PDA

View Full Version : Wearing your hair down - A group project

Pages : [1] 2

missblueeyes
November 8th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Hello, everyone!

I know that many people on here are growing their hair to be able to wear intricate updos and braids or hairtoys but I do think that there's a fair share of us who grow their manes just to wear them down. You see, some people don't like buns or how they make their face look or even feel naked without their hair down. Or you might have worn your hair up daily for a long time and don't know how to handle those strands in your daily life anymore but want to relearn it. Or you're like me and tend to get obsessive about doing something like protecting their hair in my case and you want to break the cycle and force yourself to enjoy your hair again.

I would like this thread to become somewhat like a group project (think: no trimming) where everyone can set their own, individual goal and where we can motivate eachother to wear our hair down and share our experiences. :) There are so many threads about buns and updos but so little threads that deal with wearing hair down and the special care that it might demand. (more leave-in, gentler detangling, more frequent moisture treatments etc.)

I'm going to start with saying that I would like to wear my hair down at least 50% of the week. 75% would be optimal.
For me, this counts as 'down': down, half-up, ponytail, braid
This counts as up: bun, braided updos

I'm not setting up any rules because I know that it can be hard for anyone whose profession it requires to wear updos or who has different reasons. I just hope we can all have fun and enjoy our hair while escaping the daily-LWB-limbo.

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 01:05 PM
I'll wait till no trimming 2015 is over. And I'll be officially here.
Till then I'll wear more braids, at least 50% of the time when I'll be out. I'm thinking about making a paranda to make them even more intresting.
And from january 2016 I actually want to wear my hair completely down at least lets say once a week.

As you know, I'm one of those people who got overly obsessed over their hair, and it start affecting my everyday life. I'm planning stuff based on my hair :neutral:
It's either that, ore one day I'll get super obsessed over the fact that I "can't" wear it down, and I'll go cut it to a bob or something (wich I'll regret).

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2015, 01:06 PM
I'm in :thumbsup:

I LOVE my hair down and often go with half ups, barrettes, or ponytails in cooler weather.
I'm not much into braids except for bed in Summer or a french braid variation because they are puny (shorted lengths due to a shorter torso) lol

Most of my updos are in the Summer when it is hot and I can't stand my hair on my neck.

Thankfully I don't have an issue with tangling or increased dryness:shrug:

I often feel guilty that I don't do updos as often as the others :wannabe:

Five of Five
November 8th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Great thread idea, Missblueeyes!

Whenever I get bored of my daily buns, I start to seriously consider cutting my hair short so that I can enjoy it 'down' again (including in ponytails, half-ups and braids). However, seeing it in the mirror braided or down again makes me firmly recommit to my long hair!

I will join you by wearing my hair braided to work at least 75% of the time. The length of the braid needs to be redone at lunch time as it gets little fuzzy during the day, but at least it doesn't fall out like buns do!

DreamSheep
November 8th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I think this is a really interesting topic, as I do like to leave my hair down because updos pull a lot.

For now, I only wear it down when I'm walking without a bag or things it can catch on, or if I'm stationary.
I don't do anything special - Rinse Out Oil really helps with keeping my hair supple and moist, and less dry - such that I have to S&D much less than I used to.
I also brush if I've worn it loose afterwards to prevent tangles from getting worse. :)

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Great thread idea, Missblueeyes!

Whenever I get bored of my daily buns, I start to seriously consider cutting my hair short so that I can enjoy it 'down' again (including in ponytails, half-ups and braids). However, seeing it in the mirror braided or down again makes me firmly recommit to my long hair!

I will join you by wearing my hair braided to work at least 75% of the time. The length of the braid needs to be redone at lunch time as it gets little fuzzy during the day, but at least it doesn't fall out like buns do!

I can relate so much!

missblueeyes
November 8th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I can relate so much!

Me too! I almost cut in bangs again to make my updos more interesting... screw that, I'll just let my hair out of its cage! :lol:

I'm happy that so many of you like my idea! :D Welcome!

Robot Ninja
November 8th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I just hope we can all have fun and enjoy our hair while escaping the daily-LWB-limbo.

Daily cinnablob limbo for me! LWBs just don't stay like they used to.

Since you're counting braids, I really should try to wear more braids. I love braids! But they take like, two minutes to do, and a cinnablob takes seconds. I really need to stop being so lazy.

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Me too! I almost cut in bangs again to make my updos more interesting... screw that, I'll just let my hair out of its cage! :lol:

O_O ME TOO! I slapped my self after that thought.

Winter Fox
November 8th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Count me in too :D I just love to wear my hair down because that's my personal motivation to grow it! I love to feel it against my back and to know that it is *long* and healthy.
A lot of updos give me headache after a short time and my hair toys have the annoying tendency to fall out of my hair when I'm walking down the street :lol:

Unfortunately I did the exact thing :( Out of frustration I cut my (finally grown to past shoulder lenght) bangs back to chin length.

Arctic
November 8th, 2015, 01:56 PM
I can be your supportive member :D While I love having my hair up, I also wear it down a lot, and intend to continue doing so with longer lengths.

It's so important to feel good, when we look in the mirror, that a little possible damage is worth it. And besides, many people can both keep their hair long and wear it down all the time. Not everyone has a fragile hair needing to be protected 24/7.

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I can be your supportive member :D While I love having my hair up, I also wear it down a lot, and intend to continue doing so with longer lengths.

It's so important to feel good, when we look in the mirror, that a little possible damage is worth it. And besides, many people can both keep their hair long and wear it down all the time. Not everyone has a fragile hair needing to be protected 24/7.

This :thumbsup:

missblueeyes
November 8th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Daily cinnablob limbo for me! LWBs just don't stay like they used to.

Since you're counting braids, I really should try to wear more braids. I love braids! But they take like, two minutes to do, and a cinnablob takes seconds. I really need to stop being so lazy.

Yes, exactly! It's either that or an LWB but the cinnablob didn't really hold for me for the past months. You should totally go for it, your hair looks awesome in a braid! :)

Count me in too :D I just love to wear my hair down because that's my personal motivation to grow it! I love to feel it against my back and to know that it is *long* and healthy.
A lot of updos give me headache after a short time and my hair toys have the annoying tendency to fall out of my hair when I'm walking down the street :lol:

Unfortunately I did the exact thing :( Out of frustration I cut my (finally grown to past shoulder lenght) bangs back to chin length.

Yay, welcome! Aww, I'm sorry you cut in bangs again. :( On the bright side, it doesn't take that long to grow them from chin to shoulder. At least you didn't get blunt bangs. :)

Absolutely! Thanks for the support, Arctic! :)

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Don't forget to post pictures guys!!!
Soon as I'll make my paranda I'm probably gonna bomb you :D

MsPharaohMoan
November 8th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I'm growing so I can have a wicked long braid. This can be annoying because shed hairs getting trapped = knot city!

Winter Fox
November 8th, 2015, 02:34 PM
I so agree with you Arctic!

missblueeyes: Yes I could have done much worse and when I don't want them I clip them away. It's not too hard to bear it this way :)

@wilderwein: Looking forward to seeing your paranda :D

Ok let the pictures begin! This is how I wore my hair today :)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/641/22454813088_7822f45469.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AdfMBN)

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Winter Fox That looks soooo awesome :thudpile:
Is your hair color your natural hair color? I spot some strawberry blonde tones at the roots *_*

Robi-Bird
November 8th, 2015, 02:39 PM
I like my hair in buns but I love it down and when I finish putting my peakaboos in I'll love it even more. It's the hair in my mind, that perfect or as close to image and when I get it, I'll post pics.

Robot Ninja
November 8th, 2015, 02:44 PM

I actually did cut side bangs to make my hair look better in updos....but then I found that the bangs make it look so much better when it's down, too.

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I actually did cut side bangs to make my hair look better in updos....but then I found that the bangs make it look so much better when it's down, too.

Oh I'm always tempted by side bangs! The only problem is that they really love my forhead and they are stuck on it, every time I get them done :lol:

copperlites
I'm in. I currently wear my hair loose twice a week, at least, on wash days, and sometimes day two if it's still looking doable. I will experiment with ways to increase this with half up or braids.

Winter Fox
Thanks wilderwein :D Nope that is a mixture of henna and indigo (over bleached and chemically dyed hair :lol: ). My natural color is an ashy medium brown :)

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Thanks wilderwein :D Nope that is a mixture of henna and indigo (over bleached and chemically dyed hair :lol: ). My natural color is an ashy medium brown :)

I would never guessed this was bleached hair =O :bowtome:

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2015, 03:03 PM

Gorgeous!

I like my hair in buns but I love it down and when I finish putting my peakaboos in I'll love it even more. It's the hair in my mind, that perfect or as close to image and when I get it, I'll post pics.
Do you mean color/streaks?

I am NOT sorry I grew out my bangs.
Have had them for some 20 years; this is so much easier and looks nicer on me.
There is plenty of new crown growth for tendrils that curl when moistened for a softer effect with updos :)

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Nice idea for a thread! :D I have just gone from wearing it up 6/7 to 7/7, and I only wear it down at night (fully down). I suppose that doesn't count. ;)

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Nice idea for a thread! :D I have just gone from wearing it up 6/7 to 7/7, and I only wear it down at night (fully down). I suppose that doesn't count. ;)

Well it is something! I start wearing my hair down in my sleep as you suggested and my scalp feels way happier!

missblueeyes
November 8th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Well it is something! I start wearing my hair down in my sleep as you suggested and my scalp feels way happier!

I actually started doing that, too! My scalp is way happier than when I used to bun or braid it and my hair is less tangly in the morning than when I braid it. And I don't have braidwaves, which is also a huge plus. :D

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 04:04 PM

I'm glad! :D

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I actually started doing that, too! My scalp is way happier than when I used to bun or braid it and my hair is less tangly in the morning than when I braid it. And I don't have braidwaves, which is also a huge plus. :D
Oh yes! Not to mention that braid waves sometimes makes hair more tangly-ish!

I'm glad! :D
You're a scalp savior! That and clarifying (wich you also suggested it to me) seriously makes my scalp happy!
Happy scalp=happy hair= happy wilderwein

browneyedsusan
November 8th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I'm in. I do wear some half-ups and the like, but almost never wear it loose.

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 04:27 PM
You're a scalp savior! That and clarifying (wich you also suggested it to me) seriously makes my scalp happy!
Happy scalp=happy hair= happy wilderwein

Thank you. I'm so happy! :D It's nice to have feedback on this!!! I recommend so many things sometimes and well, then you never hear about it again, so I think to myself it must not have fared well. :lol:

wilderwein
November 8th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Thank you. I'm so happy! :D It's nice to have feedback on this!!! I recommend so many things sometimes and well, then you never hear about it again, so I think to myself it must not have fared well. :lol:

I'll thank you in another thread for something else too when the right time comes ;)
About the "sleep with loose hair" thing, it should become a thread or something. It stopped my headaches and I'm not even kidding!
It wasn't just a scalp pain, I had headaches during the entire day and I didn't knew why till I start wearing my hair down while sleeping.

goneJackal
November 8th, 2015, 04:39 PM
That's a wonderful idea!
I wonder if people will post photos wearing their hair down and how good it'll l...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/641/22454813088_7822f45469.jpg

...ook... http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_queixo.gif

TheDebby
November 8th, 2015, 04:52 PM
That looks so pretty Winter Fox!

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 05:04 PM
I had just searched the forum last night, for a thread for those who wear their hair down!

I do. :)

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 05:11 PM
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/641/22454813088_7822f45469.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AdfMBN)

:thud:

I too sleep with my hair down. I know that braids are in theory better for it (I can hear my mother's voice... :laugh:), but not for my hair or scalp. It causes a sore scalp, breakage along the length, and wicked tangles all day, for ME.

(On the flip side, my daughter's hair *must* be braided at night, and it has sublime results in her hair. But then... we have very different hair. Go, Grandma! ;))

QuirkyCorky
November 8th, 2015, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to wear my hair down when I'm at home, most of the time. I'm especially trying to not put it up when it's not completely dry. I've been having problems with hair loss, so I'm hoping this helps it

rags
November 8th, 2015, 05:31 PM
My hair is shorter now, so I guess I'm in this a lot by default. :p I'm wearing it down 75 percent of the time (it's past collarbone and I can French or Dutch braid it and do French twists.). Surprisingly, I've always counted braids as "up", so until my recent cut from hip, that means I wore it "down" much more than I thought if we count half-ups and braids. :p

My hair is very, very fragile and easily broken, and I got massive tangles sleeping with it loose at hip (I'm a wildly restless sleeper). So I use a silk sleep cap. I LOVE my sleep cap! Down - but no tangles! :p

lillielil
November 8th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I would love to do this eventually. Right now I always bun it to hide hideous ends, but as I trim them out I would like to start wearing my hair down occasionally. And I would really like to master the half-up. I think they always look weird on me.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 8th, 2015, 05:52 PM
I don't often wear my hair down but it was such a gorgeous day today that I did whilst on a walk along the beach at Ventura, California:

https://youtu.be/YkPkt7blnC4

I do enjoy wearing my hair down, I just rarely do it :) My hair enjoyed its freedom today.

