PDA

View Full Version : Has Your Hair Ever Fallen Out due to Chemical Straightening / Perming?

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Has Your Hair Ever Fallen Out from the root due to Chemical Straightening / Perming?

For those of us going through Telogen Effluvium due to chemical procedures, it would be great to hear recovery stories.

I've lost over 50% of my hair to a keratin straightening treatment and it is still falling out. Dermatologist says there is no scarring and it will grow back.

My question is: Once you'd lost hair from an area - how long was it until you could see new hair growing?

People usually say - "Oh my hair took years to grow back!" But I'm not asking how long it took to grow it long.

Just how long until that moment where you first realised a thinning patch was filling in?

Also, again, specifically from those who lost hair from a chemical procedure: How long until your hair stopped shedding?

Thank you so much everyone in advance. You are part of the best hair community in the world as far as I'm concerned!

lapushka
November 7th, 2015, 11:05 AM
No but I got a chemical cut & burn once after henna, bleach, bleach, chemical dye and chemical dye. Kind of a "the last straw" thing, I guess. I had BSL hair and it just fell out (burn) and came out in clumps both from the root and lower down (chemical cut). I had to have it cut back to chin length.

I said enough is enough after that and went all natural/virgin. I am classic length now and happy as can be (it grew back, but took a looong time). That's why it took me 10 years to get to classic, I guess.

I can't remember when the shedding stopped exactly. A lot came out all at once, so most of it was gone in one go.

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 11:26 AM
No but I got a chemical cut & burn once after henna, bleach, bleach, chemical dye and chemical dye. Kind of a "the last straw" thing, I guess. I had BSL hair and it just fell out (burn) and came out in clumps both from the root and lower down (chemical cut). I had to have it cut back to chin length.

I said enough is enough after that and went all natural/virgin. I am classic length now and happy as can be (it grew back, but took a looong time). That's why it took me 10 years to get to classic, I guess.

I can't remember when the shedding stopped exactly. A lot came out all at once, so most of it was gone in one go.

Thanks for this. Sorry, you didn't say how long after the hair fell out you experienced new growth? When the first hairs started growing back.

Everyone always says it took years to grow it back, as you have done - saying it took you 10 years to get to classic. I'm not worried about that as I don't want classic length hair so that doesn't bother me at all.

Maybe someone will just tell me how long it takes to get the first regrowth - the first few millimetres of hair?

Sarahlabyrinth
November 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I can't tell you precisely when my hair began growing back (after a stress related shed in March 2013) but I can say that I first noticed new hairs in October 2013 and they were about 3-4 inches long. So my guess is that they must have begun regrowing pretty much immediately, to reach that length when I first noticed them.

lapushka
November 7th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Maybe someone will just tell me how long it takes to get the first regrowth - the first few millimetres of hair?

I think it was about a month's worth of patience before the first stubble hit.

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Well, that's brilliant news - how reassuring, thank you.

As long as it starts growing I'm happy.

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Wow. So, it's actually taken just two years for those inches to get as long as they are now? Your hair is very thick and full now!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 7th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Double post.............

Sarahlabyrinth
November 7th, 2015, 12:39 PM
No - those hairs are not yet at full length, that will take years more. It's just that now they blend in with the rest of my hair and so are no longer noticeable.

The hairdresser told me a couple of weeks ago that those hair could take another three years to reach my current hemline and fill it in nice and thickly. I'm not too worried, I know it will get there in the end. Hair growing is a long term project, no?:)

lapushka
November 7th, 2015, 12:52 PM
The hairdresser told me a couple of weeks ago that those hair could take another three years to reach my current hemline and fill it in nice and thickly. I'm not too worried, I know it will get there in the end. Hair growing is a long term project, no?:)

Yes, it is long term. But I remember how *I* was when I first got here, very impatient and eager for change *now*. It takes time to learn patience, no kidding!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 7th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Yes, I was just the same. I'm sure most of us are when we first join.

