PDA

View Full Version : Hm, purple...or red?

Nadine <3
November 12th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I've been tossing around the idea of dying the last couple inches of my virgin hair with manic panic. I've decided to plunge into it, but I don't know what color to do. I'm trying to decide between Vampire Red and Purple Haze but I'm concerned about how it will look with my skin tone and how the colors will turn out over my virgin hair. Anyone have experience with these colors? Cough cough, Pastina?

for reference this is my face and hair color in the best lighting I could find. It's really grey and yucky outside.
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/013_zpsy7qaye1u.jpg

and check out that awesome cowlick in my bangs LOL!

ANyways, any tips, trick, opinions? :)

sweetaj
November 12th, 2015, 07:05 PM
I'd have a hard time choosing too! I have no color experience so I'm no help, but I hope you post some pics when you get it done.

Seeshami
November 12th, 2015, 07:06 PM
My red is temporarily purple right now so I can't guide you there

Nadine <3
November 12th, 2015, 07:06 PM
I'd have a hard time choosing too! I have no color experience so I'm no help, but I hope you post some pics when you get it done.

Haha no worries! I have zero experience either. Maybe reading the replies here will be helpful for you as well! :)

Anje
November 12th, 2015, 07:13 PM
My natural color is a bit darker than yours, but I had trouble getting purple look purple on my hair; it mostly looked black or else didn't show up. By comparison, I have a magenta-based red in my hair right now and it's pretty obvious.

Nadine <3
November 12th, 2015, 07:21 PM
My natural color is a bit darker than yours, but I had trouble getting purple look purple on my hair; it mostly looked black or else didn't show up. By comparison, I have a magenta-based red in my hair right now and it's pretty obvious.

Drat! I really like purple too! I'm not willing to touch my fine hair with bleach either, it snaps if I look at it funny already. Thank you!

Seeshami
November 12th, 2015, 07:36 PM
With that i would start purple and have red as a back up plan. My pure is over my red and very dark black purple on the ends but it will wash out slowly so i dont care

hennalonghair
November 12th, 2015, 07:42 PM
I'm surprised how dark yours came out Seeshami .
Especially since your hairs not that dark.
Does it all wash out completely?

hennalonghair
November 12th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Sorry I'm not much help Nadine. I've never used it. :shrug:

Seeshami
November 12th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I'm surprised how dark yours came out Seeshami .
Especially since your hairs not that dark.
Does it all wash out completely?

Dunno yet. I am not. It's over henna oh and I have no idea what we are all talking about my hair being purple. It's not... Its really dark red... It really is :wink:

Nadine <3
November 12th, 2015, 07:46 PM
With that i would start purple and have red as a back up plan. My pure is over my red and very dark black purple on the ends but it will wash out slowly so i dont care

Can I ask how your ends got purple? I thought you use henna? lol

Sorry I'm not much help Nadine. I've never used it. :shrug:

It's okay, me neither. I think I might just get the vampire red and test it on a strand to see what it looks like. I thought I read somewhere that red dyes fade quickly, so maybe it won't stick around very long. My friend once dyed her entire head red and it was gone in a week!

Frankenstein
November 12th, 2015, 07:48 PM
I have no experience with Manic Panic but I think either color would look great, red probably moreso :)

hennalonghair
November 12th, 2015, 07:49 PM
I personally love the vampire red colour. Maybe purple will show up better once you've done it with vampire red?

Seeshami
November 12th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Can I ask how your ends got purple? I thought you use henna? lol

It's okay, me neither. I think I might just get the vampire red and test it on a strand to see what it looks like. I thought I read somewhere that red dyes fade quickly, so maybe it won't stick around very long. My friend once dyed her entire head red and it was gone in a week!

Naughty ness tripped and fell in some artic fox veggie dye that AspenSong left laying around my house when she came up to baby sit me

Robot Ninja
November 12th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Purple haze will make your hair darker. I don't know how purple it will make it, because my hair is darker than yours, but also has a lot of grey, but you will definitely get a purple cast in sunlight.

