PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Migraines

Bunnehlvr22
November 4th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I struggle with migraines. I don't get them but twice a month but they hit hard. My hair pulls a lot and I have a sensitive scalp. I can't help but wonder if cutting it short would make having the migraine easier for the 3+ days of misery. I know it won't prevent my migraines but it might make my life easier when I have it. Because when I have migraines brushing hurts, washing hurts, it swinging around hurts, and putting it up hurts. Even dividing the hair across my scalp hurts. I have started trying meds for my migraines but it's just the first experiment with meds. The meds do seem to help with the pain so far but I still feel blegh, especially the right eye area.

Groovy Granny
November 4th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I feel for you; I have the same trials. (((Hugs)))

Personally I am most comfortable just putting it in a loose scrunchie ponytail slung over a shoulder.

Please don't cut it :tmi:
Just keep trying gentle measures to contain/support it.

Those few days you are miserable anyway; the rest of the month you'd be miserable without your pretty lengths (if that is the only reason you have for cutting).

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for your comfort and healing :flowers:

Rushli
November 4th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Mine aren't usually sensitive to wearing my hair up, but on the rare chance they do (usually because it interferes with trying to sleep or massaging my head) I will often plop my hair in a t shirt. Keeps my hair together but out of the way quickly. I don't have a snood, but I imagine it would work the same.

lapushka
November 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I'm having one right now (since about 2 o' clock). If I take Ibuprofen 800 mg (not a lower dosage as that does nothing) *right* away, it usually lessens to "just" a regular headache. And then it's okay for me to endure. But I have to be quick about it, or the migraine hits full force and I'll throw it all up.

I doubt having it shorter will do much good. But it's all up to you. Hair is not that heavy that it can "hurt" you, but I definitely get it "getting in the way".

Your decision. I wouldn't do it, but that's me.

Wavelength
November 4th, 2015, 01:54 PM
It won't really help. I've had migraines for years and they started when my hair was much shorter. The pain is about the same either way. You just have to keep experimenting with other styles (like a loose braid or putting it in a snood).

LegoCaltrops
November 4th, 2015, 02:00 PM
I get hemiplegic migraines, have done for over a decade. If unmedicated I can get up to 15 attacks a month, so basically I don't get a break between attacks. When I started with them, my hair was about WL. I've since had it chopped progressively shorter - I had a 1 inch pixie until about a year ago.

None of it made any difference. I'm growing my hair again. The only plus point, migraine-wise, about super short hair, is that it takes about 5 minutes to shower & dry it & get back in bed. Useful on the really bad days.

Nearly forgot. Depending on the type of migraines you get, people get different additional symptoms. I lose strength & co-ordination on one side, so brushing long hair was always difficult. DH used to try but he can't even do a plain English braid.

chen bao jun
November 4th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I have migraines. Hair just feel uncomfortable while you are having them. My short hair still used to bother me. I don't think you should cut.

Mirabele
November 4th, 2015, 03:38 PM
cutting hair won't help, dear. it is just because when you are in so much pain, everything seems to worsen it. i have migraines, been having them all my life since i was 8. i have thin fine hair. when i am in pain, so much things makes it worse, for me especially light, sound and vibration. also, earrings. i think i take away my bracelets, watch and rings too when i am under seriuos migrain attack.
my point is, i understand you, but when it hurts, everything is a mess, i don't believe cutting hair would help.
i am now under blood pressure medications that helps a lot for my migraines, i am having much less migraine than before and the attacks last shorter and are less painfull. i usually have once a month now and it last less than 8 hours, so i can live with that. i have also migraine medication for seriuos attacks. before i went on medication, i had seriuos attacks once every week that lasted for several days and nights. uh. i remember thinking that migraine took a part of my life away then.

PhoenixRaech
November 4th, 2015, 04:09 PM
So sorry to hear you are struggling with this! I, too, suffer from sever migraines.

I *finally* went to a neurologist this month, and was told the medication I was taking was causing rebound headaches! The treatment plan I'm on now includes focusing on getting good sleep, and something different for pain.

I know everything hurts when you have a migraine, and it can be nearly unbearable, but having shorter hair has never lessened it.

Keep your pretty hair, and maybe try melatonin for sleep. It's done a world of good for me. Best wishes!!

Rushli
November 4th, 2015, 04:14 PM
cutting hair won't help, dear. it is just because when you are in so much pain, everything seems to worsen it. i have migraines, been having them all my life since i was 8. i have thin fine hair. when i am in pain, so much things makes it worse, for me especially light, sound and vibration. also, earrings. i think i take away my bracelets, watch and rings too when i am under seriuos migrain attack.
my point is, i understand you, but when it hurts, everything is a mess, i don't believe cutting hair would help.
i am now under blood pressure medications that helps a lot for my migraines, i am having much less migraine than before and the attacks last shorter and are less painfull. i usually have once a month now and it last less than 8 hours, so i can live with that. i have also migraine medication for seriuos attacks. before i went on medication, i had seriuos attacks once every week that lasted for several days and nights. uh. i remember thinking that migraine took a part of my life away then.

I tried a beta blocker for a few days. It helped the migraines so much! I was having them daily and only got 1 in the four days on it. Unfortunately my OB did not take into account my BP (96/62) and did not tell me it was a BP med (first med I did not read up on myself) and I passed out and had several days of lightheadedness and fogginess before coming off it. (There were many miscommunications about the whole thing and have learned not to trust Drs and always do my own research) but if you have normal BP, and are not pregnant, it might work great for someone! Lol

LegoCaltrops
November 5th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Beta blockers are also no good if you have asthma.

I've totally lost faith in doctors to consider me as a whole person. I feel they just look at the individual symptoms I present with on any one occasion. So I'm quitting the migraine meds & going the natural route. Scared (a bit) & expensive as in the UK we are supposed to get prescriptions for a set price which is why taxes are relatively high here, but the things I need aren't covered on the NHS. But, so far, no major problems. I'm not fully off the prescription meds yet though.

Bunnehlvr22
November 6th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone. :) I must admit I'm a little disappointed that shorter hair doesn't make life with migraines easier
I'm going to try to destribute hair hair across my scalp when I get them and just trial and error what hairstyles might work.

LegoCaltrops
November 7th, 2015, 04:09 AM
You said you get two a month, does that mean they're predictable? If so, I'd probably start with a plain English braid, not too tight, from the nape of the neck. Avoid anything fixed onto the head, in my experience. You want the weight to fall as naturally & evenly as possible, with no lumpy bits anywhere in case you need to lay down.

You could secure the braid higher or lower on different occasions if you're concerned about breakage from the band. Or use a soft scrunchie & put the end up above your head.