PDA

View Full Version : Self trim questions

Amberlee
October 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi again - always with the questions me. I know I don't participate a lot, and I really appreciate that folks take time to answer me anyway.

So, I did a self trim last night. Prior to trimming, I had layered hair with the shortest layers at APL and the longest a couple inches beyond BSL - so a pretty deep V. But, my shorter layers were very bulky and my longest ones sparse. I was hoping to achieve a layered U. I checked out Feye's tutorials - candidly, they seemed a little advance to me. So, I did the banded pony on the front top of my head.

I tried it out first on my 4yo's blunt cut (I know, I'm the devil - but she's cute no matter what her hair looks like). It came out a very gentle U - no noticable layers - but of course, her hair is very fine and stick straight.

I got a deep very layered V. It's fine, but not really what I was looking for. My shortest layers are now shoulder length and I didn't really lose any length at all. So, I gather that I only cut enough to get rid of some of my excess bulk - not enough to get to the longest layers.

Any thoughts on if I did something wrong?

If I still want more of a U (and honestly, I'm not decided) do you think I should man up and use Feye's method to just get rid of some of my longest layers or do you think I should repeat the banded pony and cut off more?

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

Altocumulus
October 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Just guessing - your 4 year old's head is smaller so there is a shorter distance between her nape and crown, which is what gives the layering when the hair is cut using the banded pony method? When you pull all of the hair into a pony on top of your head, the hair near the nape has further to travel to reach the tip of the pony that the hair on the crown. When you cut the ponytail, the crown hair ends up shorter than the nape hair. Exactly where you put the ponytail (i.e., forehead? crown?) makes a difference too.

I would think that you will always get layers using this method, but you might be able to tweak the length of the layers by varying where you put the ponytail.

I use Feye's method for a u shape, and it's really easy! Just try it - you'll see!

manderly
October 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I also used Feye's U method. It's really much easier than it sounds. I was doing it and kept running back to the computer to make sure I was following the directions right. Once I did it, I was like "Oh, that was easy!"

Amberlee
October 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the cheering. I will look at Feye's method again.

And, yes, I think if I had placed the pony further back, my layers might be less significant - but I'm not sure pony placement would effect/affect (I can never keep those straight) the hemline.

Heidi_234
October 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Could somebody be so kind and link me to Feye's method? I'm intrigued.

manderly
October 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Here you go:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

Carolyn
October 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't know how you could avoid layers cutting your hair in that manner. The purpose of that cut is to layer the hair. I'm assuming you wanted to get rid of your longest and thinnest layers? Feye's method isn't hard at all. It takes a little practice but it's easy.

may1em
October 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I used Feye's U trim last night and it wasn't hard at all. It's good to bring the two sides together in the front to check that they're the same length, but that's about it.

Heidi_234
October 16th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Here you go:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

thank you, silly me I forgot to google outside LHC :brickwall