Vampire Red will definitely show up. Actually, my kid's hair is very close to yours in color, and I dyed her hair with Vampire Red for Halloween. It was most definitely red; however, I think it might have been a bit warm for her skin tone. If you're cool-toned, you might want to mix it with a cooler color. When I was using it I actually mixed it with Purple Haze, which looked good on me (also cool-toned) and made it just a bit darker, but still very much red.

Purple Haze fades out pretty fast, so if you end up not liking it you're not stuck with it forever. Vampire Red, on the other hand....I think we have a member who still had some red in her hair months after she dyed it.

Sarah08
November 12th, 2015, 07:56 PM
I think purple would suit you best. :) When red fades it kind of looks dirty and cheap...it might have less of that effect with purple...maybe. Anyway, enjoy whatever color you choose! I just ombre-ed my hair and love it. :)

pastina
November 12th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Nadine! <3 <3

So, Purple Haze is good in that it's pink based (so it'll play nicely over natural hair), but it's bad in that it's not super strong. I'm not convinced it'll show up too well on your hair without it being lightened a bit. I'm pretty sure this is the color Aspen used recently, and it ended up pretty subtle.

Meanwhile, Vampire Red is one that I've seen loads of people use over virgin hair with no issue.

But.... Dont let that deter you. If you'd prefer purple, I'd recommend Special FX in Pimpin Purple. It's my favorite, a nice Snark Snark Purple with a bright pink base. And, if it's too dark for you, you can always mix in a bit of white conditioner to dilute it and mellow it out. (**eta-- there's an example of Pimpin over unbleached hair on page 3 of the linked gallery!)

I would love to direct you to the galleries of BeeUnique (http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/unbleachedpage1.html). <---That one is specifically a gallery of semi dyes done over unbleached hair. But there are tabs at the top of the page-- if you select "Search by Brand and Color" you can see most dye colors in action, and it's noted if the color is a faded or diluted dye, and whether or not it was applied to pre-lightened hair. That might help you to get a better feel for what these colors look like.

If you have other questions for me, let me know!! I love to enable when it comes to color! <3 <3

Seeshami
November 12th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Hahahahahahaha snark snark color! Is he really that famous?

pastina
November 12th, 2015, 08:12 PM
^Yes. He is that famous.

....Also! I want to clear something up--- Red permanent dyes fade SUPER quickly. Red SEMI Permanent dyes are a different story-- they stick around! I just recently convinced a friend of mine to switch from permanent red to semi, despite how counter-intuitive it sounds... but she finally did, and she's been shocked at how tenacious it is. ....I had red hair all through high school, done with permanent dye, and I wish I'd known how much better semis stayed!

Nadine <3
November 12th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Thank you Pastina! Now that I know red sticks around I REALLY want Purple. I'm a total noob and I really want something that's going to fade rather quickly, and actually a subtle color wouldn't be the end of the world either. I think I'm going to spend the next several hours looking at all the colors on the site you posted now lol! If I like the subtle color then maybe I'll move on to something brighter and more clingy :)

pastina
November 12th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Sounds like Purple Haze might be perfect for you!

Nadine <3
November 12th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Yaas, If I have time I'll go to sally's in the morning and see if they have it!

Now silly question, what's the best way to do it? My mom would murder me if she came home from work and the shower was purple...the bathroom was just redone and it's very, very white lol I saw the bathroom after my then roommate dyed hers and it was a huge mess. I need step by step instructions for minimal mess making...

pastina
November 12th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Ooooh. Yeah. This becomes riskier, then. Your best defense is to get someone to help you.

After that, I'd cover the floor, the sink, and every other surface as best you can. I use old towels and plastic bags. ...Make sure you have paper towels available, and something alcohol based to clean with if you get dye on something that's not covered. The faster you clean it up and spray it with hair spray or douse it in hand sanitizer/rubbing alcohol/etc, the better your chances of getting it wiped clean. (Quick tip... Hand sanitizer is also really great for getting dye off your skin.)

