PDA

View Full Version : how to exfoliate the scalp if you have wavy hair

mamaherrera
November 16th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Ive heard that boar bristle brushes are great for the scalp health. But if you have long wavy/curly hair, you (or at least I) have avoided brushes. What's another way to exfoliate the scalp??? thanks

Agnieszka
November 16th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I remember some people here were talking about sugar scalp exfoliation but not sure what's the exact recipe. In the past I came across this product, I had it done at nioxin salon but you can do it at home too.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nioxin-Scalp-Renew-Dermabrasion-Treatment/dp/B007IIENYG

parkmikii
November 16th, 2015, 02:25 PM
What I do is get a seamless wide toothed (detangling) comb and in the shower, while having shampoo on my scalp, massage the scalp gently with the comb. It removed all my flakes and it also felt pretty relaxing. My comb is made from acrylic, so it's waterproof, I wouldn't recommend this with a wooden comb.
I did use a sugar scrub recipe which calls for sugar and olive oil mixed together at which you can add essential oils (the recipe is on sciencey hair blog) but it gave me quite a bit of breakage as I wasn't very careful..
The comb method always worked though. I use it on dry scalp too lately, or before a wash after oiling my scalp :)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 16th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I don't do this but if I did I would use the comb in the shower trick. It must feel wonderful, too.

missrandie
November 16th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I tend to just use my fingernails -GENTLY- while in the shower. I know, nails on scalp are bad, but I just let my scalp soak a while, then use my nails a bit when I shampoo. It has always worked for me, and I don't dig in, so my scalp is fine.

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I use my tangle teezer in the shower loaded with conditioner before I shampoo. Sometimes I get flakes...not SD flakes, just regular run of the mill dead skin flakes and my TT helps remove them.

mamaherrera
November 16th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I have something similar to the TT. Do you run it down, like brushing it through the entire length of just like circular motions with the TT?? The same with the comb, do you comb it through or just do circular motions?

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I have something similar to the TT. Do you run it down, like brushing it through the entire length of just like circular motions with the TT?? The same with the comb, do you comb it through or just do circular motions?

Carefully running it in the same direction crossed my scalp. I don't know if I could do circles on my wet head.

lapushka
November 16th, 2015, 03:11 PM

No circles, you'll knot up your hair! Just slide it in one direction.

mamaherrera
November 16th, 2015, 07:02 PM
but do you have to go all the way down, through the length or just down to the bottom of the scalp??

hennalonghair
November 16th, 2015, 07:15 PM
I use a Mason Pearson brush and seamless comb.

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2015, 07:21 PM
but do you have to go all the way down, through the length or just down to the bottom of the scalp??

I do it going only to the bottom of the scalp and then when I finish I detangle from the ends up.

mamaherrera
November 16th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Thanks Nadine, for explaining. Good idea with the conditioner, although my scalp hates conditioner. I guess I could just try it without.

hanne jensen
November 17th, 2015, 09:13 AM
You could also add some cheap cardamom to your regular poo and massage your scalp while washing. Cardamom doesn't dissolve and it doesn't have sharp edges.

Nique1202
November 17th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I use an extra firm ball-tipped paddle brush (the Goody Jewel paddle brush, specifically). The only time I use it is right before I wash my hair and after thoroughly detangling. But, I just run it in wavy lines from the front hairline to the nape. Like, first I'll put it over one ear, and I'll gently move it side-to-side (or really, up-and-down at that point I guess) as I brush it all the way back along my scalp to the hairline at the back, then I do from the temple, then a few sections across the top of my head and down to the other ear, giving it a thorough massage with the little bulb ends. Then I detangle again just in case that caused a buildup of tangles at the nape from the back-and-forth motion, before I get in the shower.

It might not work for everyone, but my hair doesn't seem to accumulate a lot of damage from the paddle brush, I guess because I only use it once every wash cycle.

SparkleToes
November 17th, 2015, 11:11 AM
I saw that you said your scalp doesn't like conditioner. I'd like to suggest that maybe you should buy a conditioner to use only on your scalp , like a lighter formula or something like that. The one I use on my scalp is garnier fructis fall fight fortifying conditioner it works really good for me and never leaves me greasy ( I'm a wavy/curly too). The reason I use it on my scalp is because it has caffeine,fruit vitamins, and biotin to help with breakage and falling hair. That's just me though and I always try to rinse my conditioner really well so it doesn't leave a film/residue. :)

rhosyn_du
November 17th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I use a wood bristle paddle brush that I only use before I shower and after detangling with a wide-tooth comb. The bristles/pins on the brush are pretty far apart, so they don't pull my wurls apart the way brushes with tighter bristles do.