PDA

View Full Version : What's your thickness or lack thereof

jivete
October 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I hadn't seen a poll that inquires about ponytail circumference. I'm curious where most LHCers thickness is.

Sorry thickies, I lumped you all into one category. :D

jivete
October 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
So I hope the poll makes sense. It's greater than or equal to the first measurement and less than the second.

I voted number 3, since I'm at 2.25".

plainjanegirl
October 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Let me make sure I understand....you just put your hair in a ponytail ( does it matter if it's high or low) and measure around the base of the ponytail? Also does it matter if the hair is wet or dry?

jivete
October 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM
As described in Feye's hair typing article:

"Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured."

I would do it dry. And make sure you don't measure the band. :)

rockkcor
October 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Stil there is confusion - sorry:)
If you look the type of hair (type box under your avtar) you know how big ponitail is at the small of it...
If you ask how big it is if dry and if my hair gets bit curly - then it is about 1/2 of the width of my back... If it gets longer I think it would only be wider...
I am not sure if this is the right answer:(
:)

jivete
October 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Dry, the hair should be compressed and measured at the base of the ponytail. That way you're not measuring voids. You could measure wet but I personally wouldn't want to wrangle my wet hair into a ponytail.

dancingmegs
October 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
My ponytail circumference is a smidge over 4", dry, tightly compacted.

plainjanegirl
October 10th, 2008, 02:39 PM
After my hair is completely dry tonight or tomorrow I am gonna try to measure mine.
So how do you make sure you do not measure the pony tail band?

redtea
October 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I put 3.5" but < 4.0" - I just measured last night - my hair was just below 4"! I was very surprised and of course promptly changed my hair type here to "ii/iii" :)

I think when I first joined here two years about my hair was about 3.25", but that was with a lot of highlights and bleach damage. I've gotten nearly all of that cut off and the difference in my hair is dramatic and even though I henna right now, my hair is a lot like I remember it being in high school, before I ever touched the boxed dyes! It's very motivating to see such a dramatic difference!

burns_erin
October 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
After my hair is completely dry tonight or tomorrow I am gonna try to measure mine.
So how do you make sure you do not measure the pony tail band?

I personally just found it easier to use a tape measure to ponytail my hair and I had my sister read it. But, i have alot of hair, I am almost to 5 inches in circumfrence, so that might not work very well for someone with less hair.

Nevermore
October 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I measured 4.5 inches last month. My first measurement, when I joined, was 4 inches. I do what burns_erin does, ponytail with the tape measure.

Euphony
October 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
It seems to me if you ponytail with the tape measure it will be larger than if you compactly ponytail it and then measure.

I measure mine at it's most compact, that's about 3 days after washing (ie just before washing it), combed, combed, combed so there's no stragglers and it's as straight as possible. Then I put a ponytail holder over it as tight as I can get it, then measure immediately below the ponytail holder with a soft tape measure. I get 4.25" that way.

If I measure when dry and totally clean and simply 'gathered' into a ponytail holder I get 4.6". If I measure by using the tape measure as the ponytail holder I get 4.9".

Oh man those numbers are frightening to think about since I had a hugenormous shed this last summer and lost a good 1/4". No wonder my cinnamon bun has no cinnamon, it's just a big round puff.

Elphie
October 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
After putting my dry hair in a snug ponytail, I take a soft piece of string and wrap it below the elastic. Keeping my finger on the spot where the ends of the string meet, I take it off and measure it. I am at 4.25.

Brianna
October 10th, 2008, 04:29 PM
As far as I can remember from the last time I measured, I'm at about 2.5". I just got out of a seasonal shed, though, so it might usually be thicker.

May I just say that I'm extremely envious of those of you with 4in+ hair thickness? :eek: My little green-eyed monster is coming out.

emeraldfaery
October 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Mine is exactly 4 inches. It's funny cause I've been shedding a lot, but I still have the same amount.

nappywomyn
October 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM
My goal is 4 inches, even - I don't think I could handle my hair being much thicker, as curly as it is.
I'm exactly 3.5, now. :lol:

I had no clue there were so many thickies!

It would be interesting to see if the long hair community is weighted more towards those with thick hair..... Hrmmmm....

Neen
October 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I agree nappywomyn, I had no idea there were so many thickies either!

I'm about 2.5", I had a major shed about 6 months ago so my ends are even thinner and I don't think all my regrowth has quite made it to my pony tail yet.

winter
October 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM
My thickness is 2,5", it hasn't changed over the years even though I still hope for some more.

Angellen
October 11th, 2008, 01:34 AM
<snip>

It would be interesting to see if the long hair community is weighted more towards those with thick hair..... Hrmmmm....

That makes sense, to me. Thick hair tends to poof at shorter lengths, especially if it has natural wave or curl. I believe it's known as "Triangle Head". Having some length (and therefore weight) makes one look a bit less triangular, thereby avoiding this usually unattractive 'do. i and ii hair don't generally have this problem (of course, the closer the ii is to iii, the more likely this is to occur), and also thinner hair gets a lot of flak for being too thin to be long (not true!). There seems to be more versatility in hair styling, as well, as thicker hair often needs to be thinned in order to hold a style (and sometimes you just don't want that look!). Thinner hair is frequently finer and therefore breaks easier than medium and especially coarse hair. Not to say that thin = fine or thick = coarse by any stretch, as they're obviously different. Anyway, I guess my point is that it makes sense that there would be more thick-haired longies than thin-haired longies, for aforementioned reasons.

That, and there could also be more thickies in the population, period. I don't know. This is mostly speculation and educated guessing, really.

Of course, none of the above is a sure thing and is entirely generalization, but generally speaking, that's what logic seems to indicate. :flower:

vampodrama
October 11th, 2008, 01:56 AM
mine is somewhere between 2 and 2,5.

let's just say I am not happy about it.

Teazel
October 11th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Mine's just over 3 inches. Sigh. I think it was 3 1/2 when I first joined LHC.

twilight_faerie
October 11th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I just measured mine now and I think it's about 3". This makes me super happy because I'm pretty sure last time I measured (uhh...a year and a half ago...) it was much less. Hmm...maybe I did something wrong.

Isilya
October 11th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I voted for 4in+. Usually, my ponytail has a 4.3in ( hair as straight as possible and tightly measured) circumference, but if it's very very wavy, it can be 4.9in.

Miss Hidley
October 11th, 2008, 04:51 AM
cool! my hair measured almost 4in! Apparently it is thicker than I've been giving myself credit for. Though it could also be the new routine- I've been thinking it feels thicker the last few days...

Angellen
October 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Someone posted in a different thread that they twist their pony to squish out any excess air and to get a more compressed pony. I think it works especially well on oily/oiled hair. Using this method, I get 4.25".

I've noticed a few posts where the poster's were feeling down about their thickness, and I've got to say, all of you have fabulous hair!

Anje
October 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Whoa...

I voted 2-2.5 inches because I've usually measured in the 2.25-2.5 inch range, but I just (finally) found my measuring tape today. (Cats apparently had a great time chewing on it.) I've got nearly 3 inches now! I'm not sure how that happened, unless it has to do with having just clarified my hair, but it's rather cool!

Anje
October 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM

I've often suspected that there are way more thickies here than in the general population. (Hmm.. that reads badly. I'm talking about hair -- this is one of the more intelligent crowds I know!)

It would be interesting to compare to the distribution of circumferences in the outside world, if we could find it. Of course, that likely varies by region.

Paniscus
October 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
When I put my hair in a ponytail elastic snuggly and measure just under the hairband, I measure around 4.25. I've gone through a major shed recently due to stress and season, so I'm not surprised I've lost. Not to mention my fringe I cut; it's a tad too thick. :o

If I measure with just a tape measure, I get a much larger number, which I feel isn't accurate.

One weird thing, that I've noticed, is that if I make two ponytails and measure, each one measures 3 inches or more. Which is ridiculous. WOuldn't that mean one ponytail *should* measure over 6 inches? It doesn't, of course. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I've thought about doing 6 ponytails and seeing if I come out with an even higher number?! :D

thankyousir74
October 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I am at 4.5 almost 5 here. Pretty happy, can't wait til it's longer. It's grown since I've just been putting it up and forgetting about it.

Speckla
October 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM
My hair is very, very thin. It looks thick because of my curls.
________
Medical Marijuana Grow (http://growingmedicalmarijuana.org)

HairColoredHair
October 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Last time I checked I was right at 4.

Juneii
October 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM
despite going through a major shedding phase my hair is still over 4" in circumference. I remember when I was young the large hair scrunchies could only go around my hair twice!
I miss the thickness a little bit, but I don't miss the tangles >__<

Kayleena
October 12th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Hi, everyone! :bluesmile My hair ponytail circumference measures in at 2-7/8". I'm not good at math, but I guess the decimal is actually 2.875"; I almost always want to translate that to 2.78". :smile: Anyway, I'm very happy that my hair is firmly in the normal thickness category, as I think it can look and behave like it's thin sometimes. I think it would be nice to get it to 3", since my measurement is so close. I'm not sure if there are ways to accomplish that, though. Have a good hair day!

iluvmy67cuda
October 12th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Mine is almost exactly 3", which suprises me since my hair is to me SO thin. I guess thats ok.

Cantabile
October 12th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Mine's just a tad under 4" when it's wet and compressed. When dry, it's right about 4" now.

I think when I first joined LHC, I was at about 3.6" and it's gone up and down over the year what with stress and such. But overall, an improvement.

Arctic_Mama
October 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Right now, without bangs in it and with two pregnancy sheds and a lot of crown breakage from a straightening iron (ugh) my ponytail is just over 5 inches around a few days after my wash when it is straightened and compressed in a ponytail. I'd expect it will easily be 5.5 in a year or two of healthier habits and assuming I don't have any more severe sheds. Additionally, my hair is baby fine. I've always wondered how many hairs I actually have considering its texture and thickness.

karenpetal
October 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Wow this poll has some interesting results we have sooo many thickies here :)

Rosepatrice
October 12th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Mines at about 2.5

psycho
October 12th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Reading through this makes me feel really thick ;), I measure just a smidge under 5.5". After the bits I burned off in the burning barrel incident last spring grow back better I'll re-measure.

melikai
October 12th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Mine is just above 3.75, almost at 4, and I have a ton of new growth coming in. Plus, the hair shaft of my old bleached ends is much thinner! :cheese:
I'm changing to ii/iii! Should I? Or only once I reach 4 am I considered a thickey?

*waits excitedly*

ETA: changed it

freznow
October 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Slightly under 3", last time I measured.

In the real world, I feel just as bad about my 'thickness or lack thereof' as I do here. My grandma has rather thin hair, always has, and it makes me feel better about my own hair. But that's family. Outside of relatives, I'll have innocent comments of people comparing their hair to mine, "Oh you have a lot of hair. Well, not really a lot of hair, I have a lot of hair, you just have long hair." "You know, even though I envy your long hair, I'm really glad I have thick hair."

On LHC the general population seems to be quite thick. Maybe it means Feye's method is off? Maybe 4"+ ought not to denote 'thick'? Perhaps we ought to put it on a logarithmic scale...

I feel a tad bad, complaining about my thickness, when it's not unreasonably thin, it can even look thick sometimes, but it's hard not to, in this great big hairy world.

kwaniesiam
October 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Between 1.5-2.0", hoping someday to just barely push past 2" though.

melikai
October 12th, 2008, 11:31 PM

In the real world, I feel just as bad about my 'thickness or lack thereof' as I do here. My grandma has rather thin hair, always has, and it makes me feel better about my own hair. But that's family. Outside of relatives, I'll have innocent comments of people comparing their hair to mine, "Oh you have a lot of hair. Well, not really a lot of hair, I have a lot of hair, you just have long hair." "You know, even though I envy your long hair, I'm really glad I have thick hair."

On LHC the general population seems to be quite thick. Maybe it means Feye's method is off? Maybe 4"+ ought not to denote 'thick'? Perhaps we ought to put it on a logarithmic scale...

I feel a tad bad, complaining about my thickness, when it's not unreasonably thin, it can even look thick sometimes, but it's hard not to, in this great big hairy world.

I don't think your hair looks thin at all - and if you're really getting such comments then I can't believe how rude people are, as well as inaccurate. You have very lovely hair!

kunibob
October 13th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I was at 4.25" when I first joined LHC at the beginning of September, and then was 4.0" a little while ago -- and today, I am measuring ~3.6" -- EEK!! What's happening to my hair? :( I hope this is just a result of damaged strands smoothing out or something!

Dolly
October 13th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I am only 1 and 7/8"....sad sad.....

darl_in1
October 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Mine's over 5.5" unfortunately.

Seraphina
October 15th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Around 5" for me.

Garnet66
October 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I can't give an exact measurement since my hair is STILL too short for a pony tail. I polled between 2.5-3.0. I'm guessing that's an average of some sort. When I first hairtyped my hair I put hair in four ponytails and took the average of all those measuremnts. Not accurate by any count but it gave me something to put in my hairtyping thing.

jivete
October 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Garnet66, if you calculated the volume of each ponytail, you could add then up and then use the total volume to calculate the equivalent diameter and then the circumference...

Euphony
October 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Mine's over 5.5" unfortunately.
Now that I've figured out how to measure correctly mine is thicker than I thought. Currently 4.6" had a massive shed over the summer, lost 1/4"...can't imagine being almost 4.9" when it grows back. Can't imagine how you deal with that much thickness, mine is difficult enough!

Leabhar
October 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I'm at 4" on the dot.

Islandgrrl
October 16th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I'm at 4.25, without my bangs - they're not long enough to get back into the pony yet.

SophieGrowGrow
October 16th, 2008, 05:50 AM
2 1/2 but once my fringe grows out along with the shaping at the side of my face I think it could be three and a half.

JessTheMess
October 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I am a tad bit less than 2.5 inches :( Maybe I'll be at 3 when my fringe grows out

heidi w.
October 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Really? The majority have greater than 4 inches of CIRCUMFERENCE of hair?

I find that difficult to believe.

Anyone look at 4 inches on the ruler?

Are people squeezing their hair?

I walk around on the planet and see a lot of hair, and very, very few would be in the beyond 4 inch CIRCUMFERENCE of hair when hair is bound (and all air removed between strands).

I assume all are squeezing, too, at the nape of the neck?

Really, greater than 4 inches in circumference? (that means the circle of ponytail is greater than 4 inches)

My circumference is basically at 1 inch.
OH< I have my hair in a half hitch today (half up/down), and only measured, thus, near the end of the hair. I'll have to redo this when I take it down tonight. I should be greater than 1 inch then. Maybe I'll hit 2 inches, then. hmmm. gotta check it out now. It's been eons since I've done this. Fun to know the factoids.

heidi w.

vindo
October 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
4" for me, voted 3.5-4..one shed and I am down to ii again.

vindo
October 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Really? The majority have greater than 4 inches of CIRCUMFERENCE of hair?

I find that difficult to believe.

Anyone look at 4 inches on the ruler?

Are people squeezing their hair?

I walk around on the planet and see a lot of hair, and very, very few would be in the beyond 4 inch CIRCUMFERENCE of hair when hair is bound (and all air removed between strands).

I assume all are squeezing, too, at the nape of the neck?

Really, greater than 4 inches in circumference? (that means the circle of ponytail is greater than 4 inches)

OH< I have my hair in a half hitch today (half up/down), and only measured, thus, near the end of the hair. I'll have to redo this when I take it down tonight. I should be greater than 1 inch then. Maybe I'll hit 2 inches, then. hmmm. gotta check it out now. It's been eons since I've done this. Fun to know the factoids.

heidi w.

I was surprised about the result too since according to studies the average is 7cm..which is around the 3" (??? convert plz)

I twist my hair slightly to compress it, but not much to compress with 1a hair that compresses naturally :lol:

But I was also surprised your hair might be 2"...it looks like iii hair in the pictures.

jivete
October 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I don't find it hard to believe that most members here have 4" circumference or greater at all. In fact, I was pretty sure thinner hair was less common with long hair. I look at people's ponytails all the time and many people look to have at least 3" in circumference. And I see people all the time with double braids where one braid is thicker than my individual braid. My circumference is 2.25" pulled tight and I know I'm measuring correctly. If this engineer can't figure out how to measure her ponytail we're all in trouble.

For quick reference a penny (D=0.75") has a circumference of approximately 2.35". So my ponytail is roughly penny sized at it's base.