As for actually rinsing... Well... I wouldn't do it in a new, pristinely white shower! Even using cold water, you're running a risk there. My shower isn't new *or* white, and I still tend to get the heavy stuff out of my hair first in the sink (or under the tub faucet while sitting on the floor and leaning into the tub). This is because, if I just jump right into the shower to rinse, I tend to splatter run-off everywhere-- ceiling, walls of the shower, everywhere. That run-off water is my downfall. Even if I've been really meticulous, the tub tends to be vaguely tinged purple or green, or whatever.

Actual dying process? You want to use a clarifying shampoo first, with no conditioner, oils, anything like that, and then you let your hair dry. Then you'd apply your dye! If you mix in a bit of conditioner, it helps minimize the run-off I mentioned. You can apply with either a tinting brush, or gloved hands, whichever is easier for you. If you're just doing your ends, you might want to use a hair tie as a guide. Tie your hair into a low pony at your nape, then slide the elastic down to wherever you want your dip-dye to start. You'd dye everything below the elastic. ...Then, after your hair is saturated in dye, you can cover the dyed hair in plastic (I sometimes even use an inside out glove!) and hold that in place with the elastic.

You can leave a semi in your hair as long as you want. The longer, the better. I typically aim for at least two hours, but I know people who go overnight.

And then you rinse! Cold water is best, it helps to close the cuticle and trap some dye. ...And I never shampoo right after a dye job, I just condition. Some people swear by vinegar rinses, but I've never done one, so I can't really give an opinion for or against.

Don't wear a white shirt for a few days, at least. Don't sleep on a super fancy white pillow without covering it first. Don't lean your wet hair against upholstery. Don't get caught in the rain for the first few days without an umbrella. And no really light colored hair toys for the first few days!

AspenSong
November 12th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Yeah.....my purple haze MP ends were like a dark wine-y purple. The MP Ultra violet was way more purple when I did the underlayer of my hair, but left my hair faster I think.

Can't wait to see whatever you do!

SparkleToes
November 12th, 2015, 09:54 PM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/750x/5b/f7/c5/5bf7c5da2d32d4383c9f9cd0c79c329b.jpg
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/750x/fd/09/21/fd0921c5301d26083f3b4d3036588789.jpg

Hope this helps :)by the way I think I like purple haze

hennalonghair
November 12th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Yeah.....my purple haze MP ends were like a dark wine-y purple. The MP Ultra violet was way more purple when I did the underlayer of my hair, but left my hair faster I think.

Can't wait to see whatever you do!

So you did it already? We wanna see:joy:

AspenSong
November 12th, 2015, 10:34 PM
So you did it already? We wanna see:joy:

Haha...no. Not yet...I was just talking my previous purple endeavors!

hennalonghair
November 12th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Haha...no. Not yet...I was just talking my previous purple endeavors!

Check! Thanks! We still want pics:cheer:

Isilme
November 13th, 2015, 04:16 AM
I just want to chime in with the fact that I have managed to remove Special Effects (similar to MP) stains from my parents plastic washing machine top. I used one of those cleaners with pesky micro beads, I'm sure you have something similar where you live.
http://www.xn--ob-eka.se/hushallet/stada-diska/allrengoring-sapa/allrengoring-cif-3605927 (in Swedish)

lapushka
November 13th, 2015, 04:25 AM
I'm going to be a little rude... I would go with the purple. Back when I had acne, I avoided red, because I felt it emphasized the bumps on my face. But that might just have been me. :o

parkmikii
November 13th, 2015, 04:35 AM
I'd go for the purple too as I don't like cool reds XD
I love coppery colours though

KittyBird
November 13th, 2015, 04:59 AM
I'm going to be a little rude... I would go with the purple. Back when I had acne, I avoided red, because I felt it emphasized the bumps on my face. But that might just have been me. :o
I still have some acne, and I've got red hair and I wear red lipbalm and often red clothes. :p I don't think it emphasizes the red bumps on my face, but even if it did, I don't think that dying the ends of the hair red would make much of a difference. The hair around Nadine<3's face would still be her natural colour. However, I would also go with purple because it's my favourite colour. ;)

lapushka
November 13th, 2015, 05:06 AM
I still have some acne, and I've got red hair and I wear red lipbalm and often red clothes. :p I don't think it emphasizes the red bumps on my face, but even if it did, I don't think that dying the ends of the hair red would make much of a difference. The hair around Nadine<3's face would still be her natural colour. However, I would also go with purple because it's my favourite colour. ;)

Yes, but the Manic Panic color she mentioned is *vibrant* and henna red is more muted. I had henna red when I had acne as well :o but this color is more ... I don't know, it's just redder.

