about it I'd read said to wash your hair with shampoo one last time because sulfates are the only thing strong enough to get the silicone buildup out of your hair. Does this mean my sulfate-free shampoo isn't going to take off the silicones from the last conditioning, leading to more buildup? The cleansing agent in the shampoo I bought is saponified oils.

Thank you!!

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2015, 07:27 PM
It depends what type of silicone was in the conditioner you last used. Some of them are water soluble and can be used without sulfates.

Thoughtcriminal
November 16th, 2015, 07:50 PM
It depends what type of silicone was in the conditioner you last used. Some of them are water soluble and can be used without sulfates.

I use non-water soluable silicones (and a LOT of them). So sulfates the only thing that can wash them out?

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I use non-water soluable silicones (and a LOT of them). So sulfates the only thing that can wash them out?

Yes, In that case I would clarify before continuing with the sulfate free shampoo :)

Nique1202
November 17th, 2015, 04:48 AM
I don't think silicones and sulfates are totally inseparable, but the use of silicones in conditioner or other products is definitely related to the cleansing abilities of your shampoo.

If you go sulfate-free, then your best bet is to experiment with your 'cone use. Some non-sulfate surfactants are pretty strong, and if your hair doesn't hold on to the 'cones so dearly then it's possible you might be able to use sulfate-free with your 'cones regularly. Or, you might only have to use 'cones every other wash, or every 3 washes, or whatever, because if they're not washing out you don't need to replace them, you know?

While it's good practice to clarify before changing anything in your routine regardless, I'd still use the 'cone stuff once in your routine with your first sulfate-free wash, but switch to cone-free until you see the benefits of the 'cones wear off. Like, if they make your hair feel silky, and it feels rough without them, when your hair feels rough again you know it's time to use your 'cone stuff again, if that makes sense. I don't think you have to give them up entirely just to try sulfate-free for a while.

lapushka
November 17th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Depends on how sulfate-free your shampoo is. What's the exact formula? Even coco-betaine can strip silicones, but not as well as a full-on sulfate shampoo (in my experience).

Anje
November 17th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Depends on how sulfate-free your shampoo is. What's the exact formula? Even coco-betaine can strip silicones, but not as well as a full-on sulfate shampoo (in my experience).

This. Lots of common sulfate-free options can remove them. But you won't have catastrophic buildup immediately. You can go on washing this way for weeks or months. If your hair starts acting weird, clarify.

Thoughtcriminal
November 17th, 2015, 06:34 AM

I went through all the ingredients, and these are the surfactants: Saponified oil (implied), Lauryl glucoside, Disodium cocoamphodiacetate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine.

It felt just as, if not more stripping than my normal shampoo, at the very least!

lapushka
November 17th, 2015, 07:07 AM
I went through all the ingredients, and these are the surfactants: Saponified oil (implied), Lauryl glucoside, Disodium cocoamphodiacetate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine.

Looks like a pretty light shampoo to me, but I could be mistaken... I'm not the one with the ingredients knowledge around here. ;) I'd clarify with sulfates once every few weeks, just to be sure, if you are using a lot of silicones.

missblueeyes
November 17th, 2015, 09:05 AM
I've been asking myself the same thing since I just got a 'coney serum for my hair but I'm guessing they're not totally inseperable. Yeah, a sulfate-free shampoo might not remove hardcore silicone build-up but after a couple of washes it'll still get rid of most, I'd guess. Maybe you should just not use a conditioner with silicones on every wash day but on every second so you don't get build-up? I think avoiding build-up and slowly testing how much 'cones you can take when using sulfate-free shampoo is much better than loading on the 'cones and having to clarify to get rid of them again.

lapushka
November 17th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Maybe you should just not use a conditioner with silicones on every wash day but on every second so you don't get build-up? I think avoiding build-up and slowly testing how much 'cones you can take when using sulfate-free shampoo is much better than loading on the 'cones and having to clarify to get rid of them again.

Some of us like silicones. ;)

missblueeyes
November 17th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Some of us like silicones. ;)

Hey, I'm not saying they're bad. I actually started to reintroduce them to my routine because I stopped wearing buns. ;D
The dose makes the poison.
I'm just saying that clarifying your hair too often could strip it, too, which isn't that great. If you could work out how many 'cones your hair likes before they start building up that'd be much better!
I think I might not have expressed myself clearly enough.

Beborani
November 17th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I cowash without ever clarifying with shampoo and have used both soluble and insoluble silicones in my hair-- have never experienced any problems in nearly three years. I do oil my hair prewash which helps in getting water insoluble products off my hair when oil is removed by conditoner--it seems convoluted but it works.

poli
November 18th, 2015, 03:47 AM
My hair loves silicones and sulfates. I have a lot of new products that I got for my birthday and I have to say cone-free shampoo and condish are so far the worst. I might give it a chance later, but after trying it out I was very disappointed. The build up was instant and my hair looked an felt like on the third day just hours after washing. My guess is in this case the sulfate free shampoo was not clarifying enough.