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Yes, it is long term. But I remember how *I* was when I first got here, very impatient and eager for change *now*. It takes time to learn patience, no kidding!

I must have been born patient then. I'd not cut my hair since childhood - I'd patiently waited 15 years for my hair to grow.

I hadn't dyed it (except for 10% highlights), or straightened it (chemically or with hair dryer or tongs) in that whole time.

Few can say that.

I tried a keratin treatment many on these boards (newbies and oldies) have tried, and got unlucky - lost over 50% in a matter of weeks.

Few who had that experience would not want to ask questions about hair growth - you'd have to be very unusual indeed.

I suppose it seems silly to others, but I've yet to meet anyone whose lost over half their hair, and not through choice, not look for as much information as they can on how to make it grow faster.

As I've said - I'm not fussed about growing my hair really long really quickly. But yes, I'd like to make sure my scalp is covered.

Not because I'm an impatient newbie, but because it is what anyone would want.

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Yes, I was just the same. I'm sure most of us are when we first join.

Well, in my case, I'm not seeking tail bone long hair. I just want my scalp to be fully covered after losing half my hair.

I'd feel that way new or not.

Prior to that treatment, with the exception of the 10% of my hair that was highlighted, I hadn't touched my hair.

I'd done nothing but wait, patiently, for 15 years for my hair to grow.

So, I must be an unusual newbie in that respect from what you two have said.

I complimented you on your full and long hair. I did not say I was expecting full and long hair for myself, and quickly.

I specifically said in my posting that my interest was when the new growth began.

That's all I said. Nothing about wanting to grow long hair really fast.

I want to be able to go to work without people staring at my scalp.

I would want that whether I'd been on this board a long time or a short time.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 7th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Well, I can understand that, and I hope you get your new growth soon. Losing half your hair certainly would be traumatic, so sending you plenty of growing vibes!

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Well, I can understand that, and I hope you get your new growth soon. Losing half your hair certainly would be traumatic, so sending you plenty of growing vibes!

Thank you. That is appreciated.

chen bao jun
November 7th, 2015, 01:35 PM
No, but my mom did. Jamaican black castor oil helped her. she had not lost half her hair b ut had really large bald patches.

Suzysu
November 7th, 2015, 02:02 PM
No, but my mom did. Jamaican black castor oil helped her. she had not lost half her hair b ut had really large bald patches.

Hey we have somewhat similar hair texture! I'm mostly 3B but I do have some 3C at the back!

It's funny you should mention castor oil because for the past few days I've been using castor oil (although not that kind), and it has made a real difference to my eyelashes already.

Oddly, I can now feel curly hair at the roots - as I had a keratin straightening treatment (that caused the hair loss) my hair is straighter than usual. I have therefore been baffled to find curling hair at the roots as this suggests new hair.... Yet it couldn't happen that quickly, over the course of 3 days of using castor oil.

On the thinning areas they seem more filled in but - it's hard to know for sure. It seems unlikely.

Yet, it worked so quickly on my eyelashes, which also makes little sense.

I will continue for another month and then take a look. Trouble is, it isn't the only thing I'm doing to baby my hair - (biotin, vitamin D3 and pre-natal tablets for 3 weeks, Monistat for 10 days) so it's hard to know what is doing what.

Also, you could argue that the very act of massage stimulates growth, and maybe it is that and not the castor oil!

SexyWitch
November 7th, 2015, 04:53 PM
I never had it fall out due to chemical straightening or perming, but when I was in middle school it fell out when I used Infusium 23 conditioner. Once I stopped using it, it started growing back.

jt623
November 7th, 2015, 05:50 PM
No, my hair has never had a problem. I was given a free keratin straightening treatment after divorcing henna, but I prefer my hair wavy.