KittyBird
November 13th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Yes, but the Manic Panic color she mentioned is *vibrant* and henna red is more muted. I had henna red when I had acne as well :o but this color is more ... I don't know, it's just redder.
I've used manic panic and directions dye over my henna a few times, which resulted in a very vibrant red, and I still don't think it made my skin look any worse. ;)

lapushka
November 13th, 2015, 05:51 AM
I've used manic panic and directions dye over my henna a few times, which resulted in a very vibrant red, and I still don't think it made my skin look any worse. ;)

Oh well, see, maybe it's just my particular hang-up. Sorry, guys & Nadine! You need to do what you think is best! Of course!!!

bunneh.
November 13th, 2015, 06:04 AM
I hennaed my hair and I think it made the pink in my face less noticeable (I have very pink cheeks and a couple of pimples, but I don't think henna emphasized them). I guess it depends on the person.

hennalonghair
November 13th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Oh well, see, maybe it's just my particular hang-up. Sorry, guys & Nadine! You need to do what you think is best! Of course!!!

:thumbsup:

Nellon
November 13th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Purple purple purple!!! :magic:

Nadine <3
November 13th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Alright guys, I went this morning and got the goods (and then realized I forgot gloves, but I had to stop at the pharmacy and the ladies where so nice and gave me two pairs!) I got out of the shower a bit ago and lets just say that my hair without conditioner is like hay. It's so fuzzy and tangly! Just waiting on it to dry and then I get to try and carefully comb it out AND THEN THE DYE. I'm so excited, nervous but excited!

Also this dye matches my purple satin pillow cases perfectly haha I'll probably still sleep on a towel, but I thought it was funny.

MeAndTheMaz
November 13th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Yaas, If I have time I'll go to sally's in the morning and see if they have it!

Now silly question, what's the best way to do it? My mom would murder me if she came home from work and the shower was purple...the bathroom was just redone and it's very, very white lol I saw the bathroom after my then roommate dyed hers and it was a huge mess. I need step by step instructions for minimal mess making...

Might be a little bit late, but you notice the already dyed bathroom you mention your friend has? I'd use that one. Two messes in one bathroom has got to be better than one mess in two bathrooms. :)

Nadine <3
November 13th, 2015, 10:40 AM
The dye is in and wrapped! No going back now guys :)

Nadine <3
November 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Might be a little bit late, but you notice the already dyed bathroom you mention your friend has? I'd use that one. Two messes in one bathroom has got to be better than one mess in two bathrooms. :)

We don't live there anymore haha

I didn't get dye anywhere though, just a bit on my shirt :)

Anje
November 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Given that my bathtub is currently tie-dyed pink, I think I'd suggest the procedure for rinsing that I saw someone here endorse: She recommended filling up the tub and doing the initial rinse mermaid-style. The idea is that the dye is way more diluted than it is being rinsed from your hair under the shower, so it doesn't stain as much.

Unless you have a sink that's likely to fare better than my bathroom sink, which stains about as readily as the tub!

Nadine <3
November 13th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Given that my bathtub is currently tie-dyed pink, I think I'd suggest the procedure for rinsing that I saw someone here endorse: She recommended filling up the tub and doing the initial rinse mermaid-style. The idea is that the dye is way more diluted than it is being rinsed from your hair under the shower, so it doesn't stain as much.

Unless you have a sink that's likely to fare better than my bathroom sink, which stains about as readily as the tub!

I wonder if the kitchen would be better as it's stainless steal? If it was still warm out I'd go rinse it outside with the hose, but it's snowing!

MeAndTheMaz
November 13th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I was about to suggest going outside to rinse off in the yard, but snow? It's too early for that. Just think: purple snow!

