PDA

View Full Version : Heat for the Holidays

longhairjenny
November 6th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I'm usually really good about not using heat on my hair. But the holiday's are coming up, I have some special events to attend, and I want to "finish" my hair with an iron after it's air-dried from time to time. I'd love recommendations for the best practices and products you've tried. Thanks, and Happy Holidays! :xmas:

meteor
November 6th, 2015, 02:34 PM
What style are you going for, longhairjenny? :)

Sorry, I'm of no help with using heat, but if you just want to straighten 1a hair, I'm pretty sure you can get those results with just a smoothing product, a silicone serum and/or an oil and blow-drying hair on cool/warm setting while combing hair out straight while it's drying, or letting hair fully dry either in a hair doobie/wrap or in a "Kardoune" (ponytail wrapped in tight ribbon/pantyhose and it looks like this (http://www.edelweiss-cheveux.com/2014/05/kardoune-lisser-ses-cheveux-sans.html)), or, if you don't mind a bit of a body wave, in giant jumbo foam rollers (roll hair tightly for smoother finish).

Here is a very good video that shows helpful methods of heat-free straightening (though the hairtype is very different): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKn3WzlrlM

Generally speaking, I think silicones and oils help keep straight hair straighter, by weighing hair down a bit, smoothing it down and preventing frizz thanks to their occlusive action. :)
(If you do choose to use heat, always use a heat protectant, use the lowest heat setting and move the iron very quickly and only once.)

Preserve the style for longer by sleeping in a silky scarf/bonnet and/or on silky pillowcase. :)

Happy holidays! :cheer:

Rowdy
November 6th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Redken's Pillow Proof Blow Dry is amazing. I spray it on damp hair and it really 'sets' my hair. It really cuts down on my iron use, just some quick passes. On 1A hair you might not even need an iron with this. My hair also frizzes and explodes with the slightest humidity and this really prevents that.

I forgot to ask, are you looking for straightening iron recs too?

sarahthegemini
November 7th, 2015, 06:58 AM
What do you mean by 'finish' your hair?

Arctic
November 7th, 2015, 11:02 AM
What do you mean by 'finish' your hair?
Probably to give a finishing touch.

longhairjenny
November 7th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Thanks All. By "finish" I meant either use a flat iron to make it all perfectly straight or a curling iron to curl the ends a bit.

longhairjenny
November 7th, 2015, 01:34 PM
What style are you going for, longhairjenny? :)

Sorry, I'm of no help with using heat, but if you just want to straighten 1a hair, I'm pretty sure you can get those results with just a smoothing product, a silicone serum and/or an oil and blow-drying hair on cool/warm setting while combing hair out straight while it's drying, or letting hair fully dry either in a hair doobie/wrap or in a "Kardoune" (ponytail wrapped in tight ribbon/pantyhose and it looks like this (http://www.edelweiss-cheveux.com/2014/05/kardoune-lisser-ses-cheveux-sans.html)), or, if you don't mind a bit of a body wave, in giant jumbo foam rollers (roll hair tightly for smoother finish).

Here is a very good video that shows helpful methods of heat-free straightening (though the hairtype is very different): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKn3WzlrlM

Generally speaking, I think silicones and oils help keep straight hair straighter, by weighing hair down a bit, smoothing it down and preventing frizz thanks to their occlusive action. :)
(If you do choose to use heat, always use a heat protectant, use the lowest heat setting and move the iron very quickly and only once.)

Preserve the style for longer by sleeping in a silky scarf/bonnet and/or on silky pillowcase. :)

Happy holidays! :cheer:

Thanks!! I'm thinking all down, but straightened or curled.

longhairjenny
November 7th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Redken's Pillow Proof Blow Dry is amazing. I spray it on damp hair and it really 'sets' my hair. It really cuts down on my iron use, just some quick passes. On 1A hair you might not even need an iron with this. My hair also frizzes and explodes with the slightest humidity and this really prevents that.

I forgot to ask, are you looking for straightening iron recs too?

Thanks I might check that out! Sounds like the kind of product I'm looking for. :)

Carolyn
November 7th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't worry about using a heat styling appliance a few times over the holidays. I say style your hair however you want and then baby it with extra moisture afterwards. We have long hair to enjoy it!

meteor
November 7th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks!! I'm thinking all down, but straightened or curled.

Cool! :D My post above was for straightening, but for curling, I find it even easier to get any shape of curl/wave with heat-free methods.

Check out beautyklove's heat-free waves/curls videos, they are pretty amazing: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4626FAE04F57ED14

Some of the gorgeous curls are created by flexi-rods, magazine curls, bun maker curls and traditional roller-sets (using wet setting). Wet/damp-setting is non-damaging and can last longer, if done right. ;)

luxurioushair
November 7th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Hmm well if your hair is strong enough it shouldn't suffer any damage from a little holiday heat!

yahirwaO.o
November 7th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Yes a little heat its not wrong! Sometimes I finish my hair with a few flat iron passes. But meteor is absolutely right, sleek natural straight hair gets away with oiling and brushing, cones and deep conditioning too. That's what I do (1c.-1b) and often get a smooth 1A look.

And heatless curls usually hold a lot better than heat styling. You can check this link and the result is gorgeous and damn easy.

http://larkspurvintage.com/2015/01/28/beauty-rag-roll-curls/

sarahthegemini
November 8th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Probably to give a finishing touch.

Yes but in terms of hair, what does that mean???

Thanks All. By "finish" I meant either use a flat iron to make it all perfectly straight or a curling iron to curl the ends a bit.

Right okay. Well I don't see the point in using a flat iron if your hair is already 1a?? Maybe just use a serum?