PDA

View Full Version : Leave in conditioners

plainjanegirl
October 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I am thinking about trying one but not sure where to start and how to use it so I am gonna take a poll.

If you vote please also tell me how ... like do you use only on wet or dry hair .... do you use only on wash days....etc.

jivete
October 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Right now I'm using the generic matrix biolage as a leave-in and it's great. I use it on "wash" (I'm CO) days when my hair is still wet. I wash every other day and often on day two, my length gets a little dry so sometimes I'll mist it and apply a little more conditioner to the ends. I plan on getting some of the Giovanni Direct Leave-In but only because I like to buy new stuff.

The spray leave-ins aren't enough for me, but I do like to mist with aloe/glycerin/oil/distilled water recipe I got here.

AJoifulNoise
October 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
:gobblecheese:

I used a leave in and it made my hair stiff, dry, and angry.

ETA: That's the result of a commercial, coneful leave-in conditioner. I have great results with coconut oil.

mira-chan
October 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I use a leave in cream, cone-free. I only apply it after washing on wet hair.

Sprays wither have no effect, on wet hair, or make the hair feel sticky, on dry hair. No glycerin or aloe as my hair hates those. I do oil the length almost daily.

Altocumulus
October 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I use my regular conditioner mixed with a few drops of jojoba oil. I used to use a cream leave in, but got tired of buying it, so I thought I'd try using my regular conditioner, and it worked just fine. I tried a spray, but somehow I always seem to miss my hair and get my bathroom floor/wall/shower curtain instead.

Oops - forgot to say that I always use leave in on dripping wet hair. I might use just oil on dry hair - still working out how to do that without overdoing it!

maskedrose
October 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I just started using Fox's shea cream and I'm really, really happy with the results. For me it works best on wet hair and my ends have gone from super crunchy to soooooft :)

Buddaphlyy
October 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I really like Profectiv leave-in creams. I mostly use Break-free and MegaGrowth.

Philomela
October 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've been using Giovanni Leave-in for about a year, and couldn't be any happier.

plainjanegirl
October 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Ajoifulnoise and Mirachan : Do you oil on wet or dry hair or both??

AJoifulNoise
October 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I only oil on wet hair. Then, by the time it is dry the oil has been absorbed and my hair is so, so soft.

Carina
October 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I use different oils and sometimes conditioning cream.I like macadami oil the best.Coconut oil and jojoba in a 50/50 mix is a favorite too.

Fireweed
October 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I said cheese because I use a little olive oil with each comb out two times a day. My oil does work as a conditioner for my hair.

Dacia
October 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Cheese too, I use both spray and cream on wet hair, sometimes mixing the second with 1-2 drops of olive oil. I don't condition everytime I wash and I prefer deeper treatments when I do this. For saving time I guess they are ok.

Dulci
October 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I have used Beauty Without Cruelty's Revitalize Leave-in for several years now, I love it. :inlove: It is cone-free and makes my hair slippy & shiny. I use it only on dripping wet hair.

mira-chan
October 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I oil only on dry hair. Oil on wet hair was a disaster every time for me but then my hates plain water and humecants like honey and glycerin.

twilight_faerie
October 11th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I don't use a leave-in. Gross...makes my hair feel all greasy. Ugh.

eaglefeather71
October 11th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I just started using Fox's shea cream and I'm really, really happy with the results. For me it works best on wet hair and my ends have gone from super crunchy to soooooft :)

This is what I use as well, it's working great.

lady_hero
October 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I use a small amount of my regular condish with a squirt of aloe vera gel as a leave in. I only use a leave in when my hair is wet; it looks greasy if I put it on dry hair.

cuddledumplin
October 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I use regular conditioner as a leave in.

plainjanegirl
October 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I use regular conditioner as a leave in.

Do you use only on wet or dry hair or does it matter???

FrannyG
October 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I voted :cheese: here too. I like to use jojoba or extra virgin olive oil as a leave-in. I apply just 2-3 drops on my damp ends.

When I did use conditioner as a leave-in, I just used a pea-sized amount of my regular conditioner on wet hair. On dry hair it feels sticky.

However, I much prefer oils.

GlassEyes
October 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I used to use leave-in creams, and it depended on the brand whether I got results. I stopped when I started CO'ing and leaving in regular conditions.