Seventy7
November 13th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Ohh, I'm so curious how it turns out!
I'm a little bit jealous that you dare to do it as I love the look of coloured ends. I'm just too much of a chicken to really do it..

I'm sure it'll look stunning on you. :popcorn:

Nadine <3
November 13th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I was about to suggest going outside to rinse off in the yard, but snow? It's too early for that. Just think: purple snow!

Yup!! Tiny little flurries, and lots of wind! Brrrr.

Ohh, I'm so curious how it turns out!
I'm a little bit jealous that you dare to do it as I love the look of coloured ends. I'm just too much of a chicken to really do it..

I'm sure it'll look stunning on you. :popcorn:

Thank you! I'm really hoping it turns out well! I've wanted to dye my hair a fun color since I was like...10 years old? I went to a school that didn't allow you to color your hair though, and once I got to high school I was to much of a chicken. I was very shy and didn't want to stand out I guess. Now I'm plunging into it, finally at almost 23 lol

jt623
November 13th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Good luck. ;) I tried a streak of violet manic panic on my natural virgin haircolor several years ago. Violet barely showed up on my natural level 7 haircolor. A darker purple probably would have.

lazuliblue
November 13th, 2015, 01:24 PM
My hair is about the same colour as yours Nadine and I ended up colouring some of it purple by mixing one of the blue manic panic colours with the hot pink one. The pink, blue and purple all showed up. Not that this is a lot of help now because I can see that you are in the middle of colouring your hair!

Nadine <3
November 13th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Just got done rinsing and I think it's safe to say my hair takes dye extremely well! I was prepared for a shower of purple so I rinsed it out in a bowl of cold water first to try and minimize the splatter that ends up in the shower. When I dumped the water it was only very slightly tinted purple. Got in the shower and nothing. The water was clear right away. My hair ate all the dye I put on.

Can't wait for it to dry!

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Just got done rinsing and I think it's safe to say my hair takes dye extremely well! I was prepared for a shower of purple so I rinsed it out in a bowl of cold water first to try and minimize the splatter that ends up in the shower. When I dumped the water it was only very slightly tinted purple. Got in the shower and nothing. The water was clear right away. My hair ate all the dye I put on.

Can't wait for it to dry!

Me neither lol :popcorn:

Eastbound&Down
November 13th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Nadine can't wait to see it! I am so looking forward to the day I can have fun with my hair again!

RainbowBowser
November 13th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Can't wait to see! I will be keeping this tab up and refresh the page periodically :3

Nadine <3
November 13th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I didn't have patience to wait for it to dry, so I took the blow dryer to it. I'm obsessed with it!

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/005_zpsmpyh2pxh.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow, hopefully the sun is out!

Rowdy
November 13th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Wow! It looks amazing!!

hennalonghair
November 13th, 2015, 03:21 PM
That looks great Nadine .Good choice.

lapushka
November 13th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Oooh that *is* pretty! And I'm not much for colorful dyes, but this is so subtle and goes with your brown color really well. It's a nice shade of purple!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 13th, 2015, 03:35 PM
That looks absolutely stunning! Can't wait for more pics!

parkmikii
November 13th, 2015, 03:36 PM
So beautiful!

Anje
November 13th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Oooh, that's fantastic! I'm glad you got such great results!

pastina
November 13th, 2015, 03:56 PM
LOVE IT!! <3 Looks and sounds like you did a great job! :hifive:

Robot Ninja
November 13th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Ooo, it looks great! I'm glad the purple worked out for you.

oceanlove
November 13th, 2015, 04:41 PM
I didn't have patience to wait for it to dry, so I took the blow dryer to it. I'm obsessed with it!

I love it! Just stopping by to say it looks great, you did a good job!

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 04:41 PM
I LOVE it :thumbsup:

RainbowBowser
November 13th, 2015, 05:01 PM
It looks great! :D

Isilme
November 13th, 2015, 05:13 PM
That looks great. Since it turned out so well it would probably look good if you did your whole head, too.