Beborani
November 8th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I was wearing it down a lot until a few months ago when it became a bit too long but half ups seem to be working quite well with my hair--coincidentally I just posted a picture on my blog (I am avoiding posting on the forums for privacy). I will be experimenting with more half-up options in the future.

Robot Ninja
November 8th, 2015, 05:58 PM

Yay, another person who doesn't like braid waves! (I hate them. Especially the noodle ends.)

I miss being able to sleep with my hair down on wash day. It was so soft and I had such nice waves when I woke up. But now I wake up with random parts of my upper anatomy stained purple, so I have to bun it.

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 06:11 PM
But now I wake up with random parts of my upper anatomy stained purple, so I have to bun it.

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

school of fish
November 8th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I'm in! I wear my hair down most of the time - I really prefer wearing it loose for both look and feel :) I'm very careful in how I handle it (don't let it catch in seatbelts or purse straps, detangle gently through the day as needed, etc.) and although some mechanical damage is inevitable I'm able to keep the damage to a minimum.

I put it up if I'm *doing* something where it would really get in the way - like reno work on my house or swimming lessons with my 16-month old - but otherwise it's loose. I'm just barely shy of my goal length (36"/BCL) which is I think about as long as I can get away while still wearing it down.

I do put it up at night though! I've found that containing it in a high bun on top of my head to sleep substantially reduces the nighttime tangles - those are worse for me than any tangles that form during the day wearing it loose.

Nice to see this thread! There are so many protective updo threads here that it's nice to know there are others who keep it down and survive, haha!! ;)

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Nice to see this thread! There are so many protective updo threads here that it's nice to know there are others who keep it down and survive, haha!! ;)

:laugh: I was thinking the same thing!

Now to find my brethren who cannot comb their hair, but swear by their bamboo/wooden bristle brush. Then I will truly have found my tribe. :joy:

browneyedsusan
November 8th, 2015, 06:30 PM

F to find my brethren who cannot comb their hair, but swear by their bamboo/wooden bristle brush. Then I will truly have found my tribe. :joy:

I am one of your people. :)

Christine_O
November 8th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Winterfox! This is so stunning, and exactly the sort of thing I would do if my hair was that thick!

I so agree with you Arctic!

missblueeyes: Yes I could have done much worse and when I don't want them I clip them away. It's not too hard to bear it this way :)

@wilderwein: Looking forward to seeing your paranda :D

Christine_O
November 8th, 2015, 06:58 PM
And, oh yes, I am so in! I know I'm still one of the shorties, but when my hair was long before I always wore it either down or braided. I'm teaching myself to bun as my hair gets longer, but that's just for something else to do with it. This is where I belong. My hair will blow freely in the wind.:blossom:

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 07:15 PM
I am one of your people. :)

:happydance: :hifive:

cat11
November 8th, 2015, 07:28 PM
ohhh I get the purpose of this thread but it is sooooo not me. I think I wear my hair out of a bun maybe once a month and sometimes not even that. (well I do braid or have it loose sometimes when I am sitting still at home lol.) The hair just... gets everywhere. I like my hair off my face but long hair put up is easier and more fun than short hair always down.... Have fun ladies.

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Here is my hair as of tonight (longer than I had realized!)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=74491&dateline=1447037064&type=profile

parkmikii
November 8th, 2015, 09:52 PM
ohhh I get the purpose of this thread but it is sooooo not me. I think I wear my hair out of a bun maybe once a month and sometimes not even that. (well I do braid or have it loose sometimes when I am sitting still at home lol.) The hair just... gets everywhere. I like my hair off my face but long hair put up is easier and more fun than short hair always down.... Have fun ladies.

This is my opinion as well. I used to wear it down almost always and it thinned so bad on one side, where it rubbed everyday with my schoolbag, that I had to chop it off to not look really bad. I really enjoyed wearing it down though. I just wish I had a bit stronger hair..

yogagirl
November 8th, 2015, 10:27 PM
I'm in. I currently wear my hair loose twice a week, at least, on wash days, and sometimes day two if it's still looking doable. I will experiment with ways to increase this with half up or braids.
That's exactly my schedule too.

I've been wearing it down a lot lately, just enjoying my waves. Once I bun/braid my hair, the waves are gone or look wonky, so that's why the schedule works for me. I also really like half ups, though lately they're usually half up buns. Regular half ups just don't look quite right to me anymore on myself. Something about the canopy being mostly straight and the bottom being wavy looks really weird.

Ingrid
November 8th, 2015, 11:37 PM
I guess using your typology (braids and half-up count as wearing hair down) means I actually wear my hair down A LOT :lol: I typically take "wearing hair down" to mean wearing it open/loose, in which case I don't really wear it down much. I enjoy wearing it loose but if I'm out, or being active, it just gets in the way a lot and gets dirty and dry really quickly.

pailin
November 8th, 2015, 11:45 PM
I hardly ever wear mine down (except at night). I don't count braids as down for me, though. Hair has to go under a motorcycle helmet, so I've been braiding maybe 4 days per week, and updos the other days. Which is kind of boring, because I can only do a basic English braid, usually on the side because if I do it in back, it always ends up wonky where I bring it over my shoulder, so I reserve that for exercise (enough exercise, and maybe I'll finally get better at it. Incentive to exercise!). But I want to make a point of wearing it down in public a little more often. Maybe once every week or two? For me, that would be a big step.

Winter Fox
November 9th, 2015, 01:40 AM
That's a wonderful idea!
I wonder if people will post photos wearing their hair down and how good it'll l...

...ook... http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_queixo.gif

That looks so pretty Winter Fox!

:thud:

I too sleep with my hair down. I know that braids are in theory better for it (I can hear my mother's voice... :laugh:), but not for my hair or scalp. It causes a sore scalp, breakage along the length, and wicked tangles all day, for ME.

(On the flip side, my daughter's hair *must* be braided at night, and it has sublime results in her hair. But then... we have very different hair. Go, Grandma! ;))

Winterfox! This is so stunning, and exactly the sort of thing I would do if my hair was that thick!

Thank you all so much :flower::flower::flower:

Pol
November 9th, 2015, 02:09 AM
I'll thank you in another thread for something else too when the right time comes ;)
About the "sleep with loose hair" thing, it should become a thread or something. It stopped my headaches and I'm not even kidding!
It wasn't just a scalp pain, I had headaches during the entire day and I didn't knew why till I start wearing my hair down while sleeping.

I totally second this - I would love to read more about the pros and cons of wearing your hair down v. up at night. I've automatically been wearing mine braided (to avoid tangles/hair nest), so it would be great to hear about alternatives. Also, with your lengths, don't you tug on your hair as you turn over at night? I can totally imagined getting ensnarled if I had your length! I am very curious about this, I do find I miss wearing my hair loose from a scalp-tension point of view.

Pol
November 9th, 2015, 02:13 AM
This is a great idea for a thread! Winter Fox and Jarlofthebogfey, your hair looks amazing down, so healthy too! I'm pretty short haired at the moment, so wear my hair down (braids, half-ups) a fair amount of the time. I haven't been wearing it loose much lately because it's at an awkward length for it (kind of in-betweeny) and doesn't look great. It's really nice to see examples of how this might work when my hair (eventually!) gets longer. Nice to know I won't have to bun continuously (nice as they are) if I don't want to. Please keep the pictures coming too - great spectator sport this one!

Estrid
November 9th, 2015, 02:38 AM
I think I will subscribe to this thread. At the moment I am wearing my hair down 90 % of the time, mostly because I am not used to wearing it up and my scalp is like: "nooooooo" most of the times when I try, I will have to get better at it.

But well, my future plans are to wear my hair up when I am at home and then about 75 % of the time when I am out, and rest of the time I'll wear it down. Because well, the reason I want long hair is because I want long hair (I am a simple person).

I realize it might be difficult to have my hair down if the pictures I have in my head will be my goal (mid thigh length, can my hair even get that long?), but I will probably try.

/Margo

Gertrude
November 9th, 2015, 04:57 AM
I wear mine down on wash day, so twice a week. I used to always wear it down for at least a decade in my pre baby life, and still automatically move it out of harm's way like bag straps. I do have the hair tie with me so I can quickly braid it if needed. I am just past BSL within four inches of my goal length, and sort of prepared to maintain where I am. It's still short enough to wear down easily. Growing very slowly.

I spend an insane amount of money having it S&D and trimmed at the GM London salon every three months. I am dreadful at trimming my own, and they do the perfect slight U shape blunt cut for my fine hair. So not great for buns, but I love wearing mine down. Wind is the big enemy , so no windy days. It's why I gave up blow drying. It wasn't heat but the drying effect of the air.

I have to sleep with a loose braid, but my hair never gets braid waves. Five to ten minutes after a long day in a tighter braid.

For evenings out and special daytime occasions I always wear it down.

chantecler
November 9th, 2015, 05:22 AM
I've been wanting to cut my hair short these days, and I'm thinking I have to relearn to enjoy my hair, since these days I usually end up putting it in a cinnabun by pure lazyness. My problem is, I'm currently washing my hair every four days because it's up in a bun, but I would probably need to wash my hair more often to make it look good down, even in a braid. I have a hard time not feeling bad about washing my hair, so maybe I need to reprogram myself on that point too...
I'll try to have at least wash day and second hair day down for now, which would be 50% of the time.

veryhairyfairy
November 9th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I think this is a great thread idea! :thumbsup:

I have this same problem (I pretty much never wear my hair loose; I do wear braids on the weekends) and at this point I'm not sure if I'm interested in changing anything... but it's great to have a thread full of like minded individuals.

I'm in nursing school right now, and have never even worn my hair in unbunned braids while at school. Part of it is the damaged ends, part of it is not wanting attention from classmates, and part of it is not wanting to deal with tangles.

But I really feel like I would enjoy wearing it loose as a more regular thing instead of it being this BIG DEAL ~6 times a year.

My conundrum is this:
My last 12"+ is pretty darn damaged and quite a bit thinner than the bulk of my hair and I'm just not sure it looks okay when worn loose. Add to that the fact that winter is coming (which means dry and static and tangles)!

On the other hand; by the time I've trimmed out that 12" of damage/thinning I'll be living in a super windy area and I may never really wear my hair loose again!

So do I enjoy it loose now and stuff the idea that people will judge the condition (and deal with tangles and possibly more damage)? Or do I continue my years long buns and braids and maybe never really get to wear my hair loose while I'm out and about? :hmm:

diddiedaisy
November 9th, 2015, 06:39 AM
I'm joining this thread. I wear my down now most days until about two o'clock, then I stick it up.

I did wear it up everyday for a year and a half, the main reason being my dreadfully thin shed ends. I just couldn't get it to look nice. I've cut most of them out now. I only had one updo as well that looked nice on me but it gave me mechanical damage making the problem worse. If I suited more updos and actually had any skills to do them, I would wear it up a lot more.

The bottom line is though, since wearing my hair down for a couple of months it has never looked better since I started growing it. I know most of that is eventually getting rid of my thin ends, but I'm just not damaging it as much by leaving it hanging there!!!!

missblueeyes
November 9th, 2015, 09:24 AM
So many new faces. :D I'm happy to see so much activity in this thread. :) I feared it wouldn't be received well because many people swear by protective updos - you get the drill. Which is why I want to repeat: This is for people who want to wear their hair down. If you don't see the reason behind it or just don't support us, please stay away. I wouldn't come in the no-trimming thread (just an example) and talk about how you NEED to trim either.

Anyway... today was greasy hair day for me. I wore it in a braid for most of the day but then just had to try on my newest Flexi 8 so I did just that before washing. :)
I'm getting two more new Flexis for me so wearing my hair down will be a bit of a challenge again. New hairtoys always make it harder!

jt623
November 9th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I prefer to wear my hair down, and I always have. Some days it looks better up in a bun or french braided.

vpatt
November 9th, 2015, 09:58 AM
I will join. I like some up dos but I like it down, too. I wear it down at least 4 days a week, I think. My bun is starting to bother me at night but I don't like loose hair in my face at night, so I will try braiding again.

Someone said they love their wooden bristle brush....I just got one and so far I'm really liking it. And I have an Eternally in Amber comb that I really love, too.

lazuliblue
November 9th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I really like the idea of this thread. I wear my hair up except for wash day (when I leave it down for a few hours to dry or put it in a ponytail) or for special occasions. Although I enjoy having my hair up and wearing my hair sticks etc. I would like to feel less worried about having it down!

I have thin ends so that adds to my worries. I even have a couple of little barrettes that I bought specifically for half-ups...I really should wear them! Actually, I have jut ordered an xs flexi-8 so that I can use it for a pony tail, and I am looking forward to wearing it.

Hopeful65
November 9th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I wear my hair down mostly all the time, and I always have done so.
I don't like the way I look with it up, on me personally.

If it is ever put up, it's because I'm doing something where it could be in harm's way, or maybe I'm just really hot or irritated with it for the moment, and then that moment passes. Usually when I am cooking I will just tuck it down in my shirt.

