PDA

View Full Version : Cleansing Conditioners?

sweetpeggyo
November 7th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Hi everyone! I'm still pretty new to the community and this is my first post :)

In June I went totally heat free and began using Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner 2-3 times a week. I've since switched to Sally's knock off of Wen (BYGO until the 15th!). I love the low maintenance of letting my hair air dry, and as a result of either the heat free method, the cleansing conditioner or both my hair seems less static-y, less frizzy and in overall in better shape. However last week I became a bit frustrated with the "less polished" look my hair had on non-wash days and wondered if it would damage my hair if I used the cleansing conditioner each day...

So does anyone else on here use cleansing conditioners? If so, how often? Would my hair and pocket book be better off just co-washing with a regular conditioner? Which kind? Please, share your experiences and suggestions on this topic! :)

TIA <3

cat11
November 7th, 2015, 07:37 AM
My experience is that cleansing conditioners are WAY better and totally different than using conditioner to co wash. Conditioner always gave me buid up- and I tried several methods and brands. But cowash is great. My faves are as I am naturals coconut cowash and palmers olive oil formula co wash :)

ravenheather
November 7th, 2015, 07:37 AM
I actually alternate as I am coconut co wash and trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner. Co wash rinses cleaner and joes is great when hair just needs freshening. Just give your hair what it needs.

meteor
November 7th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Oops, double post, sorry! :flower:

meteor
November 7th, 2015, 07:50 AM
It's great that you found something that works so wonderfully for you! :applause
And no, I don't think they can be damaging to hair. :) But do watch out for any additional shedding (some people do experience that, so choose not to CO-wash). And if, at some point, the hair starts feeling off, like it has build-up (lank, coated, frizzy, dry feeling...), clarifying and/or rotating to other products temporarily should fix it. ;)

I do like using cleansing conditioner sometimes, usually either when I'm travelling and don't want to pack many products or when my hair is extremely dry in winter time, when heaters are on... In the long run, since I don't like washing hair too frequently, I do prefer shampoos as cleansers simply because they normally contain stronger anionic surfactants and higher concentration of surfactants, and this allows me to stretch my washes more and keeps my scalp happier. :)

sweetpeggyo
November 7th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Thank you ladies! I was worried because the ingredients on the back still looked a little scary and I'd previously gone years washing with regular shampoo/conditioner only three times a week. I'll be sure to look into As I Am, Palmer's and Trader Joe's products...switching it all up will probably be a great thing :)

truepeacenik
November 7th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Ok, I'm curious what the differences are in a cleansing conditioner versus a CO washing.

To answer PeggyO, I'm thinking three times a week might be a issue. Try stretching to two and see if that helps.

Iirc, many of the CO devotees occasionally clarify.

I use CO in rotation, as it does encourage shedding all at once. I'd rather spread out the pain, thanks.

And now I'm singing Pretty PeggyO. My partner is amused.

meteor
November 7th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Ok, I'm curious what the differences are in a cleansing conditioner versus a CO washing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think a cleansing conditioner is just a product specifically marketed for CO-washing. So manufacturers might have taken certain issues into account, for example, limiting ingredients with build-up potential or the product's texture or its ability to suds up a little bit (when mixed in water and worked through hair really well)... Of course, lots of standard conditioners fit the bill as well, even if they might not have that specifically listed on the label. :) One just needs to check the ingredients and test it out on one's hair.

(These kinds of conditioners tend to be light and runny in texture, sometimes marketed as "volumizing", "light", "for fine hair"..., they tend to be low on silicones, waxes, butters, oils... and they are pretty different from "deep treatments", "masks", and heavy products marketed "for damaged, chemically treated hair", for example.)

luxurioushair
November 7th, 2015, 02:14 PM
I've never heard of those, conditioners always seem to leave particles behind...

jeanniet
November 7th, 2015, 02:32 PM
I don't experience any difference. I think the main thing is to get something that works with your hair and scalp. I use regular conditioner to wash and don't shampoo often at all--maybe every few months. I do an actual clarifying once or twice a year. Generally I wash with Suave Naturals.

sweetpeggyo
November 7th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks girls. I was wondering what the difference was and if I would get the same effect by using any old conditioner. I think I'll just try them all to find out!

@Truepeacnik--it's a fine tune to be stuck in your head, no? :)

Happy growing!

truepeacenik
November 7th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Come stepping down the stairs/combing back your yellow hair/ and say farewell to sweet William-o

AutobotsAttack
November 7th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Well ive used cleansing conditioner, and I can honestly say they kind of still feel like a conditioner to me, if you notice a good difference in your hair if you decide to use them then by all means do :) The Shea Moisture line of products have some good cleansing conditioners. I will say though, that I noticed less buildup with cleansing conditioners. I would say maybe co-washing 3 times a week? I tend to co-wash everyday but that's because my hair type really really likes moisture, but for me I just stick to co-washing they are kind of the same anyways if you take a gander at the ingredients labels when comparing products

jarlofthebogfey
November 7th, 2015, 09:27 PM
I actually alternate as I am coconut co wash and trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner. Co wash rinses cleaner and joes is great when hair just needs freshening. Just give your hair what it needs.

Yes! I LOVE TJ's "tea tree tingle" for co-washing. It seems to be very light and cleansing, and yet conditioning. It's my favorite for my budget. I often CO-wash, because I have to usually wash often (work and lifestyle). When I do grab shampoo, it's usually because I am washing out a hefty mask or other concoction of some type. But TJ's TTT will even clean out basic coconut oiling and the like from *my* hair. It cleanses henna really well, too. YMMV, but I love it, and I cannot easily co-wash with other things I have tried. *Usually* my hair leans towards build-up with most things. Especially just feeling "heavy" over all.