copperlites
November 7th, 2015, 06:16 PM
I lost a lot of thickness after a double dose of "Behave" keratin straightening in December 2014. I first had it done in August 2014 and was very happy with the rest. By December it was relaxing again and i decided to have it redone. The first did not work properly due to not enough of the product being applied. The hairdresser told me it was " a faulty batch" and redid it the following week, in the weeks and months following i experienced shed and breakage, losing about an inch of thickness. from 4inches to 3 inches in ponytail circumference and a lot more in the hemline...
I discovered long hair community in February 2015 and started learning how to take care of my hair better. At the time i was considering a big chop at the recommendation of the hairdresser who did the treatments. I resisted the urge, followed a ton of advice on here and became more aware of what my hair was doing. I have a lot of new growth baby hairs all through my hair, many of which are now around 4 to 6 inches long some10 months later, so I am guessing new growth began immediately. Since March I have been taking silica and biotin supplements in an effort to ensure the new growth comes in strong and doing monthly micro trims to thicken up ends.
i am nursing it back to health with months inversion therapy as well as pre shampoo coconut owing twice a week.
My hair is natural wavy . frizzy . wurly and all different textures all over my head, so really frustrating to deal with, which is why I went for the keratin treatments. I have been following the keratin straightening thread on here, and following Minko's experiences, I am contemplating booking in for the Kerasilk treatment at a local salon. I went and had a lengthy discussion with the stylist who is "the expert" in this treatment as i am concerned about going down this route again...but the fuzzy regrowth is driving me mad. He said my hair is on tip top shape...which i was happy to hear ...but not sure if that is his way or encouraging me to go ahead with the treatment. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18609&d=1440403966

Suzysu
November 8th, 2015, 03:08 AM
I lost a lot of thickness after a double dose of "Behave" keratin straightening in December 2014. I first had it done in August 2014 and was very happy with the rest. By December it was relaxing again and i decided to have it redone. The first did not work properly due to not enough of the product being applied. The hairdresser told me it was " a faulty batch" and redid it the following week, in the weeks and months following i experienced shed and breakage, losing about an inch of thickness. from 4inches to 3 inches in ponytail circumference and a lot more in the hemline...
I discovered long hair community in February 2015 and started learning how to take care of my hair better. At the time i was considering a big chop at the recommendation of the hairdresser who did the treatments. I resisted the urge, followed a ton of advice on here and became more aware of what my hair was doing. I have a lot of new growth baby hairs all through my hair, many of which are now around 4 to 6 inches long some10 months later, so I am guessing new growth began immediately. Since March I have been taking silica and biotin supplements in an effort to ensure the new growth comes in strong and doing monthly micro trims to thicken up ends.
i am nursing it back to health with months inversion therapy as well as pre shampoo coconut owing twice a week.
My hair is natural wavy . frizzy . wurly and all different textures all over my head, so really frustrating to deal with, which is why I went for the keratin treatments. I have been following the keratin straightening thread on here, and following Minko's experiences, I am contemplating booking in for the Kerasilk treatment at a local salon. I went and had a lengthy discussion with the stylist who is "the expert" in this treatment as i am concerned about going down this route again...but the fuzzy regrowth is driving me mad. He said my hair is on tip top shape...which i was happy to hear ...but not sure if that is his way or encouraging me to go ahead with the treatment. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18609&d=1440403966

First of all - thank you! That is a really encouraging story.

Your story mirrors mine in an almost eerie way.

I, too, went for a keratin treatment - and it didn't work the first time, so the salon said they'd do it again. Just like with you.

With me, the gap was 5 weeks, which is very, very bad - they should have told me to wait 3 months. For them to redo the treatment on you after 1 week is incredibly irresponsible.

Having said that - I was losing a lot of hair from the first time they did it, I just didn't notice it immediately, so maybe it wouldn't have made a difference.

Then, after I had my second treatment, hair was coming out from the root and I've now lost over 50% of my volume.

I, too, have seen Minako's posts about keratin treatments, and had been worried that someone like you would read them and think as you are thinking - that maybe this one will be okay for you.

I would advise you to take a good look at pictures of Minako's hair. Its texture and length and thickness is highly significant.

It is strong enough that (unlike most people) her hair (which is extremely thick) is the same thickness at the ends of her extremely long hair, as at the top.

