PDA

View Full Version : Does wearing wigs damage your hair

Soulina
November 5th, 2015, 02:59 AM
My friend asked me that "Am I not worried about the damage that wigs will do to my hair?", I was bit shocked because I thought that wearing wigs occasionally, would be safest option to have fancy hair in parties.

I am now growing my virgin color back (I have dyed my hair since I was 9 ) and I love it, but it does not suit my "style" when I go out. I like to dress up in this Gothic style that includes heavy make up, huge fake lashes, colored contacts that make eyes look bigger (I have several different colors ;) ) corsets, platform shoes etc. I want my hair to fit my style, but I do not want to dye it or use heat on it etc. So I have bought few wigs, synthetic hair in all the colors of rain bow (red, purple, green, blue) and in all lengths. They look fake but that just makes them fit the style even more.

While wearing a wig my hair is folded in this wig cap thingy, so its flat on my head (I have almost waist length hair) and the wig just goes on like hat, some times I use few hair pins to secure it. I don't know how this does damage, and as I mentioned I wear wigs only when I go out, so maybe few times a month.

Normally I just dress in black clothes and tone down my make up (no fake lashes or contacts). I am now 23, and I have dressed like this when going out since I was 14. I love to dress up like this and it really has come big part of me. Is there better way than wigs to have my hair fit my "party-me"?

Nique1202
November 5th, 2015, 03:17 AM
Extensions and weaves absolutely damage hair because they have to be sewn or glued in. As long as you're wearing a secure wig cap under the wig though (to avoid anything slipping around and rubbing against the hair) I can't see how folding your hair up under it is any more damaging than a braid or bun.

chen bao jun
November 5th, 2015, 06:33 PM
I dont think a wig is damaging except that some people wear a wig every day and fail to take care of their hair under it. (I know because my mom gets into this and lets her hair get matted under a wig and then loses a lot of hair when she does try to wash/comb it). If you don't do that, you should be fine.

Soulina
November 5th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Chen bao jun I wear wigs maybe 8-12h at the time few times a month so that wont be problem.

Thank you for reassuring me. Now I can happily wear my wigs when I go out knowing that my hair is protected while I party :rockerdud

yahirwaO.o
November 5th, 2015, 11:52 PM
How are you suppose to secure a wig without being sewn or glued? And not having that tumbled weave typical problem?

Is it with bobby pins or clips?

I'm a guy, so i have zero idea in that field!

Soulina
November 6th, 2015, 12:20 AM
yahirwaO.o Same way you put hat on, these are wigs that are not meant for every day use. I use hair bins to secure it to wigcap. (http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_216581_2.jpg) And my hair is folded under the wig cap.
The wigs are like these: http://www.afoxintl.com/catalog/images/images_big/short-wigs-china-doll-dark-blue.jpg

And wigs do stay quite well, they will come of if someone yanks them hard enough, but are easily put back :) Wearing wigs is quite common among my friends that dress in the same style.

parkmikii
November 6th, 2015, 03:36 AM
Literally no damage. I used to wear wigs too with the same type of cap and there was no damage. Maybe she doesn't know how to secure the hair under the wig cap so it got tangled and she just got breakage from that?
No idea but they did no damage for me :)

chen bao jun
November 6th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Lacefronts do damage your hairline but it is is clear that you are not wearing those. and they are super super expensive, so most people can't afford them.

meteor
November 6th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I dont think a wig is damaging except that some people wear a wig every day and fail to take care of their hair under it. (I know because my mom gets into this and lets her hair get matted under a wig and then loses a lot of hair when she does try to wash/comb it). If you don't do that, you should be fine.

I agree! :agree:

If you just place it on top, and your hair is taken care of and styled protectively underneath, and your scalp is healthy and doesn't feel too hot/sweaty, I don't see any problem at all. :)

I would also imagine that so-called Halo extensions ("hidden crown extensions" - the ones that just sit on hair, without pins, covered by canopy layer) should be non-damaging, as long as there are no tangling issues on placement and removal... :hmm:

Other extensions can be very damaging either due to glue or clips or added weight pulling on specific spots for too long... cases of traction alopecia due to extensions are very common. :(