PDA

View Full Version : horrible hairloss from cyst

marlb91
November 12th, 2015, 11:25 AM
WARNING this post it kind of gross.

i have had a cyst on my head for a few years, most of the hair on the cyst had disappeared and that was ok because i could cover it. then the cyst became infected so my doctor cut into it and i managed to get most of it out. of course it came back and got infected again, this time it was the size of a golf ball (or so it seemed to me) and was VERY painful.

i ended up going to the hospital where it was drained and a few days later the sac actually came out and it is basically gone now :)

my problem is that a seemingly large portion of my hair on and around where the cyst was has just completely gone. its on the top of my head and just above my fringe so i have to clip my hair into a side parting to cover it. i'm mortified.

has anybody experienced this or know someone else who has experienced this? what did you/ they do?

i have ordered a supplement called hair anew but i was gonna use that anyway.

thankyou!!

tigereye
November 12th, 2015, 11:57 AM
My mum had a cebaceous cyst on the crown of her head. Same thing - the hair stopped growing, eventually they got it surgically removed around 5 years ago.
She still has a bald spot, but it's not as bad as it was. It's mostly only noticeable when she does French braids and the partings expose it. For a few years she used special shampoos and what not to try and help it grow back but she stopped because she didn't think it made much difference. She learnt how to part and style her hair in ways that covered it. She says if anything helped it, it was time (just like all hair growth I suppose)

marlb91
November 12th, 2015, 12:50 PM
thanks for replying, that makes me feel better. i got very freaked out as the hair that wasn't even on the cyst has fallen out but it was very inflamed so i guess that disrupted my hair follicles. ill try to not stress about it

lapushka
November 12th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Your hair will grow back, I'm sure it will. It should, normally.

marlb91
November 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM
yes i hope so!!