TheDebby
November 13th, 2015, 05:24 PM
You did a great job!
Love the color on your hair. ;)

vega
November 13th, 2015, 06:22 PM
I've been tossing around the idea of dying the last couple inches of my virgin hair with manic panic. I've decided to plunge into it, but I don't know what color to do. I'm trying to decide between Vampire Red and Purple Haze but I'm concerned about how it will look with my skin tone and how the colors will turn out over my virgin hair. Anyone have experience with these colors? Cough cough, Pastina?

for reference this is my face and hair color in the best lighting I could find. It's really grey and yucky outside.
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/013_zpsy7qaye1u.jpg

and check out that awesome cowlick in my bangs LOL!

ANyways, any tips, trick, opinions? :)

I think purple would suit you

yahirwaO.o
November 13th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Those purple ends are fantastic Nadine!!! No more to say!!!

MsPharaohMoan
November 14th, 2015, 12:26 AM
Ooh I bet it looks lovely with your blue eyes... For hair that seems to devour olive oil, I can't say I'm surprised it took to the dye so well. Congrats and enjoy! :3

syndel
November 14th, 2015, 12:47 AM

Looks killer! I love it! :D

Nellon
November 14th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Wow! It goes really well with your hair colour as well! Purple ends for the win ;)

eshta
November 14th, 2015, 04:00 AM
That a very deep and gorgeous purple, it looks great and like Nellon said it goes really well with your virgin color.

bunneh.
November 14th, 2015, 04:38 AM
That came out great! :D

cat11
November 14th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Nadine that looks amazing Ilove the eggplant color. And your ends are wonderful! I wish mine were that straight and healthy.

Nadine <3
November 14th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Holy cow! Thank you all so much for the lovely compliments! I'm ridiculously happy with it! I think when it fades I'll be doing it again, this time further up. I WANT MOAR COLOR.

It's clinging to my hair really well. Nothing bled at all last night! I even dribbled water on my ends on accident while trying to drink from my water bottle while laying down and it still didn't bleed lol

Upon waking up this morning, I ran outside (I mean right away. I got out of bed, grabbed my camera and walked out the front door haha) to get a photo on my hair in the sun.
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/025_zpstdgrlvsy.jpg

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/028_zpsix9f8dxj.jpg

Still rather hard to do by yourself lol

Arwenlily
November 14th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Nadine! Your hair looks amazing! I love how the purple looks in the sun, I am drooling over here. And your hair looks so healthy and shiny ... bring on the color!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 14th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Nadine that is such a glorious color!

Groovy Granny
November 14th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Holy cow! Thank you all so much for the lovely compliments! I'm ridiculously happy with it! I think when it fades I'll be doing it again, this time further up. I WANT MOAR COLOR.

It's clinging to my hair really well. Nothing bled at all last night! I even dribbled water on my ends on accident while trying to drink from my water bottle while laying down and it still didn't bleed lol

Upon waking up this morning, I ran outside (I mean right away. I got out of bed, grabbed my camera and walked out the front door haha) to get a photo on my hair in the sun.

Still rather hard to do by yourself lol

Your hair is beautiful and I love your color...natural and ends; good job :thumbsup:

meteor
November 14th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Nadine <3, that's incredibly gorgeous results! :bowtome: I love those purple ends! How cool! :applause Congratulations! :toast:

Arctic
November 14th, 2015, 12:04 PM
It looks beautiful, both indoors and outdoors light!

jt623
November 14th, 2015, 04:37 PM
The deep purple look nice. Good choice Nadine!

cathair
November 14th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Ohhh it's lovely! I agree it compliments your hair colour really nicely, I can see why you are so happy :) Glad it didn't bleed much, mine doesn't either. Did use to in the past, dyes seem to have changed from what I remember them being :shrug: I hope it lasts a good while for you, it sounds like it might if it sucked up the dye so easily :)

rhosyn_du
November 14th, 2015, 05:55 PM
That purple is stunning on you! It's great you didn't get much bleeding, either. I've always had terrible bleeding with semi-permanent dyes, which is part of why I stopped using them.

It might be a cool vs. warm red thing. I tend to look much better in cool colors, and even really vibrant cool reds like this one don't bring out my acne, but put a red that's even a little bit orangey next to my face, and any spots I have practically glow. It sounds like maybe you ran into the same issue, only for you, warm reds work better than cool.

