PDA

View Full Version : Watch out when people recommend...?

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 04:58 AM
What will you say you need to watch out for when people recommend things? Give us some good advice!

I say,

Watch out whenever people (whoever it may be) recommend expensive solutions to your issues. When going through hair "troubles" it is tempting to believe in miracles, but there are none. Trust me. There is only patience and pampering your hair with "normal" things like a "regular" shampoo and "regular" conditioner, "regular" leave-in and "regular" serum/oil. In fact often the most cheap things are the best, both for hair and wallet!

What do you say is good advice?

Linguaphilia
November 8th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree! Simple things and patience are the best!

Concerning nutrition, it can be hard sometimes to "see the forest through the trees". For me good advice in that matter is: listen to your body.

parkmikii
November 8th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Listen to your hair's needs! Just because something works for someone it doesn't mean it'll work for you too. What works the best for them might wreck your hair.

restless
November 8th, 2015, 06:02 AM
...when people recommend all kinds of vitamins and pills for hair growth. They dont know you, your medical history, your diet, your body. Nothing. Im very skeptical to supplements in general and believe a somewhat healthy, normal diet and a daily dose of sunshine is better for you than any vitamin pill could ever be.

missblueeyes
November 8th, 2015, 06:14 AM
... when people recommend that trimming makes your hair grow faster. It's just not gonna happen.

embee
November 8th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Often I have to step back and see where the money is going... who is getting $$ for suggesting something. Like the hairdresser recommending a style that requires frequent hairdresser work. Duh. ;)

Platzhalter
November 8th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Watch out for people who recommend supplements - even though they may help, it's not worth the potential health of your kidneys.
And don't believe there's a solution working perfectly for everyone. It all depends on hair type, genetics and your environment.

Kiiruna
November 8th, 2015, 07:00 AM
... when people recommend anything that "does miracles". Nothing can undo damage - not any serums or conditioners or anything. Scissors are the only thing that can take the damage away.

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Listen to your hair's needs! Just because something works for someone it doesn't mean it'll work for you too. What works the best for them might wreck your hair.

Yes, that reminds me of my all-time motto, it's not about what *you* want, it's about what your hair wants, but I'm going a little off-topic here. ;)

luxurioushair
November 8th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Oil that grows your hair 4 inches in a week!!!!!

parkmikii
November 8th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Oil that grows your hair 4 inches in a week!!!!!

Lol, this reminds me of the Patience video XD

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Lol, this reminds me of the Patience video XD

Yes! The patience video is awesome! :D

Robi-Bird
November 8th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Yes to this a thousand times. If it sounds to good to be true, it is. There's very little difference between cheap shampoos and expensive shampoos except maybe 0.5% of some extract that is highly unlikely to make a difference.

spidermom
November 8th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Beware of taking advice from a web site with a product to sell.

lillielil
November 8th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Any advice that hinges purely on the word "natural". Lots of things are "natural" and not all of them are good.

Hairkay
November 8th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Any advice that hinges purely on the word "natural". Lots of things are "natural" and not all of them are good.

It's the same with the word "organic".

cat11
November 8th, 2015, 10:57 AM
... when people recommend that trimming makes your hair grow faster. It's just not gonna happen.

I disagree but I think it depends on how much and how often you trim. If you dont trim at all over time your hair can actually get shorter from breaking and getting old which has happened to several people.

I would say watch out for when people give you any advice, and always look at that persons hair appearance and their hair type and length before you jump up and think it will work for you too or get you towards what YOU want for your hair. There's so much conflicting advice because people have all different standards for their hair and different shapes and things they wish to encourage. I wouldn't personally take advice from someone with ugly hair (unless it's someone you know has health issues or is making the absolute best out of what they have anyway- then they might have good tips on encouraging getting the most out of what you got. ) or a newbie. And if I did it would be after carefully evaluating it. Newbies often repeat what they have heard but don't have much experience. (I did this too when I first joined... :p)

jarlofthebogfey
November 8th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Any advice, really. :laugh:

Just like parenting. It's all useful input, but... different strokes and all.