Like I said before, creams are usually stronger and give weight, whereas creams are not necessarily WEAKER perse, but not as concentrated. The creams are good for thicker, coarser hair, and the sprays are good or fine.

My own hair is fine, but it's coarse unless I do anything to it and dry as heck, so I used creams.

Katze
October 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
well, I picked cream, because what I use isn't a spray...but it's not really a cream, either...

I prefer Goth Rosary as a leave-in to using it as a conditioner. When I really condition, I like a deeper conditioner, because I only condition the ends. GR condish works really well as a leave-in, and I use it several times between washes. It's also in my mister, along with aloe and water.

Sometimes, too, I oil my hair, but am only just starting to do this more as I am (finally) starting to wear my hair oiled and brushed smooth so I can put it up better). Oil can weigh my hair down pretty easily.

GR is, IMO, the best leave-in product I have ever found, and BF's hair likes it too even though he is wavier and thicker than I am.

harley mama
October 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I voted cheese because I use oil as a leave in.

HairColoredHair
October 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I use my regular conditioner as a leave in only if I'm in a hair funk. Otherwise, it's no leave-in for me. :)

GoldLady
October 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm having some really good results with Night Blooming's Panacea Cream that I just started using. Doesn't leave my fine, color treated hair the least bit greasy even if I use it twice a day.

I use it most heavily on the ends of course, then rub my hands together again and run it down from the crown of my head to the ends again. Cool beans.
:cheese:

willowcandra
October 12th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I use a spray. It works just fine for me. But on dry hair I use a smidge of jojoba.

I would like to try fox's end cream.

Exodus
October 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I voted spray, but that's just because I could choose just one alternative. So actually, both spray and cream leave-in goes for me. Lately I have mostly been using my new love MOP Pear Detangler (which is a spray). Sometimes I use both cream and spray. The cream could be for example Lanza Leave-in Protector. Whatever I use, I toweldry my hair first and then apply the product.

thankyousir74
October 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I used to use one but it just got my hair crunchy. All leave-in things did that to my hair and it just takes away the appeal. Coconut oil is all I'll ever need :inlove:

Curlsgirl
October 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I use Beauty Without Cruelty or Biolage conditioning balm most of the time and always on dripping wet hair the day of a wash.

chrissy-b
October 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I voted for cheese because the poll didn't allow me to make multiple choices, and didn't have one option that I use frequently: shea butter and coconut oil.

I mix up the different leave-ins I use depending on how my hair is feeling. Giovanni Direct, AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, coconut oil and shea butter all make it into my hair at some point after a wash. On the days I don't wash, I mist and add a little to the ends if they're feeling particularly dry or tangly. I rarely add any leave-in on my hair when it's dry.

Periwinkle
October 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I voted for cheese :D

I used to use a leave-in conditioner cream, which I LOVED. It was brilliant. However, they don't make it any more so I only have 1 1/2 bottles left :(

However, I'm trying to go no-cones, and I recently bought some coconut oil. I've found that the oil is so nice on my hair that I don't even need to condition! So recently, I've just been doing that and haven't used my coney leave-in.

Forever_Sophie
October 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I use a leave-in conditioner cream, ABBA Nourishing, but I get very similar results with Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship leave-in. It's a fraction of the ABBA price $2, instead of $18, so this might be a keeper.

rhosyn_du
October 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In just on my ends, and it has done wonders for keeping the velcro nasties away.

after hours
October 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Lately I've been having nice results with Sebastian Potion 9 cream leave-in.

I shampoo and condition my hair, towel dry a little, then apply a small amount from the shoulders down, concentrating more towards the ends.

Flaxen
October 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I have used leave-ins, but now I use a couple of drops of camellia oil on my clean, dry hair, so I voted:gobblecheese:

Fox's SBCC is very nice, but it takes effort to mix it up.:blushing:
Giovanni is nice, but I like oil better.
Beauty Without Cruelty is nice, too, but I like oil better.
Burt's Bees Avocado Butter was nice for a while, but then my ends felt dry. That has happened before with high glycerin products.

vindo
October 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Have never used one but I started leaving in Oil for days dec. 2007 :)

aries
October 18th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I use Beauty Without Cruelty on soaking wet hair and a small amount of either Jojoba or Camellia oil on the ends. On dry days after a wash I will use cocnut oil.

may1em
October 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I am like the leave-in queen. I own four.
Two are sprays, two are creams - one of the creams is the only cone product I have, and I use it rarely.
I use them (well, any one of them, unless I use the cone one, then I put one of the non-cone ones on first, then use the cones only on the ends and the nape area) on wet hair after washing. Used on dry hair they seem to cause buildup. Small amounts of oil on dry hair are better. I like jojoba and coconut, but I need to buy some more coconut oil.

Creams: Giovanni Direct and some Herbal Essences stuff in a blue bottle
Sprays: Giovanni VitaPro Fusion and a Korres rice protein one that I sort of regret buying.

ljkforu
October 18th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I use coconut oil on my hair and scalp whenever they feel dry. I tried Giovanni last week but was a little allergic to it. My skin is really picky. Oh, I also like Jason's Vit E oil liquid, it smells great and is a great alternate with the coconut oil on both hair and scalp.

Elanor
October 20th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I use my regular conditioner, but I often mix some shea butter or oils in it.

peachy.pudding
October 20th, 2008, 04:51 AM
1. I use my normal conditioner as a leave in - Aussie moisture miricle
2. I use olive oil on my ends

I canno't live without it, it makes my hair grow, strong, healthy, soft and shiney.

ImmortaLamia
October 20th, 2008, 05:03 AM
well as a leave-in I use a leave in conditioner spray Gliss from Schwarzkopf...prevents split ends and it makes my hair shinier and a little more blonde.

GibsonGirlV
January 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I make a concoction out of rosewater, coconut oil, biolage conditioning balm, TJ's nourish conditioner, and a touch of vo5 hairdressing. I keep it in a spray bottle and it's stuck between a cream and a liquid in terms of consistency. I shake it up before using and spray into wet hair after I've showered before combing. It works marvelously for me.

caribou55313
January 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
My hair is pretty fine and mostly straight ... any leave-in or oiling I've tried so far has made it stringy. I'm going to try the Fox's one mentioned here on the forum to see if my hair will go for that. I love shea butter on my skin so I'm hoping it will work for me.

Darkhorse1
January 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I use a leave in conditioner spray, but not all the time. It's awesome for static, but cones weigh my hair down. So, I use it intermitten with rinse out stuff.

Faepirate
January 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I've tried commercial leave-ins without much success, and my hair hates oil most of the time. I haven't ever found a cone-free one, or maybe I would've had more luck.

Sooo, I just use my normal con-free conditioner from Superdrug. :p I put it on damp hair with a drop of glycerin. I've had good results.

Carolyn
January 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I've finally found a leave in I like. It's Terax Life Drops. I also like Phyto 9. I usually apply to wet hair. Sometimes I'll add a bit to dry hair if it's real fly-away.

sibilum
January 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I've just started using a leave-in again (after many months only using coconut oil).

Belisama
January 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I use a conditioner on my length after I shampoo my scalp. That gets rinsed out before I get out of the shower, but then I massage a small amount of Giovanni's leave-in conditioner into my hair as well along with coconut oil on the ends. My hair is so fine that it tangles just by being looked at. Even with a wash-out conditioner and a leave-in conditioner, it takes me a long time to finger-comb my hair to a point that I can manage to use a wide-tooth comb on it. I also use a spray-conditioner once in a while too.

JamieLeigh
January 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I use a spray leave-in conditioner. I use it on wash days, and any other day in-between when I feel like my ends could use a little spritz! :)

plainjanegirl
January 14th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Do those of you who do use leave in conditioners notice that the cones in those affect your hair differently that the cones in shampoo or conditioner (that you rinse out) ?

NeilTheFuzz
January 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I've never used a leave in conditioner although I've been told the right one would be quite good with my hair. What I have used is some leave in serum stuff made by frizz ease. It made my hair a complete state and totally put me off using anything that is made to be left in hair. :(

Debra83
January 18th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I'm using mixed chicks but sometimes at to it some coconut oil. I'm presently checking my mailbox daily for the MT that I've ordered Tuesday just past. (4 days ago).

girlcat36
January 18th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Hhhmmm....for some reason, I am surprised by the results in this poll. I don't know why, but I thought more LHCer's would use regular condish as a leave in.

Copasetic
January 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I use the Giovanni leave in conditioner every day after i condition my hair. I need it, because it is really hard to comb and style without any product in it.

dearladydisdain
January 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I used to use leave in conditioner but it only really makes a difference for me when I'm detangling wet hair.

Miss_Muffet
January 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I use a leave-in cream every day. My favorite is Kiehl's but I have been tring out Bumble & bumble's and it is nice too. My hair would be too poofy without it!

kimmylou
January 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I use Aussie Hair Insurance. It seems to work ok. I'm still sort of clueless as to what I should be using. :o

plainjanegirl
May 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I am still trying to figure out the whole leave in thing. I do know that everytime I have put a leave in cream on my dry hair it makes my hair all sticky. I have tried some leave in creams on wet hair but haven't found one that really helps detangle the hair.

So are leave ins meant to be for moisturizing or detangling or both?

Maelyssa
May 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I always...absolutely always use a leave in. I use my regular conditioner...non-diluted as a leave in. I do find if it's cony that I had to watch for build-up & limpness but I'm once again trying the conefree routine & so far so good...no buildup & better volume but less wave.

My daughter all have amazing curls & I never use a styling product for them just plain old conditioner as a leave in & I get people stopping us in stores asking what I do for their hair. They're amazed when I tell them I use Suave Naturals as a leave in & that's it.

Carina
May 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I use them for both the moisture and the slip they give me.I really like Sante brilliant care conditioner as a leave-in now.

swirlytresses
May 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I use a leave in. I was using Giovanni but I found sometimes it was too heavy on my hair. I found a new leave in conditioner that I am in love with from Hoity Toity at finelotions.com . She doesn't have it listed on her regular website right now, but it is available. I love the scent and I found this is perfect for me, a 3a curly, my daughter a 3b curly, and my other daughter who has straight hair. This is very moisturizing without being heavy or "greasy" feeling. It is a leave in and detangler and works for all 3 of us, which is great. We use it on wet and dry hair. :)

jahof45
May 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Plainjanegirl, terrific topic. I was just getting to where I was going to start shopping for a leave-in. Thanks for posting this thread. Thank you everyone for the suggestions too.

sukhi_v1023
May 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I've been trying to simplify my routine, so I stopped using Tresemme's heat tamer spray as a leave in. I've been trying to use coconut oil on dry hair as a leave in, but I'm not having too much success with it. BUT... that might be because my hair's still getting used to a new hair routine.

I voted cheese, btw.

plainjanegirl
May 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Plainjanegirl, terrific topic. I was just getting to where I was going to start shopping for a leave-in. Thanks for posting this thread. Thank you everyone for the suggestions too.

Well i hope you have better luck finding one that your hair likes than what I have had.

jahof45
May 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Well i hope you have better luck finding one that your hair likes than what I have had.

I think I'll give the Suave Naturals a try. I'm using coconut oil but am not completely happy with the results.

curls2grow
May 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
My 2 HG leave-ins are Beauty Without Cruelty's and John Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler (it really is a nice leave-in and does great with detangling too).

I apply one of these every time I wet my hair, whether I CO wash that day or only WO wash. I can't get a comb through my wet hair without a good leave-in, even on days that I CO wash.

There was a period of time when my hair was shorter that I was unsure about BWC as a leave-in (it was also one of their prior formulas at that point). I used it on dry hair then and it worked well for softening my ends and taming frizz.

princess
May 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Jojoba oil as a leave in is good. It is non greasy and a few drops make your hair managable and soft. Though I have not used it DD used it and found it non greasy and great as a leave in.

ademtce
May 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
i usually wash with S&C and after apply a small amount of Nexxus humectress, undiluted in very small amounts to my ends and the remaining is run through my length on towel dried hair.

i really only use it cause it keeps my hair very straight when i straighten it. otherwise i'd be perfectly ok without it.

Marika
May 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Leave-in conditioner (cream) is a must for me. Recently I've been using my regular condioner undiluted as a leave-in with good results. I use Biolage Hydrating Balm and Tigi Oatmeal & Honey (both cone free). Leave-in sprays have no effect on my hair. I used to like Redken All Soft Soft Ends but they changed the formula and I haven't bought it since. Sometimes I use coconut oil too but I always mix it with conditioner to get the best results.

jahof45
May 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Leave-in conditioner (cream) is a must for me. Recently I've been using my regular condioner undiluted as a leave-in with good results. I use Biolage Hydrating Balm and Tigi Oatmeal & Honey (both cone free). Leave-in sprays have no effect on my hair. I used to like Redken All Soft Soft Ends but they changed the formula and I haven't bought it since. Sometimes I use coconut oil too but I always mix it with conditioner to get the best results.

I'll give the coconut oil and conditioner a try also. That might give me the best results also. :D

windinherhair
May 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I have never tried a leave in conditioner. I have always liked being able to rinse it out. Sometimes I would use a detangler spray or cream but now the conditioner I use leaves my hair so smooth that I don't have a problem with tangles anymore.

Nanni
May 18th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I use monoi oil as a leav-in on my ends. I also have a mister with a mixture of water lemon-juice and acv. After my hair is toweldried, I mist my har with the acv-mixture and let it dry for 10 to 15 minutes and then I oil the ends.

Heavenly Locks
May 18th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I used to use infusium 23 as a spray leave in. I stopped when I didn't notice a difference (plus I was out and couldn't find it...)

Now I use oil as a leave in once in a while.

pointydog
May 18th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I use Freeman's leave-in spray conditioner (the botanical one), but not that often. I have two bottles of it left and I don't think they make it anymore so I'm reading this hoping to find something else I can try....
It does a nice job of making the fluffy hair at my temples form ringlets. I usually overspray my dry hair with it when I'll be out in the sun or when the short hair at my temples got slept on and looks silly. I've also sprayed it into the length when I'm wearing my hair down and scrunched it to bring out what natural waves I have.

I use regular conditioners and rinse out after every wash, so what I use for leave-in doesn't seem to matter that much.

Arctic
May 18th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I voted that I use my regular conditioner as a leave-in. I sometimes use it straight, sometimes dilute with water, sometimes mix with aloe gel and sometimes aloe and shea butter and water. It depends. I get very good results. I use them after wash of wet hair and also often before I go to sleep I apply some in my ends.

I have experimented with store bought leave-ins but have not yet found a good one. Most of them have proteins and silicones. The ones I have tried have been either doing nothing to me, were really strong smelling, or made my hair sticky (I guess it's the protein).

I used to use oils but my skin/scalp doesn't tolerate oils well, only occasionally like in pre-shampoo oiling. Adding tiiny bit of shea seams to be okey for my skin, but I haven't experimented it much yet so this might change.

clairenewcastle
October 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
I used to swear by leave-in conditioners for my hair has always tangled easily. They made my hair softer and more easy to comb - guess it was all that silicone. John Frieda's Emergency Treatment was a big favourite of mine for a while. Once I went cone-free two years ago I wasn't able to find one without cones and turned to jojoba oil for my ends.
Best decision I could have made.

~GypsyCurls~
October 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
I use Kinky-Curly Knot Today and am happy with it. It seems difficult to find a leave-in that's cone free (of course this isn't a problem for everybody). I have tried using regular conditioners as leave-ins, but it's never worked. I tried V05, Suave, and GVP Conditioning Balm.

SurprisingWoman
October 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Not a big fan of leave in conditioners. They make my hair feel too different.

Laylah
October 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I used to use Garnier Fructis sleek and shine leave in conditioner cream, but It made my hair feel waxy/dull and dry at the ends. (maybe from all the cones? A little cones make my hair shiny, but I think this one had too much.) When I used it, it was when my hair was still damp after washing. Now I use oil as a leave in conditioner, still when my hair is damp after washing.

colibri
October 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM
i have used a leave in conditioner but now i run out of it so i have to go and buy a new bottle.it was a spray leave in conditioner

lookingglass
October 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (a regular condish but I only use it as a leave in) or Alba Unscented Leave In (cream-my current fave!). I have been CO'ing with Nature's Gate Jojoba (love the almondy scent, cheap $, lots of jojoba, and medium consistancy), with the occasional 'poo. Then, on wet hair in the shower, I shlop on a big handful of cream condish, give it a light shower to thin it out a bit and detangle. Then I squeeze out the excess water and wrap the whole lot in a towel while I do my a.m. routine. Then I put in about 3 handfuls of FotE aloe gel and style. I am totally happy with my routine-FINALLY!

emeraldfaery
October 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I apply a coney cream leave in conditoner while my hair is wet. Only a dimeful though, as my hair gets nasty and crunchy if I use anymore than that.

Shiva
October 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've been using a bit of Goldwell's Kerasilk leave-in on my ends and length lately.

rosek
April 4th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I use a leave-in cream. It is coney, but my hair likes that! I just it after squeezing the excess water out of my hair.

Laylah
April 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I voted for cheese because I used to use a leave in cream (see previous post) but it was awful- made my hair all waxy and tangled. I also tried using a watered down regular conditioner with the same effect (Jason). Now I usually use EVOO and shea butter as a leave in, sometimes jasmine oil for the scent. I caution those of you in colder or temperate climates for using coconut oil as a leave in, because if it solidifies in your hair, it gets pretty icky.

justme
April 4th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I use a pea sized amount of Phyto 7 leave-in cream on sopping wet hair which has helped me reduce the number of splits I get. Sometimes I even dunk my head under the water after putting it in to make sure it's not too concentrated.

I used to use jojoba oil or coconut oil, but stopped when I lived in a very polluted place (Korea). Maybe the oils would work here in clean Oregon, but I'm used to the Phyto 7 now.

katha
April 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I bought some leave in conditioner (from a brand called Logona) recently and I like the way it makes my hair easier to detangle after washing. Also, it seems to dry less frizzy.

deko
April 4th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I use Phyto 9 when I remember and when my ends seems to need extra care. If I have the time I rather wet my ends and use Aubrey Organics White Camellia condish on my ends and rinse it off.

Jordan S.
April 4th, 2010, 11:49 PM
My hair dries so much sleeker when I use my Garnier sleek and shine leave in conditioner. That stuff is a keeper :D

Capybara
April 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I use oil as my leave in :D
I find it lasts longer than the conditioner. My hair is very thirsty..

Verybadhairday
April 6th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Do people use a leave in conditioner after they've already used 'proper' conditioner?

Loreley
April 6th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I used leave-in cream and spray but went cone-free and they were full of cones so give them to my sister. Now I use oil instead of them and wet oiling is much more effective for me than leave-ins. :smile:

-j-
April 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I use a leave in cream, Sebastianīs potion 9 on towel dried hair. Iīve had the 500 ml bottle about 2 years and I bet itīll last at least another two...

I also use coconut oil to the ends, usually before wash.

Phalaenopsis
April 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I use a leave-in conditioner spray ánd a leave-in conditioner cream. Karpati Detangle It is a spray. It's conefree and light, so great for my fine hair and tangles. Karpati Hair Repair, conefree and still quite light, I use it for my damaged length.

PadmeAmidala
April 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I use different oils, like coconut, almond and avocado, and sometimes a cone-free spray leave-in. My hair is rather dry - and very thirsty!

whoanellie
April 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I occasionally use Giovanni Direct Leave In conditioner as a leave in, but I can't say that I've noticed any particular improvement. Probably in part since I only do it once a week or less, but I'm just only starting to take more mindful care of my hair. I have to admit that I hate the bottle, because I have another of their conditioners that I'm trying to use up because it's difficult to pour out and because I don't really like the scent. :P I'd like to actually find a new leave in to try out.

Tovah
April 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I wash, condition and rinse and then use Ojon Restorative Leave in Treatment on very damp hair.
I love how it makes my hair feel and how it smells. Once in a while I use coconut oil-but I have had experiences with it making my hair stringy.....Yeah, I know I'm probably using a bit too much.

justme
April 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Do people use a leave in conditioner after they've already used 'proper' conditioner?

Yes. It helps to protect the fragile old ends and make everything smoother, more moisturized, and happier. ;)

Floh
September 5th, 2016, 07:34 AM
I have never used a leave in conditioner.

lapushka
September 5th, 2016, 07:40 AM
I use the LOC method (see signature). More than a leave-in. My wavy hair needs the moisture!

Sapeli
September 8th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I use Unique haircare leave-in conditioner spray or Less is more Proteinspray. Unique really brings out the waves/curls. Both are organic.

