PDA

View Full Version : Do you measure your hair yourself??

plainjanegirl
October 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Just wondering if anybody manages to successfully measure your hair yourself or if you have to have someone else do it? I like to measure monthly but I feel like others think I am crazy when I mention it. So any tips on measuring accurately on oneself??

Oskimosa
October 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I measure myself because I am embarrassed that I do it. But I ask my husband to re-check it sometimes just to make sure I'm doing it right and getting accurate readings.

Carolyn
October 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yes I do. I chose not to share the fact that I measure my hair with anyone in real life. I use a narrow plastic roll up tape. I put the beginning mark at my front hairline and run it up and over the top of my head where I'd make a center part. I let it go down the back, grasping the tape along with my hair and kind of do that hand over hand down to the ends. I've also tried measuring from the bottom up but I couldn't quite get the hang of it. I also measure several times. I do it with clean, dry hair. I think consistency is the key. Do it the same way and with the same tape each time you measure. The point of measuring is to determine monthly/quarterly/yearly growth rates. It's not a race to the finish line.

LeaM07
October 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I do it pretty much the same way as Carolyn. I let the tape hang down with my hair, grab my hair and the tape together, usually somewhere around my waist, and then pull it around in front of me where I can see it, being careful to not let the tape slip.

I'm not very picky about it, though, as I have a good bit of taper and there isn't all that much hair to speak of anyway in my last few inches of length. I'm more or less terminal, so I just measure every once in a while out of curiosity.

AnneAdeline
October 10th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I tried myself before getting up the nerve to ask my mum to measure. My hair is about BSL so I would drape it over my head (a soft measuring tape, like used in sewing) then reach backwards and grab where I felt the hair ended. Then I'd just take the measuring tape off my head and see where I was holding it. It was accurate to within about an inch.

If you have a mirror you can see your back in, it helps a ton.

nappywomyn
October 10th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I've finally broken down and asked DH to help me measure my hair. It's too short and too curly for me to measure accurately on my own, right now.

emeraldfaery
October 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have my mom measure it on (or around) the 19th of every month. I *can* do it myself, but I think it's more acurate if she does it every time. She doesn't think it's weird, she just goes along with it. I use the same tape and usually measure after washing when it's fully dry.

ole gray mare
October 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Yes, I do it myself. I clip a fabric measuring tape to the front of my hair with a small jaw clip. Then I turn around and do the two mirror method so I can see the back. I don't do it very frequently anymore. I was pretty regular about measuring it monthly when I first started at this board. But not so much now...maybe every 4-5 months.

Arctic_Mama
October 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Yes, the only way I can get an accurate measurement is to clip it in the front, if I try to hold and measure my hair is just not at a decent length for my to get a proper reading. It's just a little too short. If it's longer then BSL it's easy, or shorter than shoulder... anything in between and I do better with hubby measuring.

Buddaphlyy
October 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Yup. No one is allowed to touch my hair for any reason. Since I don't measure in inches, I just pull my hair down and turn the self-timer on on the camera.

Xanthippe
October 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Yup, I do too. And I grab my hair and the tape measure together from behind like others have mentioned. It's gotten easier as it's gotten longer because I don't have to reach up so high anymore.

vampodrama
October 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I measure it myself, too. because as many have stated, I am embarrassed about the fact that I measure my hair. which is very odd, I think. why am I embarrassed? it's just hair, right?

twilight_faerie
October 11th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I have my boyfriend measure my hair, and then I re-measure it myself to double-check the number. I KNOW he thinks I'm a little weird for measuring my hair, but I also know that he accepts me and loves me just the way I am. So I didn't think twice about asking him for help.

paper
October 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I measure myself also. Sometimes, I have DH measure to make sure I'm right, and so far I have been. I don't like to ask him to do it too often, he might think it's little weird.

Now that my hair is getting a little longer, it's been tougher to measure. I've got some good tips from this thread. I never thought to look at tape in mirror. :hmm:

Iylivarae
October 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I measure by myself, because my family would think that I am crazy if I asked them to do it. Also, I think that the measurements are more accurate if I measure.

ChatoyantLocks
October 11th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I get help. My hair is too long for me to be able to do it myself - the longest strands are past my fingertips.

Sammybunny711
October 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I too measure my hair myself and I do it monthly. I use a retractable tape measurer. I measure from hairline back. :o)

snowbear
October 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I usually measure myself, although I've trained both my partner and my little brother how to measure. If I ask nicely, they'll do it. :)

Speedbump
October 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I used to do it myself, but it's too long now for that. I just can't get a reliable number out of it. Last time, Koala Kim measured it for me. :D

Chanterelle
October 17th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I'm pathetic at measuring myself, so I always ask my mum or my boyfriend. They think it's funny and they enjoy it :) Weirdly enough, I've never thought it was embarassing.

Besides, I'm currectly checking efficiency of my home-made hair growth enhancing treatments so I obviously need consistent measurements ;)

plainjanegirl
October 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm pathetic at measuring myself, so I always ask my mum or my boyfriend. They think it's funny and they enjoy it :) Weirdly enough, I've never thought it was embarassing.

Besides, I'm currectly checking efficiency of my home-made hair growth enhancing treatments so I obviously need consistent measurements ;)

So what are your homemade hair growth treatments??? Sorry I am curious.

Chanterelle
October 18th, 2008, 05:54 AM
plainjanegirl, do you want exact recipes & methods?

Be warned, they sound weird :)

1. ground mustard + warm tea + egg yolk
2. cognac (or brandy) + egg yolk + shampoo
3. grated fresh ginger + jojoba oil

+ I have a few more I haven't tried yet.

If you want elaborated instructions, just ask :)

Actually I'm going to start a blog here (i.e. when I have enough posts to do it ;)) with monthly measurements to find out the most efficient recipe. So far (1) seems to work the best but I couldn't evaluate the results properly as it's only when I found LHC that I saw a reliable measuring method. I couldn't think of one myself. So far I was measuring my hair on a striped shirt.

Siava
October 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Every time I've tried to measure I've always had different results...even if it was 2 seconds later. Plus, my tape measurer has a metal bit at the end that ALWAYS snatches a couple of strands out of my head. I gave up measuring. Now I use my back tattoo as a progress chart. :lol: