PDA

View Full Version : Spin Pins - What brand to use??

czech it out
November 15th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Hi all!

I love spin pins but the ones I have were coated in some sort of paint (to make them "brunette") that is now chipping off. When I use them - especially with wet hair - they get hopelessly stuck and I end up ripping out hairs. Can anyone suggest a brand of spin pins that are OK to use in wet hair and wont chip? I would love brown but any color will do. Thanks!

Nadine <3
November 15th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I buy them from Amazon. They have a knock off brand for like, 2 dollars for 10 pins. At that price who cares if you have to eventually just chuck them?

meteor
November 15th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Sorry I'm of no help on specific brands for spin pins, but I was wondering if maybe painting them with clear nail polish (base coat) can prevent chipping and give you the results you want? :hmm: That's what many of us do with chopsticks or to modify hair toys, for example...

czech it out
November 15th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I buy them from Amazon. They have a knock off brand for like, 2 dollars for 10 pins. At that price who cares if you have to eventually just chuck them?

That's a good point! I never thought of it that way.

czech it out
November 15th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Sorry I'm of no help on specific brands for spin pins, but I was wondering if maybe painting them with clear nail polish (base coat) can prevent chipping and give you the results you want? :hmm: That's what many of us do with chopsticks or to modify hair toys, for example...

Thanks meteor! Does this still work with wet hair - the nail polish doesn't melt off for lack of a better word? If so I think I will try this method with my evil, snaggy spin pins. Thanks again!

littlestarface
November 15th, 2015, 05:40 PM
I like the goody brand one but yea they chip off. Meteor has a great idea, i'd try that.

Llama
November 15th, 2015, 06:42 PM
I have the blonde ones from Goody and they chip too. I just replace them whenever they start doing that, usually after several months of use.

Arctic
November 15th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Hmm, seems like my no-brand spin pins are quite good quality! No chipping after 8 or so months of very frequent use, often interlocking them and so on. Pleased with mine :)

If someone goes for the cheapie route, make sure the very tips of the metal are covered with plastic or something, so the metal is not going to scratch you or snag your hair.

Nadine <3
November 15th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Hmm, seems like my no-brand spin pins are quite good quality! No chipping after 8 or so months of very frequent use, often interlocking them and so on. Pleased with mine :)

If someone goes for the cheapie route, make sure the very tips of the metal are covered with plastic or something, so the metal is not going to scratch you or snag your hair.

I put a dab of hot glue on the ends of mine :) Works great!

lapushka
November 16th, 2015, 05:10 AM
I got some cheapy ones from ebay, a few with a pearl bead on top - they'll do; but then I don't use them on wet hair. I think Goody or Scuncy must do good ones, pretty much the only "brand" you can get.

Daydreamer.
January 9th, 2016, 03:09 AM
I've used Goody spins in the past. I've never noticed chipping.