Arctic
September 8th, 2016, 11:26 AM
I voted that I use my regular conditioner as a leave-in. I sometimes use it straight, sometimes dilute with water, sometimes mix with aloe gel and sometimes aloe and shea butter and water. It depends. I get very good results. I use them after wash of wet hair and also often before I go to sleep I apply some in my ends.

I have experimented with store bought leave-ins but have not yet found a good one. Most of them have proteins and silicones. The ones I have tried have been either doing nothing to me, were really strong smelling, or made my hair sticky (I guess it's the protein).

I used to use oils but my skin/scalp doesn't tolerate oils well, only occasionally like in pre-shampoo oiling. Adding tiiny bit of shea seams to be okey for my skin, but I haven't experimented it much yet so this might change.

Looks like I've got it all figured out in 2009. I could have written this same post today, ha ha, maybe with more determination and certainty than with the slight uncertain tones I had back then.

Sapeli
September 8th, 2016, 12:06 PM
I must try diluted or mixed conditioner some time. I have one conditioner, which is absolutely too heavy for my hair, but it might work as diluted quite well. Never thought of that. Great, thank's!

animetor7
September 8th, 2016, 01:10 PM
I use a leave in conditioner and coney serum on damp hair on wash days only. What I do is I let my hair dry in a towel or t-shirt for 15-20 minutes while I put lotion on, finish up my face routine, get dressed etc. then I take my hair down and put in the leave in and serum before detangling with my tangle teezer. Your hair looks a bit curlier than mine so you might need to do things in a slightly different order, but I'd still recommend using it on damp hair because the point of most leave ins are to seal in moisture which is best done on damp hair. Also start with only a very small amount of leave-in and then add more if necessary to avoid greasies and any weird waxiness that can happen from too much leave-in. For example, I have hip length hair and only use about a nickel sized amount of serum and a dime sized amount of leave in conditioner. I use biosilk as my coney serum and any organix leave-in for my conditioner. Good luck finding something that works for you!!!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 8th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I have never used a leave in conditioner - unless you count the LOC method? I use that pretty regularly as needed.

lucy.kate1994
September 12th, 2016, 10:48 PM
I use a Toni and Guy prep smoothing detangler as a kind of leave in conditioner, pretty sure it is mainly silicone but may hair feels great and it stops it from getting so tangled so I love it!

Complexity
September 14th, 2016, 02:18 PM
I've never used a leave in conditioner. Might try with reg conditioner sometime (after I figure out if it's a good one. It's new!).

Miata
September 16th, 2016, 04:48 AM
I have used a couple out in the past (an Aussie one, Redken Anti-Snap, a couple of others but I forget the brand names) but since I've grown out all the bleached lengths I've never really felt like they made enough difference now to warrant keeping up with using them. They didn't make my hair feel greasy or crunchy or induce any other weird or horrible state, I just didn't feel like they did much of anything for me anymore. My hair isn't dry (used to be oily in my teens/early 20s, but not anymore), but it's quite coarse even though it's fairly straight and it just drinks up everything that I put on it, but usually to not much discernable effect. If I don't put much/anything on it, it doesn't seem to suffer for being neglected at all really. I put a little of the same monoï oil that I use as a body oil on the last couple of inches of my hair after I wash it, just because I feel like it's probably smart in the longterm to protect the ends with something to help prevent splits, but I don't really notice a difference in how my hair feels or behaves when I sometimes forget to do it. I guess my hair is pretty low maintenance in its natural state.

Pacific
October 7th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I don't use a leave in conditioner.

Margrit
September 20th, 2018, 07:46 AM
I have never used a leave in conditioner.

EmeraldSkies
September 21st, 2018, 08:20 AM
I use a leave in conditioner when my hair is still a little damp to lock in the moisture. Previously, i use it on dry hair and couldn't figure out why it leaves my hair feeling dry. I guess I'm just locking in the dryness.

elfynity
September 22nd, 2018, 10:31 AM
I use my organic regular conditioner and either spray it onto my dry ends mixed with water or take a glob straight out the bottle and smear it on. I then put my hair up in a bun and just leave it. I sometimes do this twice a day.

GoatLady
December 26th, 2022, 09:38 AM
I use a cream.