I'm glad people give it freely, however. You can't have a buffet, if there aren't options! And advice/solutions should always be in buffet portions. ;)

meteor
November 8th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Any advice, really. :laugh:

Pretty much this. :agree:

You have to always watch out. And it's important to strand-test, patch-test whenever it's something new, especially if one has a history of allergies or sensitivities.

There are certain things that I reasonably trust, for example, that a study isn't lying when it tells me how exactly it was conducted (and, importantly, funded) and shows me its findings (though there have been some cases of misrepresentation there), that ingredients lists don't lie (though there have been cases of misrepresentation there, too), or that products I've tried before should still work the same way for me (if the formula hasn't changed, of course, but even then, skin conditions and sensitivities can develop over time).

As for something less risky, like advice on how to style hair, how to fold it for sleep, or in which order to apply which leave-in... I take ideas on their merit wherever I see them and use common sense before applying to my own situation. :) This stuff is a lot more hands-on and kind of easy to interpret appropriately. For example, it's easy for me to see that the way they brush/wash or back-comb short straight hair in salons could destroy my thigh-length multi-textured hair, and I don't need to try it to know it :lol:, it's enough to know some basic properties of hair and to know the peculiarities of one's own hair well.

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 01:20 PM
As for something less risky, like advice on how to style hair, how to fold it for sleep, or in which order to apply which leave-in... I take ideas on their merit wherever I see them and use common sense before applying to my own situation. :) This stuff is a lot more hands-on and kind of easy to interpret appropriately. For example, it's easy for me to see that the way they brush/wash or back-comb short straight hair in salons could destroy my thigh-length multi-textured hair, and I don't need to try it to know it :lol:, it's enough to know some basic properties of hair and to know the peculiarities of one's own hair well.

Definitely! You need to have a little bit of confidence in your own routine and the way you know hair to be able to withstand all the "advice" others might be wanting to douse you in.

hennalonghair
November 8th, 2015, 02:29 PM

Watch out when people recommend anything. Do your 'own' research for your 'own' hair.
This way you take responsibility for your own decisions and get away from the blame game.

MsPharaohMoan
November 8th, 2015, 04:06 PM
It's the same with the word "organic".

The word "chemical" gets tossed around a lot too, as if it's some demon.

"Everything you can breathe, see, ingest or touch is made up of chemicals. All matter, including us, is made of chemicals."

hennalonghair
November 8th, 2015, 04:18 PM

"Everything you can breathe, see, ingest or touch is made up of chemicals. All matter, including us, is made of chemicals."

Yep! Everything has a chemical composition .

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 04:28 PM

Yes, that bugs me too. That and the way blowdryers are demonized.

Hairkay
November 8th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Yep! Everything has a chemical composition .

That reminded me of when a neighbour was selling some natural organic range cosmetics. I told him I can't use them. He kept going on that they didn't have any chemicals in them which I knew was a stupid incorrect statement to make.

endlessly
November 8th, 2015, 06:44 PM
The one that always gets me: whenever people say that you need to take a certain vitamin, supplement, or change your diet in order to grow longer hair. Yes, having a balanced diet and making sure you're levels are in line is definitely important for your body's overall health, but you certainly don't need to spend hundreds of dollars in supplements to do so. A) Your body can only absorb so much, so... B) Anything your body doesn't absorb is eliminated, which means... C) You actually end up wasting a lot of money!

Because I'm a vegetarian, I always hear that I need to eat more protein to have longer hair and that I must be so deficient in vitamins as a result. Honestly, that's not even remotely true. My diet has never affected my hair growth because I eat better as a vegetarian than I ever did during childhood when I ate meat.

school of fish
November 8th, 2015, 07:12 PM
...anything as the *only* thing, especially the *only* thing for *everyone*.

TheLuckyLurker
November 8th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Anything that promises two or more opposite results. Example: young women told a short haircut will make them look older, and older women told the same cut will make them look younger.

irodaryne
November 8th, 2015, 09:34 PM

Any time someone throws out "natural" like that I remind them that deadly nightshade and poison ivy are also natural. ;D

Kittykins
November 9th, 2015, 04:30 AM
Megadoses of biotin.