As my default hair style though, it is always down. Going anywhere, being seen by people, you would see my hair down. I feel self-conscious with my hair up, and I get cold too easily with my neck exposed.

My hair is just now touching the top of my hip bones, which is the longest it has ever been. My ends are very healthy, which I attribute to being a frequent trimmer.

However, I have just recently started putting it up sometimes if I am at home by myself. I want to preserve my healthy ends, and am trying to prevent any mechanical damage that might possibly occur at this length, simply because this is what I've learned here on LHC. I'm not seeing any damage to my ends though, but I figure 'why not' try putting it up a little more often while just at home.

I'm not planning on growing much longer, maybe another inch or so. From here on out I feel like I am maintaining now, and if an inch or so happens that is fine.

But for me, my daily hairstyle is down, at least a good 90% of the time.

KittyBird
November 9th, 2015, 10:33 AM
I'll join! :D
I wear my hair down a lot, but I usually put it up when I'm out and about, especially if I'm wearing a backpack. When I'm home it's down pretty much all the time, unless I'm crafting. Sometimes I bun it, other times I just take a big claw clip and make some sort of ponytail.
I have to wear my hair up at work, and it feels so good to come home and let it loose! I find that wearing it loose or in a half-up gives me much less tangles than if I braid it (braids give me awful, matted tangles), so I very rarely wear braids these days.

wilderwein
November 9th, 2015, 10:39 AM
I totally second this - I would love to read more about the pros and cons of wearing your hair down v. up at night. I've automatically been wearing mine braided (to avoid tangles/hair nest), so it would be great to hear about alternatives. Also, with your lengths, don't you tug on your hair as you turn over at night? I can totally imagined getting ensnarled if I had your length! I am very curious about this, I do find I miss wearing my hair loose from a scalp-tension point of view.

I just throw all of my length at the edge of the bed on a satin scarf and it hands there loose. So as I move it doesn't get involved with any body parts of mine, and also it doesn't get tangled. You just have to experiment. If it couses you headaches it is for sure not so good for your hair as well. You can also make a loose braid at the top of your head so when you lay down, it will lay flat against your pillowcase above your head (wich is preferably to have a silk/satin material on it) and while you move it won't couse friction to it.

Sarahlabyrinth Gorgeous hair!

wilderwein
November 9th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Aaaand I started today with a scarf rope braid. I also bought yarn to make some parandas :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19735&d=1447091339

missblueeyes
November 9th, 2015, 11:01 AM

Okay so I've thought "I know this picture...." since yesterday but it took me until today to finally figure out that I follow your project on the LHN. :,D
Being active on two different boards can be so confusing sometimes.

Aaaand I started today with a scarf rope braid. I also bought yarn to make some parandas :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19735&d=1447091339

WOW! :thud:
What a beautiful rope braid!
I want my hair to look like yours once it's finally long.

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I've been wanting to cut my hair short these days, and I'm thinking I have to relearn to enjoy my hair, since these days I usually end up putting it in a cinnabun by pure lazyness. My problem is, I'm currently washing my hair every four days because it's up in a bun, but I would probably need to wash my hair more often to make it look good down, even in a braid. I have a hard time not feeling bad about washing my hair, so maybe I need to reprogram myself on that point too...
I'll try to have at least wash day and second hair day down for now, which would be 50% of the time.

Maybe a dry shampoo, or co-washing?

I think this is a great thread idea! :thumbsup:

I have this same problem (I pretty much never wear my hair loose; I do wear braids on the weekends) and at this point I'm not sure if I'm interested in changing anything... but it's great to have a thread full of like minded individuals.

I'm in nursing school right now, and have never even worn my hair in unbunned braids while at school. Part of it is the damaged ends, part of it is not wanting attention from classmates, and part of it is not wanting to deal with tangles.

But I really feel like I would enjoy wearing it loose as a more regular thing instead of it being this BIG DEAL ~6 times a year.

My conundrum is this:
My last 12"+ is pretty darn damaged and quite a bit thinner than the bulk of my hair and I'm just not sure it looks okay when worn loose. Add to that the fact that winter is coming (which means dry and static and tangles)!

On the other hand; by the time I've trimmed out that 12" of damage/thinning I'll be living in a super windy area and I may never really wear my hair loose again!

So do I enjoy it loose now and stuff the idea that people will judge the condition (and deal with tangles and possibly more damage)? Or do I continue my years long buns and braids and maybe never really get to wear my hair loose while I'm out and about? :hmm:

Dye them an interesting color? I've always been tempted to do that with my damaged ends.

I really like the idea of this thread. I wear my hair up except for wash day (when I leave it down for a few hours to dry or put it in a ponytail) or for special occasions. Although I enjoy having my hair up and wearing my hair sticks etc. I would like to feel less worried about having it down!

I have thin ends so that adds to my worries. I even have a couple of little barrettes that I bought specifically for half-ups...I really should wear them! Actually, I have jut ordered an xs flexi-8 so that I can use it for a pony tail, and I am looking forward to wearing it.

Maybe gentle curls in the ends?

I love this look.

goneJackal
November 9th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Here is my hair as of tonight (longer than I had realized!)

It's beautiful! And so thick!

This is my favorite thread now! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_lovea.gif

Okay so I've thought "I know this picture...." since yesterday but it took me until today to finally figure out that I follow your project on the LHN. :,D

What is LHN?

wilderwein
November 9th, 2015, 11:10 AM

WOW! :thud:
What a beautiful rope braid!
I want my hair to look like yours once it's finally long.
Thank youu :flowers:
1. Your hair is already long!
2. Lool no you don't! Mine is extremely thin at the ends, but thanks god I can fake thickness on braids with scarfs and parandas :lol: You see that hair strand that is pointing on the right? It's my longest ends :| It is gonna get microtrimmed soon...

jarlofthebogfey Oh my, thank youuu!!! <3

goneJackal this thread is not completed till we see your hair in the wild here too!

missblueeyes
November 9th, 2015, 11:14 AM
What is LHN?

The abbreviation for the German equivalent to the LHC called Langhaarnetzwerk. :) It's a very similar board albeit with much stricter rules as to what has to be posted where. Which makes it easier to find stuff you're looking for, I guess.
Basically: I just recognized someone by the back of their head. :laugh:

parkmikii
November 9th, 2015, 11:29 AM

So beautiful! :heart:

goneJackal
November 9th, 2015, 11:48 AM
goneJackal this thread is not completed till we see your hair in the wild here too!
I flooded LHC with my pictures, I conceed to that! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_sorriso.gif You guys deserve a break!

The abbreviation for the German equivalent to the LHC called Langhaarnetzwerk. :) It's a very similar board albeit with much stricter rules as to what has to be posted where. Which makes it easier to find stuff you're looking for, I guess.
Basically: I just recognized someone by the back of their head. :laugh:

Sounds very nice! Makes me regret for not practicing German since university! I loved it http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_chorandoNovo.gif

wilderwein
November 9th, 2015, 12:05 PM
parkmikii Thank you so much <3 <3 <3 :flower:

goneJackal We are never in need for a break from gorgeous black hair :cool: Bring it to us!

Eastbound&Down
November 9th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I love my hair down, I have to have it up in a bun for work 5 days a week, so when I'm at home, or on rare occasions when we go out, my hair is down. However, I hate when it is in my face, so I usually have it braided in a waterfall braid or simply clipped back. I can't wait till I have some more length and can really show it off. :)

Winter Fox
November 9th, 2015, 12:51 PM

Haha yeah I know right? ;) I think I confused the boards, when I replied to you in my project xD

Wilderwein: That rope braid is stunning! And I love your color - are you growing out bleach?

wilderwein
November 9th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Wilderwein: That rope braid is stunning! And I love your color - are you growing out bleach?

Oh thank you so much <3 :flowers:!!!
And yees, I'm on that big mission :lol:

Winter Fox
November 9th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Should have looked at your sig - it's right there sorry xD Wow next month it's your one year anniversary congrats :D

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Beautiful :thud:

I flooded LHC with my pictures, I conceed to that! You guys deserve a break!
]
We don't want a break from pics of your amazing hair :nono::popcorn:

wilderwein
November 9th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Winter Fox no worries, sometimes I don't see them either becouse I use the phone instead. And I am like "its that your natural color??? =o" but in the sig writes "henna head" or something :lol:

Groovy Granny Thank you very much :flower: :flower: :flower:

veryhairyfairy
November 9th, 2015, 01:27 PM

This is beautiful, so 'hippie'! So it's a rope braid with a scarf added in? Is it one strand of hair and one strand of scarf or is the scarf added to one (or both) braid strands?

<snip>

Dye them an interesting color? I've always been tempted to do that with my damaged ends.
<snip>

(^Above is about my damaged ends)
Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about adding a funky color to my thin ends to make me feel better about them, but I use henna (which means that most deposit only funky colors will turn out weird).

How will you guys be preparing your hair to wear loose? (routine and styling wise)

*ReiKa*
November 9th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I wear my hair down *very* often, not much in braids but more by having it totally loose, in a half-up and in high ponytails (though not as often as I'd like because it's very difficult to get a painless and durable high ponytail with thick TBL hair).
I've grown my hair from chin to TBL by wearing it down most of the time, so it's absolutely doable.

It definitely requires more attention, but it's so worth it in my opinion. I feel I enjoy my long hair to the fullest, and it's just so prettier when it's down, rather than hidden in a bun (which, in my book, is for bad hair days -read: needs a wash-).
I always need to see where my hair is before grabbing my bag, need to pull it to the front when I sit down, make sure I don't lean on it against the seatback, make sure it's all covered by my umbrella when it rains and a couple more things, but other than that yeah, it's worth it for me.

Good luck to everyone here :o

Arctic
November 9th, 2015, 01:51 PM

That's one of the most beautiful braids I've seen at LHC!

wilderwein
November 9th, 2015, 02:22 PM
This is beautiful, so 'hippie'! So it's a rope braid with a scarf added in? Is it one strand of hair and one strand of scarf or is the scarf added to one (or both) braid strands?

How will you guys be preparing your hair to wear loose? (routine and styling wise)

It's one scarf folded in two and each strand of hair has a strand of scarf too. So it's bassicaly added to both of the strands yes ^_^ Hope I made sense :lol:

Aaaand I'll wear my hair completely down probably at the beggining of 2016. I want to first dust/microtrim some strands wich acutally couse me more tangled ends.
I plan to wear my hair down on days that I won't be many hours outside (non windy, non rainy) and just maybe use a bit more of leave in oils in that cases. And if I'll feel that my hair it's in danger I'll just make a quick braid to keep my hair more contained.

Arctic Oh my, what a compliment o_o THANKS A WHOLE LOT <3 <3 <3 :flowers: :love:

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Coconut oiled, but still down for the day! :laugh:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19748&d=1447126429

vpatt
November 9th, 2015, 08:48 PM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19748&d=1447126429

Very pretty!

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 08:50 PM
It's beautiful! And so thick!

Thanks. :o

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Very pretty!

Aw, thanks! :)

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2015, 08:55 PM

Very pretty ~ I love your siggy socks too!

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Very pretty ~ I love your siggy socks too!

Thanks! :) I love kilt hose... I'm knitting a pair now, actually. :love:

hennalonghair
November 9th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Mines still wet but ....
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8qcbywcx.jpg.html

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Thanks! :) I love kilt hose... I'm knitting a pair now, actually. :love:

I never did that....and loved cables with my Irish Knit sweaters, hats, scarves and mittens!

My poor brain probably couldn't handle it now; I'm lucky I can still crochet :p
You should post them (and future projects) in the Knitting Projects (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37) thread :)

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Mines still wet but ....
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/pollywoggle999/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8qcbywcx.jpg.html

Pretty color and curls :)

hennalonghair
November 9th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Pretty color and curls :)

You already saw it but thanks :lol: :flowers:

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2015, 09:22 PM
I'm not good at selfies ~ but here goes :p

This was when I called waist a month ago

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19417&d=1444854630

And this was 2 weeks ago

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19596&d=1446337929

That same night I did a self trim

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19585&d=1446267851

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Mines still wet but ....

So thick and curly! :thud:

I never did that....and loved cables with my Irish Knit sweaters, hats, scarves and mittens!

My poor brain probably couldn't handle it now; I'm lucky I can still crochet :p
You should post them (and future projects) in the Knitting Projects (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37) thread :)

Thanks. :) I'll look.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19417&d=1444854630

I just adore your color, SO much. :love:

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Thanks. :) I'll look.

I just adore your color, SO much. :love:

Thank you :flower:

hennalonghair
November 9th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Those are gorgeous shots GG.
And oddly enough I just finished commenting on the same photo jarlofthebogfey about an hour ago .
It's a lovely photo.

hennalonghair
November 9th, 2015, 09:46 PM
I think we need to shorten jarlofthebogfey 's name :laugh:

Goodnight ladies:waving:

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Those are gorgeous shots GG.

Thank you :heart:

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 09:52 PM
I think we need to shorten jarlofthebogfey 's name :laugh:

Goodnight ladies:waving:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 9th, 2015, 11:03 PM
I just throw all of my length at the edge of the bed on a satin scarf and it hands there loose. So as I move it doesn't get involved with any body parts of mine, and also it doesn't get tangled. You just have to experiment. If it couses you headaches it is for sure not so good for your hair as well. You can also make a loose braid at the top of your head so when you lay down, it will lay flat against your pillowcase above your head (wich is preferably to have a silk/satin material on it) and while you move it won't couse friction to it.

Sarahlabyrinth Gorgeous hair!

Aw, thanks! GG, such stunning hair you have! I love looking at your photos so much.

maborosi
November 10th, 2015, 01:07 AM

And this was 2 weeks ago

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19596&d=1446337929

That same night I did a self trim

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19585&d=1446267851

Groovy Granny, you have such pretty hair!!

daniibee
November 10th, 2015, 01:11 AM
This sounds interesting :D though I'm not entirely confident with my hair these past months, but I do usually wear it down. Been growing it for quite some time as well it's just my hair fall that i'm truly concerned of.

Knifegill
November 10th, 2015, 01:34 AM
My cold-fixed cocoa powder makes an almost invisible leave-in tangle-preventer. It adds a bit of body, but that's not a problem for a medium-y like me. It's just green tea hot, I add cocoa powder, then let it cool slightly and apply in shower, set water to cold and rinse it out, which seems to harden it onto the hair shafts. Then it barely tangles! But I also always have an underlying layer of sebum on porous hair, so YMMV.

missrandie
November 10th, 2015, 05:12 AM
At the moment, my hair is down a lot due to the length, but as it gets longer I'm still going to wear it down some! Half ups were my go-to when I had longer hair, and my barettes are dying to get used again!

Now to find my brethren who cannot comb their hair, but swear by their bamboo/wooden bristle brush. Then I will truly have found my tribe. :joy:

While I can comb, my Widu is my true love :) Consider me a tribal cousin :)

Upside Down
November 10th, 2015, 06:17 AM
I like this idea. For me, I'd like to wear it down once a week, and a ponytail or a half up once or twice a week. I can not wear it down the whole day, but it counts if I go out in public :D

Braids are up in my book.

My problem is that my bangs don't really look professional with hair down so I won't be letting it down for work, hence ponytails and half ups.

I am keeping them because I love the look with my hair up...

Looking forward to this! I am gonna wear a high pony for todays aerial hoop class. :D I like it when my hair swings as I hang upside down lol

missblueeyes
November 10th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Today must have been the windiest day of the year but I still wore my hair in a braid. In the morning, I was reaching for my Flexi8 but the only one I had laying around was too big so I didn't bother anymore.
I really wish my sidebraid was longer yet.
http://i63.tinypic.com/dg2e88.jpg

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2015, 07:15 AM
GG, such stunning hair you have! I love looking at your photos so much.

Groovy Granny, you have such pretty hair!!
Thank you both :flower:

wilderwein
November 10th, 2015, 08:22 AM
jarlofthebogfey My god, SUPER GORGEOUS HAIR! :thud:

hennalonghair Your hair looks amazing, and those curls!!! :crush:

Groovy Granny I'm always happy to see hair photos of yours. Love seeing your progress! *_*

Missblueeyes Your braid is PERFECT! And it has like zero taper :thudpile:
Also your hair color stands more and more as time passes by. It looks clearly dark blonde in this picture!

Guys I'm thinking on cutting not sure how to call them but I had them most of my life, it's not exactly face framing layers, but it's more like "grown out to chin old bangs that blend super well with the rest of the hair" or face framing strands :lol:

missblueeyes
November 10th, 2015, 08:57 AM
@Wilderwein. Thank you! :blushing: I'm glad you think it looks dark blonde even though the lighting is super bad in this one. I do still have some taper, though. I have like three differnt hairlengths right now. Some is sitting at hip then most of it at around BSL (rest of my former V cut) and then another layer at CBL that comes from growing my bangs out.
I think I'll switch to a bun for going to university a second time today. I can't deal with all this wind (and I want to wear my new flexis :lol:).

wilderwein
November 10th, 2015, 09:10 AM
@Wilderwein. Thank you! :blushing: I'm glad you think it looks dark blonde even though the lighting is super bad in this one. I do still have some taper, though. I have like three differnt hairlengths right now. Some is sitting at hip then most of it at around BSL (rest of my former V cut) and then another layer at CBL that comes from growing my bangs out.
I think I'll switch to a bun for going to university a second time today. I can't deal with all this wind (and I want to wear my new flexis :lol:).

Oh you should see my hair, I probably have 20 different lengths xD
Yes it's obvious, I just can imagine how much lighter it looks outside in natural light.
Well yes when it's windy it's a pain in the bum to have hair all over your face! As about the flexis, post photos of theeeem in the bun thread :pray:

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Groovy Granny I'm always happy to see hair photos of yours. Love seeing your progress! *_*

Guys I'm thinking on cutting not sure how to call them but I had them most of my life, it's not exactly face framing layers, but it's more like "grown out to chin old bangs that blend super well with the rest of the hair" or face framing strands :lol:
Thank you :)

That will look pretty in your gorgeous hair :thumbsup:
Pics when you do it please ;) :popcorn:

goneJackal
November 10th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Mines still wet but ....

I love it! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_paixao.gif

Today must have been the windiest day of the year but I still wore my hair in a braid. In the morning, I was reaching for my Flexi8 but the only one I had laying around was too big so I didn't bother anymore.

Beautiful braid! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_queixo.gif
I agree with wilderwein about the color!

wilderwein
November 10th, 2015, 09:18 AM

That will look pretty in your gorgeous hair :thumbsup:
Pics when you do it please ;) :popcorn:

Just telling the truth!
Ah I'm still thinking about it.
It will suit me, but I also somehow want to have one length long face strands! Oh the dillema. I still have plenty of time to think about :hmm:

Pol
November 10th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Super belated response - thank you for this explanation, that makes a lot more sense to me now! I actually tried letting my hair loose for the first time in ages last night (it really isn't long enough yet to cause me problems by getting tangled in my sleep flailing!) and it was sooooo comfy! I actually didn't think my braid was that uncomfortable, but it was so much nicer to sleep with it loose. I will definitely look into getting some silk/satin to reduce tangles, although they really weren't that bad. Thank you!

Also, your rope braid was completely gorgeous - there have been so many great pictures on this thread! Thank you all for sharing!

goneJackal
November 10th, 2015, 09:30 AM
goneJackal We are never in need for a break from gorgeous black hair :cool: Bring it to us!

We don't want a break from pics of your amazing hair :nono::popcorn:

http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_paixao.gif

My phone is a zombie, it's way past its due time.
Guess I'll wait until Black Friday to buy a new one, and then take new pics.

Let's call it karma. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_gargalhada.gif

It's your turn to flood LHC with pics! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_safado.gif

wilderwein
November 10th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Super belated response - thank you for this explanation, that makes a lot more sense to me now! I actually tried letting my hair loose for the first time in ages last night (it really isn't long enough yet to cause me problems by getting tangled in my sleep flailing!) and it was sooooo comfy! I actually didn't think my braid was that uncomfortable, but it was so much nicer to sleep with it loose. I will definitely look into getting some silk/satin to reduce tangles, although they really weren't that bad. Thank you!

Also, your rope braid was completely gorgeous - there have been so many great pictures on this thread! Thank you all for sharing!

Oh yes don't worry, I used to sleep in cotton pillow cases with loose hair till about hip length, and it wasn't really cousing me EXTREME tangles.
For me is more important to have a good sleep, couse good sleep means happy organism and happy organism produces nice hair.
I even stopped doing over night hair oilings for that reason. I wan't to have the best sleep as possible.

goneJackal I was looking at men buns thread today, and I didn't see your bun there. Have I missed your post, or haven't you posted your bun there yet???

goneJackal
November 10th, 2015, 10:20 AM
goneJackal I was looking at men buns thread today, and I didn't see your bun there. Have I missed your post, or haven't you posted your bun there yet???

Haven't I? WHERE DID I POST IT, THEN? http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_arrepio.gif

WHAT YEAR IS IT?

HAVE I FORGOTTEN TO WEAR MY PANTS AGAIN (http://strips.garfield.com/iimages1200/1983/ga830731.gif)?!

wilderwein
November 10th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Haven't I? WHERE DID I POST IT, THEN? http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_arrepio.gif

WHAT YEAR IS IT?

HAVE I FORGOTTEN TO WEAR MY PANTS AGAIN (http://strips.garfield.com/iimages1200/1983/ga830731.gif)?!

I think on the bun thread in general xD

It's clearly 1450 B.C. :bigeyes: what are pants?

ETA: a**hole cats like Garfield are my favorite!

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Just telling the truth!
Ah I'm still thinking about it.
It will suit me, but I also somehow want to have one length long face strands! Oh the dillema. I still have plenty of time to think about :hmm:
You'll know when the time is right...what to do; and you will ROCK it girl :rockerdud

I love it!

My phone is a zombie, it's way past its due time.
Guess I'll wait until Black Friday to buy a new one, and then take new pics.

Let's call it karma.

It's your turn to flood LHC with pics!
Thank you; you are very sweet :heart:

I LOVE your new avatar :thumbsup:

LOL I understand about waiting for a new phone ;)
We have a cheap digital camera and just a trac phone for emergencies....so my pic stuff is very basic at best :p
Back in the late 90's just as I had a major illness that put a stop to my hiking, my minolta slr died....so that ended my nature pics.:(
The camera bodies were hard to find and after a few died I realized they just had a shelf life with no parts :(
It's all good; now I keep pics with my heart :D

No floods coming from my end lol; I'll be lurking for the most part :popcorn: unless I happen to get a good pic

I agree...you must post them!

wilderwein
November 10th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Groovy Granny Oh yes I guess I'll just listen to my hair. Thank you so much :love:

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Groovy Granny Oh yes I guess I'll just listen to my hair. Thank you so much :love:

:thumbsup: :flowers:

lazuliblue
November 10th, 2015, 11:20 AM

Haha, I wish my braid was as long as yours...so I understand your wish for a longer braid!

I'm planning on wearing my hair in a ponytail tomorrow and I'm probably more excited than I should be :D I also got my new xs flexi today to wear with a ponytail (although tomorrow I'll just use a hair bobble [hair tie??] because it's wash day and my hair will be wet.)

MsPharaohMoan
November 10th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Guys, I just saw a girl with nice long hair in a half up... She had the top part divided into two sections and each one formed a bun. It looks like she has mouse ears on! Reminded me of this thread. I think I'll try to recreate and post a pic here :)

vpatt
November 10th, 2015, 12:48 PM

I love that braid!

wilderwein
November 10th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Guys, I just saw a girl with nice long hair in a half up... She had the top part divided into two sections and each one formed a bun. It looks like she has mouse ears on! Reminded me of this thread. I think I'll try to recreate and post a pic here :)

I'm waiting for it :popcorn: buns that look like mouse ears always interest me!

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2015, 12:55 PM

They'd definitely put me away if I did something like that :laugh:

vpatt
November 10th, 2015, 02:27 PM
They'd definitely put me away if I did something like that :laugh:

Lol, you and me both.

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Lol, you and me both.

:hifive: lol

goneJackal
November 10th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Thank you; you are very sweet :heart:

I LOVE your new avatar :thumbsup:

LOL I understand about waiting for a new phone ;)
We have a cheap digital camera and just a trac phone for emergencies....so my pic stuff is very basic at best :p
Back in the late 90's just as I had a major illness that put a stop to my hiking, my minolta slr died....so that ended my nature pics.:(
The camera bodies were hard to find and after a few died I realized they just had a shelf life with no parts :(
It's all good; now I keep pics with my heart :D

No floods coming from my end lol; I'll be lurking for the most part :popcorn: unless I happen to get a good pic

Thanks for noticing!
I love photography! Share with us your nature pics! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_feliz.gif

I gave a Canon T5i to my father a few months ago, and use it everytime I get a chance.
But I, myself, have only a zombie smartphone and a Canon handycam for work. And for spying on neighbors, of course! JK :p

EmmaDStrange
November 10th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I thought I'd pop in on this thread because I wear my hair down outside almost every single day without exception. I will not deny that I have some amount of damage due to this, but it's not as bad as some might fear, I still have tailbone length hair and it's still growing!!

Weirdly enough, I almost always wear my hair in a bun in the house, and a braid to sleep, but the second I step out of the door it is down or half down. I grew my hair to enjoy it, and I like it best down! I do find it requires washing a lot though as I have to condition a lot to detangle most days. :(

Heres a sort of length shot from almost 6 months ago (so longer now) to prove that you can have long hair AND wear it loose almost every day!
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/Emmy-Lou-94/11015883_10205176318581297_953393539_n_zps4lmdq5r4 .jpg

wilderwein
November 10th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I thought I'd pop in on this thread because I wear my hair down outside almost every single day without exception. I will not deny that I have some amount of damage due to this, but it's not as bad as some might fear, I still have tailbone length hair and it's still growing!!