Rushli
November 14th, 2015, 06:00 PM
perfect purple for you! love it!

hypersensitive
November 14th, 2015, 10:38 PM
I'm so glad you picked purple! It is so pretty! It completely reminds me of my purple ends! :swoon:

RavenRose
November 14th, 2015, 11:18 PM
That purple look great!

Miss_Green
November 15th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I love it, beautiful job! Was it hard to stop the dye spreading upwards? This has made me think that I really should dye my tips pink... I'm growing out bleach anyway so don't have much to lose (I think!).

Nadine <3
November 15th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Thank you all so much for the lovely compliments! You're all far to kind. :blossom:

I love it, beautiful job! Was it hard to stop the dye spreading upwards? This has made me think that I really should dye my tips pink... I'm growing out bleach anyway so don't have much to lose (I think!).

Hm, it didn't spread far up as far as I can tell. I pony tailed it at my nape and then pony tailed it again and pulled it down the length as a barrier, and then mushed the dye in with my gloved hands. Then I used a comb to comb in the dye and spread it a bit further up. I didn't want a perfect line were the color just stops so my purple fades gently into my natural color.

I think if you have bleached ends you're trying to grow out you should add a splash of color just for fun!

Today I washed my hair for the first time after dying it and the shampoo did make it bleed quite a bit. Weirdly enough even though it bled, it looked brighter when it dried. I love it though! I get a pretty purple strip in my buns now :)

bunneh.
November 15th, 2015, 03:30 PM
So shiny. *o* Purple really looks amazing on you. :)

Nadine <3
November 15th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Hm...I may or may not be sitting here with more dye in my hair...I took the purple up to about shoulder length. It's a slippery slope between "Oh maybe just my tips" to "I WANNA BE A RAINBOW."

syndel
November 15th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Hm...I may or may not be sitting here with more dye in my hair...I took the purple up to about shoulder length. It's a slippery slope between "Oh maybe just my tips" to "I WANNA BE A RAINBOW."

Be a rainbow. I believe in you. :p

hennalonghair
November 15th, 2015, 06:54 PM

Hee Hee :D

Nadine <3
November 15th, 2015, 08:48 PM

LOL!

It'S SO PURPLE I AM SO SATISFIED. also I really enjoy the way manic panic smells. haha

Ingrid
November 15th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I'm considering doing the same thing (purple), on my dyed ends. Although my underlying colour would be orange, so I'm not sure whether the purple will turn out nice...

It looks really good on you! Looking forward to seeing how it looks like up to shoulder length :)

Sterlyn
November 15th, 2015, 09:12 PM

:rollin:

I love the purple and LOL I completely understand the rainbow thing..............

Agnieszka
November 16th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Nadine, it looks fab!!! Love it!!!

Windflower
November 16th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Very pretty! It looks wonderful.:o

cathair
November 16th, 2015, 06:27 AM
You stopped at shoulder? I admire your self restraint :D Leave space for another colour at the top I guess ;) Can't wait for pics!

Arctic
November 16th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Oh yes, moar picturs pliiz!

Sterlyn
November 16th, 2015, 06:40 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Alright guys! So it's raining and cloudy and gross so I had to keep the photos inside and the lighting is horrible but you get the idea. It's purple!

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/037_zpswn2kw0bm.jpg

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/038_zpszzn9jaty.jpg

I love it! I *think* I'm satisfied with the amount of purple I have...for now :)

hennalonghair
November 16th, 2015, 11:03 AM
It looks beautiful on you. What a stunning shade of purple.

Nellon
November 16th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Looks great! (I wonder if tomorrow it'll be to your ears?) ;)

lapushka
November 16th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Is it just me, Nadine, or did your hair just *grow* all of a sudden?

missblueeyes
November 16th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Gosh, I love that shade of purple so much! :crush! Pulling it up to your shoulder was a really good idea! I think you should update your signature. You must have reached BSL by now, right? :o

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2015, 11:18 AM
It looks beautiful on you. What a stunning shade of purple.
Thank you! I love this shade too, it's exactly what I wanted! I have quite a few belongings that match it perfectly :)

Looks great! (I wonder if tomorrow it'll be to your ears?) ;)
I did toss around the idea of adding a few streaks to my bangs...:whistle:

Is it just me, Nadine, or did your hair just *grow* all of a sudden?