Gertrude
November 9th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Biotin. I have no excuse, I am so not young but I promptly took that when it was recommended by friends with manes of hair entirely unlike my own texture. And got acne spots that left red patches slowly healing still more than a year later. Supplementing in excess isn't so good always.

And highly active hair care. Like the George Michael list of rules on washing, brushing, healing " prescriptions", massaging upside down or mixing up things and many treatments at home. So much of haircare for my hair is just being gentle, avoid what it does not like, proactive about mechanical damage shampoo scalp likes and condition hair likes , leave in product that sort of styles for the air drying. Not very active, just a routine while life goes on and hair grows by itself. There's not a lot you can really do to speed up growth or turn damaged hair back to health. An entire industry exists to convince you otherwise.

Trimming is necessary for my hair, as it's so fine but once every three months is fine. With no heat for two years trimming has gone from 9 weeks to 13 for same result. My friend can go years.

And hair toys. Ficcare Flexi 8, Jeterforks and claw clips. Tried all sizes and makes. My hair hates them. Everything anyone swears by can make someone else swear at.

rhosyn_du
November 9th, 2015, 05:16 AM
Anything that will "repair damaged hair." That's not the way hair works.

That drives me crazy! A few weeks ago, someone actually told me they thought they were "just allergic to all chemicals." I had to just walk away from the conversation, because what do you even say to that?

lapushka
November 9th, 2015, 05:19 AM
Great advice everyone. Keep it coming! :D :thumbsup: I love this thread!!!

jarlofthebogfey
November 9th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Megadoses of biotin.

I need to just throw my bottle away. I get the weirdest feeling when I'm about to take one, and then I just don't take it. Bottle is at least a year old now... :laugh: definitely need to toss it, methinks.

I'm always mentally "planning to take extra biotin" though! :rollin:

daniibee
November 10th, 2015, 01:35 AM
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree! Simple things and patience are the best!

Concerning nutrition, it can be hard sometimes to "see the forest through the trees". For me good advice in that matter is: listen to your body.

I'd agree on your thoughts as well but how about those who actually tell the truth? (but how are we going to prove if it's the truth right?) Thing is, My boyfriend has been eyeing hair restorations and we've been looking at quite cool sites about it. Should we not believe it or what

YvetteVarie
November 10th, 2015, 02:36 AM
Research thoroughly before trying a technique or product, and for results on your hair type. And there are no ''instant growth'' solutions

lapushka
November 10th, 2015, 04:19 AM
I'd agree on your thoughts as well but how about those who actually tell the truth? (but how are we going to prove if it's the truth right?) Thing is, My boyfriend has been eyeing hair restorations and we've been looking at quite cool sites about it. Should we not believe it or what

A little bit of caution, no a lot, is usually wise! That's all I'm saying. :)

laceyfairy
November 10th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Anything that promises two or more opposite results. Example: young women told a short haircut will make them look older, and older women told the same cut will make them look younger.

maybe it's that the haircut will make everyone look middle-aged?

Damaging your hair to create texture, washing techniques not appropriate for your health, supplements

jt623
November 10th, 2015, 08:23 AM
You are your own guru.

jarlofthebogfey
November 10th, 2015, 07:39 PM
You are your own guru.

YES! Love this.

MsPharaohMoan
November 10th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Anything that will "repair damaged hair." That's not the way hair works.

That drives me crazy! A few weeks ago, someone actually told me they thought they were "just allergic to all chemicals." I had to just walk away from the conversation, because what do you even say to that?

loool facepalm

diddiedaisy
November 10th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who keep falling for product recommendations. For instance, I recently discovered Dove dry oil conditioner, my hair loves it so I thought this is it I will just stick with this. Then I got a discount code for Pureology, so I got the 1lt moisture one. It doesn't work as well as Dove. Then I saw an offer on Aussie, so I bought two big bottles. It doesn't work as well as Dove. When oh when will I learn?