Nickels(D=0.83") are about 2.61".

Quarters (D=0.95") are about 3".

Akiko
October 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
7 cm is 2.75 inches. That's my circumference. I thought I had thinner hair, but the average... Good to know.

Heidi, you might want to measure again. When I measured mine in centimeters, I misread the measurement. My little pinkie is more than 1 inch in circumference. Your hair looks much thicker than my little finger.

burns_erin
October 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Wow, we sure have a bunch of thick haired ladies (and gents) here.

Angellen
October 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
It's when people use diameter instead of circumference that it gets confusing, I think. My hair is about 1.35" in diameter (I think. Using a soft ruler/measuring tape here.) but 4.25" in circumference.

I do my fair share of walking, and I've seen only two people with hair comparable to mine in thickness (one thicker, one thinner). I think thicker hair generally has an easier time gaining length and from what I hear, thinnies get a lot of intimidation from people who say their hair is not conducive to longer lengths. :shrug:

SweetPea88
October 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hmm, it could be that thickies are just more likely to vote in a poll like this?

ETA: I just measured and I get numbers between 3.5 and 4, that's definitely more than what I started here with! :)

jivete
October 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Well, having fine and thinner hair, my theory is just that it's easier to grow long hair when it's thicker. I may be wrong, but, with thinner hair, damage shows up a lot easier, especially when it's fine. And while thin does not always equal fine and thick does not always equal medium or course, I would guess, on average those statements are true. So if your hair is fine and thinner, then it takes a little more babying than a more resilient hair texture to get it long and healthy looking.

Of course all hair types are beautiful and all can grow, but having struggled my entire life just get to BSL and watching all of my family members with the same hair type struggle to grow their hair, I do believe that certain hair types just require more pampering to grow long. And many with similar hair may not be up to the challenge so it's easier to keep it on the shorter side.

Just my thoughts.

Angelica
October 17th, 2008, 03:20 AM
jivete - you are not alone in thinking this. It is also down to genetics though. If your genes state you can't grow hair very long, then nothing you can do can make it grow that long. Regardless of what I do to my hair, I have only ever been able to have hair the current length I wear it. Naturally thick hair is stronger. Again I have seen people with thick hair unable to grow their hair long. It is wrong to assume that just because someone can't grow their hair long it must mean they don't look after it.

I'm afraid genes have a lot to answer for! But without that we would all be the same.

jivete
October 17th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Angelica I wasn't suggesting that someone who can't grow longer hair doesn't look after it, sorry if it came off that way. But I do believe that the amount of care/benign neglect that I must give mine to achieve even healthy moderate lengths (BSL or maybe waist) would be too much for some people. I really can't do anything to my hair and keep it. The only reason it's the length it is now is because I quit everything, including shampoo which is too harsh for me. Heck I barely comb it because I think that's too much for my hair.

Well here's to growing the best hair we can and loving it for what it is, not lamenting what it is not.

rhubarbarin
October 17th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Mine is 2.5 exactly.

To measure, I put it in a ponytail on top of my head and tie a piece of string as tightly as I can around it right next to the band. Then I cut and measure the string. I used to just wrap my measuring tape around it, turns out that added 1/2".

I would love to get over 3" someday but I don't think it's going to happen.

ETA: Reading this thread, I think I measure differently than most people here. I compress the heck out of my hair. Literally squeeze it as tight as I can. If I just loop the tape measure around my ponytail and don't pull it super-tight I get 3-3.25" since I have 'big' hair. And my tape measure has a piece of metal on the end, which I think increases the number. Anyway I think the method of measuring makes a big difference.

Kyamo
October 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Mines 3". But I haven't measured thickness in forever, maybe I should check again.

Barca
October 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
As tight as i could get it, with most of my hair it was more than 5 inches thick. my hair is really curly so i couldn't brush it to flatten it out. I'll try again after I wash it, put it in a pony and let it dry.

Angelica
October 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Angelica I wasn't suggesting that someone who can't grow longer hair doesn't look after it, sorry if it came off that way. But I do believe that the amount of care/benign neglect that I must give mine to achieve even healthy moderate lengths (BSL or maybe waist) would be too much for some people. I really can't do anything to my hair and keep it. The only reason it's the length it is now is because I quit everything, including shampoo which is too harsh for me. Heck I barely comb it because I think that's too much for my hair.

Well here's to growing the best hair we can and loving it for what it is, not lamenting what it is not.

Hi jivete

Sorry you misunderstood me. I was remarking about previous posts I've been reading on this forum regarding why some people apparently can't grow their hair very long and others can't.

I was agreeing with your statement. It is "generally" the thick haired people who can get their hair to grow the great lengths. I think with my hair type anyway it would be too wispy even if it could reach great lengths. And that would be no good.

Unnamed
October 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Currently 2.125" ...or so. Been getting some 2" lately, though. This is measuring with just a tape measure. If I put it in a pony and THEN measure it, I lose about 1/8" to 1/4". Doing that I'm getting pretty much 2" most times, and if it's less...for now I'm pretending it's 2". :lol:

I voted in the 2"-2.5" category.

I'm hoping it'll thicken up at some point, maybe (as in closer to the 3" mark), but not really counting on it or waiting for it. :lol:

brightonwoman
October 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Well, my circumference is around 2.5...but the DIAMETER is about a half inch...gee, using the circ measurement makes me feel like I have more hair than I usually think of. LOL!

Vivien'
October 18th, 2008, 06:49 AM
My last measure shows around 3", I believe

melikai
October 18th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Mine is 2.5 exactly.

To measure, I put it in a ponytail on top of my head and tie a piece of string as tightly as I can around it right next to the band. Then I cut and measure the string. I used to just wrap my measuring tape around it, turns out that added 1/2".

I would love to get over 3" someday but I don't think it's going to happen.

ETA: Reading this thread, I think I measure differently than most people here. I compress the heck out of my hair. Literally squeeze it as tight as I can. If I just loop the tape measure around my ponytail and don't pull it super-tight I get 3-3.25" since I have 'big' hair. And my tape measure has a piece of metal on the end, which I think increases the number. Anyway I think the method of measuring makes a big difference.

I tried your method (previously, I put hair in a tight ponytail and used a tapemeasure tightly around base above elastic), and only got 1/8" less. But perhaps some people don't use the tapemeasure tightly enough....

peachy.pudding
October 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Mine is at at ii which is 3.5 i am sure i could get a more accurate measurement but i am not obsessed with milimeters.

burns_erin
October 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Interesting to note, i measured my hair when heavily oiled and it was more than 5 inches, so oiled hair will greatly increase your measurement.

GlassEyes
October 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM
3 inches. So I'm firmly in the ii, but i also have a lot of layers.

FrannyG
October 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM
My circumference is just about a millimetre more than 3 inches. Having said that, I have an extremely rapid taper, so I feel more like a "i" than an "ii".

peachy.pudding
October 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM

You hair is not thin at all, most of you hair pics look identical to those claiming to have 4 inches plus ;)

Zefyra
February 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I voted 3.5 -4.0
I havent washed my hair in about 3 days so it at its thinest right now.
I made two ponytails because I have bangs and layers, so I couldnt get it all into one. Each ponytail measure two inches with a the tape measure pulled very tight, directly under the band.
If I pull my hair into a single ponytail, with alot of the bangs and short wispy layered bits falling out, I get a little less then 3.5... So averaging it out Id say its between 3.5 and 4.

That makes me feel good cuz I have really fine hair, plus layers so I though it would be less.

Anywhere
February 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I voted >= 3.0" but < 3.5".

My hair is about 3.15ish"

Ais
February 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
It seems to vary slightly, I think due to how long ago I'd washed/oiled it, but I generally fall somewhere in the upper ii zone, in between 3.5in and 3.8in. It looks a lot more when it's loose as I have quite full waves and curls.

battles
February 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Mine isn't long enough to get into a ponytail. :(

islandboo
February 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I'm just a bit under 1 3/4". I'd like to see that go up a bit but I'm not holding my breath.

krissykins
February 25th, 2011, 07:03 PM
4.5". I didn't realize I was a thickie until recently :lol:

Cirafly24
February 26th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Mine is 3.25" I had gone down to 3" after a big shed last year, but cassia gave me my 1/4" back :crush: I also have a slew of new baby hairs...I'm hoping that will add some more thickness when they grow out.

kme81
February 28th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I am extremely challenged with this measurement. :/

ooo
March 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM
It's more than 10 cm :)

Shany
March 6th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I measured it as tight as I can with the measuring tape on wet hair (in a tight ponytail tied with an elastic band) . I did it twice to be sure, and got 5.5''. It doesn't even look very thick, my hair lays flat on my head. It used to look very poofy and wavy as a teenager, even when I tried to blowdry it straight.