As Minako herself admits - all she can say is that if you use Kerasilk on hair like hers you are likely to get similar results. And given how unusual her hair is - she's not the best example.

You want to find someone with hair similar to yours who has used Kerasilk and whose hair isn't falling out six weeks later.

Is your hair as strong as Minako's? Mine isn't, that's for sure. Despite 90% of it being virgin hair, that hadn't been blow dried or tonged or coloured - it wasn't strong enough for keratin treatments.

Also consider, that our hair has been through two harsh treatments and we've lost hair. So, even if Kerasilk is mild, it could be the last straw that breaks the camel's back, as the saying goes.

Obviously, the decision is yours to make. If you do go ahead, I will be all ears to hear about your experience and I will be hoping upon hope that it goes well.

Like you, my hair gets very frizzy, and, in all honesty, the first few days after my keratin treatments were the happiest hair days of my life.

But a few weeks of happiness don't make up for years of regret - because that's how long it will take for me to grow back the hair.

Think long and hard. And never, ever, listen to stylists. I went to the most reputable salon in London - they did Brazilians every day and had done so for over 10 years. It still ruined my hair though like so many others (http://www.short-hair-style.com/reaction-to-keratin-hair-treatment.html). I just paid a lot of money for the experience, that's all.

My thoughts on Kerasilk are that even if it is milder, my hair has already proven to be bad at withstanding this sort of treatment - so there's a very high risk it would happen again.

If the salon really cares about your hair - ask them to treat just one lock of your hair. Take a photo of it, and check if it has lost volume when six weeks have passed.

If not, you can go ahead and get the rest done!

I am crossing all my fingers and toes for you in hope that you get the shiny smooth hair you want. If not via Keratin, than how about wrapping? That's worked rather well for me.

P.S. I know it's annoying to be told it when you want sleek, straighter hair - but your hair is beautiful just the way it is. (Mine was nice too, but I STILL prefer it straighter!)

copperlites
November 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your words of wisdom Suzysu. I know what you mean and have thought all of those things myself and I am still on the fence. I think a strand test is an excellent idea. I think I will go and ask for that before a final decision. I think in my mind I have decided it's either try kerasilk or chop off at least the last 6 inches, which are not really bouncing back to their natural texture, making it look odd and stringy at the ends when airdryed and left down. This probably sounds silly but Part of my dilemma is that hubby loves it straight and smooth. Last weekend was our silk wedding anniversary... 12 years.... So I suggested the kerasilk treatment as a gift for him... And he liked the idea.... When my hair is in its natural state it is not easy to run ringers through and he does like to do that ...
Your experience sounds horrendous and I wish you a heap of success in re growing your hair. Do you have fine hair like me? What length is it now? Which brand of treatment did you have Susysu? I am wondering if some are worse than others? I know the behave (an Aussie brand) I had in December is supposed to be less harsh than the first type I had in August 2015. I think that is why the last 6 inches are still quite straight ... They have been straightened at least three times now by two different types of treatment ... I don't recall what the first one was as I was very ill informed at the time and just trusted the stylist. I've learnt since then.
I've kind of resigned myself to losing 6 inches, one way or another, either cutting due to breakage of not withstanding another treatment, or cutting to get back to more natural texture. I am not so ready to lose the regained thickness though ... It's a tough choice but I'm swayed by the fact that by infusing my hair with keratin the individual strands may gain some tnickness and added strength.

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks for your words of wisdom Suzysu. I know what you mean and have thought all of those things myself and I am still on the fence. I think a strand test is an excellent idea. I think I will go and ask for that before a final decision. I think in my mind I have decided it's either try kerasilk or chop off at least the last 6 inches, which are not really bouncing back to their natural texture, making it look odd and stringy at the ends when airdryed and left down. This probably sounds silly but Part of my dilemma is that hubby loves it straight and smooth. Last weekend was our silk wedding anniversary... 12 years.... So I suggested the kerasilk treatment as a gift for him... And he liked the idea.... When my hair is in its natural state it is not easy to run ringers through and he does like to do that ...