At least I don't fall for the 4 inches in 4 days stories!!!

jarlofthebogfey
November 10th, 2015, 08:37 PM
At least I don't fall for the 4 inches in 4 days stories!!!

:rollin: This totally reminded me that I haven't eaten my two carrots for the day yet... :laugh: (totally not joking... off to the kitchen)

purpleelephant
November 10th, 2015, 10:18 PM
1) that anything can "fuse split ends together" or something similar. I have yet to find anything that actually rejoins proteins/fibers and seals cuticles like that...

2) you MUST buy the WHOLE line of products for "optimal" results. Individuals have different needs; sometimes you really don't need all 6+ products from a line to keep hair happy/healthy.

Nadine <3
November 10th, 2015, 10:35 PM
I personally cringe when I see someone recommend washing with baking soda. Eh, yeah, it's natural but it's still hash and not great for your scalp.

lapushka
November 11th, 2015, 02:59 AM
I personally cringe when I see someone recommend washing with baking soda. Eh, yeah, it's natural but it's still hash and not great for your scalp.

Yes, that is a pretty major one, that is sometimes *still* even recommended here!

embee
November 11th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Yes, I did the baking soda thing... it took quite a few washes, rinses, conditions, and a good long time to get back to smooth soft hair. Never again. To tell the truth, my hair texture after baking soda reminded me of my hair texture with lots of hairspray in it. Uncombable. :(

luvlonghair75
November 11th, 2015, 06:24 AM
When people involved in pyramid scams insist that you buy their snake oil 'cause it will grow your hair like crazy! They never mention how much hair you'll lose when you start seeing your money go down the drain. :/

Gertrude
November 11th, 2015, 07:01 AM
The whole product line thing. You get that in talks by scary department store sales ladies as well. The products " work together" and your hair/skin needs the various steps and all the lotions and potions. I have wound up more than once with a bag full of them and no money left in the purse. Professional sales techniques.

In the whole avoiding sulphate thing a special mention of cuddly Coco-sulphate. It is the same chemical number as the more refined sodium lauryl suphate. Still gives me eczema Silicone free but contains polyquats that are much harder to remove. Beware in the hair care aisle.

And on the amateur side the chemicals thing. No chemicals. Everything has chemicals. Usually then recommend baking soda and borax for everything. Elementary chemicals.......

Hairkay
November 11th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I had an exasperating conversation with a friend a few days ago. She got herself a new conditioner and shampoo that said something about having o'shea in it. She began to boast that it was better for hair than what I was using. I tried cutting her short and flashed my pouch of 100% banana puree baby food at her. She's knows about my allergies. Yet again I had to remind her that I was using what was best for me. She then tried to reprimand me for cutting her short with her explanation. Then she says that hers hasn't got lots of preservatives in it. It was at that point when I let her know the two ingredients of baby food pouch, banana and a minute dash of lemon sealed to preserve the freshness. I never bothered to ask her read off the list of ingredients for her stuff. If it works for her that's great but it's not going to work for me. My skin can't take that.

lillielil
November 11th, 2015, 10:19 AM

NOOOOOO! I fell for that once when I was on LHC back in 2006. I washed with baking soda and did an ACV rinse. It was horrible for my hair. I know there are lots of ACV fans here still and I would try it again, but baking soda was just about the worst thing I have ever put on my head.

For me the other one is coconut oil. People recommend it all the time. I think it really does work for them, but no matter how many times I try it, it will not work for me. It is great in my facewash and I would even put it on my scalp, but there is no faster recipe for crispy ends for me!

Frankenstein
November 11th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Super pricey salon products because they're "so much better than drugstore stuff". Totally not true, at least in my experience.

Kat
November 11th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Anything someone with short hair tells me I should (or shouldn't) do... especially if it's only something they "heard." Especially if they try to insist that I wouldn't know about caring for my own long hair, which I've been doing for like 15 years now.

Or anything someone is rabidly insistent on me doing or not doing.