Edit: DBF measured it for me yesterday and got 3.75 inches o.0 big difference.

UP Lisa
March 7th, 2011, 07:22 AM
You have absolutely beautiful hair!

Right now, without bangs in it and with two pregnancy sheds and a lot of crown breakage from a straightening iron (ugh) my ponytail is just over 5 inches around a few days after my wash when it is straightened and compressed in a ponytail. I'd expect it will easily be 5.5 in a year or two of healthier habits and assuming I don't have any more severe sheds. Additionally, my hair is baby fine. I've always wondered how many hairs I actually have considering its texture and thickness.

UP Lisa
March 7th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I think that what is considered "normal" thickness here, is actually considered to be "thin" by the rest of the world.

Idun
March 7th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I´m 9-10 cm depending on when I measure. I think I have lost some thickness as my hair got past waist-lenght.

squee
March 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I am about 3.25-3.5 ish
Think when I first joined it was 3.75-4inches. It will get back there!

constancev18
March 12th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Depends on if I straighten it or not. When straightened it cannot be more than 2 inches but unstraightened it is probably twice that--depending on how tightly I pull the band.

Amber_Maiden
January 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM
6in. Very thick.

molly_grue
January 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'm 4.5 in

dwell_in_safety
January 1st, 2012, 02:42 PM
Just over 5".

gingerella
January 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM
My hair dresser actually thins out my hair a bit to bring out my waves and make it more managable, though I still have very thick hair.

Zesty
January 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
I'm right at 4". So thick, but not ultra thick. :)

aisha.christine
January 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
5.75 inches.
Uncomfortably thick for my hot, arid climate.

MagicalMystery
January 2nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
To tell you the truth, I can't remember. I've worn heavily layered hair for years! I do remember my hair weighing a ton when it was to my waist in high school. Not only is each hair strand thick, I have tons of hair!

mktmgt
January 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Mine is 6 inches thick. I'm quite proud of its thickness, though it can be a little annoying in the summer lol. :)

Diamond.Eyes
January 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Mine is 6.25 inches thick. It has been doing a great job of keeping me warm this winter. :)

Seeshami
January 2nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
right around 4 inches around, it's heavy hot and a bad Naughty mess but I love it and spoil it only to be burned again and again by it's cruelty. :D

MagicalMystery
January 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
A little off topic, but love your color, Diamond! :)

MissManda
January 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
My hair is 4-4.25" thick at the nape and 4.25-4.5" at the top of my head.

battles
January 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
I went from a 2.75 when I was first able to get my hair into a ponytail, to a 3.5

I think quite a bit of my hair grew out long enough to get into the ponytail, plus using castor oil helped. :)

auroraclio
January 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'.m at 2.75, very envious of all you with 4+

Diamond.Eyes
January 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
A little off topic, but love your color, Diamond! :)Thank you so much! :flower:

nightwish90
January 4th, 2012, 11:34 AM
May I just say that I'm extremely envious of those of you with 4in+ hair thickness? :eek: My little green-eyed monster is coming out.

me toooooooo. it's so unfair.... i have 2.9 inches... :( i want thicker hair :(((
i've read some of you have experienced some thickening since joining this forum. what did you do it in order to see this improvement. i would be really happy if i could get 0.5 more in my cyrcumference. !!!!!!!!!

nightwish90
January 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Mine is 6.25 inches thick. It has been doing a great job of keeping me warm this winter. :)

your hair is a dream, thick and a gorgeous colour!!!!!! natural readhead? i'm so envious!!! i'll try to henna my hair maybe i can get a little bit of your colour. i have brown hair with red reflexes(but only in the sun) i'm so envious on those who naturally have red and thick hair! i wish i had it too:rolleyes: where did you get your hair from? mother?dad? your face is also gorgeous ...

nightwish90
January 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I´m 9-10 cm depending on when I measure. I think I have lost some thickness as my hair got past waist-lenght.

but why??? does the length influence the thickness? how??? i'm very surprised:confused:

AGFE0914
January 4th, 2012, 11:46 AM
NEWBIE Question . I apologize if this has been asked already :( What is the easiest way to measure this???