Not just you! I trimmed off a half an inch a bit ago and that half inch grew back and then some. My hair grows much faster in the fall and winter for some reason.

Sterlyn
November 16th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I really like that color on your hair, it took really well for virgin hair.

The mixed blessing with manic panic I've found is it doesn't last long, I'm lucky if I get 3 weeks out of it and that's with cold washes 2-3 times a week. I like to use it to see how I like a color or technique before I commit to the stuff that lasts longer.

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Gosh, I love that shade of purple so much! :crush! Pulling it up to your shoulder was a really good idea! I think you should update your signature. You must have reached BSL by now, right? :o

Yeah, I'm completely past my bra strap lol I've just been lazy :oops:

Senna
November 16th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I think purple would suit you! But it is difficult to achieve.

I've dyed my hair with a permanent purple hair dye and it turned out pretty dark as well. I didn't really like it, it was too dark. After that, I used color remover to remove the dark purple and I was planning to dye my hair with Manic Panic Purple Haze but I never did it.. I dyed it red instead :)

And I have an awesome cowlick too! :cool:

Senna
November 16th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Oops! I forgot to read the other ten pages...

Nellon
November 16th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I did toss around the idea of adding a few streaks to my bangs...:whistle:

Hahaha! I knew it! ;)

I'll be sure to check back in a while then...

Ingrid
November 17th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Ok... that settles it!!! Your hair looks wayyyy too gorgeous for me not to copy-cat :laugh:

/buys purple haze

Miss_Green
November 17th, 2015, 06:07 AM
Hm, it didn't spread far up as far as I can tell. I pony tailed it at my nape and then pony tailed it again and pulled it down the length as a barrier, and then mushed the dye in with my gloved hands. Then I used a comb to comb in the dye and spread it a bit further up. I didn't want a perfect line were the color just stops so my purple fades gently into my natural color.

I think if you have bleached ends you're trying to grow out you should add a splash of color just for fun!

Awesome, thanks for the explanation. Your pics from yesterday look great too - I think bringing it higher up was a good idea!

stachelbeere
November 17th, 2015, 01:20 PM
amaaazing!

Llama
November 17th, 2015, 08:49 PM
I really like the color starting up higher. Nice job, looks good!

CaranDulin
November 21st, 2015, 02:41 PM
So beautiful! This thread actually got me thinking about colors, and I took the plunge just last night! Got some fuchsia shock on my ends c:

Loving my hair in a serious way, haha. Thanks for the inspiration!

pastina
November 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM
Oh mannn I love how many people are trying color on this forum lately! :cheese:

MeAndTheMaz
November 22nd, 2015, 06:11 AM
So beautiful! This thread actually got me thinking about colors, and I took the plunge just last night! Got some fuchsia shock on my ends c:

Loving my hair in a serious way, haha. Thanks for the inspiration!

Pictures to follow. . .? :popcorn:

Sterlyn
November 22nd, 2015, 07:29 AM
I would love to see pics too CarinDulin ........

CaranDulin
November 22nd, 2015, 04:15 PM
I hope this is okay, I really didn't want to hijack the thread.
But since you asked:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19968&d=1448233737

hennalonghair
November 22nd, 2015, 04:23 PM
Cool! :sun:

Groovy Granny
November 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM
Oh mannn I love how many people are trying color on this forum lately! :cheese:
YOU are the inspiration :flowers:

I hope this is okay, I really didn't want to hijack the thread.
But since you asked:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19968&d=1448233737
Wow; what beautiful color,length, and texture/wave :thumbsup:

CaranDulin
November 23rd, 2015, 09:06 AM
Cool! :sun:

Wow; what beautiful color,length, and texture/wave :thumbsup:

Thanks so much! Those are crown braid waves. c:

vpatt
November 24th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks so much! Those are crown braid waves. c:

They are certainly pretty.