Weirdly enough, I almost always wear my hair in a bun in the house, and a braid to sleep, but the second I step out of the door it is down or half down. I grew my hair to enjoy it, and I like it best down! I do find it requires washing a lot though as I have to condition a lot to detangle most days. :(

Heres a sort of length shot from almost 6 months ago (so longer now) to prove that you can have long hair AND wear it loose almost every day!
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/Emmy-Lou-94/11015883_10205176318581297_953393539_n_zps4lmdq5r4 .jpg

Must. resist. to not bleach. again. :thud:

Groovy Granny
November 10th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Thanks for noticing!
I love photography! Share with us your nature pics!

I gave a Canon T5i to my father a few months ago, and use it everytime I get a chance.
But I, myself, have only a zombie smartphone and a Canon handycam for work. And for spying on neighbors, of course! JK :p
What a good son you are :thumbsup:
We couldn't justify buying a good camera for the little we'd use it.

Most are old paper that need to be scanned; the rest I'd have to retrieve them from a PC that died
I hope that is possible...we've been discussing it (family pics too that weren't caught on a disk in time) :pray:
And they certainly weren't professionally done; just lucky shots of local nature that touched my heart lol

Gorgeous :thud:

missblueeyes
November 10th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Haha, I wish my braid was as long as yours...so I understand your wish for a longer braid!

I'm planning on wearing my hair in a ponytail tomorrow and I'm probably more excited than I should be :D I also got my new xs flexi today to wear with a ponytail (although tomorrow I'll just use a hair bobble [hair tie??] because it's wash day and my hair will be wet.)

Your braid will get there! Just like mine will :D And I totally get the excitement for wearing a ponytail! I did it the other day for a couple of hours and it certainly was something I haven't done in a long time so I was very excited!

I love that braid!

Thank you! :flowers:

@EmmaDStrange: I was kinda hoping you'd pop in here. ;D Thanks for sharing your experiences! It's interesting that you find that wearing your hair down results in greasier hair - for me, it's the opposite! Maybe it's because I usually brushed my hair a lot before putting it in a bun. That could've resulted in the greasiness. Beautiful ponytail! :crush:

EmmaDStrange
November 10th, 2015, 04:13 PM
@EmmaDStrange: I was kinda hoping you'd pop in here. ;D Thanks for sharing your experiences! It's interesting that you find that wearing your hair down results in greasier hair - for me, it's the opposite! Maybe it's because I usually brushed my hair a lot before putting it in a bun. That could've resulted in the greasiness. Beautiful ponytail! :crush:

Thank you very much! :) I perhaps find wearing it down makes my hair greasier because when it's down I touch it waaaaayyyyy too much, constantly pushing it out of my face. It always gets dirty at the front first. :headache:

jarlofthebogfey
November 10th, 2015, 07:31 PM
While I can comb, my Widu is my true love :) Consider me a tribal cousin :)

:cheer:

I love your two-tone. LOVE it.

jarlofthebogfey My god, SUPER GORGEOUS HAIR! :thud:

:o

Must. resist. to not bleach. again. :thud:

:rollin:

I was looking at blunt bang pictures last night.... :horse: mine are finally SL! Must.not.do.it. :pins:

RavenMane
November 11th, 2015, 12:20 AM
I'm a brand new member of LHC, but I may be (humbly) the inspiration for this group!! Simply because I wear my hair loose or in a braid 99.8% of the time.
I thought that my hair was fragile and broke easily, but maybe that is because I always have it down. My hair is very fine and straight. It is between waist and hip length currently. And my ends are blunt (with verrrry subtle layers right at the bottom). I have been taking much better care of my hair - washing 2-3 times a week, only using shampoo with sulfates about once a month, oiling, and brushing with BBB. And I don't use dye or any heat tools.
All that to say I think you can wear your hair down a lot, and still have healthy long hair! If my hair isn't down I'm not enjoying my length!

vpatt
November 11th, 2015, 08:20 AM

What beautiful hair!

vpatt
November 11th, 2015, 08:21 AM
I'm a brand new member of LHC, but I may be (humbly) the inspiration for this group!! Simply because I wear my hair loose or in a braid 99.8% of the time.
I thought that my hair was fragile and broke easily, but maybe that is because I always have it down. My hair is very fine and straight. It is between waist and hip length currently. And my ends are blunt (with verrrry subtle layers right at the bottom). I have been taking much better care of my hair - washing 2-3 times a week, only using shampoo with sulfates about once a month, oiling, and brushing with BBB. And I don't use dye or any heat tools.
All that to say I think you can wear your hair down a lot, and still have healthy long hair! If my hair isn't down I'm not enjoying my length!

Welcome!
Pictures, please!

YellowLedbetter
November 11th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I'm glad I spotted this thread this morning! It's encouraging to read about other members having a positive experience wearing their hair down. I was starting to feel like an odd bird because I wear my hair down 99% of the time. Granted, my hair goals are more modest than most. I'm at BSL and I'd be tickled to death to have waist length!

RavenMane
November 11th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Vpatt, I don't have enough posts yet to put pictures up, but when I do I'll post some on this thread! :) thanks for the greeting

jarlofthebogfey
November 11th, 2015, 01:52 PM
As I was out tending to my girl this morning in the rain, I was thinking of how I am used to "feeling" my hair all around me, all the time. I feel where it is, I feel when it touches the ground, and when the wind moves it, I feel it swish when I walk, fall down when I pick something up, I feel it float in water, I'm just very accustomed to it. And when it's "up", I honestly do feel totally exposed. And like I'm "missing" something. Anyway, I was out there this morning in my glamorous outfit of nightgown/coat/wellies on/hair down/bucket in hand, and the phrase "hair down, boots up" came into my mind. :laugh: Because that's my motto living here at the edge of the rainforest... hair down... but boots up! :rollin:

wilderwein
November 11th, 2015, 02:02 PM
As I was out tending to my girl this morning in the rain, I was thinking of how I am used to "feeling" my hair all around me, all the time. I feel where it is, I feel when it touches the ground, and when the wind moves it, I feel it swish when I walk, fall down when I pick something up, I feel it float in water, I'm just very accustomed to it. And when it's "up", I honestly do feel totally exposed. And like I'm "missing" something. Anyway, I was out there this morning in my glamorous outfit of nightgown/coat/wellies on/hair down/bucket in hand, and the phrase "hair down, boots up" came into my mind. :laugh: Because that's my motto living here at the edge of the rainforest... hair down... but boots up! :rollin:

That was actually beautiful. Something about what you wrote sounds so natural!
I mean it is our natural state to feel our hair

Groovy Granny
November 11th, 2015, 02:07 PM

Love it :thumbsup:
Sounds like me, living in the boonies of the Northeast ;)

Alex Lou
November 11th, 2015, 02:10 PM
I love wearing my hair down. It's well worth it to me even if there is additional damage. :) I have it in a high pony tail right now with bun waves, one of my go-to styles when it's too greasy to wear down.

missblueeyes
November 11th, 2015, 02:44 PM
@jarlofthebogfey: That's beautifully written! I can totally see how you'd feel exposed without your hair around you. :)

Today, I noticed something interesting when getting ready for university. When I'd wear my hair in a bun, I'd not be motivated to do my make-up at all but when it's down I'll gladly take the 5-10 minutes it takes me to make myself presentable. I'm aware that this is all in my head but it got me thinking - maybe the act of fighting my hair into a bun every moment had an impact on my mental state. Take it as you'd like but I think what I'm doing now is much more healthy for me than wearing a bun could ever be for my ends.

Besides: Just when I said my hair wouldn't get greasy that quickly when I wore it loose, it started greasing up. :rolleyes: Tomorrow evening is wash day. Can't wait!

lazuliblue
November 11th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I'm glad that you enjoyed wearing your hair down missblueeyes! I can completely see how it would affect how you feel about yourself.

This thread inspired me to wear my hair in a ponytail today and to be honest...I really enjoyed showing it off :D My hair is actually starting to look 'long' now (not by lhc standards obviously!) and it was nice to see how healthy it looks. I wore some flower clips to cover up the hair bobble, and my hair goes into this nice spiral/wavy shape when I put it in a ponytail.

lapushka
November 11th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Vpatt, I don't have enough posts yet to put pictures up, but when I do I'll post some on this thread! :) thanks for the greeting

You can always post pictures. All you need is a free account at an image hosting site like Photobucket or Imgur, or the like. You don't have to wait on the albums here. ;)

jarlofthebogfey
November 11th, 2015, 03:30 PM
That was actually beautiful. Something about what you wrote sounds so natural!
I mean it is our natural state to feel our hair

Love it :thumbsup:
Sounds like me, living in the boonies of the Northeast ;)

@jarlofthebogfey: That's beautifully written! I can totally see how you'd feel exposed without your hair around you. :)

:o thanks, you guys :love:

rags
November 11th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Ok, a question. Is anyone doing this with fine/i hair past BSL? Because BSL seems to be my tipping point, where it will really start getting damage. And no "live with it" damage, but break as fast as it grows damage.

I'm wearing it down now and I wear it down even at BSL by the standards of this thread (I've always counted braids as "up"), but I'd love to be able to do more half-ups when it got longer if I could figure out ways to combat the breakage.

meteor
November 11th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Stunning pictures, everyone! :applause

And what a great idea for a thread, missblueeyes! :thumbsup: I'll be stalking this thread for ideas on how to wear hair down without it getting everywhere. My favorite solution is a half-up because it keeps the most annoying face-framing hair from falling forward while still showing off a bit of styling, if desired.
Also, I have this problem that my braids start looking fuzzy very quickly when I wear them down, even if I spritz hair with water or oil it or use leave-in conditioner. (But if I wear them up, they can stay pristine for days!) I wonder what I can do to achieve that zero-frizz, smooth, freshly braided look for longer than just a couple hours? :hmm:

I perhaps find wearing it down makes my hair greasier because when it's down I touch it waaaaayyyyy too much, constantly pushing it out of my face. It always gets dirty at the front first. :headache:

I'm like that, too. :) I think it's pretty normal, and I do suspect that I touch hair *a lot* without even realizing it when it's completely down. When I wear hair up all the time, it allows me to stretch washes the most because:
- I don't touch it when it's up so it doesn't get as greasy;
- even if it does get greasy, the updo is hiding it.

Also, I'm so in awe at the sheer strength of your stunning hair that it can withstand going platinum at such great length and being worn down all the time, EmmaDStrange! :thud: :bowtome: Yay for mighty strong hair! :toast:

wilderwein
November 11th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Meteor Hahahaha I think thats impossible, I face the same problem. The only thing that helped was a oil leave in that also claimed to have keratin in it. It seems like the keratin worked a bit like a styling product and kept the flay aways in place by coating the whole strands just like hairspray would do, without making it dry tho.
But still I can't mentain a neat braid for more than some hours as well. I haven't tried harder couse I kinda prefer messier braids on me, but I think even If I wanted to have a neat braid for days that wouldn't work.

onthehorizon
November 11th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Yay! Braids count as "down", that's great! :D

jarlofthebogfey
November 11th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Ok, a question. Is anyone doing this with fine/i hair past BSL? Because BSL seems to be my tipping point, where it will really start getting damage. And no "live with it" damage, but break as fast as it grows damage.

I'm wearing it down now and I wear it down even at BSL by the standards of this thread (I've always counted braids as "up"), but I'd love to be able to do more half-ups when it got longer if I could figure out ways to combat the breakage.

:( I assume you've already played with silicones? I figure it goes unsaid around here that you eat/treat it well, so cones is all I have left after that. :shrug:

vpatt
November 11th, 2015, 07:46 PM

I used to have a horse I tended to, I loved it. And I have a couple of those outfits I wear when I go out to feed my chickens.

Christine_O
November 11th, 2015, 07:50 PM
I hurt the back of my head this weekend, so I'm keeping it down even on days when I would like to wear it up right now. I have bruises. :-(

vpatt
November 11th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I hurt the back of my head this weekend, so I'm keeping it down even on days when I would like to wear it up right now. I have bruises. :-(

I'm sorry, I hope you heal quickly. ((((Hugs))))

Groovy Granny
November 11th, 2015, 09:16 PM

Oh my goodness...I hope you are ok! (((Hugs)))

RavenMane
November 11th, 2015, 10:18 PM
You can always post pictures. All you need is a free account at an image hosting site like Photobucket or Imgur, or the like. You don't have to wait on the albums here. ;)
Haha thank you lapushka! After I wrote that I thought it was wrong. I'll get some photos!

jarlofthebogfey
November 11th, 2015, 10:30 PM
I used to have a horse I tended to, I loved it. And I have a couple of those outfits I wear when I go out to feed my chickens.

:o

:grouphug: Eek.

DeadlyUnicorn
November 12th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Not sure I can technically join in on this thread as I'm already wearing it down most of the time :p but it's really nice to see so many others joining in.