If you are doing it to please someone other than yourself, I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the disappointment afterwards should things go wrong.

copperlites
November 8th, 2015, 03:07 PM
If you are doing it to please someone other than yourself, I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the disappointment afterwards should things go wrong.
Oh I would never attempt it myself Lapushka... Only at a salon for anything involving chemicals. I've had a consultation at a salon, not the salon I usually go to as they are organic and don't do it. I will go and ask for a strand test before committing to the the treatment.

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Oh I would never attempt it myself Lapushka... Only at a salon for anything involving chemicals. I've had a consultation at a salon, not the salon I usually go to as they are organic and don't do it. I will go and ask for a strand test before committing to the the treatment.

I meant if you are doing it to please your husband (someone other than yourself), then don't do it. If you do it, do it FOR yourself, because YOU want to. Not for him.

copperlites
November 8th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I meant if you are doing it to please your husband (someone other than yourself), then don't do it. If you do it, do it FOR yourself, because YOU want to. Not for him.
Ahh ok .. Sorry.. It's early morning here and I read that wrong :)
The thing is. ..I prefer the feel of it when smooth too and I find it very relaxing when he plays with it if it's smooth. If he tries when its natural it's snaggy and painful rather than relaxing. It seems to tangle less and I get less breakage in de tangling if I have blow dried than if I have air dried. I love the look of some of the smooth loose waves on here but I just don't have that texture .. My natural texture can look ok day one but by day 2 or 3, and sometimes the afternoon of day 1, is a frizzy tangled mess. I do like to wear it down at least sometimes. I know I'm risking more breakage so it is a hard choice. Sorry for hijacking this thread Suzysu.

lapushka
November 8th, 2015, 04:07 PM
The thing is. ..I prefer the feel of it when smooth too and I find it very relaxing when he plays with it if it's smooth. If he tries when its natural it's snaggy and painful rather than relaxing. It seems to tangle less and I get less breakage in de tangling if I have blow dried than if I have air dried. I love the look of some of the smooth loose waves on here but I just don't have that texture .. My natural texture can look ok day one but by day 2 or 3, and sometimes the afternoon of day 1, is a frizzy tangled mess. I do like to wear it down at least sometimes. I know I'm risking more breakage so it is a hard choice. Sorry for hijacking this thread Suzysu.

Maybe he just needs to learn to run his hands *over* the hair rather than through it. Through the hair is *never* a good idea, not even when your hair is very smooth. There can always be tangles and then what. Ouch ouch ouch!

Suzysu
November 8th, 2015, 04:41 PM

We feel the way we feel, and I know exactly what you mean.

Objectively, I know my hair is pretty when curly, as I hope you know yours is pretty when wavy, however....while I think that - the happiness I felt when my hair was straightened and silky and smooth is hard to explain. I loved the movement of it. The way it would swish around silkily.

I also loved the added length. When you've been growing your hair for 15 years and it is still above your shoulders - to have it suddenly at armpit length was...amazing.

It's clear from your posts that you also prefer your hair straight - and your husband loves your hair straighter, and his feelings are relevant too. Most men do want to play with their partner's hair. Hair is not just there to be looked at.

And while our first motivation should always be how our appearance makes us feel, the impact it has on others we wish to attract, has got to be important too.

Just balance up the risk - because I'm sure he would rather you have wavy hair than missing hair.

I do think though, because you are so much happier with straighter hair, it is worth doing a strand test, as you say. That way you have no regrets either way.

Just don't be mislead by this idea that keratin treatments will make the strands at the bottom stronger. Don't forget it was a keratin treatment that made them weaker in the first place! Keratin treatments coat the hair to make it look stronger - when all goes well. It won't make them actually stronger. It's pseudo-science / spin - hair is dead, split ends can not be mended in any way.

Have you ever tried wrapping your hair to get it straighter? While you are making up your mind (or waiting to see how the strand test goes) why not experiment with different heat-free ways of straightening your hair?