PDA

View Full Version : % of peroxide in box dyes?

diddiedaisy
November 11th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Does anybody know what kind of percentages of hydrogen peroxide go into box blonde, in particular light ash blonde? It's top secret information apparently just in case I want to make it myself at home!!!

pastina
November 11th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Could be 30 volume, but might be stronger. ...The companies don't like to tell you.

meteor
November 11th, 2015, 05:04 PM
...The companies don't like to tell you.

Argh, exactly! :( I can't comprehend how it is not a requirement to list it on packaging yet.

Sorry, diddiedaisy, there is no one answer to that. Different box dyes can have different peroxide vol. :flower:

diddiedaisy
November 11th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Could be 30 volume, but might be stronger. ...The companies don't like to tell you.

Oh, I didn't expect it to be that much. I thought that was more the white blonde, I don't like the sound of 30 lol

meteor, I know what you mean, how can they can get without telling you.

missblueeyes
November 12th, 2015, 03:55 AM
Volume 30 contains 9% hydrogen peroxide. :) Which I still think is WAY too much. I find that you get the best results with 3% (vol 10) or 6% (vol 20). Anything beyond that should not be put near the scalp imho.

diddiedaisy
November 12th, 2015, 05:06 AM
Volume 30 contains 9% hydrogen peroxide. :) Which I still think is WAY too much. I find that you get the best results with 3% (vol 10) or 6% (vol 20). Anything beyond that should not be put near the scalp imho.

Thankyou for that, the problem is though you don't know the volume in box dyes and they won't tell you.

tigress86
November 12th, 2015, 05:19 AM
I read somewhere that in the EU 6% (20 volume) is the maximum strength of developer allowed in box dyes. Not sure if it's entirely true and if it could be different elsewhere.

diddiedaisy
November 12th, 2015, 05:26 AM
I read somewhere that in the EU 6% (20 volume) is the maximum strength of developer allowed in box dyes. Not sure if it's entirely true and if it could be different elsewhere.

Oh that would be good. I'll see if google can spill the beans on that one lol

diddiedaisy
November 12th, 2015, 05:37 AM
The uk maximum is 12% in box dyes. I'd never thought to google that. So if that's 40 volume I could be using 20 or less for an ash blonde. So annoying you have to guesstimate.

lapushka
November 12th, 2015, 06:43 AM
If you do want to do this at home. Go to a beauty supply store instead of a drugstore and get your dye there. The tubes of color will come separately and you will need to buy and mix your own developer. That's where you *do* get the choice. So there are options. :)

missblueeyes
November 12th, 2015, 07:09 AM
I second what lapushka is suggesting. :) I was doing it this way for years until I stopped dyeing and it always gave me the best results.

diddiedaisy
November 12th, 2015, 09:52 AM
That's a good idea, I didn't realise you could that. I've only been dying my hair about four years and I've always just used box dye. I hate going to the hairdressers, and it's too costly and time consuming as well getting it done there.

I'm waiting for some olaplex to come for next time I do my roots, which is one of the reasons I wanted to know. I'm hoping it does what it says on the tin!!!

meteor
November 12th, 2015, 10:44 AM
^ Yes, buying your own developer is the best way to go, because you control what you do. :) This will also help with proper Olaplex application (since No. 1 is supposed to be added directly to developer while bumping up the Vol.).

Alternatively, you could try things like ordering customized color (e.g. eSalon services), where they send you your own customized color with really fine-tuned developer for your needs (e.g. 15 vol. with 20 vol. for different sections of hair, for example)- this is really useful for any sorts of variations between roots and ends on long hair, as well as color corrections or ombre/highlights...

lapushka
November 12th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Alternatively, you could try things like ordering customized color (e.g. eSalon services), where they send you your own customized color with really fine-tuned developer for your needs (e.g. 15 vol. with 20 vol. for different sections of hair, for example)- this is really useful for any sorts of variations between roots and ends on long hair, as well as color corrections or ombre/highlights...

With the difference between 15/20 vol., wouldn't you have to be very precise in your application process aka almost impossible to do yourself?

Robot Ninja
November 12th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Thankyou for that, the problem is though you don't know the volume in box dyes and they won't tell you.

It might depend on the brand? The last box dye I used had "20 vol" written right on the developer tube. I think it was L'Oreal Preference.

wilderwein
November 12th, 2015, 02:34 PM
It might depend on the brand? The last box dye I used had "20 vol" written right on the developer tube. I think it was L'Oreal Preference.

Totally off topic BUT ROBOT NINJA! Your new avatar :thud: :thudpile:

What kind of bun is this? Are you sure you are a ii? Seems like iii to me!

meteor
November 12th, 2015, 02:43 PM
With the difference between 15/20 vol., wouldn't you have to be very precise in your application process aka almost impossible to do yourself?

:) I was just giving it as an example of how precise the customized color nowadays can be even for DIYers, and for a fraction of a price... Before eSalon types of services, you'd normally have to go to professionals to get that sort of perfect match. :)

lapushka
November 12th, 2015, 02:56 PM
:) I was just giving it as an example of how precise the customized color nowadays can be even for DIYers, and for a fraction of a price... Before eSalon types of services, you'd normally have to go to professionals to get that sort of perfect match. :)

Oh OK, fine! :D