:( I hope it heals quickly for you that is not nice

DeadlyUnicorn
November 12th, 2015, 12:41 AM

Wow your color is really growing out fast :o Though I have not been very active the last few months so it's probably more obvious to me :p

DeadlyUnicorn
November 12th, 2015, 12:44 AM

Very pretty :) I do the same and my damage isn't too bad either

missblueeyes
November 12th, 2015, 03:36 AM
@DeadlyUnicorn: Sure you can! :) Everyone is welcome!
Thanks! :) Yes, I think I had some kind of growth spurt last month or so.

wilderwein
November 12th, 2015, 05:28 AM
DeadlyUnicorn epsecially people who already wear their hair down are wellcome! To share their wisdom with us. I havent wore my hair completely down outside for an year :| I have forgot how to do it XD

veryhairyfairy
November 12th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Can I get real here?

I'm really struggling with even the thought of wearing my hair down to classes, and I finally figured out why, and it's stupid!
Basically it comes down to insecurity and I really find that unacceptable because I usually don't give a rip what others think of my appearance.

There's a girl in the nursing program (so most of my classes) with THE MOST beautiful hip+ hair. It's obviously very healthy and (the kicker) super duper crazy thick and blunt at the hem. I find her mane really inspiring and intimidating at the same time! :lol:

So now I kind of have this thing going on in my brain where I'm sure that all of our classmates are going to compare us and find my frizzy/damaged tapered mess very lacking in comparison (and I'm stupidly worried that I'll seem like a copycat even though I've had long hair for years).

I've almost got my courage up to at least wear a braid down today, but I may leave a super long tassel so my taper is less obvious...
Sorry to rant, but I figure this is the place where I can find others struggling to 'release the Kraken'. Any advice would be much appreciated (and I'll post pics later today of my braid if I don't chicken out lol).

wilderwein
November 12th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Can I get real here?

I'm really struggling with even the thought of wearing my hair down to classes, and I finally figured out why, and it's stupid!
Basically it comes down to insecurity and I really find that unacceptable because I usually don't give a rip what others think of my appearance.

There's a girl in the nursing program (so most of my classes) with THE MOST beautiful hip+ hair. It's obviously very healthy and (the kicker) super duper crazy thick and blunt at the hem. I find her mane really inspiring and intimidating at the same time! :lol:

So now I kind of have this thing going on in my brain where I'm sure that all of our classmates are going to compare us and find my frizzy/damaged tapered mess very lacking in comparison (and I'm stupidly worried that I'll seem like a copycat even though I've had long hair for years).

I've almost got my courage up to at least wear a braid down today, but I may leave a super long tassel so my taper is less obvious...
Sorry to rant, but I figure this is the place where I can find others struggling to 'release the Kraken'. Any advice would be much appreciated (and I'll post pics later today of my braid if I don't chicken out lol).

I feel the same, but you know what? You like your hair and it's YOUR HAIR!
There is actually a girl with TBL length at my university, she always wears it down and she has super fairytaled ends (beautiful), and no one has ever said something bad about her. If we all had the same hair it would be boring. Besides fairies don't have blunt hemlines or thick hair. I like to call my self a fairy, and the girls with blunt hemlines mermaids :lol:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/c6/16/13c61667305a0bb3303adfc5b828d336.jpg

ravenheather
November 12th, 2015, 06:50 AM
I wear my hair down a few times a week. Usually around the house, but sometimes out. I wanted to wear it down today but waves were not cooperating. I think my irregular wave pattern is my biggest hindrance to me being happy with it down. They have a mind of their own. I will work on tolerating my messiness as hair down is so much cozier in winter.

Rowdy
November 12th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Can I get real here?

I just wanted to say that it was one of the pictures you posted a while back, of your hair in a braid with a super long tassel that really made me start liking braids. I think your hair looks so beautiful in that style! I'm planning on growing a bit past waist now and adding layers at some point so I can do that style myself :o

meteor
November 12th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Meteor Hahahaha I think thats impossible, I face the same problem. The only thing that helped was a oil leave in that also claimed to have keratin in it. It seems like the keratin worked a bit like a styling product and kept the flay aways in place by coating the whole strands just like hairspray would do, without making it dry tho.
But still I can't mentain a neat braid for more than some hours as well. I haven't tried harder couse I kinda prefer messier braids on me, but I think even If I wanted to have a neat braid for days that wouldn't work.

Thanks a lot, wilderwein! :flower: You are absolutely right, and I shouldn't worry about it so much! :D I always think messy styles look cool, effortless, pretty and bohemian on others, but not too flattering on me. :lol:
I think this obsession with "neatness" of braids is one of the consequences of seeing so many perfectly smooth complex braids on the LHC and Pinterest... (How do people do it?) Mine always look like a hot mess by the end of the day... I also tend to comb my hair all the time when I wear it loose.
(Must. Break. OCD-ish. Habits! :brickwall :lol: )

Arctic
November 12th, 2015, 03:29 PM
^ Most of the braid photos are most likely taken few minutes after making them.

If I want my braids to stay tidy for long, I use hair spray, gel, or hair powder. Or even a volumizing spray I have, which gives a bit of grip. Sometimes I've even used a styling wax type product. Almost any styling product helps.

Ingrid
November 12th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Coconut oil also works for keeping braid tidy. It's like getting a treatment done AND having a neat braid at the same time :)

meteor
November 12th, 2015, 03:48 PM
^ Thanks a lot, Arctic and Ingrid! :flowers: I like the thinking of getting treatment done by adding product for hold. ;)

wilderwein
November 12th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Thanks a lot, wilderwein! :flower: You are absolutely right, and I shouldn't worry about it so much! :D I always think messy styles look cool, effortless, pretty and bohemian on others, but not too flattering on me. :lol:
I think this obsession with "neatness" of braids is one of the consequences of seeing so many perfectly smooth complex braids on the LHC and Pinterest... (How do people do it?) Mine always look like a hot mess by the end of the day... I also tend to comb my hair all the time when I wear it loose.
(Must. Break. OCD-ish. Habits! :brickwall :lol: )

Well you forgοt one thing. Usually the photos are taken the same moment as the braids are made, or in the next couple of hours. I bet if we all took a photo of our hairstyles 8hours later they would all look messier.

Ahahahahaha I feel like this too, thats why I wanna step back a bit.

ETA: Arctic already mentioned that :lol:

vpatt
November 12th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I wear my hair down a few times a week. Usually around the house, but sometimes out. I wanted to wear it down today but waves were not cooperating. I think my irregular wave pattern is my biggest hindrance to me being happy with it down. They have a mind of their own. I will work on tolerating my messiness as hair down is so much cozier in winter.

I think it is cozy too in the winter. I did have some heat issues in the summer and wanted my hair off my neck. But by next summer maybe I can do a little more with braiding.

missblueeyes
November 12th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Well you forgοt one thing. Usually the photos are taken the same moment as the braids are made, or in the next couple of hours. I bet if we all took a photo of our hairstyles 8hours later they would all look messier.

Ahahahahaha I feel like this too, thats why I wanna step back a bit.

ETA: Arctic already mentioned that :lol:

Concerning that matter, check out haartraum's Instagram account! A couple of weeks back she posted a picture of a braid that was well-worn. :) I loved how realistic it was!
Today was greasy hair day for me but I wore a ponytail instead of a bun. It was very nice and I didn't get a headache like last time I wore one, which is nice.

meteor
November 12th, 2015, 04:44 PM
^ Thanks a lot, wilderwein and missblueeyes! :D
I just checked it out Haartraum's IG and her site (http://haartraumfrisuren.de/). Is that the loose side braid that you mean? :) It looks so amazing! Just like every style by Haartraum, of course. :crush: She's seriously a braiding magician! :bowtome:

DreamSheep
November 12th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Ahhh I'm missing out so much!

wilderwein - what a beautiful, gorgeous braid you have, it's amazing! :)
missblueyes - likewise
EmmaDStrange - seriously, the three of you have such gorgeous hair ((and making me wish I had platinum blonde hair)).

I have definitely been wearing my hair down a lot, for some reason my go-to bun isn't working as well as usual and my hairtoys end up slipping out, so it ends up going down. That said, I'm going to a martial arts comp over the weekend and people love to grab my hair, so I'm actually getting someone to make a crown braid or spiral braid the day before just so it looks less grabbable.... /offtopic

Question for those out wearing it down - what is your trick for keeping hair out of your face?
I enjoy my hair down, but even though my 'ex-bangs' are boob length, they always flop in my face and get in the way. The only way around it I've found is to do a half up tying the bangs back, but then I get horrific tangles where the elastic goes.

How do you deal with that? If you don't have this problem, how long was your hair before having this problem>

Groovy Granny
November 12th, 2015, 05:10 PM
I don't like hair in my face and do half ups with claws, smaller clips, and barrettes; sometimes just held plain, other times in cinnamon or LWBs.

wilderwein
November 12th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Meteor Oh she is so inspiring indeed! I really love how she includes in her blog, hair and hairstyles she have done on other longhaired people too. :crush:

DreamSheep You're so kind!!! Thank you very much :flower: (compliment from you, YAAAAAAY *fan mode on*)

As about the half ups, have you tried to do standar buns into half ups? Like cinammon bun for example, held with a hairstick.

meteor
November 12th, 2015, 05:14 PM
That said, I'm going to a martial arts comp over the weekend and people love to grab my hair, so I'm actually getting someone to make a crown braid or spiral braid the day before just so it looks less grabbable.... /offtopic

It's so awesome that you have someone in your life who can crown-braid or spiral-braid hair! :applause It's not easy! :bowtome:

Question for those out wearing it down - what is your trick for keeping hair out of your face?
I enjoy my hair down, but even though my 'ex-bangs' are boob length, they always flop in my face and get in the way. The only way around it I've found is to do a half up tying the bangs back, but then I get horrific tangles where the elastic goes.

How do you deal with that? If you don't have this problem, how long was your hair before having this problem>

My favorite solution is definitely half-ups! Alternatively, doing a couple twists (one on each side) and pinning them in place with bobby pins or claw-clips works too (though not as securely). And if you can French/Dutch-braid, you can do those cool-looking faux undercut styles on a side or both sides, but that's some advanced styling IMHO.

About the tangles from the elastic with a half-up... yes, it's such a big problem for me that I have to use a claw-clip instead of an elastic to do that half-up ponytail (I do it messily, not sectioning carefully) or I do a half-up with a braid (if the hair is behaving enough for that kind of sectioning). I'm sure a flexi-8 should work for a half-up pony, too.

About your question on length, I find that with greater length (maybe after tailbone?) I now have fewer problems with hair getting in my face. (From SL to waist was the worst). I think the weight of the ends is pulling the hair downwards somewhat instead of letting it float around and tumble forward. The same phenomenon is probably responsible for the annoying loss of wave and texture at new lengths here. )However, my hair is *not* layered. I think if it was layered, it would still be floating around and falling forward more... :hmm:)

Arctic
November 12th, 2015, 05:14 PM

Maybe you have cowlicks or otherwise such a growth pattern that the front hair growth in the direction of your face. If this is the case, you could try blowdrying that area to the direction you want when your hair is still very wet (the pattern hasn't yet been able to set), and maybe use a bit of styling product to help. If you don't do neither, you could try to air dry the front area in the direction that you would like to.

ravenheather
November 12th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I clip bangs back with a teeny claw.

pailin
November 12th, 2015, 08:10 PM

I don't often wear my hair down, but I have never been able to do halfups with any kind of a hairtie. I think my hair just likes to bring others along with it too much, so I can't do it without awful tangles right by my roots. It amazes me that some people can (I also don't think it looks good on me; lumps on top of my head make me look silly. My ears stick out more or something).
Anyway, I use a small barrette to either do a half up, or pull the hair back from my face on one side (opposite my side part). I usually use a metal one, actually; I don't know what to call them, but they sort of pop open and pop shut. I like them because they hold small amounts of hair, are completely flat so they fit under motorcycle helmets without hurting me, and they NEVER seem to pull out hair when I remove them (which is the reason I hate bobby pins).

And I'm wearing it down today! (except for that aforementioned little barrette). :) Braided it to get to work on the motorbike, then took it down in the parking lot. I would have had to redo it anyway to keep it braided- I have awful braid shred.

DeadlyUnicorn
November 12th, 2015, 08:52 PM
@missblueeyes Haha well then I'm setting the super extreme goal of.... Continue what I'm already doing :laugh: Honestly if I should be doing anything it's probably keeping it up more. But it seems alright for now :)

DeadlyUnicorn
November 12th, 2015, 09:12 PM
DeadlyUnicorn epsecially people who already wear their hair down are wellcome! To share their wisdom with us. I havent wore my hair completely down outside for an year :| I have forgot how to do it XD
I suppose that's true. Haha I'm sure you'll get used to it in no time :)

Can I get real here?