Alex Lou
January 4th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Wow. It doesn't look that thick at all. I guess because it's so straight. I would not want to put all that in a pony tail, my pony tails look too thick as they are!

MissManda
January 4th, 2012, 12:30 PM
NEWBIE Question . I apologize if this has been asked already :( What is the easiest way to measure this???

Here you go. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84905&highlight=thickness) :flower:

princessp
January 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM
In the last year mine has measured from 4.5"-4.75" depending on the day I guess. I have what most people would describe in person (and likely in photos) as thick hair. I just have a lot of hair and I wouldn't really want too much more (in length yes but not thickness). Folks, thickness isn't everything and certainly does not always equal good hair. And frankly it can sometimes be a pain in the butt. For instance my hair needs to be at least waist for me to even put it in a proper updo and at TB there are still plenty I can't do yet-curses! So I hope those with smaller pony tails don't lament because let's face it, you all have gorgeous hair!

I have absolutely no idea how all of you with 6" hair can even manage. There are a ton of these threads here and in my time at LHC I can't remember seeing more than a small handful of people with hair over 5" or 5.5" so I am floored at how many members we have now with 5+" hair -wow! If you haven't already you might want to check out the thick hair threads. They will offer you a lot of thick hair related information.

AGFE0914
January 4th, 2012, 04:51 PM
:cheese::D:disco::happydance::cheer::joy:THANK YOU THIS WAS VERY HELPFUL!! :blossom::flowers::flowers:

Here you go. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84905&highlight=thickness) :flower:

aisha.christine
January 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM
(snip) I just have a lot of hair and I wouldn't really want too much more (in length yes but not thickness). Folks, thickness isn't everything and certainly does not always equal good hair. And frankly it can sometimes be a pain in the butt. For instance my hair needs to be at least waist for me to even put it in a proper updo and at TB there are still plenty I can't do yet-curses! So I hope those with smaller pony tails don't lament because let's face it, you all have gorgeous hair! (snip).

I 100% agree with this.
I have seen so much beautiful hair that is thinner than mine, and way more beautiful :)
I really admire how people with i, i/ii, and ii thickness can do so many updos with less length. It's such a great trait. I can't even do an english braid at this length. :(

Everyone's hair is unique and beautiful :D

UP Lisa
January 5th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I saw a girl last night who had her hair in two pigtails. Each one of them way way thicker than all of mine put together.:(She had to have over 6".

UP Lisa
January 5th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I actually didn't mean to say "way way", just "way".

Henrietta
January 7th, 2012, 05:13 AM
>= 3.0" but < 3.5", measured today! Closer to thick than to thin, but I am surprised by the fact that so many of people here has very thick hair. I thought that average circ is ii or ii/iii, and it seems like it's iii.

Naphthylamine
January 7th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I had picked >= 2.5" but < 3.0" last year when I first voted on this poll. But recently I've measured 3.5"!! Yay for me :D

Venefica
January 7th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I have 4,1 inches around my ponytail. In addition I have thick bangs.

EtherealDoll
January 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Mine is 5.3 and I also have a fringe.

UP Lisa
January 10th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I think in the real world, people would consider anything under 4" to be thin.

jojo
January 10th, 2012, 08:39 PM
mine was 3.5" when I joined and now it is 4.3" thick and I have a side fringe

Terra
January 11th, 2012, 02:22 AM
>= 3.5" but < 4.0"
3 to 4 month ago it was less than 3"... But with good treatment and some vitamins it got more :cheese:

ludwig20
January 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM
5 inches. I'm going through a season shed, though, so I hope to (re)gain a bit more.

Kira94
January 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Exactly 3 inches last time I measured. ;)
I must admit, I'm rather jealous of all you super thick haired people! :)