Well I think starting with a braid is very smart if you aren't totally comfortable with it. I too leave a long tassle on my braids for that same reason (plus I have more splits on the end so I don't want to make it worse) I would try not to worry what your classmates will think. Perhaps some would like hers more but I've come across a good bit of people who prefer hair like mine to thicker hair. I definitely don't think anyone will think you're a copycat because of how long it takes to grow hair that length. It isn't like you just saw her and decided you want long hair and got it over night lol. But I know you can do it and when you decide to wear it down I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Even if someone has something to say (and I doubt they will), at the end of the day it's your hair, do what you like and let others say what they will :)

goneJackal
November 12th, 2015, 10:07 PM

I wear my hair down most of the time and still always ask myself that.
I was always too shy to ask others, but that's something I'd really like to know.
My conclusion is that I have a tiny forehead and the natural direction of my hair isn't "down", "up", "left" or "right"- it's "FACE".

I bet if I grow a beard, it'll defy gravity.

Dona
November 13th, 2015, 12:54 AM
I suppose that's true. Haha I'm sure you'll get used to it in no time :)

Well I think starting with a braid is very smart if you aren't totally comfortable with it. I too leave a long tassle on my braids for that same reason (plus I have more splits on the end so I don't want to make it worse) I would try not to worry what your classmates will think. Perhaps some would like hers more but I've come across a good bit of people who prefer hair like mine to thicker hair. I definitely don't think anyone will think you're a copycat because of how long it takes to grow hair that length. It isn't like you just saw her and decided you want long hair and got it over night lol. But I know you can do it and when you decide to wear it down I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Even if someone has something to say (and I doubt they will), at the end of the day it's your hair, do what you like and let others say what they will :)

I totally agree here! I sometimes have the same feeling, that is why I either curl my hair overnight so it looks fuller or I wear it up/in a braid. But to be honest, the days when I do nothing and just let it loose, I also get a lot of compliments! The way you view yourself is often a lot more critical than how others view you :). Also, you should just wear your hair the way you like!

On the topic of wearing your hair down: I wear mine down around 50-70% of the time and it works for me. I love wearing my hair down, I just wear it up for work (restaurant), working out and other days when I will be active. I also wear it up when I'm at home, usually. I usually wear it down to class and when I go out.

I also have the problem of keeping hair out of my face! I put the hair in front back with a pin or bobby pins, usually. Other tips are welcome! :)

Gertrude
November 13th, 2015, 05:07 AM
I was always too shy to ask others, but that's something I'd really like to know.
My conclusion is that I have a tiny forehead and the natural direction of my hair isn't "down", "up", "left" or "right"- it's "FACE".

My hair parts naturally on the left, because of how it grows on the back of my head. At the George Martin salon the stylist always forces it to part on the right, so my hair's tiny muscles, which you can't train, will protect me from baldness. Cousin it results from that. I don't fight nature, if it falls out I will find a doctor not a stylist. It does blow all over my face in gusts of wind, but parts again easily.

JustPam
November 13th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Joining in here! I usually wear a ponytail to work and down when I go out, I only ever bun it when I go to the gym, and I now have a weird braided "style" that I can get inside my helmet for skating only. I just dont feel like buns suit my style, I'm a rocker and a bun looks really out of place on me when I'm wearing Doc Martens, jeans, band tees, leather jacket etc, and I just look like I should have long loose wild hair.

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Maybe it is just the type of bun?
A looser messy bun looks good with anything at your age.
But yeah....go wild and free when you can :rockerdud

veryhairyfairy
November 13th, 2015, 05:32 AM
I feel the same, but you know what? You like your hair and it's YOUR HAIR!
There is actually a girl with TBL length at my university, she always wears it down and she has super fairytaled ends (beautiful), and no one has ever said something bad about her. If we all had the same hair it would be boring. Besides fairies don't have blunt hemlines or thick hair. I like to call my self a fairy, and the girls with blunt hemlines mermaids :lol:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/c6/16/13c61667305a0bb3303adfc5b828d336.jpg

I just wanted to say that it was one of the pictures you posted a while back, of your hair in a braid with a super long tassel that really made me start liking braids. I think your hair looks so beautiful in that style! I'm planning on growing a bit past waist now and adding layers at some point so I can do that style myself :o

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words! :smooch:

It was an odd day in class in that there was almost no student-student interaction, thankfully for me, because I wore a braid! :D (and I didn't even make it with a super long tassel since it was super windy)
A few of my friends made comments, and one even asked if it was real lol (poor thing looked embarrassed about halfway through, like she realized what she was asking), but overall it was uneventful. The experience gives me courage to do that more often.
Here's an on-topic shreddy pic! (this is only 4 hours after braiding, I'm still wearing it now and it looks like there's more of my hair outside the braid than there is in the braid!) :lol:
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af164/veryhairyfairy/braid11-13-15_zpsanj755pu.jpg (http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/veryhairyfairy/media/braid11-13-15_zpsanj755pu.jpg.html)

wilderwein
November 13th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words! :smooch:

It was an odd day in class in that there was almost no student-student interaction, thankfully for me, because I wore a braid! :D (and I didn't even make it with a super long tassel since it was super windy)
A few of my friends made comments, and one even asked if it was real lol (poor thing looked embarrassed about halfway through, like she realized what she was asking), but overall it was uneventful. The experience gives me courage to do that more often.
Here's an on-topic shreddy pic! (this is only 4 hours after braiding, I'm still wearing it now and it looks like there's more of my hair outside the braid than there is in the braid!) :lol:
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af164/veryhairyfairy/braid11-13-15_zpsanj755pu.jpg (http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/veryhairyfairy/media/braid11-13-15_zpsanj755pu.jpg.html)

I told you that before but I like your hair exactly how it is.
I didn't even understand why you wanted to thicken up your hemline. But I respect your preferences.
And that braid IS GORGEOUS!
Also paranda braids allways do the trick for a thicker braid. If you ever want to wear a different braid.

veryhairyfairy
November 13th, 2015, 06:04 AM
I told you that before but I like your hair exactly how it is.
I didn't even understand why you wanted to thicken up your hemline. But I respect your preferences.
And that braid IS GORGEOUS!
Also paranda braids allways do the trick for a thicker braid. If you ever want to wear a different braid.

You're just the sweetest, most positive person, thank you! :flower:

I only dislike my taper because it's damage so it feels and looks and waves totally differently from the rest of my hair, I'd love some natural taper with healthy ends!

I should definitely wear more parandas, they help with shred, too. :thumbsup:

wilderwein
November 13th, 2015, 06:17 AM
You're just the sweetest, most positive person, thank you! :flower:

I only dislike my taper because it's damage so it feels and looks and waves totally differently from the rest of my hair, I'd love some natural taper with healthy ends!

I should definitely wear more parandas, they help with shred, too. :thumbsup:

Oh come on 90% of the non LHC people with longer hair than bsl have overall more damaged hair than your ends. It's something only you know and notice :eyebrows:

Also since I always had super tapered ends, I used to wear feathers at the ends of my braids, and it made the whole look super hippie and intentional :lol:

diddiedaisy
November 13th, 2015, 07:02 AM

Hi rags, I'm planning on using olaplex to strengthen my hair. I've done a fair bit of reading on this and a lot of people use the no3 to strengthen un-dyed hair. It might be worth looking into :)

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Also since I always had super tapered ends, I used to wear feathers at the ends of my braids, and it made the whole look super hippie and intentional :lol:

:thumbsup: That brings back great memories :laugh:

wilderwein
November 13th, 2015, 08:22 AM
:thumbsup: That brings back great memories :laugh:

Oh I bet it does!
You have to teach us how to have the orignal hairstyles tho :pray:! You know better than us.

DreamSheep
November 13th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Wow, thanks for the brilliant suggestions everybody! :D

I don't like hair in my face and do half ups with claws, smaller clips, and barrettes; sometimes just held plain, other times in cinnamon or LWBs.
Claw clips are a good idea - I don't know why I didn't even think of that, especially as they are so handy! :)

Meteor Oh she is so inspiring indeed! I really love how she includes in her blog, hair and hairstyles she have done on other longhaired people too. :crush:

DreamSheep You're so kind!!! Thank you very much :flower: (compliment from you, YAAAAAAY *fan mode on*)

As about the half ups, have you tried to do standar buns into half ups? Like cinammon bun for example, held with a hairstick.
Aww you're so sweet! :)
Actually, that's a great point on the buns (also - chance to show off the smaller hair toys I have and chances to do buns that don't work on all of my hair!) What a great idea!! ^_^

It's so awesome that you have someone in your life who can crown-braid or spiral-braid hair! :applause It's not easy!

My favorite solution is definitely half-ups! Alternatively, doing a couple twists (one on each side) and pinning them in place with bobby pins or claw-clips works too (though not as securely). And if you can French/Dutch-braid, you can do those cool-looking faux undercut styles on a side or both sides, but that's some advanced styling IMHO.

About the tangles from the elastic with a half-up... yes, it's such a big problem for me that I have to use a claw-clip instead of an elastic to do that half-up ponytail (I do it messily, not sectioning carefully) or I do a half-up with a braid (if the hair is behaving enough for that kind of sectioning). I'm sure a flexi-8 should work for a half-up pony, too.

About your question on length, I find that with greater length (maybe after tailbone?) I now have fewer problems with hair getting in my face. (From SL to waist was the worst). I think the weight of the ends is pulling the hair downwards somewhat instead of letting it float around and tumble forward. The same phenomenon is probably responsible for the annoying loss of wave and texture at new lengths here. )However, my hair is *not* layered. I think if it was layered, it would still be floating around and falling forward more... )
Aw, thanks! ^_^ It's actually a girl who charges about 10% what a hairdresser would and is also a student at my Uni, so I approached her with the request. Wearing it now so totally against this thread and normal LHC standards as I'm also harbouring a load of bobby pins and hairspray too :p

My longer bangs are approaching boob/waist (depending on which side of the body we look at), so hopefully that problem will vanish soon. The other one I get is hair being caught underneath my armpits all the time.
I like the flexi-8 idea too! I have so many smallish ones that don't get enough love!

Maybe you have cowlicks or otherwise such a growth pattern that the front hair growth in the direction of your face. If this is the case, you could try blowdrying that area to the direction you want when your hair is still very wet (the pattern hasn't yet been able to set), and maybe use a bit of styling product to help. If you don't do neither, you could try to air dry the front area in the direction that you would like to.
I will try this! I usually have it set back I think - but eventually it just pouffs up and then in front of my face.. But I will try with a hairdrier properly next time. I suspect you may be right on the hair follicle/ growth pattern front, I think that is what they do...

I clip bangs back with a teeny claw.
That is such a great (and yet wonderfully simply) idea, I will try this! ^_^

I don't often wear my hair down, but I have never been able to do halfups with any kind of a hairtie. I think my hair just likes to bring others along with it too much, so I can't do it without awful tangles right by my roots. It amazes me that some people can (I also don't think it looks good on me; lumps on top of my head make me look silly. My ears stick out more or something).
Anyway, I use a small barrette to either do a half up, or pull the hair back from my face on one side (opposite my side part). I usually use a metal one, actually; I don't know what to call them, but they sort of pop open and pop shut. I like them because they hold small amounts of hair, are completely flat so they fit under motorcycle helmets without hurting me, and they NEVER seem to pull out hair when I remove them (which is the reason I hate bobby pins).

And I'm wearing it down today! (except for that aforementioned little barrette). :) Braided it to get to work on the motorbike, then took it down in the parking lot. I would have had to redo it anyway to keep it braided- I have awful braid shred.
Yeah, last time I used a hairtie, unless it is a scrunchie, it always gets tangled up so I am very much deterred from doing it.
I've never really had much luck with barrettes either, but I also think I'm not very dextrous on that front..

Haha, that would be awesome if you had a vertically growing beard! :p
I think we may have the same problem (I don't think my forehead is small per se, but it isn't huge either). Some people their hair just parts beautifully and I don't understand how that happens..

I also have the problem of keeping hair out of my face! I put the hair in front back with a pin or bobby pins, usually. Other tips are welcome!
That's a great idea! I never quite got the hang of bobby pins, though I've recently improved a bit in technique :)

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Oh I bet it does!
You have to teach us how to have the orignal hairstyles tho :pray:! You know better than us.

LOL I wore my hair plain....middle part/down with an occasional 'flower hippie headband across my forehead :laugh:
Throw on a body shirt, hip hugger bell bottoms,and sandals; or mini skirt and boots :rockerdud

Claw clips are a good idea - I don't know why I didn't even think of that, especially as they are so handy! :)

Actually, that's a great point on the buns (also - chance to show off the smaller hair toys I have and chances to do buns that don't work on all of my hair!) What a great idea!! ^_^

With so many sizes and styles you can keep it out of your face any number of ways :)
I have done what wilderwein suggested too...my small forks and sticks work great in LWB half ups :)
I need clips for cinnamon buns (half or full); SLIPPERY hair lol

wilderwein
November 13th, 2015, 08:47 AM
DreamSheep Thats exactly the reason why I thought it would work on you. It would probably be more secure too, couse it will weight less. Not to mention that half of your hair will still be protected without the use of damaging elastics.

browneyedsusan
November 13th, 2015, 09:11 AM
two little french braids on top. An accent braid on each side. --Of course the braid on the other side is laying nice and flat, but this side is sticking out. *eyeroll* --

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5745/22997801571_b6d0efb229_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/B3eKbc)2015-11-13_10-27-40 (https://flic.kr/p/B3eKbc) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

ETA: I braided until I couldn't anymore--about an inch of hair left, and taper to just a few strands--then wet and hairsprayed the ends => no damaging hairties!

lapushka
November 13th, 2015, 12:13 PM
two little french braids on top. An accent braid on each side. --Of course the braid on the other side is laying nice and flat, but this side is sticking out. *eyeroll* --

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5745/22997801571_b6d0efb229_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/B3eKbc)2015-11-13_10-27-40 (https://flic.kr/p/B3eKbc) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

ETA: I braided until I couldn't anymore--about an inch of hair left, and taper to just a few strands--then wet and hairsprayed the ends => no damaging hairties!

That's pretty! :D

vpatt
November 13th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Oh come on 90% of the non LHC people with longer hair than bsl have overall more damaged hair than your ends. It's something only you know and notice :eyebrows:

Oh, I love the feather idea.

vpatt
November 13th, 2015, 03:08 PM
back in the day I mostly wore my hair down and of course I wore leather on my arms and bell bottoms with make love not war patches,lol. Teehee

wilderwein
November 13th, 2015, 03:14 PM
LOL I wore my hair plain....middle part/down with an occasional 'flower hippie headband across my forehead :laugh:
Throw on a body shirt, hip hugger bell bottoms,and sandals; or mini skirt and boots :rockerdud
l

Gosh you are so awesome!!! :crush: I feel a bit envy :lol: Does it happed to have any pictures from back then?
It's the first time I actually talk with an original hippie! :bounce:

Looks soooo great :thudpile: And great idea! :thumbsup:

Oh, I love the feather idea.

back in the day I mostly wore my hair down and of course I wore leather on my arms and bell bottoms with make love not war patches,lol. Teehee

Oh yes it looks great. I don't know why I was stupid enough and threw away the feathers :/ I have to find new ones...

My goosh sounds so awesome!!! I apologize for the new generation that took hippie style and messed it up!

vpatt
November 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Oh i forgot to mention sandals, moccasins and bare feet, lol

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by wilderwein

You have to teach us how to have the orignal hairstyles tho ! You know better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
LOL I wore my hair plain....middle part/down with an occasional 'flower hippie headband across my forehead
Throw on a body shirt, hip hugger bell bottoms,and sandals; or mini skirt and boots

Gosh you are so awesome!!! :crush: I feel a bit envy :lol:
It's the first time I actually talk with an original hippie! :bounce:

ROFLOL I have become a celebrity...who knew :laugh:

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Have you got pics? :wink:

hennalonghair
November 13th, 2015, 04:20 PM
ROFLOL I have become a celebrity...who knew :laugh:

Ok...here you go :eyebrows:
Pics are few from that time....paper pics 42 years old; some lost to water damage etc etc
[click to enlarge; sorry about the poor quality/specs etc]

GROOVY GRANNY

Nursing Grad pic 1972 ~ sporting my flipped braid under my cap

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/grichardocds/hair%20pics/th_grad1972_zps6hrjoodd.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/grichardocds/media/hair%20pics/grad1972_zps6hrjoodd.jpg.html)

What hippie doesn't play guitar?! :wink:
I never got into after that lol

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/grichardocds/hair%20pics/th_hippie1_zpsu0nfgmr4.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/grichardocds/media/hair%20pics/hippie1_zpsu0nfgmr4.jpg.html)

Body shirt ~ rust color suede hip huggers ~ suede fringed belt

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/grichardocds/hair%20pics/th_hippie2_zpsvzo9a839.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/grichardocds/media/hair%20pics/hippie2_zpsvzo9a839.jpg.html)

Body shirts and hipster bell bottoms :rockerdud

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Body shirts and hipster bell bottoms :rockerdud

Ain't I cool man :laugh:

wilderwein
November 13th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Groovy Granny I LOVE YOU :thudpile: You're so beautiful :crush:

yes vpatt If you have any pictures we wanna see them!

sugar&nutmeg
November 13th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Body shirts...were those the ones with the snap crotch (what an unpretty word)? I remember those! I also had a rust-color full bodysuit. Just add a mini skirt! shudder:

I wish I could upload pics directly from my iphotos, without a photo 'host' intermediary.

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Groovy Granny I LOVE YOU :thudpile: You're so beautiful :crush:

Thank you :flower:

Body shirts...were those the ones with the snap crotch (what an unpretty word)? I remember those! I also had a rust-color full bodysuit. Just add a mini skirt! shudder:

I wish I could upload pics directly from my iphotos, without a photo 'host' intermediary.

Yup those would be them LOL
No mini skirt pics on hand, but I looked like Nancy Sinatra with my boots...and body shirt of course :wink:

Would love to see your pics too :thumbsup:

goneJackal
November 13th, 2015, 04:44 PM
That's so cool, Groovy Granny! Beautiful photos! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_smile.gif

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 04:59 PM
That's so cool, Groovy Granny! Beautiful photos! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_smile.gif

Thank you :o

wilderwein
November 13th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Thank you :o

And to tie it in.... the present ~ still rockin :rockerdud :wink:

The silver hair just make it more awesome!!!!

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 05:04 PM
The silver hair just make it more awesome!!!!

hennalonghair
November 13th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Those are very nice pics GG

Arctic
November 13th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Groovy your graduation pic is very beautiful! I love b/w portraits! How cool you shared some of your photos with us (and photo of your equally stunning silvery friend), you truly rock!

swords & roses
November 13th, 2015, 05:30 PM
I love wearing my hair down! Always have, always will! :D

Groovy Granny
November 13th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Those are very nice pics GG

Groovy your graduation pic is very beautiful! I love b/w portraits! How cool you shared some of your photos with us (and photo of your equally stunning silvery friend), you truly rock!

Oh yeah...it was B&W...I forgot LOL
There was a maroon stripe on my cap :wink:

And that's my precious Penny ~ 5 year old shih tzu (my baby girl) :D

Thank you :flowers:

Knifegill
November 13th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Sudden winter dryness has led to tangling and is no match for my efforts. I must do better! Leave-ins, oil, something!

wilderwein
November 13th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Sudden winter dryness has led to tangling and is no match for my efforts. I must do better! Leave-ins, oil, something!

Leave-in oils are the best. I actually use a bunch more on the winter time, and it works.

If for example I use two drops normally, in the winter I'll use about 6.

JadedByEntropy
November 13th, 2015, 07:56 PM
if a pony counts as 'down' then i'm down every day. haha I'm so 'lazy' with hairdos that down is almost my only option even past BCL. Winter hit though, with the 30+mph wind so it's gotta be braided for the next 3 months or i'd sooooo be here with you guys. I may just stalk for ideas of how to make down also fancy. seeing some good pics already!

Pinni
November 14th, 2015, 04:46 AM
I'm in! Glad to find this thread. Wonderful photos here. :)

I wear my hair down or at half up do most. I try to make braids sometimes to protect my hair but I like the feeling most when it is down.

wilderwein
November 14th, 2015, 06:12 AM
if a pony counts as 'down' then i'm down every day. haha I'm so 'lazy' with hairdos that down is almost my only option even past BCL. Winter hit though, with the 30+mph wind so it's gotta be braided for the next 3 months or i'd sooooo be here with you guys. I may just stalk for ideas of how to make down also fancy. seeing some good pics already!

I'm in! Glad to find this thread. Wonderful photos here. :)

I wear my hair down or at half up do most. I try to make braids sometimes to protect my hair but I like the feeling most when it is down.

Join the dark side ladies MUHAHAHAHAH

diddiedaisy
November 14th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Keep on rockin groovygranny ;)

missblueeyes
November 14th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Seems like I missed a couple of pages - this thread is moving along quickly! :)
Anyway, I really wanted to share something with you:

I wore my hair down to a concert (Marilyn Manson) and lived to tell the tale!

I didn't take any proper precautions like washing with 'cones because I simply didn't have any and wore my hair over my shoulders across my chest for the whole evening. I was very close to to the wave-breaker (3rd row) and it was super crowded. I was getting super sweaty and I won't deny that I had some thoughts during the concert that I should've worn something else because some people got caught in my hair and I guess I lost 2-3 due to that. :lol: I also wished that my hair was about 30 cm shorter for the whole night.

At the end of the night, I had 1-2 mini dreads forming on the bottom layer of my hair. Those were a pain in the butt to get out but I managed to do it without any detangling spray. Actually, I forgot I had some coconut oil on me so I did it with just my comb and tangle teezer. The detangling took about 30 minutes and I had some expected breakage.

Tl;dr: It wasn't too bad! I don't regret it at all because it was tons of fun!
I only wish I had natural black hair... I'm even itching to dye right now, please tell me not to! :brickwall

wilderwein
November 14th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Seems like I missed a couple of pages - this thread is moving along quickly! :)
Anyway, I really wanted to share something with you:

I wore my hair down to a concert (Marilyn Manson) and lived to tell the tale!

I didn't take any proper precautions like washing with 'cones because I simply didn't have any and wore my hair over my shoulders across my chest for the whole evening. I was very close to to the wave-breaker (3rd row) and it was super crowded. I was getting super sweaty and I won't deny that I had some thoughts during the concert that I should've worn something else because some people got caught in my hair and I guess I lost 2-3 due to that. :lol: I also wished that my hair was about 30 cm shorter for the whole night.

At the end of the night, I had 1-2 mini dreads forming on the bottom layer of my hair. Those were a pain in the butt to get out but I managed to do it without any detangling spray. Actually, I forgot I had some coconut oil on me so I did it with just my comb and tangle teezer. The detangling took about 30 minutes and I had some expected breakage.

Tl;dr: It wasn't too bad! I don't regret it at all because it was tons of fun!
I only wish I had natural black hair... I'm even itching to dye right now, please tell me not to! :brickwall

Marilyn Manson and his fans :hmm:
Typical behavior of someone to want black hair after that :lol: BUT DON'T DO IT!

Groovy Granny
November 14th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Keep on rockin groovygranny ;)

:agree: :rockerdud

KittyBird
November 14th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I know that feeling, missblueeyes! Removing tangles after a concert is a pain, but still totally worth it :p

I'm going out to dinner with DBF and his parents tonight, and I decided to wear a half-up with a medium burgundy pearlized ficcare. My hair is super shiny thanks to coney serum and the camera flash. ;)
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair2/DSC_0053%20copy_zpsjbsutxzq.jpg

wilderwein
November 14th, 2015, 09:15 AM
I know that feeling, missblueeyes! Removing tangles after a concert is a pain, but still totally worth it :p

I'm going out to dinner with DBF and his parents tonight, and I decided to wear a half-up with a medium burgundy pearlized ficcare. My hair is super shiny thanks to coney serum and the camera flash. ;)
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/KittehBird/Hair2/DSC_0053%20copy_zpsjbsutxzq.jpg

How did you do that half up? EXACTLY? :bowtome: :thudpile:
It's a cinammon bun?

KittyBird
November 14th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Thank you wilderwein! I just separated out two sections from the front of my hair and made a lazy wrap bun. Nothing more fancy than that :o

diddiedaisy
November 14th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Thank you wilderwein! I just separated out two sections from the front of my hair and made a lazy wrap bun. Nothing more fancy than that :o

It looks beautiful

wilderwein
November 14th, 2015, 09:27 AM

But it looks fancyy :crush:

missblueeyes
November 14th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Marilyn Manson and his fans :hmm:
Typical behavior of someone to want black hair after that :lol: BUT DON'T DO IT!

Yeah, lol, it was amazing, tho. :,D
I just felt so out of place with my blonde hair.

wilderwein
November 14th, 2015, 09:42 AM

Oh come on, blonde can be metal too => http://loudwire.com/files/2012/03/Arch-Enemy2.jpg

missblueeyes
November 14th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I know. Still... :,D Leave me with my fantasies, I'll probably come to my senses in a couple of days.

vpatt
November 14th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Have you got pics? :wink:

Lol, I haven't been online all morning so I have to catch up......I will try to find some pics....but it may be a while. They are all thrown in an old cheese box. About a zillion from my mom.

wilderwein
November 14th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I know. Still... :,D Leave me with my fantasies, I'll probably come to my senses in a couple of days.

:slap: get the thoughts out of your mind!

vpatt
November 14th, 2015, 10:11 AM

Beautiful!

Robot Ninja
November 14th, 2015, 10:17 AM

Don't do it! It took me years to grow out my black hair. YEARS! It was about as long as yours at the time, too.

Dye it purple! Everybody else is doing it, and it'll wash out. Eventually.

No, but really, back in my goth club days there were plenty of people with blonde or brown hair who didn't look out of place at all.

Groovy Granny
November 14th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Gorgeous :thud:
I often do LWB half ups....but they do NOT look like yours LOL

Lol, I haven't been online all morning so I have to catch up......I will try to find some pics....but it may be a while. They are all thrown in an old cheese box. About a zillion from my mom.

I know right?! Cigar boxes, metal tins and beaten up albums lol
Yay :popcorn: